The Power Within - Transforme...

By babsgordon152

The sequel to 'Scars Don't Heal - Transformers Prime'. Amanda Beckett had changed. She became a leader, a fri... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Conclusion
Author's Note
Author's Note - Update

Chapter Twenty-Three

2.9K 85 41
By babsgordon152

[Amanda]

  "We haven't had somebody new here since Wheeljack!" Miko said as she ran up the stairs to the platform as the new comer walked alongside it. "What's your story, Smoke?Where'd you come from? How'd you get here? How many blasters you packin'?"

  The new comer looked a little overwhelmed. "So these are the life-forms we're supposed to protect? Are they all like this?"

  "Fortunately not." Ratchet said. "But I too share Miko's fascination with how you came to arrive on Earth."

  "In a Decepticon escape pod." Arcee added, suspicion in her tone. I was glad they were at least questioning this new guy. From my spot on the couch, I watched Smokescreen carefully, trying to get a gauge on him as he talked with the others.

  "Still got trust issues, huh? Tough crowd." He said, tone slightly prideful. "The main thrust of combat operations was at least 20 clicks from the Hall of Records, so things had been pretty quiet, but the situation went downhill fast. The Cons launched a massive surge that wiped out the last line of defenses surrounding Iacon, and I was the only thing left to hold them back, and let me tell you, I was pumped. I mean, this was my chance to see real action for the first time to prove myself. Until everything went black. Cons took me prisoner, and dumped me onto a transport ship, but I managed to give a guard the slip and hopped in an escape pod. Apparently, it was a long-distance pod, cause it knocked me into stasis. Next thing I knew, I'm hitting solid ground hard."

  I frowned, not liking his tone. Smokescreen sounded like an ignorant and big headed Autobot, but I could sense his story was true. Also, we really were in need of someone on our side.

  "The Decepticon warship must have picked up the pod's beacon and guided it to Earth," Ratchet thought out loud.

  Arcee walked forward. "Which would explain Smokescreen's welcoming committee. Bet those Cons were disappointed not to find one of their own inside."

  "Smokescreen," Optimus said, causing the new comer to turn rapidly. "Do you know of Alpha Trion's fate after the fall of Iacon?"

  He shook his head. "I wish I did, but that was the last I ever saw of him." Smokescreen sounded genuinely sad, and I saw disappointment and grief flicker over the Prime's face before he regained himself.

  "That's it." Smokescreen shrugged. "My life story. Not exactly the glory I envisioned for myself until now. Being here with Optimus Prime..." He grinned. "I knew I was destined for great things. I mean, now that you have help, how hard could it be to end this war?"

  I sucked in a breath, as did the others. Then the scraping of metal and grunting made us all turn to see Bulkhead struggling to drag his almost paralyzed leg along to stand in front of the group. Miko surged forward, but Jack caught her wrist, shaking his head. He was right to do so. Bulkhead had murder in his eyes.

  "Take a good look, Newbie." The wrecker growled. "This is how hard."

  The base went silent for a long moment before Optimus spoke up.

  "Smokescreen," The Prime said. "I would suggest that you take some time to become acclimated to your new surroundings. A tour of the base would be an excellent start." He glanced towards the five of us, who were in the living area.

  "Sure thing!" Miko said automatically before glancing at Bulkhead. "I mean, Jack and Finn here offer very informative tours. Take it away boys!"

  Jack gave Miko a look and Finn turned to me with 'help me' written all over his face. I just shrugged, biting back my smirk as they both walked down the platform and lead Smokescreen through the base. Once they left, I stood and followed Miko towards Bulkhead.

  "Ready?" I asked the wrecker, who nodded and sat down. I climbed down the platform and landed in front of him, placing both my hands on his almost-paralyzed leg. Taking a deep breath, I willed my powers to do what they could to ease his pain and mend his leg. I had been doing this every day since Bulkhead first woke up, and it was working, but slowly. The damage he sustained from the Tox-En and the other injuries he got while fighting a group of Insecticons lead by Hardshell was massive, too big for me to fix all at once. I didn't have enough power or energy to fix him in one go.

  I wasn't sure how much time passed, but pain shot up my body and I pulled back, my silver dust fading from around the wrecker. Feeling a wave of nausea, I stumbled back a few steps before sitting down to prevent myself from falling. I dimly noticed Miko coaching Bulkhead back to the medlab and the wrecker thanking me as he passed by.

  Focus. Breathe. Breathe.

  The nausea passed and I looked down at my hands. The burns that I got while taking the Tox-En out initially had faded, but still ached slightly. The scars from it would never fade, that I knew, but I didn't mind too much, knowing that I'd helped save a life. A movement in front of me made me look up to see Optimus' outstretched hand. I climbed on and he placed me on his shoulder, which made me smile slightly. Then I noticed the others were arguing.

  "If you wanted to replace me, you should have called Wheeljack." Bulkhead was saying grumpily, his tone sharp as we walked towards the slight commotion. "I could have lived with that."

  "No one is replacing you, Bulkhead," Arcee's tone was exasperated. "For one thing, Smokescreen's too green."

  Miko made a confused face. "Well... Bulk's green too..."

  Ratchet shook his head, sighing. "What Arcee means is Smokescreen still has a great deal to learn."

  "And once you got him trained, then what, huh?" Bulkhead snapped. "He's in and I'm a doorstop!"

  "Bulkhead," Optimus' finally spoke up, voice the usual calm. "Your place with us is not in jeopardy. But, there is no dispute that we have long required additional firepower. It is essential that our team learns to work with our new recruit, not against him."

  The wrecker frowned, but deflated a bit. "Better hope the hotshot's blasters are as big as his mouth."

  "Hey, everyone!" Raf called from the human computers on the platform and Optimus turned, giving me a view of the younger boy. "Check this out." He clicked a few buttons and sent an image to the main computers.

  "Don't tell me it's another Bumblebee sighting." Ratchet grumbled before he saw what it was in the picture. "Oh my-"

  I narrowed my eyes, somehow recognizing the red crystal-like rock in the image. "Red Energon?"

  "What's Red Energon?" Raf asked, shooting me a questioning look. I shrugged, not knowing that answer.

  "It's an extremely rare and volatile form of energon," Ratchet explained, saving me from having to. "If refined into fuel, it provides the power of hyperspeed."

  That certainly would be useful against the Cons...

  "We must have Agent Fowler clear the dig site of all human presence in the event that we are not the only ones who have discovered its location." Optimus said.

  "I'll take care of it," I offered and the Prime nodded before letting me off his shoulder. I grabbed my phone from where I left it in the living area and dialled Agent Fowler as Smokescreen, Finn, and Jack appeared.

  "This is Special Agent William Fowler." Fowler picked up and I turned away from the Autobots.

  "Fowler, it's Amanda." I said. "We've got a hit on red energon on the coast and Optimus wants the area cleared out. Because the stuff is so rare and grants hyperspeed to users, we think the Cons won't hesitate to swoop in and grab it, regardless of the people there."

  "I'm on it." Fowler said. "Tell Prime to give me five minutes max before he decides to get on the scene."

  I nodded. "Sure thing. Thanks, Fowler."

  "Anytime, kiddo. Fowler out."

  Tucking my phone away, I rejoined the others as Optimus and Smokescreen seemed to be having a little argument. Well, more like Smokescreen was the arguing one, Optimus was as collected as ever.

  "Furthermore, we Autobots live on this planet as robots in disguise," The Prime was saying in that lecturing tone I knew all too well. "You will need to obtain an Earth-based vehicle mode in order to maintain a low profile."

  Arcee snorted. "If that's possible for you."

  Smokescreen seemed unaffected by the jab. "If you're talking about wheels, bring 'em on!"

  Jack made a face. "Where are we supposed to find any good vehicle modes in Jasper, Nevada? All of you guys got yours in the big city."

  I walked down the stairs of the platform. "Let's go to my place. I've got a pretty big selection of cars. Something will please his highness."

  "Hey!" Smokescreen protested.

  "Amanda is correct." Optimus said. "Smokescreen, you will go with her, Finn, and Jack to choose a vehicle mode, but you will have to go around the town instead of through it."

  I nodded. "Don't worry, we won't be spotted."

  He shot me a grateful look before turning to the other Autobots. "Bumblebee, Arcee, you will accompany me once Agent Fowler send us the okay to investigate the red energon."

  Taking that as our cue to get Smokescreen out of there, Finn, Jack, and I headed towards the main entrance of the base and walked out. Once we were out and at the road, I turned to the rookie.

  "If I get a car here for us, can you promise to follow behind it and not wander off?" I asked.

  "You're as bad as the others," Smokescreen mumbled and I gave him a sharp look. "Alright, alright, I'll run behind you guys and won't go anywhere else. Promise."

  Satisfied, I pulled out my phone and signalled for a car to meet us at the location. It only took two minutes for the matte grey Jeep Rubicon to appear and pull to a stop in front of us.

  "What do you think about this?" Finn asked Smokescreen, patting the side of the Jeep. "Vehicle mode worthy?"

  The rookie made a face. "No offense, but it isn't really my style."

  Rolling my eyes, I got into the driver's seat. "I sure hope you're not one of those super picky choosers."

  I spotted his shrug in the rearview mirror. "I just have a particular taste."

  I let out a sigh as Finn climbed into the passenger seat and Jack got into the back. Then I started the Jeep and turned off the paved road, taking a dirt road that I knew would go around Jasper and end near my house. As we drove, I kept checking in the rearview mirror to make sure Smokescreen was following, which luckily he did.

  "Well, what do you guys think?" Jack spoke up.

  "About?" Finn asked.

  "The new guy."

  "I think he's full of it," I said truthfully. "And that he hasn't seen what the Cons can really do. He just wants to be a hero but has no idea what it takes."

  Finn nodded. "Agreed, but I think we're being too harsh on him. He did just land, we can't expect him to know everything at once."

  I glanced away for a second. "I guess. I still don't like his attitude though."

  Before anyone else could say anything, I turned off the road and steered to the front gates of my house, which opened when I flipped a switch on the Jeep's controls. Smokescreen followed through and I wasn't worried about anyone seeing him now. No one came this far anyways. I parked the Jeep in front of the garage and climbed out, the boys following.

  "This way," I waved Smokescreen over and keyed in the password to the garage, causing the steel doors to lift up to reveal the large collection of cars I had.

  "Whoa," Smokescreen said in awe and walked in behind me. The garage was massive, almost the size of the actual living space in the mansion, with four lines of cars that go on for just over a mile. The ceiling was high, allowing even Optimus to stand in it, even though he had to duck his head, so Smokescreen could walk in easily. One each side of the rows of cars, there were aisles that could fit two cars side by side to make sure the cars could get out safely when I signalled them. Now that I was standing in front of all of them, I realized I had a shit ton of cars. There were Audi's, Lexus's, BMW's, Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, and everything in between. I felt a pang of sorrow go through me. It was my mom who loved these cars and made the collection. Sure I upgraded them, but it was her who did all this.

  "This is amazing," Jack said breathlessly and followed Smokescreen through the aisles, both studying the cars to find the right one.

  "What do you think, my little anemone?" Mom said, lifting me up in her arms so I could see all of the cars. "Which one's your favorite?"

  I pointed immediately to the first car in the second aisle. "The horse one!"

  She laughed softly. "The Mustang? Yes, I think it suits you."

  "Can I drive it, mummy?"

  She laughed again. "No, dear. Seven year olds can't drive. Just wait nine years, then all of this can be yours to drive whenever you want." She put me down and I tugged her hand.

  "Did you always have all these cars, mummy?"

  She shook her head. "I had to make my collection, Amanda. It's just like your collection of ponies. I love these cars, I love driving them, so I collected them." She looked down at me, a slight smile on her face. "I can't wait until we can both enjoy our collection."

  I snapped out my thoughts, trying to swallow the emotions that suddenly overcame me.

  She never saw me drive. It was so important to her and she never saw me do it.

  "Amanda?" My gaze shot to my right, where Finn had moved to stand right next to me, his shoulder brushing my own. "Are you okay?"

  Taking in a breath, I flashed him a fake half smile. "Of course. I'm fine."

  "I don't need to have studied facial expressions for a year to know that was fake." He said plainly. "What's wrong?"

  "My mom made the collection," I said, giving up on trying to hide. "She loved cars and driving them. We always talked about how we'd take long drives, both of us in our own car so that we could both be the one driving and-" My voice cracked and I dropped my gaze. "We never got the chance, though."

  "I- I'm sorry." He said, voice low. I didn't reply, just shifted away as my old walls settled in. It hurt to have to put them up again, but I still didn't like to feel so vulnerable. Then he grabbed my hand and squeezed it slightly, sending those walls crashing down all over again. But I didn't pull away.

  "This is it!" Smokescreen's declaration made me step away from Finn and head towards the rookie, shaking off my moment of weakness. I stopped next to Jack, seeing that they were both looking at a particular car.

  "A McLaren MP4?" I observed wearily. "It isn't exactly low profile..."

  "But this is the one!" Smokescreen said. "It's me."

  He shot me a pleading look and I chewed my lip before sighing. "Fine. But if anyone says anything, this was your idea and you forced me into it, got it?"

The rookie grinned and scanned over the McLaren eagerly, making me regret more and more letting him scan such a luxury sports car.

  "So much for low profile," Finn said with a smirk and I laughed softly.

  Let him have this one.

~~

  Jack went with Smokescreen back to base while Finn and I climbed into the Jeep again. I told Smokescreen to take the route that we took here to avoid onlookers, and he compiled but not before complaining a bit. Eventually I was done with arguing and just shot him a glare, which worked better than arguing. Our drive was relatively quiet, which I was glad for because it meant Finn wouldn't pry about what happened earlier. We got to base and I parked the Jeep in the corner before following the others to the main computers. I headed towards Miko, who gave me a run down of the situation.

  "Starscream showed up," She said hurriedly. "He wants the red energon, obviously, but he's also got the Apex Armor, which is this really cool relic that-"

  "Forms an impenetrable armor around the wearer." I finished grimly.

  "Secure the red energon and have Ratchet bridge it back to base." Optimus said, his voice coming through the comms. I peered up at the screen to see Arcee and Bumblebee break away from him as he stood his ground against the oncoming Starscream. I sucked in a breath when Optimus' icon suddenly cut left, indicating he'd probably been slammed into something.

  "Keep moving, B." Arcee said and they both continued towards the target.

  "Optimus, what is your status?" Ratchet asked.

  "I fear Starscream will not be deterred from his quest to obtain the red energon." The Prime replied grimly.

  Smokescreen walked forward. "Starscream? I heard stories about that stiletto heeled creep back on Cybertron." Then he turned to Ratchet. "Send me in, Doc."

  The medic shook his head. "When Optimus requires backup, he will ask for it."

  "Aw come on!" The rookie complained. "I got my v-mode and everything! I'm souped up and ready to roll!"

  "Ep, ep, ep!" Ratchet snapped. "What part of 'further training' did you not understand?"

  Smokescreen frowned with a scheming look in his eyes. I tugged on Finn's sleeve, since he was standing right next to me and was more responsible than Miko.

  "Keep an eye on Smokescreen," I whispered to him. "He's got the look Miko gets before she runs through a ground bridge."

  He nodded. "Got it." then he frowned. "Um, where is he?"

  I turned away from him and scanned the main part of the base, not seeing the rookie anywhere. "What the-"

  "Ratchet, they need me." Bulkhead's insistent voice snapped my attention back to them. "I can do this."

  I bit back the urge to protest, since Bulkhead was still having some trouble walking properly, but it seemed like I didn't have to say anything since Ratchet wasn't even looking at the wrecker.

  "Did you hear what I said?" Bulkhead demanded and the medic spun on him.

  "I head and I'm ignoring you." he said sharply. "This may be your opportunity after all Smokescre-" Then he noticed. "Where is Smokescreen?"

  A flash of silver covered my vision for a second and I sucked in a breath as it faded. Those flashes only happened when-

  "He's opened a relic vault." I said and Ratchet ran to the back hall. I considered going after him, and I could see the others exchange looks that said the same thing, but soon the pair were reappearing and Ratchet moved to open the ground bridge.

  "That's it?" I blurted. "You're sending him in?"

  Smokescreen held up a relic. The phase shifter. "I've got a plan." He said before transforming and driving through the ground bridge. I shot Ratchet a look, but he only nodded slightly and turned his attention back to the main computers. Smokescreen's icon appeared on the computer screen, him standing right in front of Starscream.

  "Apparently no one defined 'low profile' for him." Arcee said in a snarky tone and I sighed, knowing exactly what she was talking about.

  "We all remember that Smokescreen didn't let us have a say in his vehicle mode," I announced. "Right?"

  Finn nodded. "He was very persistent."

  "No swaying him whatsoever." Jack added. Miko let out a laugh and even Bulkhead looked a bit amused.

  "So the Autobots have a new recruit." Starscream drawled, his voice coming in over the comms since they were set on sensitive.

  "And you must be Starscream," Smokescreen said. "I thought you'd be taller."

  Starscream growled and his icon began to charge at Smokescreen.

  "This won't end well." Arcee commented.

  "Smokescreen, stand down." Optimus ordered. "You are no match for Starscream's Apex armor."

  "Any last words, Smokescreen?" Starscream taunted.

  "Just four," The rookie replied. "Kiss your armor goodbye."

  I rolled my eyes. "He had to have his dramatic moment, didn't he?"

  Smokescreen charged right at Starscream and landed a hit that sent the Con flying back. I was confused for a second, then realized he used the phase shifter to knock the Con right out of his armor.

  "Now, that was a plan!" Smokescreen exclaimed in triumph.

  "You aren't the only one sporting a fancy wrist mounted device," Starscream growled. "Think fast!"

  A missile appeared on the base' screen, heading straight towards the icons of Optimus, Arcee, and Bumblebee. My eyes widened in horror as the missile made impact and the screen reddened a bit. No one said anything at base, eyes glued to the screen as though it would tell us that they were okay. I dimly noticed Starscream's icon fly off with the target icon; he had gotten the red energon after all. I only relaxed when I saw Optimus, Bumblebee and Arcee's icons reappear. It looked like the blast just interfered with the signal. I sighed in relief, and I think everyone else did too as Ratchet opened the ground bridge.

~~

  "Told you I just needed to borrow it for a while," Smokescreen said as he held the phase shifter out to Ratchet, before turning to the others. "Doc here thought I was trying to steal your relics."

  Ratchet snatched it. "Only until you explained your plan, which I then sanctioned. It's called protocol."

  "Ratchet is correct." Optimus said. "Standard procedure must be observed by every member of this team." Smokescreen's gaze dropped, but the Prime wasn't done. "However, I believe we must also commend you, Smokescreen. You have proven to be a quick study by choosing to place strategy above bravado."

  As a grin crossed the rookie's face, Arcee sighed. "There's going to be no living with him now."

  "While this may lack the pageantry of a proper Elite Guard ceremony," Optimus continued. "I wish to welcome you to Team Prime."

  A scraping metal noise made me turn to see Bulkhead at the entrance to the back hall, frowning at the scene in front of his eyes. I saw his mouth move, but he was talking too quietly for me to hear. Whatever he had said, Miko rushed over.

  "Don't worry Bulk!" She said loud enough for me to hear, but not loud enough for the others to. "He's got nothing on you. Seriously, once we get that leg of yours back in shape, old Smokey's gonna learn real quick who the top wrecking ball is."

  The wrecker didn't say anything, just turned and headed back down the hall. Miko visibly deflated and that made me head down the stairs to throw my arm around her shoulders.

  "He needs some time." I said reassuringly. "This is hard for him. He just needs to come to terms with it, that's all."

  "Yeah," She didn't sound convinced. "You're right."

  "What do you say we go for a swim later?" I offered, trying to cheer her up again. "We can have a girl's night if you want to, since there's no school tomorrow. Movie, snacks, you name it."

  She stared after Bulkhead for a moment more before turning to me. "I'm gonna have to take you up on that one."

  "Good," I shot her a grin. "Let's head out then."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.3K 1K 28
Sometimes, Fate decides to barge into your life and mess everything up. Sometimes it messes things up in the best possible way. After Jack, Miko and...
18.2K 644 47
"Sometimes, you never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory." -Dr.Seuss --- BOOK TWO OF THE LIGHTBLADE SERIES. SEQUEL TO UNKNOWN TERRI...
2.2K 158 17
Alias is an unusual girl. She doesn't remember who she was when she was younger, her first memory was as a 6 year old, stumbling through the woods in...
3.4K 136 31
nothing can fix it. nothing. not even tape or glue. Erin Storm was nothing but a broken record. she was only 16. she was a mute, slave to the 'king'...