DEMON SENSE (Completed)

By rachloves2write

After the deaths of her parents, and her sister’s “suicide” via possession, Viktoryia Price is compelled to a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 14

239 15 0
By rachloves2write

CHAPTER 14

Larson spent the next two months tutoring me in all things badass. Together we worked on weight training and stamina. Larson, of course, didn’t need the extra training; he was naturally gifted with mad skills by way of his vampiric DNA. I, however, needed a ton of work. Steadily, I was progressing, but not at a pace fast enough for my liking. Larson appeared honestly impressed by my improvement. Still, I was human. I was neither fast enough nor strong enough to beat a demon in hand-to-hand combat.

Larson wasn’t worried by my lack of demonic equivalence however. He always assured me that he’d be there as a failsafe should I…well, fail. The only thing I had to be good at was running. Fast. Just in case anything ever went wrong, I’d be able to flee to the safety of Nathan’s home which, I had been informed, warded off evil. I could run to my apartment of course, since Nathan had paid off the remaining lease—I’d have to pay him back eventually for that, too—but if a demon wanted in bad enough, all it’d have to do is break down the door.

Evidently, my bodyguard could strike fear into the black souls—assuming they even had one—of lesser demons who resorted to possession. If they even dared to step foot on his perfectly manicured lawn, I was willing to bet Nathan would wage an epic war against them that would put Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King to shame.

Speaking of epic battles, I was striving to win one now.

“Is that all you’ve got?” Larson taunted, flashing me his pearly white fangs.

“Ha! Don’t you wish?” Building up all the speed I could muster, I ran toward one of the bare walls of Nathan’s basement, pushing off with all my vigor and launched myself in Larson’s direction like a human torpedo.

I took him down with all the gentleness of a pissed off Orc. Larson allowed my attack to affect him, and we shot back about twenty feet or so, landing on Nathan’s couch. My legs were on either side of him, pinning him down, as I socked him in the jaw with my right fist, then my left. My knuckles stung, but it didn’t slow me down. With all my human strength, I thrust my elbow down, making contact with Larson’s collarbone. There was an audible and sickening CRACK as it snapped.

Larson chuckled as if I’d tickled him. “Nice move, love,” he praised, before sending me flying backwards.

Completely prepared for his counterattack, I had embraced the momentum, tucking into a ball. My body rolled until I slowed enough to pop into a crouch. I rushed him once more, avoiding a kick to my stomach that would have hurt like hell. Like a synchronized swimmer, I dove with grace, aiming for the only foot that kept Larson standing. I was the bowling ball and he was the pin I knocked into the gutter.

Larson fell on his ass bursting into laughter.

Breathlessly, “Okay, so I can kick your ass, but how does that help me? I won’t kill its human host.”

Larson’s laughter cut short. He sat up and regarded me with a seriousness I didn’t like. “You won’t have to—”

“And you won’t either,” I interrupted, rising to my feet. “I forbid it.”

He stood, too, looking amused as if I’d just told him a funny joke. “I didn’t plan on it. I figure, all we need to do is give them a little scare. Once it gets out that you’re going around ‘hunting’ demons, Roland will eventually get wind of it and come find you himself.”

In theory, it sounded like a good idea, but I had my doubts. “And what if he comes to us in the body of a child, or a pregnant woman? He’ll kill them without a thought just to break me.”

“I won’t lie, that is a possibility, but I’m working on a brilliant plan that will take measures in preventing him from doing just that,” he admitted.

I chewed on my bottom lip nervously. “What kind of plan?”

“Trust me, love,” he said running his fingers through his messed dark hair. His eyes were alight with excitement. “It’s a good plan.”

“Well, I’d like to hear it.” It wasn’t that I didn’t trust Larson, as he hadn’t yet given me a reason not to, but it was hard to trust blindly when the stakes were so high. If his plan failed, it would mean someone’s life, I was sure of it.

“And I will happily share it with you, but only once it’s concrete. I’m still fine-tuning the details.”

“Fine,” I accepted, “but until it’s all worked out, we don’t make a move.”

He flashed me a smile. “Fair enough. In the meantime,” Larson continued with a mischievous gleam in his eyes. “I think we should celebrate your first successful attempt at kicking my ass.”

“Ha, no need. Knocking you to the ground was celebration enough for me.”

“Tsk, tsk,” he said, wagging his finger. “That won’t do. How about I sneak you out of Nathan’s posh penitentiary? I’m sure you’re dying to do something other than train, eat, train, and sleep.”

This was a good point. I’d spent the last eight weeks running laps and lifting weights, and having Larson dish out beat down after beat down. Going out and actually having fun sounded like the best idea ever. “What did you have in mind?”

Larson’s angelic grin would have fooled just about anyone. Anyone who didn’t know him, that is. Instinctively I knew he was up to no good, and I had a feeling it was the kind of wayward behavior I longed for.

“Are you by chance twenty-one?”

            I answered him with a playful smirk, “Eighteen, as a matter of fact, but I have an I.D. that says otherwise.”

            “How fateful.” With that, Larson stuck out his arm gesturing for me to link mine with his. “Shall we?”

“This isn’t some excuse to go demon hunting is it, Larson?” I asked, as we ascended the basement stairs.

He chuckled, “No love, not unless you’ve changed your mind about waiting.”

“No, definitely not. I was just making sure.”

He patted my arm, the one that was still looped in his, before letting me go. “Well then, rest assured that tonight will just be a chance to have fun and relax.”

Finally. I could really use a night off.

When we were right outside the door that would lead us to Nathan’s living room, Larson paused. Before opening the door, he turned to me, “Let me do the talking, okay?”

I shrugged, “Sure.” With that, we started through the door.

We split up so that I could get ready for a carefree night out on the town, while Larson went off in search of Nathan. I hoped he wouldn’t make too big a deal out of letting me go. Even if he did, it wasn’t like he was my keeper. I was going whether he liked it or not, I just really wanted to avoid any drama.

In nearly record time, I took a quick shower to rinse away my less than fresh scent from my time wrestling with Larson. When I was clean enough to squeak, I hopped out and dried off.

All my make-up and toiletries were here so I was able to get mostly ready, but in my rush to freshen up, I hadn’t taken the time to bring an outfit with me. I wrapped the towel securely around my body, and began primping.

I let my hair dry naturally, because although it was wavy, it wasn’t unruly. In fact, my hair was probably my best feature, my pride and joy, and it didn’t require a lot of work. When it came to make-up, I kept it mostly light and natural looking, with the exception of my eyes, where I applied black liner and mascara to make the color pop. Once my look was completed, I practically bolted from the bathroom, eager to pick out the ideal clothes for this evening.

“Uff!” The noise escaped me as I collided with steel. Only it wasn’t steel; it was Nathan’s chest. It was like déjà vu; this had been the second time I’d run into him. The first, I remembered, was back in Alaska when I tried to make a run for the airport. How embarrassing. At least this time I hadn’t knocked us both to the floor.

“Larson told me you two are going out. I hope you do not plan on wearing that,” Nathan deadpanned, but by the twitching corners of his mouth, I could tell he was holding back a teasing grin.

My cheeks burned red as I realized I was currently clad in nothing but a towel.

“Er…”

“I’m only joking,” he replied before I could stammer on and humiliate myself further. Nathan stepped aside, allowing me to continue down the hall to my room. When I reached my door, I looked back down the hall and locked eyes with Nathan. My face flushed thoroughly, but he hardly seemed fazed. I got the sense that many things rarely shocked him.

Nathan casually inclined his head, before disappearing down the stairs.

I closed my door behind me, and took a long, deep breath. Once my brain cleared, I remembered what it was I was supposed to be doing, and began raiding my closet for something decent to wear. Only a few minutes later I emerged, wearing my favorite dress. It was silky and black with a back that dropped down to my hips, and the hem stopped about mid thigh.

I had purchased it about a year ago for a date I was supposed to go on, but last minute I’d canceled after common sense had finally penetrated my thick skull. I wasn’t cut out for dates or relationships, no matter how normal I wanted to be, I wasn’t. Relationships were for normal people with mostly normal problems. Instead of just returning the dress, I kept it, vowing I’d one day find a reason to wear it, and I was glad I did. Easily, it was the most elegant thing I owned; a little sexy too I might add. Indeed, a dress like this should not go to waste.

I strode into the living room, not thinking much about anything other than wanting to get out and have a good time, when I felt two sets of eyes on me.

“What?” I directed at the vampire and my stoic bodyguard, who were both staring at me like I’d sprouted three heads.

Nathan cleared his throat, “You’re doing field work in that?”

So that explained Nathan’s trained stare. Clearly, Larson had lied about what our real plans consisted of, and if he thought that I was going to demon hunt like this, then I understood his questioning glare.

“I’m undercover,” I countered with a look that told Nathan it wasn’t much of his business anyway.

He nodded curtly, “In any case, you look lovely.”

Nathan’s compliment startled me since he wasn’t normally prone to flattery. In fact, I couldn’t recall him ever complimenting me. I could only bring myself to say, “Thanks.”

“Indeed,” Larson’s voice rang musically as he rose from his previous position on the couch. “Ready, love?” From the corner of my eye I noticed Nathan’s look of annoyance. At least he was trying to be less haughty.

“Definitely,” I replied. My conscious was more than ready for any kind of stimulation that didn’t include instructions on how not to die when fighting a demon.

“Try not to be out too late,” I heard Nathan call out at us as Larson and I headed toward the exit of his home.

“Don’t worry, Nethaneel. I promise to take very good care of your human,” Larson replied a tad too suggestively, before closing the front door behind us.

“Don’t say it like that,” I chided, landing a punch in Larson’s upper arm.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” By the smile on his face, however, I believed he did.

#

Larson knocked three times on the door before us. It was one of only four others in this dark alley. I, for one, had grown wary of alleyways considering the last time I’d been in one a demon-possessed UPS worker had attacked me. Being with Larson, I felt slightly more at ease. Still, I was relieved when Larson’s knocks were answered. That relief lasted approximately three seconds.

A man in his late twenties, dressed in black skinny jeans and an unnecessarily tight red tee sporting a skull and crossbones graphic, stepped into the doorframe. His hair was jet black and spiked and his biceps were as thick as Larson’s neck. The guy’s eyes—which were lined with more eyeliner than mine—scrutinized Larson for a moment before coming to a stop on me. At first, I had the urge to slap him for checking out my cleavage, until I realized he was actually ogling my jugular. The punk rock bouncer licked his lips, giving me an intentional glimpse of his fangs.

Larson’s eyes narrowed. “Back off, Kaden; this one is mine,” he said in a snarl.

Kaden’s lips curled into a sneer, “Really? I don’t see any markings.” I guessed that Kaden had been referring to bite marks, which was something he wouldn’t see because they didn’t exist. God, the last thing I needed was to become this weirdo’s object of bloodlust.

“Trust me, they’re there. Just not anywhere you’ll get to see.” That made me blush; but if it meant this creep would leave me alone then I didn’t mind the implication.

Larson ushered me in, keeping Kaden a good distance away. When the bouncer was finally out of sight, Larson said, “Sorry about that love. Vamps tend to have a thing for girls with pulses.”

“I’m so flattered,” I replied flatly.

“Forget about him, we’re here to have fun. I won’t let anyone else bother you,” he told me, placing one of his hands on the small of my back protectively. I had forgotten how low the back scooped down, and nearly jumped when his hand met my flesh.

I swallowed. “Thanks, I appreciate it. Just make sure you keep those hands of yours above the equator. No misbehaving.”

Larson’s smile was playful, “I wouldn’t dream of it.”

I wasn’t so convinced.

As we made our way over to the bar, I made a shocking discovery. More than half the patrons in here were undead; their skin reflected light like glass, as they danced and glided under the club’s multicolored spotlights. Some smiled, displaying fangs, all moving with grace and predatory determination. I could easily sense all of their different power levels. Each aura was unique yet similar—a tangible signature that told me what they were, and what they were likely capable of. I could also tell that there weren’t any demons mingling in this club. No, this was a club for vampires.

I eyed my escort, “You didn’t tell me we were going to a club for the undead.”

“I thought I’d surprise you.” Well, then he’d definitely hit his mark. I hadn’t even know clubs like this existed. It wasn’t exactly a comforting feeling to be here either, the power that vibrated in the air made the fine hairs on my neck and arms stick straight up. In one word, it was eerie.

Although there weren’t many, I wasn’t the only human. Near the entrance, three girls with pulses hung on the arm of a very attractive blond and shirtless vampire. His features were chiseled and sharp. He could easily have been a model, but so could Larson—or any other vamp in this place for that matter. Unlike Larson, however, his arrogance was a palpable thing. I was willing to bet that he was as much of a womanizer as he was handsome.

On the dance floor, I spotted a female vampire with long golden hair that draped around her frame perfectly. She was alabaster and curvy, and hardly wearing any clothing. Seriously, strippers wore more clothing than that. To top it all off, she was practically having sex with her very human boy-toy mid-dance.

I averted my eyes, and took a seat next to Larson at the bar. He gave me a searching look as if trying to unlock one of my oh-so-many secrets. He turned to the bartender afterwards, “Martin! Two shots of tequila, please.”

I smiled. “Lucky guess.”

Larson just shrugged. Meanwhile, Martin the bartender plopped two shot glasses on the counter, then leaned over and poured us our drinks.

Larson grabbed his glass and raised it, so I mirrored him. “Cheers, love. Here’s to your first win.”

“Why, thank you, good sir,” I beamed before placing the shot glass to my lips. We both tossed the liquid back simultaneously.

He watched me flinch and do that awkward shiver thing after I swallowed, obviously entertained. Just because tequila was my hard liquor of choice, didn’t mean I was unaffected.

“Don’t worry, by your seventh shot it will go down like water,” he winked.

I sputtered unintelligibly. “But—I—What?”

“I think we need seconds, Martin,” Larson boasted. I just stared at him, flabbergasted. I was so not taking seven shots of this stuff.

“Certainly, Mr. Knight.”

I stopped at the fourth shot, but it felt like it was my sixth. Nothing bothered me anymore; absolutely not a care in the world. In the back of my mind it worried me a little, but not too much. I was starting to really have fun.

“How about a dance, here, with me?” I asked Larson, sliding off my stool.

He raised an eyebrow at me. “Right now?”

“Right now.”

He smirked, “Yes. To all of the above.”

Some part of my mind was telling me not to, but the tipsy part of my brain thought it was the greatest idea ever.

Larson’s smirk only grew as he escorted me away from the bar. He led me through a mass of people and a path opened as we went. When we were at the center of it all, Larson stopped and turned to face me directly. With his hand holding onto mine, he pulled the rest of me into his personal space. For a moment, I just stared at him, hoping I looked at least half as graceful and confident as he did now.

Seeing my apprehension, Larson leaned down, “If you can kick my ass in mock battle, then you can just as easily outdo me on the dance floor.”

Apparently, that was all the incentive I needed. I recalled all the relevant dancing I’d seen on TV and in other night clubs, and let the rhythm of the music guide my movements. The music at this club was intoxicating, a hybrid of trance, techno, and something else entirely. Like I imagined a siren’s song might sound: hypnotic and hauntingly beautiful.

Larson’s body kept a perfect tempo with mine. His dancing was nothing short of supernatural. Again my brain said “keep your distance”, but it was clear my mind and my body were on two separate wavelengths. My hand, as if of its own accord, went up to rest on his chest. He placed both his hands on either side of my hip and began to follow, if not somewhat guide, my motions.

His mossy green eyes flashed with an emotion I hazily recognized as something close to lust. In one quick movement, he spun me around so my back was to his chest, pulling me so close I didn’t think water would have passed through us. Initially, I was so heavily into our dancing, I almost hadn’t noticed the other dancers near us had begun to gawk.

Seriously? That one vampire chic had practically fornicated with her date and hardly anyone noticed, but when I tried to relax and have fun, they ogled me? I almost laughed aloud at the absurdity of it all, when the rational part of my brain tried to speak once more. That vamp ho-bag was practically doing the nasty but she didn’t have any fans. Do you realize how much worse you must look?

My body went rigid.

I felt Larson’s cool breath on my neck as he spoke, “What’s wrong?”

“Er—people are starting to stare.”

He slowly turned me back around to face him. I met his gaze, hair falling around my face, which he slowly and deliberately tucked behind my ear. A shiver went through my body as his fingers trailed down my neck.

 “Let them stare,” he said in a low, husky voice. He lowered his head down further towards my neck, which only caused me to tense further. A low chuckle formed in his throat. “Don’t worry, love. I won’t bite.” With that, Larson pressed his wintry lips to my neck, sending another wave of shivers through my body.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44 15 7
A wealthy witch family struggles to maintain their family position while keeping their identity a secret and protecting it from the prying forces of...
529 12 35
After losing everything, Nora takes the little money that she had and starts over. At sixteen years old she has made a name for herself as a vampire...
13 0 52
The kids return home when they've grown to be 17. Once they return home they run into some evil guys that kidnap the kids to be turned into vampires...
790 92 19
They live to follow directions. They serve the innocent to prevent them from finding out about the supernatural and to protect them from being killed...