Book One: In Expectation of B...

By SaysSalimah

Aa'eeda Monroe decided a long time ago that she would have it all. She's 24 years old, a practicing midwife a... More

Rear Cover
Prologue: I Shall Be Released
Chapter 1: The Midwife's Pocketbook
Chapter 2: At First Sight
Afterthought: Dear Reader

Chapter 3: Impromptu

125 12 2
By SaysSalimah

Aa'eeda

My back straightened at the sound of the familiar deep rasping voice. "I'd like to take you up on that coffee. That is. . . if you're still offering." 

I turned and took in the full effect of -  -this unknown man. When he first approached my table he was nothing like the dirty pot-bellied balding man I imagined. 

The sight of him. The sight of him had me reduced to a silent mute. He was actually quite handsome, in a rugged way. . . and happened to have very nice hair. 

He took strides towards me and I was subject to the full effect of him. He's tall, with broad shoulders and the body of a man that made regular visits to the gym. He wore a navy blue jumper and a plain black tee shirt with the sleeves rolled up. The black boots finished his look. 

I smiled. "Sure, of course, " I said and put the remaining folders in my bag before settled back down into the booth seat.

I sat there staring at him, while he stared back at me. I took him in, my eyes hungry to know him- - all of him. All that chestnut skin was a real turn on and I took note of his arms which were covered in tattoos, like a sleeve. He had a goatee and his ears were pierced. I could see that he was taking me in as well. There was an intensity in them that was unnerving. 

"I never got your name," I reminded him and coughed to clear my throat. 

"Broderick Blackwood," he said plainly and stretched his hand out for mine. 

I put my hand in his and watched as he closed his fist around mine. His hand was clammy and slightly shaky as he squeezed mine firmly and sparks fizzed. A curious look flitted across his ruggedly handsome face as we both retracted our hands in shock.

"That's quite a name," I said nervously. 

The corner of his mouth lifted. "Yeah, it's German.  It means brother."

"Broderick," I said his name to myself trying it out. It was different and I decided I quite liked it. I met his gaze and found him smiling to himself. 

"Sounds nice when you say it," he asserted. "Although, I think Aa'eeda is far more interesting than Broderick. What does it mean?"

I laughed nervously and nipped at the paper placemat with my pinky finger. "It's Islamic. It means matters of faith."

"Like faith in things not seen?" He had this faraway look in his eyes as though he were recalling something. "It's beautiful, and it suits you."

Valerie approached our table before I could thank him for the compliment.  "What can I get you folks tonight?" She held her pen to the pad in her hand while she waited for our orders.

"Lady first," he said and motioned to me.

I came here often and absolutely adored their Morrocan Coffee blend so I ordered it. He ordered the same. When Valerie asked him how wanted his coffee he replied, "Black.  As black as it gets."

Valerie was of the paler complexion so the pun was lost on her. We shared a knowing laugh when she left to fill our orders.

"So tell me about yourself," he said stretching  his arms along the top of the booth chair. He was obviously getting comfortable."From your scrubs, I can see that you're in the medical field."

"I'm a midwife here in Atlanta," I told him.  "I specialize in high-risk pregnancies. I work with women in underprivileged communities and teach some of the younger girls as well."

"Is that why you had those papers out here on the table?" 

I laughed. "Actually yes. I have a session every Saturday and Sunday afternoon at the Bradford Community Center. It's a short class but a lot of women - - and men show up. I want to make sure they get all the right information."

He looked impressed as most men do when I tell them about my career. I have a passion for something and made a living off of doing what I love. This is usually the part when the guy runs off to look for easier and more available women. Not Broderick Blackwood though. He was intrigued. 

Valerie returned with our coffee, set it on the table and left.  He raised his cup.

"What are we toasting to?" I asked him raising my cup as well. 

"Happy accidents and new faces," he answered and we touched cups before sipping the hot liquid goodness. 

I was learning that this Broderick liked to stare. He watched me over the rim of his cup. I couldn't look him in the eye. It was too intense, and it frightened me . . . in a good way. 

"What do you do?" I asked him on a sharp breath, my nerves were a balled up mess. "I see you have on a mechanic's uniform."

"I'm a mechanic. I got my own shop not too far from here. On the weekends me and  my boys got us a yard work company. We do landscaping for the Gentry Heights area."

Did he just say boys? I looked at his hands and although I didn't see a ring, I still regretted this whole ordeal. "You have kids?" Even I picked up on the defeat in my voice.

He sat up a little straighter and brought his arms down on the table. "No, no kids". 

Well, thank God for Jesus on that one, because the last thing I needed was a man with babies. A man with babies had a baby mama not too far behind. 

Wait...

What am I saying? 

Why am thinking about this man like he's going to be anything more than just a friendly chat on a lonely Friday night? I probably will never see him after tonight and that's fine with me. 

"What was that?" He was watching me closely.

I stilled and glanced away. "What? What was what?"

"That face? What were you thinking just then?"

"I was thinking that you look too young to have multiple . . ." I searched for the right word, "um- blessings."

"I'm a 29-year-old black man. I ain't never been married, ain't got no kids and no baby mamas. Thank you very much." He said it loudly as though it was something that ought to be celebrated. I wasn't surprised when the two girls at the cash register clapped for him.

"What about you?" He asked.

"What about me?" I shrugged.

"I would say your 23 maybe 24 years old. I know you ain't got no kids and I know for a fact you ain't got no man."

I couldn't tell if I should be offended just yet. "Why do you know this for a fact?"

"Just your vibe is all. You don't strike me as the type of women that would be here with me if you had a kid at home waiting on you. And I know for a fact there is no man in his right mind that would let  you stay out at some quaint cafe alone in the city where a guy like me could just walk up to you and start talking."

 "Let me huh?"

"Yes let you," he confirmed. "Your fine ass would be home with him and the kids, all four of them. It would be family night and he would keep you right in his line of sight."

I nodded. "Well... you're right." We shared a laugh cause he knew he hit it right on the head. "I am single."

"And don't forget so beautiful it hurts," he added.

My face got hot all of a sudden. "...Thank you, Broderick."

"You're most welcome, Ms. Monroe." 

"But why do I have to have four kids though, damn."

*

3  &   1/2 Hours Later

By the end of the night, we had several empty plates and platters. Broderick was quite the conversationalist and he had this way of making me feel comfortable. I don't think I ever enjoyed the presence of a man as much as I did this man.

We talked the whole night away and I only realized the time when my phone alarm went off. It was the 12 am alarm that meant it was time to turn my mind off and get to bed. 

"Oh wow," I laughed to myself. "Where has the time gone?"

He looked at his watch. "Oh shit." He rubbed at his beard, something I learned he did often. 

I looked around the cafe, quickly realizing that we were the sole customers in the entire place. How nearly four hours went by is beyond me. "Yeah. . . I got to get up early tomorrow," I said reaching for my bag. I promised coffee on me so it was time to make good on that promise.

"What you doing?" His inquiring tone was laced with warning. 

"Getting my credit card."  

He shook his head and leaned forward to reach into his back pocket. "Nah, don't sweat it. I got it." He was up and out of the booth and heading towards the cashier before I got the chance to protest.

I turned to look over at him in curiosity as he settled the bill. See now... it's just not fair for all that amazingness to exist in one person. Strong, handsome, sweet and a gentleman? I shook my head in disbelief. No wife, no kids, no baby mama, no drama?  This has got to be a joke.

I turned back in my seat and pulled a ten dollar bill from my pocketbook and set it under his empty coffee cup.  If he asks me out, I'm going to reject him... plain and simple. This shit was too good to be true.

By the time he returned, I had my keys in hand and my bag over my shoulder. "We're all set, " he said and held a hand out for me. I dismissed the alarm, put my phone away and took his hand. so he could help me up to my feet. 

"Thank you," I said.

"My pleasure". 

We walked out of the cafe hand in hand. When we got to the door, he moved behind me and pushed the door open to let me through. The feel of his hand at the small of my back was intimate. 

"You are quite the gentlemen, " I said walking beside him. 

"I got a mother that raised me right. She said to always treat a lady with respect. You're a lady and you deserve my respect. Simple as that."

I nodded to myself. "Well, I appreciate it." 

"I'll walk you to the car," he said and held his hand out again. 

I set mine in his and we made slow strides toward my off-white Audi A5 coupe. For the first time tonight, silence fell between us. It was the kind of pregnant silence that made me feel uneasy. 

"I enjoyed your company tonight Ms. Monroe," he said finally. 

He kept calling me that. I mean- - I know it's my name and all, but did he have to make it sound so good? "You're not so bad yourself Mr. Blackwood."

"Call me Broderick."

"Okay. . . well, then you call me Aa'eeda."

He took my car keys and opened the door up for me to get inside. He handed me the keys and told me to start it up. I did as he said and rolled the window down. 

He crouched down resting his folded arms in the open window. "Will I ever see you after tonight?"

Here it goes. "Well- - anything is possible."

"I would like to have your number, so I can call you. Make sure you get home safe." His eyes watched me closely before he scratched his lip with the tip of his thumb. "I mean we've already established there's no one at home doing it. . . so I won't be stepping on any toes."

I looked away debating what I should do next. "I don't know if I should."

His brows went up, his eyes dropping to my lips. "Why not?"

"Because- - I don't do this." Out loud, it sounded as strange as is did in my head.

"Listen, Aa'eeda I like you. You're sweet, successful --," 

I shook my head on a wry laugh. His fingers touched my chin as he gently pulled my face towards his. ". . . I don't think you know how beautiful you are. I know that if I don't at least try to get at you- - I'll regret it."

I looked down at my hands. "I'm not ready for that kind of thing just yet." I met his eyes. "You have been so kind to me, and I did enjoy myself tonight."

"...but- -," he added in anticipation before I had the chance to say it. 

"But... this just isn't the right time." 

He nodded and put his hands up in surrender. "Alright. I won't badger you. You are entitled to your peace of mind. I see I got my work cut out for me here." He was on his feet and backed up. 

I poked my head out . "It was nice meeting you, Mr. Blackwood."

"The pleasure is still all mine Ms. Monroe," he answered bowing his head and added, "drive safe."

Reaching for the seat belt, I strapped myself in and reversed out of the parking space. I pulled out of the parking lot and stole a glance in the rearview mirror. He stood there still, watching me drive away.

I ignored the pang of guilt down in my heart and pressed on. I told myself that if this was meant to be. . . it would be.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

688K 36.2K 30
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐔𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ~ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝟐 Sara Zafar, once a vibrant, effervescent spirit, embarks on a new chapter of her life in New Y...
737K 39K 21
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐀𝐧𝐢𝐤𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐢 𝐱 𝐊𝐚𝐛𝐢𝐫 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ...
1.2M 66.1K 59
𝐒𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞〢𝐁𝐲 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 〈𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 1〉 𝑶𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
566K 19.5K 93
"Leave, you're free. Don't ever come back here again." She said, hoping he wouldn't return and she'll get to live Hael was shocked, "Are you abandon...