The Old Gods | Book 2

By ThevampireMermaid18

The realms are changing. Times are changing. The gods have been around for a very long time and they have bee... More

Introduction
One: A Stranger
Two: The Royal Council
Three: Old Photos
Four: Two More Heads
Five: Deliverance
Six: Not Today
Seven: Torments of the Mind
Eight: A Choice
Nine: A Silent Call
Ten: Brjóta
Eleven: Bound in Life and Death
Twelve: The Man of Iron
Thirteen: Of Sounds Body and Mind
Fourteen: The Realms Princess
Sixteen: Rekindled Hope
Seventeen: Lying with the Truth
Eighteen: Fool Me Once
Nineteen: Gods of Asgard
Twenty: Brothers
Twenty One: My Blood
Twenty Two: All For You
Twenty Three: Lament
Twenty Four: Liars and Killers
Twenty Five: Eventually
Twenty Six: Heart of Manhattan
Twenty Seven: The Chitauri Army
Twenty Eight: Spoils of War
Twenty Nine: Resurgence
Thirty: Across The Stars
Thirty One: Clemency

Fifteen: Heir to The Throne

1.5K 43 7
By ThevampireMermaid18

Just so as it happens, The Princess Sigyn is sitting on her window just as she did as a girl. Looking out over the countryside and the mountains in the distance and the large green ocean of trees between the royal capital and those mountains. She can see the Diamond River from her window that snaked through the valley and passed through the kingdom below the palace. She has a perfect view of the gardens below her tower and some parts of the city too.

As of right now, she knows the high courts and the people of Vanaheim are currently gathering to see their princess inaugurated as heir to the throne. It was the biggest news the realm has received. Their most beloved princess will be their heir. They took to the streets in celebration, hanging up wreaths and banners in her honour.

Her stomach dropped from the nerves. Becoming the heir to Vanaheim is the last thing she ever thought of wanting, or let alone happening. Just days ago she was on Midgard, searching for answers. She had her Loki, and he had her. Neither heirs to either realm. Now she sits at her window, without her husband, and next in line.

Is this her purpose in all this?

Sigyn closed her eyes and took in a soft breath. She reached out in her mind to try and find that connection she made during her time with Hydra. But as always, it was stopped short like running straight into a wall, or chopping off the limb to an animal. There was just nothing.

There was always nothing. Eventually, she told herself it was the trick of her mind while they tortured her. She could have connected to anything during that session. So now when she truely tries to reach him, there is... nothing.

A wave of cheer can be heard from her window at the masses gathering in the hall of her father below the palace. The realm celebrated today for their princess. They had never received such sudden happy news. They were told yesterday afternoon to gather at the palace for the crowning and today would be announced a holiday. A time when you can stop and enjoy the celebrations of the day.

Sigyn worried how her people would react to her coming home so suddenly and being crowned. She has lived in Asgard for half of her life. Do they want her back? Will they welcome her as Asgard's people once did? Or will they resent her? Call her a traitor who hasn't lived here for such a long time.

She has heard rumours that the people are saying now that her husband is dead she is free from her contract with Asgard. No longer trapped, or kept like a bought mare; they all rumoured.

This saddened her greatly.

"Oh, Loki." she cried. "I just want you back." And Sigyn thought, if this was Loki in her place right now he would revel in it all. The attention, the glory. Taking full advantage of his position. The thing he craved second to his wife; To rule.

Sigyn's chin perked. The small tiara on her head that branded her a princess felt that little bit more lighter.

Her chamber doors opened and two giggly girls entered.

"Siggy!" Hnoss shouted.

"Are you excited?" Gersemi said.

The twin sisters scuffled over to Sigyn both with happy smiles for her. Both are dressed in their best gowns and circlets on their heads. Gersemi is wearing a deep maroon gown, and Hnoss is in a baby blue gown. With matching tiaras. Hnoss's hair resembled Sigyn's braids, and Gersemi's hair was still the yellow tangle of mess it had always been.

When they see the tears on Sigyn's face, their smiles drop. They looked at each other.

"Don't cry, sister."

"We know how hard this is."

"It should be Sigvard in your place right now." Hnoss sadly said. "We keep him in our hearts every day."

Sigyn scoffed. "Don't ever say his name."

"We will never forgive him either, Sig." says Gersemi. "But it is you. You who is entitled to the crown. No one else deserves this better than you."

Hnoss nodded happily. "She is right, sister. Everybody is waiting for you in the hall."

"I am afraid that one day we won't have mother or father and I will sit on that throne. I am afraid that I will be alone and that I will make a terrible ruler."

The twins gasped in shock the same. "Lies!"

"Do not tell yourself these things."

"We have all seen how much the people of BOTH realms love you. They would not have chosen you otherwise."

"There has never been a more loved princess than you."

Sigyn sniffled and gently patted away her tears. "You are both so kind. But all I want is to have Loki at my side again. For him to be here with me." the twins sadly looked at each other. "All I wanted was him. He was all I ever needed in this life."

Hnoss put a hand on Sigyn's shoulder. They dressed her up in a tailored dress for this moment. A deep blue dress that touched the floor. Cascading with silver jewels. Soft shoulder pads that pointed up. Long sleeves and complements of armour. The collar reached her neck and a heavy necklace sat around her shoulders.

The most important part of the attire is the cape draping over her shoulders. It sat shrouding most of her body. Thick blue fabric with white fur to line. The cape which is hand-sown with over a thousand jewels and stitched patterns all to represent the realm of Vanaheim. The same cape meant to coronate Prince Sigvard.

"Come, sister."

"It is time."

So, with her royal escort, the princess is taken down to the hall of Vanaheim where the entire kingdom has gathered to see her inauguration. The crowd even spilled out into the streets of the city in celebration.

The King and Queen of Vanaheim stand atop of the throne. The twins standing to the side, and her son Vali and Thor are there too. Sigyn entered the hall from the end and stood and faced down the long aisle. The hall turned into an uproar of celebration and cheer. They tossed flowers and petals to the wind and coloured scarves.

A body appears beside Sigyn. (Loki) She looked at the person and found Thor in his place. She sighed in disappointment. "I know you are nervous." he says to her. "It's normal. I was nervous on my coronation despite wanting and begging for it. I waited my whole life for it."

"And Loki ruined it." she mumbled, past her lips.

"It was the best thing he could have done."

Sigyn looked at Thor, shocked.

"I would not have been cast out. I would not have found the person I am today, I would not have found Jane Foster. I would not have turned down the crown."

"You are Odin's only heir."

Thor shrugged. "I think I am meant to find a deeper meaning to my life than being my father's heir. Perhaps this is your meaning. Your purpose?"

"That is what I have been told all my life. A prophecy at my birth set all of that in motion. My father is convinced I will rule the nine realms one day. He thinks this is the beginning of that and that is what I fear."

Thor chuckled at that statement. "Who knows what the Norns have in store for us."

"Who knows," she repeated, softly.

The warriors lining the walk all drew their swords and held them point to point to create an archway. She began her walk. And with each set of swords she passed, they lowered behind her. Sigyn looked into the crowd around her. Most people smiled and cheered for her, then there were many a few faces who did not smile. they opposed her, and scowled at her.

"It is our great privilege to be here to witness the events of today!" the voice of her father boomed. "This is a great day for our realm. To coronate my daughter as your crown princess and heir to the throne!"

The crowd cheered louder for her. She cannot help the smile on her face looking around at her people who still loved her. They shouted for her attention, calling her name, cheering, reaching out for a chance to touch her.

"It is in within my great power as your king to announce this anointment on this day!" Iwaldi paused, waiting as Sigyn finally reached the steps of the throne and stopped. It is here she ascends and no further. The cheer of the crowd stopped.

"I, Iwaldi, King of Vanaheim, first of my name, stand here before you! Who is it that stands before the throne?"

"I am Sigyn. First of my name, Princess of Vanaheim, Princess of Asgard. Goddess of Fidelity, and widow of Loki." she choked but spoke loudly for all to hear.

"Kneel." the king demanded.

Sigyn gracefully dropped to her knees.

"I have made many sacrifices to achieve peace. You, my daughter, were that sacred sacrifice. On that fateful many moons ago when you wed into Asgard." He spoke with sadness. "With you, you united two realms and ended a great war! You have earned the love and trust of both Asgard and Vanaheim and therefore there is no greater person best suited to this position in which I entrust unto you." The King descended the stairs and drew his sword, towering above the princess like a pillar, he raised his skinny sword. "Do you, Sigyn, swear to uphold and keep your sacred duties to this realm?"

"I swear it."

"Do you swear to uphold peace?"

"I swear it."

"Do you swear to cast aside all selfish ambition and pledge yourself to this realm?"
She hesitated. "I swear it."

The King sighed very softly. He raised his thin sword and tapped Sigyn's right shoulder. "I, Iwaldi, King of Vanaheim, call upon the blessings of the Nornir." he moved to her left shoulder. "I hereby anoint you in your name and your birthright as the Crown Princess of Vanaheim. My heir."

Iwaldi turned to his officiant and exchanged his sword for a silver crown of leaves. He hovered just above her head. It felt so far away.

"Within placing this crown, you are pledging yourself to the promises you have sworn." he lowered the crown to her head. "I present to you, Sigyn, the first of her name, Princess of Vanaheim, Princess of Asgard, Goddess of Fidelity, widow of Loki, and crown heir to the throne of Vanaheim. Arise in your new name!"

The crowd burst into cheer. Sigyn rose to her feet and turned to her new people.

"Glory to the princess!" the people of Vanaheim cheered.

Sigyn looked into the crowd again. They smiled and cheered and shouted and threw petals at her. Her eyes stopped on a man who scowled among the majority. A heavy sneer on his lips and a curl to his nose. She knows what he is thinking, damn her to the hells, a woman. Exactly what the lords feared. The divide among the people.

"Glory to the princess!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 82 13
They say when you have children, everything changes - they are your world. For the newest King and Queen of Asgard, nothing could stand between them...
7.7K 422 29
Luft. Goddess of Air. Thor's friend. And as of recently, Loki's ex-friend. Loki tried to blame her for the battle of New York, and Odin banished her...
711 58 25
You were hidden from the world for a long time, there are only 2 people on Midgard who know who you truly are. One is Nick Fury and the other is... w...
11.6K 871 22
Loki was used to feeling like the odd man out. Once the team finally let him join them he had quickly forged a friendship with Bucky, and spent his s...