Lost & Insecure

By aciv147

When Dana Thomas's parents get divorced, and her aunt and uncle pass away, her mother decides it's time for a... More

One - The New Girl
Two - Enter the Vulnerable
Three - One of Those Girls
Four - Friday Night Fights
Five - Suspensions and Confessions
Six - Beautiful Nightmares
Seven - Guys Day In
Eight - I Speak Girl
Nine - When the Roof Caves In
Eleven - She's Finding Me Out
Twelve - Be Here Now.
Thirteen - Forgive and Forget
Fourteen - If You Want Her...
Fifteen - ...Fight For It
Sixteen - The Silence
Seventeen - That Should Be Me
Eighteen - Maybe
Nineteen - Almost Charming
Twenty - Last First Kiss
Twenty-One - Why Don't You Love Me?
Twenty-Two - One Month Down...
Twenty-Three - ...A Lifetime to Go
Twenty-Four - Vulnerable
Twenty-Five - Letting Go
Twenty-Six - A Drop in the Ocean
Twenty-Seven - Happy Chocolate and Flowers Day
Twenty-Eight - The Mess We Made
Twenty-Nine - Present Tense
Thirty - Perfect
Thirty-One - Call It Fate
Thirty-Two - Forever
Thirty-Three - When I'm With You

Ten - You Forgot Your Pants

24K 938 376
By aciv147

Dana and Katie took their time waking up in the morning. It took them longer to admit that they were both awake. Katie's face reddened when her eyes connected with Dana's. She quickly moved away from Dana and nervously muttered, "Sorry," under her breath. Katie knew that she had been sleeping on Dana's chest, but she was hoping that Dana wouldn't know it was intentional. Dana, however, wasn't thinking about the situation as deeply as Katie was. The only thoughts that came across Dana's mind seemed to be how adorable and cute she thought Katie was. Dana believed she could stare at Katie for hours and be perfectly content.

Katie was unaware of the small movements and mannerisms she had that Dana enjoyed so much. Katie had no idea that Dana paid any attention to the fact that the more nervous she was, the quicker Katie moved away from others and pulled her arms close to her chest. She didn't know that when she got self-conscious or became unsure of herself, she would brush a strand of her long black tresses behind her small olive ear. Katie had no idea that Dana paid any attention at all. Dana didn't even know for the most part.

Dana didn't recognize that she often observed Katie and her habits. Dana believed that the way people act when they don't know others are watching is when they're being the most honest. She loved to people watch strangers and create stories in her mind of who those strangers are and where they come from. When it came to people she knew, Dana was mostly curious how different people in her life acted in front of her and when they believed they were alone. It just so happened that Dana was most intrigued by Katie. She loved to observe Katie. Dana didn't realize that she spent more time observing Katie than she did others. She just assumed that she observed who was around her the most – that made sense to Dana. She never once thought that she was giving Katie any special attention.

Dana had lost herself in her observational thoughts after she and Katie had woken up. Katie wrung her hands while speaking softly to Dana, and avoided most eye contact. Dana was intrigued by Katie's behavior. Katie was known to be outgoing and confident, but that's not at all how she was acting in that moment. It was so intriguing to Dana that she nearly wanted to take notes as if she were observing a wild animal. Dana just wanted to know more. However, Katie's shy demeanor prevented Dana from doing so. Instead, she excused herself to the bathroom and offered for Katie to stay for however long she felt comfortable. Dana used the excuse of the bathroom to escape downstairs and leave Katie to herself.

Dana skipped downstairs with an unusual pep in her step, and headed straight for the kitchen. She went directly into the fridge and scavenged for something to eat. Eddie was leaning on the island in the middle of the kitchen eating a bowl of cereal when Dana came running downstairs. "Where's Katie?" He asked with a mouthful of cereal.

"She's still asleep." Dana answered absentmindedly, and then immediately closed the refrigerator door and spun herself around on her heel to face her cousin. "How'd you know Katie was here?"

"I heard you guys talking last night." Eddie was still chomping away at his breakfast. "So you two finally-"

"No." Dana cut him off without hesitation. "She was upset and spent the night here. That's all." Dana reassured him that nothing happened. Eddie shot her a look then proceeded to slurp his leftover cereal milk.

Katie bounced down the stairs and walked into the kitchen looking for Dana. "Hey Dana, I'm going to-" Katie cut herself off when she saw Eddie. "Oh, hey Eddie." She gave him a genuine smile and he sent a mocking glare in Dana's direction.

"Ignore him." Dana shot a look right back to Eddie. "What's up?"

"Oh, I was just saying that I was going to head back home."

"Right now?" Dana asked. She eyed Katie up and down attempting to make reference to the fact that Katie was still in Dana's sweatpants and t-shirt.

"Yeah, if you don't mind me returning these later." Katie clung onto her own clothes that Dana had failed to notice she was holding before. Dana shook her head to signal that she was okay with Katie's plan. "Okay, well I'll see you later then. Thank you. Oh and bye, Eddie." Katie smiled at the two of them before being led by Dana to the front door.

Dana walked back into the kitchen where Eddie continued to mock her. He began smiling and shaking his head. "Oh shut up." Dana hissed, resuming her hunt for food. Dana groaned when she heard the doorbell ring. "Edwin, can you get it?"

"Why should I?" Eddie's smart comment caused Dana to glare at him again. He put his hands up to signal his surrender and headed to the front door. He opened the door and was surprised to see someone he hadn't recognized asking for Dana. "You know Dana?" Eddie found himself asking.

"Uh, yes? We're friends." The girl standing in front of Eddie started to become confused. "Wait," she said, realizing whom she was speaking to, "you're Eddie."

Eddie nodded. "And you are...?"

"Grace." Grace smiled at him and Eddie nodded in realization. "So you've heard of me?" Grace teased him.

"I would say 'only good things', but we both know I'd be lying." Eddie let the snarky comment escape his mouth without thinking about what he had said. He sidestepped and gestured for Grace to walk inside. "She's in the kitchen." Grace thanked Eddie, and Eddie lightly banged his head on the front door, regretting his stupidity.

"Grace?" Dana was surprised to see her. "What's going on?" Grace explained to Dana what Katie had already revealed last night. "What, am I everybody's therapist all of a sudden now?" Dana slightly complained. "I don't know what to tell you, Grace." Dana shrugged.

Grace stared at the floor and Eddie leaned in the doorway smiling. "So your best friend's boyfriend cheated on her...with you?" Grace whipped her attention towards Eddie. "I'd be pissed." He nearly sang the last word as it escaped him.

"And I understand that." Grace admitted. "But I don't want to lose Katie. Why should I do?"

"Honestly? Leave her alone." Eddie's tone made it obvious that he wondered how Grace couldn't come up with that solution on her own. "And if you don't want it to just be left the way it is then send her one message. Just one. And say that you're sorry, you never wanted to hurt her, and you'll give her space until she's ready to speak to you."

Grace looked at Eddie then glanced at Dana who shrugged. They were both surprised by Eddie's advice. "Thanks, Eddie. I think I'll do that." Grace smiled at him.

"Honestly I don't know why everyone goes to Dana. I mean I'm clearly the Dr. Phil in this family."

Grace laughed at Eddie and gave him an unexpected hug. "Maybe I should call you next time something goes wrong." Eddie awkwardly hugged her back and silenced himself. Grace pulled away from the hug and smiled again. "Well, I have to go. I'll see you two on Monday." Dana said goodbye, and Grace found her way out of the house.

Dana shot Eddie a suggestive look, and mocked him with his own words, "So you two finally...?"

Eddie glared at her. "Oh shut up," he whined, winding up to jokingly swing at her. Dana slapped his stomach quickly and ran away, causing Eddie to chase after her, still whining.

☼ ☼ ☼

Katie was lying on her bed on the phone with Ashley, who was apologizing immensely. Katie heard tapping on her window and sat up quickly. "Uh Ash, I'm going to have to call you back," Katie hung up on her friend without a response, and looked at the window the tapping had come from. Dana waved with an innocent, goofy smile on her face. Katie walked over and opened the window. "What the hell are you doing?" She scolded with a smile. Katie unlatched the window screen and Dana pushed against it to allow the window to Katie's room to be accessible.

"You forgot your pants." Dana tossed a pair of jeans inside, hitting Katie in the face. "I would've waited, but I think it's supposed to rain."

"And you couldn't use the front door?" Katie asked, throwing the pants onto her bed.

"I could have. But I didn't." Dana shrugged. "I didn't want to make you have to walk all the way downstairs just for a pair of pants."

"So, logically, you scale the side of my house and come in through my window...?"

"Technically, I didn't have to scale the side of your house." Dana corrected. She moved to the side and gestured to the large tree that stood in front of Katie's window. Katie slowly nodded, understanding how Dana had managed to get up to her window. "Besides, I kind of have a thing for roofs." Dana made a funny face which made Katie smile at her. Dana and Katie started talking when it began to pour outside. "Mind if I...?" Dana asked, getting drenched on the roof. Katie shook her head no, and stepped aside for Dana to climb in. "Thanks. And I guess that's a sign that I should go." Dana quipped.

"Sure. But, you can use the front door to leave." Katie offered.

"That's a lot more appealing than attempting to walk on your roof in this rain." Dana admitted. She and Katie both walked downstairs to Katie's front door.

Dana put her hand on the doorknob, but paused when Katie unexpectedly spoke up, "Dana," Katie's high-pitched squeak made Dana jump slightly. She turned her head to Katie, who was standing unexpectedly close to her. "Thank you." Katie said quickly. "You know, for being there last night. And for letting me spend the night." Katie's eyes drifted slowly down to Dana's lips where they paused for a long moment. "I really..." Katie's words trailed off as she began to lean into Dana. She began to close her eyes and continued to slowly lean in when a heavy knock on the door startled her. Katie jumped back and quickly snapped out of whatever spell she thought she was under.

Dana swung the door open and spotted a package on the front step, and a deliveryman running back to his truck. Dana and Katie both waved to the man before Dana knelt down for the package and handed it to Katie. Katie's hand grazed Dana's with a light static shock, and Katie inhaled sharply in response. "I'll see you in school, kid." Dana teased with a crooked smile. She pulled her jacket tighter around her torso and began to jog across the street back to her house.

Katie watched Dana in a daze before for a brief moment before calling after her, "Dana, wait!" Katie's words made Dana stop in the middle of the street and turn around. Katie held up her index finger to beg Dana to hold her position. Katie immediately dropped the package in her hands and sprinted back up the stairs. Katie ran into the rain and Dana's eyebrow lifted in confusion as her eyes followed Katie running towards her into the middle of the road.

The corner of Dana's mouth began to lift as she began to speak, "What are y-" Dana's words were cut off by Katie's lips colliding with hers. Katie pulled away quickly, and Dana still had her eyebrow cocked out of shock. Katie bit her lip to stop herself from smiling and swiftly handed Dana the clothes that she had borrowed the night before, "You forgot your pants."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Chapter song: "Wildest Dreams" (Cover) by Simply Three feat. Alyson Stoner

Oh and in case you haven't been noticing, I've been posting my "casting" for characters in the media section of every chapter. You should be able to swipe the songs to the side and see them (or find the arrow on desktop) in case you're curious!

I hope you're enjoying the story so far.

Until next time,
Adrienne (:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

283K 10.5K 26
Cameron "Cammie" Bailey is used to moving every few years, so spending her senior year in a new place starting over once again doesn't seem to faze h...
108K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...
10.6K 518 17
Kyla and Holly are not meant to know each other, not meant to know the other ones secrets, not meant to be dating. Yet they do. The two girls have be...
19.7K 952 31
Mikayla is used to working hard. As the only person in her house, she works multiple jobs to pay the bills and put food in the cupboards. Having no f...