The Hands of Fate

By YourTypicalNovelist

In the kingdom of Allenia, it is a law that royals marry royals, and peasants marry peasants. The kingdom has... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Names of Spells in The Hands of Fate

Chapter 13

2.4K 115 8
By YourTypicalNovelist

The walk to the stables was silent, awkward, and painful.

Caspian wanted to talk to Farah, he ached to talk to her, he just didn't know what to say. The Prince occasionally stole a glance at the maid, but was reluctant to watch her graceful movements for fear that she would see him and think he judging when he really was admiring her.

The maid on the other hand kept trying to avoid the Prince's gaze, knowing that if she gazed at him her heart would melt just like it always did. Eventually the two made it to the stables, much to Farah's relief, and began to tack up the horses.

Farah, of course, had chosen to ride Atlas. Although Caspian seemed reluctant at first, he had allowed her to ride the stallion without Farah needing to push him too much. It was clear the horse meant a lot to Caspian, but Farah knew deep down that she cared for it more, though she would never tell Caspian this; for she was the one who fed Atlas, cleaned him, and kept his stall nice and sanitary.

As Farah saddled the beast she glanced over at Caspian. She giggled, seeing he was having a bit of a hard time working on his stallion's saddle. Farah tied Atlas' reigns to a post, then walking over to Caspian's horse. She knew the stallion, his name was Bayard. He was a lean palomino stallion with silky white hair, Bayard fit Caspian's rank, with his glowing golden coat and proud, regal stature.

Farah tapped Caspian's shoulder and he spun around, seeing her, he smiled. "Hey, Farah, I-"

"Do you need help?" The maid asked with a chuckle. The Prince blushed, nodding. Farah laughed, shaking her head. Caspian stared at the ground, ashamed, and Bayard snorted almost as if he too were laughing. Farah patted Caspian's shoulder.

"Cas, it's fine, you're fine," Farah smiled that brilliant smile making Caspian's heart flutter. He smiled at her with not much more confidence. Farah blushed now, though it was less noticeable.

She took a deep breath, then moving more towards the stallion. Bayard lowered his muzzle, chewing on some straw. Farah turned her head, looking at Caspian.

"Come here, Cas, I'll show you." Caspian nodded, moving closer. His arm brushed Farah's making chills run throughout her body, but she ignored them, taking the leather girth and explaining as she worked. "See this hole here?" Farah asked, pointing to a small hole in the girth. Caspian nodded, watching as she took the other part of the leather material.

"Now, with this hand you put this through the hole. Got it?" Farah asked, looking up at Caspian. He blinked, looking at the piece of leather in her left hand. It appeared to get smaller and smaller until it was a long line that was thin yet sturdy enough to get through the hole. Taking a moment to understand her words he watched the pieces, then nodding once more. "Good, now, once this leather piece it through the hole you're going to do a double knot, but when you knot it the second time don't go too tight or else it'll be impossible to undo."

In one swift movement, the girth was fully attached to the saddle and secure. Caspian stared in awe at Farah, blinking nonstop trying to process how she had done that so quickly. He heard her laugh and watched, Farah covered her mouth with her hand delicately. "Sorry, Cas," she said still giggling, "it's just your face."

"That looks so hard!" Caspian protested, "it seems nearly impossible!"

"Yes, it seems nearly impossible. That doesn't mean it is," Farah stated. "After you've done it a few times it's easy, don't worry."

The maid then turned, walking over to Atlas, whose white coat seemed to brighten up the dark room. Caspian followed Farah, going to help her onto the stallion. Farah, though, had other plans. Easily she put her foot into one of the iron stirrups, showing her worn out, broken shoes. Upon seeing her shoe in such horrible condition, Farah covered it with her dress quickly so that Caspian couldn't see, but he already had. He stared at the shoe in horror, not acknowledging how Farah then gracefully hoisted herself up onto Atlas' back, setting her other foot in another stirrup.

She seemed proud of herself, that is until she saw Caspian, still staring at the shoe in horror. The maid sighed to herself. Had he expected to see much better? She was a maid after all, not some preppy Princess who had everything she could want, for if she was she would've already married Caspian and had her happily ever after that she knew would never come.

Farah cleared her throat, making Caspian jump.

"Oh, sorry, I, um-"

"Cas, can we... talk about this later?" Farah asked softly, embarrassment in her tone.

Caspian nodded, feeling terrible for his friend. Why should she be forced to wear something so unsafe and uncomfortable while he was over here with ten pairs of perfectly ideal footwear? He couldn't think of any possible answer, his parents had the money, didn't they? Then why couldn't they buy the maids new shoes?

Caspian pushed the thought out of his mind as he mounted Bayard, gripping the stallion's reigns. He then nudged the stallion into a walk, heading out of the stables and down a spiraling path which he knew led to a beautiful terrain where the two could talk privately.

Farah came riding up beside him once they had passed town and entered the woodlands. She rode in silence, letting her body move back and forth with Atlas' as he walked. His reigns were loose in her hand, whereas Caspian's reigns were pulled back firmly, keeping the stallion's head pulled back and stiff.

Farah frowned, watching as Caspian didn't even realize how uncomfortable Bayard was. She kept watching him until he looked at her.

"What?" Caspian asked innocently.

"Loosen Bayard's reigns, he's too uptight," Farah said plainly. Caspian looked down at the reigns then at Bayard. Seeing the strain and tension in the stallions body he immediately loosened his grip on the stallion's reigns. Almost instantaneously, Bayard moved his head around, stretching.

Farah smiled, watching as the stallion acted as if he was being finally released from prison without a terrible fine, and with his head still attached to his neck. Caspian grinned, seeing Farah admire Bayard. The thoughts from before suddenly took over his mind again, and Caspian seized his opportunity.

"Farah, I.....I know , you probably don't want to talk about it, but.... your shoes, they-"

"I know, they're ugly," Farah said solemnly, staring down at Atlas' withers. Caspian's eyes widened as he felt he had somehow made her sad.

"Farah, no, I-I was just asking because I wanted to know if, well, if all the maids were treated like this...?"

The maid looked from the stallion to Caspian, seeing how hurt and guilty he felt she smiled sympathetically. "Oh, Caspian," she said softly. Farah took a deep breath, "do you... really want to know?"

In the moonlight it was hard to see all of Farah's features correctly, but he could most definitely see her eyes. Those eyes always seemed to tell a story, a sad and terrible yet beautiful story. Upon hearing her words, Caspian nodded.

"Yes, I do, tell me everything."

"Cas, maids aren't exactly treated.... the best..." Farah started. "We are given not much pay, two pairs of clothing, one pair of shoes, and tight sleeping quarters. When a maid passes away, we do not mourn them as much as we would mourn a duke, duchess, Prince or Princess." Farah looked down solemnly. "I mean, of course us maids mourn the certain one that has passed, but we aren't given much time to grieve, so our hurt and suffering and pain is molded into nostalgic and pleasing memories."

Caspian listened, shocked at her words. He remembered when a duke passed away once. That day the whole kingdom had dropped everything to pay homage to the dead man. Caspian remembered he had to go to a whole long funeral for the duke. To think that maids would just have to continue work when someone they loved died was something Caspian couldn't believe could be done.

"We also work many hours, us maids wake up even before dawn while you sleep in order to have breakfast ready in time; and we only go to bed after all of the royals and guests are safe in their beds. Most new maids can't stand the schedule sometimes, and so more experienced maids have to take over one of their morning shifts. If you can't tell already, being a maid isn't exactly a...... easy job," Farah continued. Caspian listened intently, taking in every single word she said in disbelief.

"Cas, the... the next thing you're going to hear, I don't think you're going to enjoy..." Farah said nervously, her body becoming tense, not exactly knowing how Caspian would react to the next part if she told him.

"Farah, I'll be fine, I swear." Caspian nodded to her. Farah nodded anxiously, her lips opening and closing as she tried to decide what to say.

"Well, when a maid does something.... wrong... they get a.... punishment."

"What's so bad about that? It's discipline. I mean if they're going to get paid to work then they-"

"They get beaten, Cas, beaten."

"H-how would you know?" Caspian said, hoping that what she said next wasn't what he thought it was going to be.

"Because I have scars to prove it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 214 26
The drums of war have just been sent roaring!! Now whom is my Father's grand army fighting against???, Well no one is entirely sure, but to instill m...
76 0 40
Despite what Emrys has been told, her Kingdom Abneer was not the only one to survive, King Reyes is not the only monarch, and monsters are real. Pre...
976K 50.3K 73
‟Tonight shall be the first and last night that we spend together, Gianita, for I do not intend to produce heirs by this marriage. The Prince would s...
66 0 45
Lady Bertia, who's become my fiancée, is a bit odd. On our first meeting, she proclaimed herself a villainess noble girl who's been reincarnated and...