Valentine's Dinner?

By ZonderZorg

Set in an environment of extreme wealth in contemporary London, this is a story of tender new love trying to... More

Caution and Copyright
The Cover
1. The Deal
2. Up in the Air
3. Discoveries
4. Awakenings
5. Explorations
6. Realisations
7. Superb After Superb
8. Secrets
9. Bliss
10. More Secrets
11. Resolution
12. Declarations
13. Plans
14. The Talk
15. More Talk
16. A Walk
17. Victoria Square
18. Dinner and More
19. After-Dinner Talk
20. Staff and Others
21. Harrods
22. Finding Comfort
23. Taking the Bull by the Horns
24. Coffee and Complications
25. Relationship Discussions
26. Bonding
27. Deeper Bonding
28. Deepest Bonding
29. Stoned
30. Top of Table
31. Table Atop Tabletop
32. From Wild to Decadent
33. Another Talk
34. Talk and Emails
35. The Spa
36. From Bliss on Down
37. Oh, God!
38. Technical Talk
39. Wait or What?
40. Coffee Distraction
41. Of Pods and Choppers
42. Inbound
43. Reunited
44. Reconnecting
45. Early Morning Chats
46. Baby Talk
47. Of Cirques and Fannies
48. To Franschhoek
50. Win-Win
51. Distraction
52. Back Aboard
53. Customs
54. Connecting with the Office
55. Slippery Stalker
56. Heading North
57. Back in London
58. Surprises
59. Shangri-La
60. Connecting the Dots
61. Home
62. Settling In
63. Increasing Comfort
64. Family
65. Dinner at Home
66. Travel Plans
67. Bricks and Stones
68. Updates
69. Ending and Beginning
70. Onward
Some of My Other Stories

49. Good Buy or Good Bye

428 42 118
By ZonderZorg

Lisa set the chopper down on the lawns between the winery and the classic Cape Dutch house at Eikenhoutskloof. The whine of the turbine rapidly decreased, and when it was near silent, Valerie removed her headset, smiling as she fluffed her hair. "You had been so close to here yesterday."

"We were. Lisa told us it was just under five miles." Lorne chuckled. "The first bit, though, was rather vertical."

"Yeah, looked rugged up there." She undid her seat harness, then took his offered hand as he guided her out of the chopper.

Chloe bounded toward them, her face beaming. "Can we buy one of these, Mummy?" She wrapped her arms around her mother and wiggled close. "That was so, so amazing. I want to learn how to fly one."

"Hmmm. I think there are age restrictions, Sweetheart. Like driving a car."

Chloe looked up, pouting. "I'd like to skip being young, so I can start doing all the good stuff."

Lorne chuckled. "It's best not to skip the fundamental steps. Experience youth while you still have it." He bent and kissed Chloe's cheek, then he continued, "Let's go meet the others and get on with the day."

After introductions to the owners, their lawyer and three government officials, Lorne and his staff headed into the winery office with them. Meanwhile, Valerie, Chloe and Lisa were escorted into the house by the owner's daughter, Martine, who called as she entered, "You may serve the tea now, Rethabile."

She led them into the lounge. "Please, let's sit. We're relieved you're here." She shrugged. "Yesterday when you didn't arrive, we initially thought it was just another buyer scared off by the new government policies."

"Hmmm." Valerie nodded. "Yeah, I can see that. How long have you been trying to sell?"

"Over a year now." Martine laughed. "Not funny, but the sale was all but complete last February when President Zuma announced the new restrictions."

"The foreign ownership?"

"Yes, and all the confusion which has followed. They are still trying to sort out how to do it without upsetting everything. Still no legislation; only talk."

"What about the employment regulations? Those are..." Valerie paused at Martine's signal when a woman pushed a tea cart into the room.

As Rethabile laid out platters and poured tea, Martine said, "Just a light one now. We have a lunch planned later — whenever the placating has been completed."

"Placating?"

Martine raised a finger. "In a moment." Then she turned to the woman and continued, "Thank you, Rethabile. That will be all for now."

After the tea trolley had been wheeled away, Martine continued, "The system has devolved to keeping the government happy. Placated."

"So, that's why there are three officials here."

"No, there's no need for any, but if there were, it would be for only one." She laughed. "They've nearly tripled the number of government employees, and it seems in order to justify the numbers, they make up tasks and assign two or three to each. Pa calls it magnified incompetence."

Valerie nodded as she sipped her rooibos. "So, what are your plans? Your family's plans once it's sold?"

"Move back to Europe. I'm already there, and Mama wanted to move years ago when the situation began deteriorating." She shrugged. "But Pa kept saying it's a temporary phase." After a loud laugh, she continued. "And each step down was temporary. Now it's apparent they no longer want whites to succeed."

"That won't help the remainder of the population." Valerie shook her head. "All that does is ruin the economy and lessen the opportunity for the previously disadvantaged to succeed."

"We know that. We wish they would realise it."

"Be better for all. And you? You say you're in Europe."

"In Bordeaux as a viticulturist. I stayed after I finished my degree at Montpelier. I'm here now to help get ready for harvest." Pruning's done, and there's little else to do in the French vineyards until frost prevention in the spring."

Lisa spoke up. "I've flown frost prevention in Breedekloof a few times and once in Robertson. Never here, though."

"Yes, those regions are at a higher elevation than Franschhoek. Several of our neighbours in Pauillac use helicopters."

"Helicopters and frost?" Chloe contorted her face. "Can't make sense of that combination."

Lisa chuckled. "Do you understand how cold air sinks and warm air rises?"

"Yes, it's part of thermodynamics. Air contracts when it cools, so it's heavier per volume."

"Exactly! Well to do it, the helicopter hovers in the warmer layer, allowing the rotor to pull the air down from above. This also moves air around on the ground to prevent the cold from pooling in low spots. This is to lessen the chance of frost damage to tender new growth on the vines."

Chloe sighed. "When will I be old enough to fly one?"

"We need to be seventeen here. It's likely the same in Britain."

Chloe pouted, then joined the others in a rambling conversation. A long while later, Brigitte walked into the room shaking her head. "Idiots. We're being run by idiots."

"What is it, Mama?"

"The three minions are off in a private meeting to discuss regulations." She mocked a silent scream.

"So, it's getting close?"

"They took wine to assist with their deliberations."

"Oh!" Martine sighed. "How much?"

"Only one bottle this time. But they mentioned all the empty space in their unlocked van." She shook her head.

"So, will Pa comply?"

"Looks like the only way to get it approved."

Valerie butted in. "Couldn't this be referred up the line to those in charge? The minister, the department heads?"

"These are them."

"Oh!" Valerie nodded. "Yeah, no sense letting bribes go to juniors. How long is their meeting expected to last?"

"Depends on how long it takes them to finish the wine. There is nothing to deliberate except how many cases they find in their van."

"So, the employment regulations? They are turning a blind eye?"

"Mr Benton has proposed that if the sale is approved, he will establish a winery and vineyard worker indoctrination and training centre for the region."

Valerie bobbed her head as she thought. Beneficial for his other wine holdings. "Wise. Something the government should have done. They'd be idiots to refuse."

"They are idiots. Unpredictable ones." Brigitte laughed. "At least in France, the idiocy is predictable. Here, they could simply drive away with a van full of wine, laughing at our gullibility."

Must be some reason Lorne wants to continue here. "And to report them would make the sale even more difficult on the next attempt."

"Yup! That's their game."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 3.3K 33
Mature | Erotica | Smut ***COMPLETED*** African American design wiz Kerstin London knows all about success. She has transformed herself from an 'unwa...
273K 7.2K 30
*Book title has been updated, previously known as Ace* Imagine seeing someone unable to buy food because they didn't have the money. Then randomly a...
441K 13.5K 30
"Whatever you have that stupid grin on your face for, the answer is no. No smoking, no guns, none of your Mafia friends, none of any of that. And mos...
1K 111 40
"What?" He asked, pulling me from my daydream again. I chuckled, biting my lip again. "Are you thinking about me naked?" He asked jokingly. I blushed...