The Lucky Bump

By liv814

{Highest Ranking: #160 in Teen Fiction & #1 in Love at First Sight} Zac Logan thought he had everything. His... More

Prologue | Rock With You
Characters | Tattoo
Chapter 1 | Start of Something New
Chapter 2 | Party in the USA
Chapter 3 | Summer Shade
Chapter 4 | Friends
Chapter 5 | She Looks So Perfect
Chapter 6 | Crush
Chapter 7 | A Million Dreams
Chapter 8 | Same Girl
Chapter 9 | M. I. A.
Chapter 10 | Treat You Better
Chapter 11 | My Dilemma
Chapter 12 | Rewrite the Stars
Chapter 13 | 10,000 Hours
Chapter 14 | You Belong with Me
Chapter 15 | Last First Kiss
Chapter 16 | Better With You
Chapter 17 | He Could Be the One
Chapter 18 | Nobody But You
Chapter 19 | Walk with Me
Epilogue | Perfect
Playlist | Yeah!
Other Stories & A/N
Life with Colton

Chapter 20 | Marry You

11.8K 295 47
By liv814

The school was buzzing. Girls were gossiping and trading beauty tips. The boys were dreading it. Prom was the next day and most had skipped school. They weren't even really learning since mostly all the seniors were gone. They were off getting perms, mani-pedis, and facials. Hailey was one of the few that didn't, but that was mostly because she had no clue where to get any of those things. Oh, and she didn't have the cash. She was going to try to save as much as she could for nursing school. She had gotten accepted into the same college as Ben to receive her associates degree. She still hadn't decide what her plan was, but she was going to take it one day at a time.

"Remind me why we are in school instead of at the spa?" Mariah said. She let her tray of food drop onto the table. Some of the lettuce from her salad flopped onto the tray. "I don't even feel like eating this."

"I still don't understand why you eat this leafy substance." Bella said with a grimace. She flicked some of it around. Hailey giggled.

"What are you two yapping about?" Evan asked. Zac and Nate followed his lead and sat down.

"About your girlfriend's horrible distaste in food." Bella said. She then bit the burger she had gotten.

"You have lettuce in the burger." Mariah pointed out. Bella rolled her eyes. She reached for her water bottle.

"So, where do I get the croissant?" Nate asked. Bella then spat her water all over Nate. She even managed to spray her twin. "What the actual fuck babe!"

"Seriously Isabella!" Evan shouted. They were soaking wet with water and spit. It was amusing and disgusting.

"Do not call me Isabella." Bella said through gritted teeth. Evan rolled his eyes.

"Now that that is done with." Mariah mumbled. She then sat up straight and put on a serious face. "Nate, I already ordered our corsages, knowing you three dumbos will not."

"What the heck Mar? Why am I brought into this?" Zac said. He had been beside Hailey, admiring her. She looked even more gorgeous than the day before. She was only wearing workout pants and a crop top.

"Because, I know you still didn't get one." Mariah said with an eye roll.

"Fine." Zac mumbled. Hailey laughed. She loved seeing Zac pout. It hardly ever happens, so she makes sure to bask it all in.

"Anyway, we have hair and makeup at noon. Pictures are at four and dinner is at six. Prom starts at eight and then we have the best time of our lives." Mariah said. She picked up her water bottle and unscrewed the lid. She placed it in the middle of the table, in the air and gestured for everyone else to do the same. She gave them a smile. "To us."

"To us." They said in unison.

-

"Remind me again why I agreed to this?" Hailey asked. She was restraining herself from itching her head. Her hair was currently being done by some hairstylist. She was nice and didn't talk much.

"Because Hails, tonight, you get laid." Bella smirked. Hailey's eyes widen.

"Bella!" She shouted.

"What?" Bella asked as if she didn't say anything wrong.

"Enough you two." Mariah said. She was laying back as a makeup artist did her face. "We are going to have fun. Now shut up."

"Sheesh. Control freak much." Bella mumbled. Mariah opened an eye, giving them a look. "Sorry."

"You look gorgeous." The hairstylist said. Hailey sat up with anticipation. Her chair then swung around to face the mirror.

"Woah." Hailey said. Her makeup was done flawlessly with a nude lip and fierce brows. Highlight was placed strategically over the high points of her face with contour emphasizing her jawline. Her hair was straightened with a few front pieces tied back.

"You are going to look smokin' once you have your dress on." Mariah said. Bella was nodding her head in agreement.

"You two are done too." The hairstylist said. Mariah had a satisfied smile on her face while Bella sat in awe.

"Bells, stop staring at your face. You look pretty too." Mariah said with a giggle. Bella rolled her eyes. "Now let's go."

"Thank you." Hailey told the hairstylist. Mariah paid her as they made their way out of the salon. "So, now what?"

"Now, we go back to your home to get ready." Mariah said. They piled into her black 2017 Audi.

"Remind me why we are getting ready at my house?" Hailey asked. When Mariah proposed that they get ready in her home, she questioned it. Mariah said her home was being deep cleaned and Bella's father was home.

"Because, we always get ready at Bella's and my house is being cleaned, thanks to that party you guys threw." Mariah said. Hailey rolled her eyes.

"Your house wasn't even that trashed." Bella said. She turned around and gave Hailey a smirk. Mariah looked in the rearview mirror and gave her a blank look.

"Anyway, we're here." Mariah said. She parked the car in the Foster driveway. They quickly got out of the car and walked up the front steps. The front door then swung open.

"Well if it isn't my little sister and her friends." Ben said. Hailey giggled. She gave him a small hug before pushing past him. The girls followed. It seemed like all her siblings were having a get together without her. They were sitting around the living room with drinks and chips on the coffee table.

"What's going on here?" Hailey asked. Josh smiled up at her.

"You look beautiful Hails. You look just like mom." Josh said softly. Hailey felt her heart drop.

"I agree. You will be by far the prettiest girl at the prom." Ben said. He had closed the door and was crushing her into his chest. Their words were making Hailey want to cry. They always told her how much she looked like her mom.

"Stop guys. You are going to make me ruin my makeup." Hailey said blinking rapidly. She was trying to stop the tears from flowing. Mariah would have a fit if she started to bawl.

"I don't want to be rude and empathetic, but we need to finish getting ready." Mariah said. She grabbed Hailey's arm, pulling her away from her brother. "The boys should be here in an hour."

"As you say." Ben said bowing down. Hailey giggled. Her tears were long gone and replaced by smiles.

"Your brother is so funny." Mariah said in a bored tone. Hailey laughed.

"So, are you ready for tonight?" Bella asked. She grabbed her dress from Hailey's closet. They had brought over their gowns when they picked up Hailey for the salon.

"No." Hailey said honestly. She tugged on a loose hair, still admiring her look. She really did look like her mom. She wished she was here to see her leave for prom with an amazing guy. She knew her mom would have loved Zac. Her dad probably would have been against his little girl having a boyfriend, but he would have warmed up to him instantly. He fit in his family perfectly.

"Put the dress on babe. You will be." Mariah said. She grabbed her gown and disappeared into the bathroom. Hailey reached for the bag that had her dress. She unzipped it and gasped. She remembered purchasing it, but it seemed even more beautiful now that it was hers.

The girls had picked her up a few weeks ago and took her to the closest prom shop. They spent hours looking for their dresses. Bella was the first to complain before she found the perfect one. Mariah had more difficulty, considering she was super picky. Hailey just didn't have an idea what she wanted or what color. She browsed rack after rack until spotting the purple magenta dress. She pulled it off and instantly regretted it. It was a two piece with cutouts. It was too provocative for her. Bella had come over and gasped.

"Hails, you need this. This is the one." Bella said. She grabbed it and headed over to the fitting rooms. Hailey groaned, knowing that unless she tried it on, Bella would not let her place it back.

"What did you find?" Mariah asked coming over. She also had a dress in hand.

"Hailey's dress." Bella answered. She then turned to Hailey. "Try it on."

"I love this color. I agree with Bella. Try it on." Mariah said. She then disappeared into her own dressing room. Hailey sighed but took it into the room. She slipped out of her jeans and top.

She put on the dress. It was tricky at first, considering it had thin straps that went around her stomach, connecting the floor length skirt to the halter crop top. She tied the strings around her neck and looked at the wall mirror.

She couldn't believe her eyes. She looked pretty. The skirt emphasized her hips since it was slightly high waisted. The halter top let her clavicles show while the small cut out in between her breasts was just the right amount.

"Hails, let us see!" Mariah shouted. Hailey unlocked the door and let them in. "Oh my god! This looks amazing on you. You need to get it."

"I agree. This is perfect!" Bella said. Hailey looked in the mirror again. They were right it was gorgeous. She needed to get it. "How much is it?"

Hailey reached for the tag on her back. She turned her head, reading the price. Her heart plumbed to her stomach when she saw it. She couldn't get this. It was much too expensive and she still had to pay for college.

"Now that's a bargain." Mariah said, taking the tag from her to read it. Hailey shook her head.

"Guys, I can't afford this." Hailey said. She scrunched up the skirt and slid on her jeans. She then pulled off the top and put her white tank top back on.

"Yes you can. Josh gave us some cash, plus Zac gave us his card. I swear that boy would buy you the world if you asked. Mariah said in awe. Hailey's cheeks grew red. Why was Zac always perfect to her?

"Now that we have that dealt with, let's go. I am starving." Bella said with eagerness. She placed the gown back in its bag and began to walk off to the register. Mariah grabbed her own dress and followed. Hailey stood still. She loved that dress but she didn't want Zac or Josh paying for it.

"Come on Hailey. Just live in the moment, worry about the price later." Mariah shouted. Hailey sighed. There was nothing she could do now.

Hailey smiled at the memory. She had to remind herself to never go shopping with her fashion obsessed friend. She would spend hours at the mall if Bella and Hailey let her. Hailey had confronted Zac about giving Mariah his card and offering to pay for the dress. He simply shrugged and said he didn't care how much it cost. He only wanted her to be happy which in return, made her happy.

She took the dress and walked out of her room. She would change in Ben's room. She opened the door, walking in. She scrunched up her nose in disgust. She looked around and saw a few beer cans and empty bags of chips. When was the last time those two cleaned in here?

She placed the dress on the bed and slipped out of her baggy t-shirt and shorts. She had showered before the salon and was already wearing a strapless bra for the dress. She was also wearing seamless underwear. The girls had suggested lingerie, but she quickly denied that option. She did not want to plan for that. If it happens, it happens because the time is right and not because she was anticipating it.

She slid on the dress and walked back to her room. Mariah was sitting at the vanity, adding lipgloss to her lips. Bella was in the bathroom. She was probably putting her dress on. Hailey hung the bag in her closet, reaching for her nude strappy heels. They were about five inches and still made her shorter than Zac.

"Oh my god! This looks perfect on you. You look insanely hot. I'd screw you." Mariah joked. Hailey rolled her eyes. Her and Bella's bluntness was something she would never get accustomed to.

"You need hoop earrings." Bella said walking out. She pulled on the ends of her dress and walked over to her bag. She then handed a silver pair of earrings to Hailey. She also handed her a few silver rings. "Now you look perfect."

"I feel pretty." Hailey said. She twirled in the floor length dress and giggled. She felt like a princess.

"You should! You look like a fucking princess babe." Bella said. Bella slid on her own shoes before cocking a hip. "So, what do you guys think?"

She was wearing a red spaghetti strap gown. It cinched at her waist and flowed down. It was made of a satin material. Her hair was in loose curls with it parted to one side. She wore a bold red lip with defined brows. She had gold jewelry on her wrists and matching pumps.

"I love this color on you." Mariah said. She then flipped her hair back. "Now me."

Mariah was wearing a pink dress with a crystal encrusted belt at her waist. The skirt was made out of a tulle like material. Her hair was like Hailey's. Top pieces were pulled back while the other half was down in curls. Her makeup was simple and elegant with some gloss. (pretend it's Evan)

"Girls. I think we did good." Bella said. She grabbed the bottoms of her dress and began to walk out of Hailey's room.

"Where are you going?" Mariah asked. She sprayed body mist on her.

"The boys are here. I can here Nate's voice." Bella said. Mariah nodded and grabbed her own things. Hailey did the same, feeling the butterflies in her stomach start to flutter. She hoped tonight was a night to remember.

When Zac arrived, Nate and Evan were punching each other in the Foster driveway. Zac rolled his eyes at his immature friends. He didn't even want to know what they were fighting about now. It always led to them punching each other in the face. It'll be over soon.

"Hey guys." Zac said interrupting them. Nate was about to sock Evan in the cheek but stopped. They both did. They had cheesy grins on their faces.

"Wow. You didn't try to stop us." Nate said. He ran a hand through his hair before straightening his suit jacket.

"I don't care enough. You two are children." Zac said honestly. He walked up to the front door and walked in.

"What the fuck Logan? We had been waiting for twenty minutes for you to show up to ring the doorbell." Nate said. They walked into the living room and saw the Fosters. They were playing Monopoly on the ground. Hailey and Trinity were the only ones not there.

"Language Nate." Josh's intimidating voice said. Nate straightened his body out. Zac smirked. That was why those two didn't come in. They're still scared of Josh. He would never tell them that he was a really a big teddy bear.

"You guys look well." Ben said. He sipped back a bottle of beer. Josh then pulled it out of his grasp. "Hey!"

"Nice try Benjamin." Josh said with narrowed eyes. Ben sighed and reached for a can of pop. "The girls are still getting ready."

"You guys want to play?" Seth asked. Nate shook his head while Evan looked like he was contemplating.

"We don't have time Evan." Nate said annoyed. Evan groaned.

"But I love this game." Evan argued.

"Who knew you were such a girl Green." Luke teased. He had a smirk on his face. Josh then picked up the dice and rolled them in his hand. "Yes. Pay up Joshua."

"Lucas." Josh threatened. Luke only stuck his hand out for the fake money. Josh sighed and handed it over.

"And we're the children." Nate scoffed. Zac only rolled his eyes.

"Presenting the pretty princess!" They all turned to see Trinity at the top of the stairs. She was dressed in her tutu, waving a wand. "I'm their fairy godmother."

"Well Trinity, present us with your creations." Ben said, encouraging her. She giggled.

"First we have Bella Green." Trinity said. Bella then began to walk down the stairs. Nate took in a breath as he watched her come down.

"You look beautiful sis." Evan said complimenting her. Bella smiled, walking over to Nate. He placed his hands on her hips and whispered something in her ear. She giggled before kissing his lips.

"Now we have Mariah Carter!" Trinity shouted. Mariah descended the stairs with a grin. She was always the one dreaming of being a princess. Even as a teen, Zac recalled she wished to find her prince. He believed that she did. She walked over to Evan. He stared at her starstruck. She giggled, waving her hand in front of his face. He blinked rapidly before placing his hands on her cheeks. She giggled as he leaned in. Zac looked away, not wanting to see them locking lips.

"Now, my favorite princess! My sister Hailey!" Trinity shouted. She then ran down the stairs. Zac stared up, waiting for Hailey. When she finally started walking down, he couldn't breathe. She was perfect. His heart was threatening to jump out of his chest. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever set his eyes on. And she was his and only his.

Hailey walked down the steps. Her heart was beating a thousand miles a minute. The way Zac was looking at her was making her want to go weak at the knees. She couldn't lose feeling, she was walking dow the stairs in five inch heels. She stepped onto the main floor.

"Wow Hails, you look like an actual girl." Luke said. Hailey narrowed her eyes at her brother. Why was he such a jerk sometimes?

"Luke, cut it out." Ben said. He then turned to look at Hailey. He gave her a wide grin. "You look great Hails."

"Thanks." She said. She gave him a hug.

"We need to take pictures." Mariah said. She handed her cell phone to Ben. Evan had his arm wrapped around her, pulling her close to his side.

"Yeah, before Nate takes off his suit." Bella said teasing. Nate rolled his eyes. Bella and Mariah proceeded to take pictures, making Ben their photographer. Evan was talking to Seth about who knows what while Nate stood by the door. Josh was staring at him with a brooding look. Those two were never going to get along.

"You look beautiful princess." Zac whispered the compliment in Hailey's ear. She took a sharp breath in at his sudden proximity. She hadn't even heard him approach her. He placed his hands on her hips, slowly tracing them upwards. As his fingers grazed her open skin, she gasped. Zac quickly spun her around, securing her at the hips. "This dress look amazing. You look sexy."

His voice maintained at a low octave. It was sending goosebumps down her arm. She looked up into his eyes. They were darkened. She bit her bottom lip. His stare was making her insides squirm. She's seen that look multiple times, but this one was more intense than before.

"Separate you two." Josh's voice demanded with authority.

"Come on. Pictures and then dinner!" Mariah reminded them. Hailey nodded, separating herself from Zac. Her nerves for tonight increased. Was Zac expecting it tonight? She shook that feeling away and smile for the camera.

-

Walking into the hotel, Hailey was amazed. They had decorated the ballroom elegantly with twinkle lights. The theme was Once Upon a Time. There were balloons everywhere. A castle near the DJ and a carriage near the entrance. The center pieces were fake trees, decorated with fake red apples. It had all the fairytales around the room.

"You're just missing the tiara." Zac joked. Hailey smacked his chest as they got deeper into the dance.

"Student council did good. Last year's theme was lame." Bella said. She was holding Nate's hand. She began to pull him towards the dance floor. He stopped her. "Come on Nate. Please."

"Izzy, we just got here. Can we just hangout for a sec?" Nate asked. Bella groaned.

"Come on. I'll dance with you in a bit. Let's go get food and some punch. One of the guys is spiking it." Nate said whispering the last part.

"Dude, who?" Evan asked. Nate chuckled. He then pulled Bella to the refreshments. Evan grabbed Mariah's hand and pulled her to the dance floor. He did always like to dance.

"And then there were two." Zac teased. Hailey giggled. It was starting to become a regular routine where their friends would leave them alone. She wouldn't protest against it. She didn't know how long she had until he'd be off. She didn't want to think about that.

"So, shall we dance or eat?" Hailey asked. She was looking around, trying to decide. She knew prom was a dance which meant that they should dance, but the food across the room looked equally as inviting.

"I want to eat." Zac said in a low voice. Hailey jumped as his breath fanned out on her shoulder. She could feel his heat radiating onto her.

"Let's go then." Hailey said, she began to walk but was stopped when Zac wrapped his hand around her wrist. "What's wrong?"

"Not that Hailey." His voice seemed to deepen even more. Hailey didn't know what to say. He had never been so open about that before.

"Hey Hails!" Hailey turned and saw Mariah. She was holding a clear cup with red liquid. Hailey had a feeling that wasn't just punch.

"Hey Mariah." Hailey said. She was glad Mariah had come and broken the tense atmosphere. Hailey didn't want to be alone with Zac. He was acting weird.

"Come dance!" Mariah said grabbing Hailey's hand. She nodded. They both started to walk off. "What was that back there?"

"I have no idea." Hailey said truthfully.

"He looks very possessive. Way more than usual." Mariah said. They had made it to the dance floor and started to move their bodies. A song by Drake was playing over the speakers.

"Hey! There you guys are." Bella shouted. The music was definitely louder in the pit. Nate was behind her. He was holding her hips as they swayed to the upbeat.

"Hey!" Mariah and Hailey shouted.

"Mariah, you left me!" Evan shouted. Mariah giggled and swayed. Evan rolled his eyes and stood behind her like Nate with Bella. Hailey then began to feel like a fifth wheel. The song suddenly ended as a pair of arms wrapped around Hailey's waist. She let out a screech before the familiar warmth settled around her.

"Baby, have I told you how gorgeous you look?" Zac whispered in Hailey's ear. Hailey bit her lip. His hands were now at her hips, holding her in place. She moved her body to the current song. She didn't want to turn around and see the dark irises in his eyes.

They continued to dance. Hailey was enjoying herself with her friends, being in the arms of the guy she loved. They were all having fun and not thinking about the future. Her back was still turned to Zac. A slow song began.

"Hailey, you have to turn around." Zac said in a teasing voice. She rolled her eyes but obliged. She placed her arms lightly around his neck as his were placed on her hips. They rocked slowly with the song. The lust in his eyes was long gone and replaced with love and happiness. "You're so beautiful."

"You're quite the catch too." She told him. Zac chuckled. She giggled.

"I know you think i'm hot." Zac said. He spun them around. Hailey laughed.

"Who said that?" Hailey played along. Zac smirked as he pulled her closer into his chest. She gasped at the sudden movement.

"Don't worry babe. I think you're hot too. Especially in this dress." Zac said. His eyes raked over her body, causing tingles to go up her arm. The butterflies that had been asleep began to flutter.

"Zac." She said softly. She bit her lip. She never knew what to do in situations like this. They had been occurring more and more lately.

"I love how innocent you are Hails." Zac said. One of his hands left her waist and was placed on her cheek. She leaned into it, closing her eyes. She was enjoying the warmth he provided. "I love that you have never done this or had a boyfriend before. I love that i'm your first."

"I love that you're my first too." She said softly. She opened her eyes and saw that the lust had returned.

"I fucking love you." Zac said, looking into her brown eyes. His hands were on the each side of her face. She was looking up at him with the same intensity he knew his had. Zac then crashed his lips on top of hers. He was kissing her with as much emotion he could muster. He loved this girl and he wanted to show her how much she meant to him. He deepened the kiss, biting her lip for entrance. She gasped, allowing him access.

Zac let one hand travel down to her hips, pulling him into her body. Her hands which had been on his face traveled down to his suit. She bunched up the sides and pulled him closer to him. She kissed him back with the same fire. She loved him, so much.

His hand that was on her waist traveled down and landed on her butt. She gasped which seemed to encourage Zac. She then felt him squeeze it, causing her to moan. She wanted, no needed more. She pulled away. Zac stared down at her with confusion.

"Let's get out of here." Hailey whispered. She was trying to regain her breath. That had been the best kiss of her life. She only wanted to continue it. She let go of his suit as Zac looked into her eyes. He was looking for any signs of doubt. He found none.

"I thought you'd never ask." Zac said pulling her away from the dance. He had other plans for them tonight and Hailey for once couldn't wait.

-

She had never been as nervous as she was now. She began to pace. She could feel her classmates eyes on her. She wanted to roll her eyes at them, but didn't. She needed to focus on calming down. It's not like she's the one giving the speech. She could only imagine how Zac felt.

Just the thought of him instantly calmed her heart rate. Ever since prom, the two had been inseparable. They knew that with graduation near, they'd have to say goodbye very soon. So, they made it their mission to fit in as many dates, hangouts, and sleepovers as they could. Hailey even managed to convince Josh to let Zac sleepover. That consisted of him allowing Trinity to sleepover at her friend's to allow Zac to stay the night with her.

The first few times, Josh kept coming into her bedroom. He seemed to not even sleep when Zac was there. After the fourth or fifth time, Ben suggested that Josh sleep downstairs. That seemed to stop her protective older brother. Although, Ben wasn't too happy about the situation either, he said he'd allow it as long as they had protection. Hailey was mortified and didn't let Zac come over for two weeks. Josh was overjoyed at that.

"Hailey! Stop pacing!" Bella demanded. Hailey stopped and gave her a sheepish grin. Since them and Mariah were a part of the honors classes, they were grouped closer together. Mariah was in the Honors Scholar group which was a few classrooms down and the first group of students to graduate.

Zac was the first of the entire class since he was Valedictorian. Hailey was immensely impressed. She never seemed to see him do any work, yet he was the top of the class. His testing skills must be excellent. Evan was also graduating amongst the first groups. He, too, was a Honors Scholar. Nate was the only one that wasn't graduating near the front. He took honors classes, but did not have the GPA needed to graduate amongst them. Plus, his last name was Price, so he was towards the end.

"I'm so nervous." She told Bella. Josh had dropped her off earlier. She was wearing a yellow body con dress underneath her white gown. She had straightened her hair and did minimalistic makeup. She didn't want to try to do anything extravagant in the hopes of messing up. She just did what she knew.

What she did know was that she didn't trust herself in the brown wedges. She had walked in heels before, but never on grass. They were graduating on their varsity football field. That was what made her most unsure. She didn't want to trip and have everyone laugh at her.

"Hails, everything is going to be fine. We're fucking high school graduates." Bella smirked. Hailey giggled, turning towards their supervising teacher. It was one of the freshman math teachers. She was sitting at the teacher's desk with her phone. She was also dressed in a black gown. All the teachers were wearing them.

"I just don't want to fall in front of everyone. That's my worst fear." Hailey told Bella. She sighed.

"If you fall, i'll fall too. You receive your diploma before me." Bella said. She flipped her brown locks over her shoulder. Hailey rolled her eyes in a playful manner. She had no doubt that Bella would embarrass herself more for her sake. They were best friends.

Just that thought made Hailey sad. Bella and Evan would be moving to New Jersey at the beginning of August. They were going to be renting and sharing an apartment. Evan wanted to be in a dorm, but Bella insisted that she couldn't do communal. Evan only agreed when Bella insisted that he'd get herpes in the dorms.

"Girls, it's time." The teacher said. She was now standing and her phone was put away. Hailey began to search her gown, wondering if it had pockets. There were none. She would have to place her phone in her boobs. She should have listened to the speaker at the graduation practice. She suggested leaving all personal belongings with parents or relatives. Now, she'd have to carry it.

"It's happening." Bella said grabbing Hailey's hand. They lined up in alphabetical order, leaving the classroom. Hailey finally saw Mariah. Her hair was in curls and she was grinning. Bella was right. Hailey should relax and enjoy this moment. In just a few hours, they wouldn't be in high school anymore. The rest of the groups began to combine. Even the guys stood beside them. Hailey got a glance of Zac before he disappeared out the doors. He was the leader since he was the top of the class.

As Zac led his entire class down from the classrooms to the football field, he felt like he was about to see his lunch. He had never been as nervous as he was now. Not even when he played in the championship had made him nervous, nor when he ask Hailey to be his girlfriend. He had no clue why he was feeling this way. He was only going to say a three minute speech to his classmates and their families and friends. It wouldn't be that bad.

"Oh god." He mumbled. He placed his hand on his mouth, hoping to prevent his upchuck.

"Hey man, are you okay?" He turned and saw his salutatorian. He was a shy guy that he had only talked to a handful of times. Zac regrets not getting to know him. He was too involved in the high school drama of hating the nerds and bullying them. If he could go back in time, he'd stop himself from his friends bullying him and everyone else.

"Slightly nervous." Zac said once his food didn't threaten to reappear. He continued leading his class, coming nearer and nearer to the football field. He was able to see the stands filled to the brim with people even lingering nearby. There were at least a thousand people in the stands. His class was over eight hundred students. It only made sense.

"Hey Zac." The salutatorian, Randy, called. Zac turned, but continued walking. He couldn't hold up everyone. "I know that I should be mad you are the valedictorian, but if I was beat by anyone, i'm glad it was you."

"Why?" Zac asked. He rounded the corner and walked through the entrance. The bright lights began to shine down on them. He walked down the sides of the track to where they're starting point was. They would walk down to their seats once the music began.

"Because you were the only one on the football team and that hung out with Sasha that didn't bully me. Yes, all your friends did, especially Nate, and you never did anything. But, you were always nice to me. I appreciate that." Randy said. Zac gave him a small smile. He did wish he could have prevented that from happening, but he knew he couldn't change the past. He could only change the future.

The music and speakers then began. Zac walked down the grass towards his seat. He felt nostalgic as he walked down the field he once played on. It was the last time he'd ever set foot on it. Next, he'd be on the Spartan field. He couldn't wait. He reached his seat and stood in front of it. The graduates had to remain standing until the last one met their seat.

He turned slightly and was able to see Hailey. He hadn't seen her since their morning practice. That was brutal. They were forced to be on this field at five in the morning. The practice took two hours and it mostly consisted of walking. They practiced how they'd arrive on the field and how they'd get to their seats. They also practiced the pace as to which they'd received their diplomas.

Hailey had been a nervous wreck earlier. He could only imagine how she felt now. He wished he could hold her hand and assure her that everything was going to be alright. He wasn't sure what terrified her more. If walking in front of thousands of people or having to say goodbye to high school. At least one would be gone at the end of the night.

He smiled as he saw her stand in front of her assigned seat. Bella was a chair over and was speaking to her. Hailey only nodded, biting her bottom lip. Zac was able to see her uneasiness. It almost made him forget how frightened he was for his speech.

"You may all be seated." Their principal said. Zac blinked a few times, registering her words. He then sat down. He stared straight ahead, ignoring everyone's words. They were unimportant now and they'd be after the ceremony ends. He just needed to hear for his name so he'd give his speech and again to receive his diploma.

"Now, for our next speaker. He is our starting quarterback, honors scholar and Valedictorian, Zachary Logan." The principal introduced him. Zac stood up, making sure his cap did not fall. He was careful to not trip over his light blue gown and stepped onto the stage. He shook his principal's hand before smiling at the camera. He walked over to the podium and slid out his speech. He unraveled it and took a deep breath. It was now or never.

"Hello everyone. I am Zachary Logan, but to my friends, i'm Zac. I want to take the time to thank everyone in the crowd of graduates as well as those in the stands for being here. Today is a very special moment in history. We are graduating high school! As we started to come near the end of the school year, I couldn't help but think of all the wonderful things that it has provided. For one, we all met friends that will last us a lifetime. I met my best friends when I was in elementary school. They have been with me throughout this entire journey and I only hope that everyone had that opportunity as well. I don't think I would have been able to survive without them.

"We also learned. That was the point of school, right." Zac said. He chuckled as the crowd laughed. "We learned things that we would need in the future. Not only how to find the area of a circle, but how to write essays and resumés, and how to speak a different language or make a meal. These are things that will help better our career, even if they did seem pointless at the time. I know i'll make a mean lasagna now."

The crowd laughed again. His nerves started dissipate. As he looked down at his speech, they began again. He would be talking about a future and one without Hailey by his side. He looked out at the crowd and instantly spotted her. She was in the fourth row with Bella beside her. She was already looking at him with an encouraging smile. God, he was going to miss her so damn much.

"As many as you know, I had been given such an amazing opportunity to continue playing football at the school I always dreamed of. I'll be able to major in biology while being where I belong at Michigan State University. I worked hard for what I earned and I can only thank our teachers and families for the support they have given us. They were the ones to push us to get what we want and now finally have.

"Today, is the last day we will all ever be together. It's sad and depressing, but it's also exciting and nerve wracking. We are now officially out in the world. Some may go off to college to further their education while others will go onto find jobs. No matter what you all decide to do, just know that you already achieved this tremendous milestone. You can achieve whatever else you want in life. You are your own person and can do whatever you like. Go out there and be the best person you can be. There are no limits.

"As we reach the end of my speech," Zac said. He looked back at Hailey. "I just want to thank high school for giving me the best gift in life. When I look back, I know i'll remember bumping into the love of my life and how I became the luckiest guy alive. So, thank you Freedom High School for the best four years of our lives. We did it guys. We finally graduated. Thank you."

The applause and cheers began. He smiled before ducking down. His heart rate was finally back to normal. He stepped down from the podium and off the stage. He walked back over to his seat and sat. He turned and saw Hailey. She was wiping away what looked like tears. She looked over and smiled.

"I love you." She mouthed. Zac grinned.

"I love you." He mouthed back. She bit her lip to stop herself from grinning. He chuckled.

"Now, we will begin to commencement of the diplomas." Their principal said. Zac looked forward. He was the first one. He got up and began to walk back to the stage. He should have just stayed up there. "To our Valedictorian, Zachary Logan."

Zac walked across the stage and received his diploma. He shook his principal's hand and smiled for the camera. There was loud screams and clapping. He laughed. He only hoped Hailey was one of those screams. She was definitely proud of him. He then walked off as they called the salutatorian Randy. He grasped the little book in his hand. It was crazy that he went to school for thirteen years just to receive this paper with his name on it. But, at least he meet the best people in his life. That, he would never change.

"Graduating with Honors, Sarah Elliot." Their principal called. Hailey watched as the girl in front of her was called. She walked up the stairs and then received her diploma. Her and Bella were on the field, in a line with other people behind them. Hailey managed to not trip on the unsteady grass but that didn't stop her from becoming even more nervous. What if she tripped walking up the stairs or when receiving her diploma!

"Relax Hailey. Just walk up to the principal as if she were Zac. Relax. Everything is going to be okay." Bella told her. Hailey took deep breaths. She was right. She learned how to walk when she was one. She had been doing it for seventeen years. It wasn't that hard. "Besides, Mariah is wearing freaking stilettos and managed not to sink in the grass."

"Graduating with Honors, Hailey Foster." Hailey widened her eyes. She was called. It was her turn. She grasped the railing as she walked up the ramp. She took deep breaths as she reached the top. She then only focused on receiving that paper. She put on a wide grin nearing her principal. "Congratulations Hailey."

"Thank you." Hailey said as the diploma was placed in her hand. She saw the flash go off so she turned towards the photographer. She smiled and another flash was seen. She giggled as she heard Zac scream that that was the love of his life. She also heard Mariah and Bella scream that that was their girl. She chuckled, exiting the stage. She felt powerful as she walked down the ramp and back onto the football field. She had made it without embarrassing herself. She continued to walk back to her seat. She passed near Zac.

"Congrats princess. You did it." He said. Hailey bit her lip, hopefully stopping the crimson in her cheeks. She continued walking to her seat, hearing Bella's name be called.

"Graduating with Honors, Isabella Green." Hailey screamed as Bella walked across the stage with a bright smile. She then did a little wave as she walked off. Hailey giggled. Her friends were always so extra.

After around five minutes, Evan was then called. They clapped and cheered for him. He also waved like his twin. Those two were always going to be inseparable. After about another fifteen minutes, Nate was called. Hailey giggled as they said his full name. She also clapped and yelled for him. Even if he still was a jerk half the time, he was still one of her best friends.

The handout of the diplomas continued for the rest of the class. Hailey would clap for the few people she knew. She even clapped for Jordan. When Sasha went up, she stayed still. She still didn't trust her, but at least with Zac's threat, she had left them alone. Now, she would never have to deal with her again.

"You many now turn the tassel to the other side." Their principal said. Hailey turned it, feeling proud. She had survived high school. Her parents would be so happy. She only wished that she could be sharing this day with them. They never got to see any of her siblings graduate. She knew that was what her parents wanted most. "You are all now alumni of Freedom High School. Congratulations class of 2019. You did it!"

The hats were then thrown in the air. Hailey threw hers nearby while Bella full on chucked it. They giggled, wiping away the tears. It was a rather bittersweet moment for them. They were now officially done with high school and there was no going back. Now, they had to focus on the future and build the life they want.

"We fucking did it Hailey!" Bella said throwing her into a hug. Hailey hugged her tight. "I'm going to miss you so freaking much."

"I'm going to miss you too Bella." Hailey told her. They hugged tight before separating.

"I want in on this girl hug." Mariah said. She had walked over from her seat. They all began to hug again. They laughed, still wiping away tears. Hailey was glad she chose the waterproof mascara today.

"Woah. Are we doing a group hug? Because, I want in." Evan said. He opened his arms wide and soon the girls were in his arms.

"Let go over my girl Green." Hailey heard Zac say. She saw Evan roll his eyes, ending the hug. Hailey then turned to see Zac. She felt her heart want to fall out of her chest. The look he was giving her was full of so much power and intensity. She could see the amount of love he had for her and it made her insides turn to jelly. "Hailey."

"Hi Zac." She said timidly. She walked over to her boyfriend. He grabbed her hips and pulled her into his chest. He wrapped his arms around her torso, hugging her tight. She then reciprocated the hug with just as much force. They knew what this graduation meant.

"We did it princess." He whispered in her ear. She shivered as his breath fanned her neck. He then pulled away, only far enough to look at her. Her heart skipped a beat again.

"I like your speech." She said giggling. Zac chuckled. He had worked on it for days, never finding the correct words. He wanted it to be perfect and showcase just how much high school will always be a part of his story.

"Hailey I am so glad I met you at that grocery store." Zac said. Hailey giggled. He had mentioned their bumping into each other.

"You changed my life for the better. Senior year was one heck of a ride." Hailey said. Zac grinned. He placed one of his hands on her cheek. She leaned into it, smiling at him. She had so much love for this boy.

"I want to marry you Hailey Foster." Zac said staring into her eyes. Her heart was now beating a hundred miles per second, hearing those words. Was he serious? Right now? They just graduated! "I know that we're still young and have our whole life ahead of us, but I promise you that I will marry you Hailey Foster."

"Zac, stop." She said looking away. His hand fell from her face. She felt a rush of emotions invade her heart. Thoughts of becoming Mrs. Logan flooded her brain. If her cheeks weren't red from his previous words, they were now.

"Hailey, i'm serious." Zac said. He placed his hand on her cheek, making her gaze up at him again.

"Zac." She said softly. He quickly cut her off.

"Hailey Foster, I promise that in four years, I will be asking you to marry me. I promise Hails. You are the one for me and I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with you." Zac said before placing a tender kiss on her lips. Hailey fell into the kiss, thinking about how lucky she got bumping into Zac and falling in love with him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.1K 366 21
You’re just living you’re normal daily life school home and shit one day from your extra course on your way to home you go in a bus take a seat take...
2.4M 81.5K 53
(Complete) After a terrible encounter at a party, one year later, Hailey Fonte is ready to return to her hometown. With everyone against her because...
48.3K 3.3K 26
"Sometimes you have to learn to love yourself before you can love someone else." Ellie Sparks stands out in a crowd... in all the wrong ways. From bi...
1.4K 27 27
Hailey Martin has never been one to stick out in a crowd. She's always been perfectly happy to hang out in a corner, listening to her favourite playl...