The Lucky Bump

By liv814

{Highest Ranking: #160 in Teen Fiction & #1 in Love at First Sight} Zac Logan thought he had everything. His... More

Prologue | Rock With You
Characters | Tattoo
Chapter 1 | Start of Something New
Chapter 2 | Party in the USA
Chapter 3 | Summer Shade
Chapter 4 | Friends
Chapter 5 | She Looks So Perfect
Chapter 6 | Crush
Chapter 7 | A Million Dreams
Chapter 8 | Same Girl
Chapter 9 | M. I. A.
Chapter 10 | Treat You Better
Chapter 11 | My Dilemma
Chapter 12 | Rewrite the Stars
Chapter 13 | 10,000 Hours
Chapter 14 | You Belong with Me
Chapter 15 | Last First Kiss
Chapter 16 | Better With You
Chapter 18 | Nobody But You
Chapter 19 | Walk with Me
Chapter 20 | Marry You
Epilogue | Perfect
Playlist | Yeah!
Other Stories & A/N
Life with Colton

Chapter 17 | He Could Be the One

10.5K 294 39
By liv814

Hailey sighed with content. Life only seemed to get better and better. The one thing that would make it all perfect would be getting into a university with a full ride. That was her ultimate goal. That way Josh didn't have to worry about her expenses nor how to pay for her education. She'd get to kill two birds with one stone.

Hailey rolled over on her bed and saw Ben watching her from the door. She let out a scream. How long had he been there? It couldn't have been that long? He was still wearing his baseball gear. He must of had an early practice. It was around at eleven in the morning.

"About time you notice me. I thought you were never going to leave your little fantasy." Ben said walking in. He went towards her desk and sat down on the swivel chair. Hailey didn't bother to sit up right. It was her room and she was in her bed.

"I wasn't daydreaming." She defended. Usually, she would be, but she was just thinking about life and everything good about it.

"Either way, what were you thinking about?" Ben asked as he twisted around in the chair. Sometimes Hailey didn't understand how this was her older brother. He acted younger than Trinity at times.

"Life." She stated vaguely. She heard Ben scoff.

"Life with Zac." He teased. Her cheeks subconsciously tinted pink at the mention of the boy. She couldn't stop thinking about him. He had taken her to Disneyland! Who takes someone to Disneyland as their first date? Either way, she was in awe at how sweet and caring that boy was. He was so selfless and understanding. She was crazy about him and she sensed he was crazy about her.

"Maybe, I guess. Life with Zac. I kind of like the sound of that." She said, not really thinking about her brother in the room. She suddenly began to imagine what life with Zac would be like if they did last. She smiled, thinking of what the future would hold for them. She knew that life would be great as long as she had him by her side.

"So you want a future with him. You must really like him Hails." Ben said. Hailey nodded, sitting up. Her cheeks were already pink from the words that were about to leave her mouth.

"I think he could be the one." She said, biting her bottom lip. Ben gasped. "Is that crazy?"

"No Hails." He said with a shake of his head. "If you are to be with anyone, i'm glad it's Zac."

"Thanks Ben." She replied. She then let out a giggle. She's thinking about being with Zac and she wasn't even officially with Zac. How ironic.

"What's with the giggle?" Ben asked. She shook her head.

"Nothing. Now, tell me what you want for Christmas." She said changing the subject. If she wanted to further along her list of things to do for the holiday season, she would have to stop thinking about the dreamy boy and focus on her wonderful family.

-

Snow grazed the ground as the holiday cheer filled their hearts. Chimneys were lit as snowman filled the streets. It was a beautiful sight to see. Just kidding. They lived in California, where it was still sunny and warm. Snow did not exist nor were there hot chocolates brewing. Plus, Zac wasn't feeling so cheery.

It had been a week since he had spoken to his father. He had hung out with Nate and Evan. They'd play video games and go out drinking. He was yet to see Hailey. He wanted to be with her, but he also wanted to live his dream. Was his father right? Was love not worth it? His heart began to beat fast as he thought about love. He knew he was falling for Hailey, to the point where he could be in love with her. He still didn't know what it really felt like. For all he knew, he could just be infatuated with her.

He groaned. Why did this have to be so complicated? Why did his dad have to come and butt into his life? He was going to ask Hailey to be his, now he didn't know. Should he just let her down now before they became attached? Who was he kidding? He was already attached to her.

He hadn't seen her since school ended. It was physically hurting him to not be with her. He wanted to see her smile. Her eyes twinkled when she laughed. God, that laugh made him weak. He loved hearing it. He wanted to hold her in his arms. He wanted to kiss her. He loved kissing her. He loved making her blush. God, he loved everything about her.

Zac quickly stood up. No, no, no. Is he? Could he? Was this real? Zac began to pace his room. Was it too late? Did he already? He groaned. The moment he feels like maybe he could still be friends with her, even though he'd be leaving at the end of school, this comes up.

Did he want to get rid of this chance? Did he not want to know what it felt like to love? Would giving it up be worth it, for the chance to play football? Was his dad right? Should he just stay in California and go to Stanford? He could play football and study business. Plus, he would be near Hailey.

Hailey.

He needed to see her. He needed to include her in this choice. She needed to know what he felt. He needed her.

He quickly slid on his shoes. He ran out of his room and down the stairs. He pulled on his leather jacket and out of the house. Remote starting his car, he got in and pulled out of the driveway. He needed to tell her how he felt before he made this choice.

-

Putting up the last of the decorations, Hailey felt content. Christmas was always her favorite holiday. Even more that she didn't have her parents to enjoy the season with. She used to love baking with her mom and helping her dad put up the lights. She missed them even more during this month, but was grateful to be spending it with her siblings. As long as she had her family, she'd enjoy the cheer.

"Hails, can you check on the cookies?" Josh called. He was upstairs, doing God knows what. He had disappeared once the cookies were in the oven.

"Sure!" She called out. She walked over to the kitchen and opened the oven door. The kitchen filled with the aroma of the sugar cookies. It was tradition for them to bake some so Trinity could decorate them for Santa. She put on oven mitts, sliding out the delicious smelling treats. She placed them on the counter top, letting them cool. They'd decorate them later tonight. They'd watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas while doing it.

She skipped out of the kitchen, going back into the living room. She had to finish wrapping the remaining presents. They'd be opening them in the morning. She was reaching for a roll of wrapping paper when the doorbell rang. She made a sound of confusion, opening the door.

"Zac? Hey." She said. She hadn't seen the boy in a week. She assumed it had to be with something about his parents. That's at least what Nate said when she asked. Nate also mentioned that his father was in town, so Hailey left Zac alone. She knew he didn't get along with him.

"Hails, can we talk?" Zac asked. Hailey nodded, letting him into her home. They sat down on the couch. Hailey watched him with curiosity. He looked to be struggling with something.

"Zac, what's wrong?" She asked. She hated seeing him like this. She hated it even more since she discovered her feelings for him. She wanted the bright and smiling Zac.

"My dad, he's home." Zac began. He didn't know how to explain everything to Hailey. He wanted her opinion on him leaving without telling her he loved her. He was sure that if she said those words back, he wouldn't leave.

"I'm sorry Zac." She said softly. She scooted closer to him. She just wanted to be near him. To let him know she was hear for him.

"He told me that he wants me to pursue business to take over the family business. He wants me to go to Harvard." He said. Hailey gasped. That was one of the most prestigious schools in the country! She knew Zac had the ability of getting into such an elite school.

"That's amazing." Hailey said. She was proud of Zac. He had the ability to follow his dream and go to the best school possible. Zac shook his head, making her frown.

"I don't want to go there. I want to go to Michigan State. I'm not sure what I want to major in, but since I was a young boy, I wanted to become a Spartan. It's far enough to be away from my parents and i'd still be playing the sport I love." Zac told her. Hailey nodded, in understanding. She knew how much he disliked the relationship he had with his parents. He also had told her that his mom was opening up and trying to be a better mother. She was happy for him.

"So, what's the problem? If you have the chance of going to your dream school, you should go for it." Hailey said. She wished she had the chance, but she didn't. She didn't want to think about life as if's. She had to focus on what she did have and make do. Her brother had worked so hard for them that she couldn't think like that. She'd pursue her dream one way or another. She wouldn't give it up, even if it meant postponing it for some time.

"Hails, the problem is that I don't know if I want to go there anymore." He said. He wanted her to tell him to stay and be near her. He knew that Hailey didn't have the same options as him. She might even have to give up nursing school until she had the money. He wished he could help her in that department. But, Hailey would accept it. She'd want to work for it on her own and not be a charity case. It was one of the things he loved about her.

"Why wouldn't you want to go there?" She asked. Zac closed his eyes, exhaling rather loudly. She was confused.

"I don't know if I can move across the state, knowing you're still here in California, not living your own dream." Zac said. Hailey gasped. She could see the sincerity in his eyes. It made her sick to think that Zac would give up this awesome opportunity, just to stay near her. She wouldn't let him do that.

"Zac, no. I can't let you do that. The only way you should ever give up that dream is if that isn't your dream anymore. You need to chose what's best for you. Do not put me in that plan. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if you give it up for me. You can't." She said to him. Her heart was cracking. She didn't want him to leave but she wouldn't be able to sleep, knowing she took his dream away from him. She couldn't let that happen.

"Alright. I'll think about all my options for school, without making my decision of being near you. I'll chose the best one for me and only me." Zac said. He felt his heart rate increase. This girl was so selfless, it made him fall even more in love with her. He just wanted to come out and tell her. Maybe then she'd ask him to stay.

"Good, now go home Zac. I still need to wrap your present." She giggled. She was glad that they had this conversation. It meant that Zac really cared for her, enough to include her in his future. She wanted to have one with him, but not if it meant he'd give everything up.

She had to put her feelings aside and think of what is best for him. He needed to make this decision on his own. If he really is the one, they'd find their way back to each other. For now, she just needed to enjoy whatever time she has left with him.

"Can I stay?" Zac asked. Hailey's eyes widened. She bit her bottom lip. She didn't know if he could. It had always been her and her siblings.

"He can." Hailey and Zac moved their heads towards Josh, who was walking down the stairs. "You are welcome to stay."

"Is that okay?" Zac asked Hailey. Hailey looked at Josh, who was nodding.

"I'd love that." She said with a grin. Zac matched it with his own. If she thought she was happy before, now she was on cloud nine.

"So, what do you guys do on Christmas Eve?" Zac asked. He was looking around the room. They had boxes of decorations in the corner with a tree fully lit. The only thing that seemed to be missing with the presents under the tree.

"We decorate cookies for Santa and watch movies. Trinity still believes in him, so we go along with the charade. She should be back with the boys soon." Josh said. Josh sat down on the sofa, flipping the channel on the tv. Hailey had a Hallmark movie playing as she finished putting the ornaments on the tree.

"Where are they?" Zac asked.

"Ben took her and Seth to take pictures with Santa at the mall. Seth wasn't too happy, but went anyway since Trin asked him too." Hailey replied.

"Luke should be back any minute too. He was off with the girlfriend." Josh said. He was hardly paying attention to them and more to the characters on the screen.

"So him and Tasha are official?" Zac asked. Hailey nodded. She was jealous that he was in a relationship and she wasn't. She wasn't really sure what her and Zac were, but it had to be something if he was thinking of a future with her.

"When are you and her going to be official?" Josh asked. Hailey's eyes widened so much, the eyeballs almost fell out of her sockets. Zac only stared back at him stunned. "So?"

"Soon." Zac said with a smirk. He had something special planned for her. He wanted to have this conversation first before deciding what was next for them. Zac looked at Hailey. Her cheeks were bright red. He loved it. "So, what movie are we going to watch?"

The front door opened, revealing the rest of the Foster clan. Trinity bounced in, going over to Josh. Seth was next, wearing a smile. Ben chuckled as he closed the door. He smiled victoriously as he locked the door. Seconds later, Luke walked in with a glare.

"Ben, really?" Luke asked, shutting the door behind him.

"I told you last one in is a rotten egg." Ben said laughing. Luke only glared. "Oh, hey Zac."

"Zac!" Trinity shouted. She let go of Josh and ran to Zac. She engulfed him in a hug which he returned. Hailey smiled, seeing how Zac fit in perfectly with her family. It would definitely be hard to say goodbye to him, but she wouldn't think of that now. She had to think about the present.

"Hey, is it alright if I join in your guys' tradition?" Zac asked. He only would stay if they were okay with him.

"Anything for Hailey's boyfriend." Ben said sitting in between them.

"They still aren't together." Luke shouted. Hailey saw him mingling in the kitchen. She was trying to get rid of the blush that was permanently etched onto her face whenever Zac was around.

"Zac said soon!" Josh shouted back. Hailey wanted to hide her face in a pillow but Ben was holding them all in his chest. It was as if he knew what she wanted to do.

"I'm fine with him staying." Seth said. He was on the floor with a book in his hand.

"I love Zac. You can help me decorate cookies for Santa!" Trinity said. She was bouncing with excitement.

"Alright, looks like Hailey's soon to be boyfriend is staying. Now, can we decorate?" Luke asked. He came in, talking with a mouth full. Hailey frowned.

"Stop eating the cookies!" She shouted. He put his hands up in defense.

"I only ate the ugly ones." He said. Hailey narrowed her eyes at him.

"Calm down. Now come on. We have much to do." Josh said standing up. They all followed him into the kitchen. They quickly took out everything needed and got to work.

Hailey smiled as she saw Zac help Trinity. She was in awe at how well his fit in. She loved seeing him get along. She giggled when Trinity placed frosting on his nose. Zac quickly returned the favor. Hailey knew this season was going to be different, but she never imagined she'd be sharing it with him. She couldn't wait to see what else the future had in store.

-

"Wake up! It's Christmas!" Trinity shouted. Hailey rolled over. She let out a groan, seeing it was only eight in the morning.

"Can you not wake up before ten?" Hailey asked with a mumble. Trinity scoffed.

"It's Christmas!" She shouted. Hailey groaned, digging deeper into her covers. "Hailey! Zac is here!"

Hailey sprung out of her bed and into the bathroom. She quickly brushed her teeth and jumped into the shower. She managed to clean her body in record time, shuffling out of the bathroom. She quickly found an outfit to wear and pulled it on. She was wearing ripped jeans with black knee high boots and a red Christmas sweater. Her hair was in a high ponytail and she didn't bother to do makeup.

"That was quick. Too bad he isn't here." Trinity said walking back into the room. Hailey frowned. Her sister tricked her to get what she wanted. "Now come!"

Trinity disappeared again. Hailey sighed, grabbing her phone. She walked downstairs to hear her brothers already up. They were sitting around the tree, bouncing with excitement.

"Good morning sleeping beauty. Took you long enough." Ben said. He was still in his pajama bottoms and an old tee. He had a mug of probably coffee in his hand.

"Trinity lied to me." Hailey stated. She sat down in a free spot on the couch. Trinity shook her head.

"No I didn't." She defended. Hailey frowned.

"You told me Zac was here." Hailey pouted. Josh laughed.

"Actually," Ben began to speak. There was suddenly a loud commotion in the kitchen. They all turned and saw white smoke. "Really? You better not be burning them!"

"Do not burn my kitchen Logan!" Josh scolded. Hailey's eyes widened. She quickly got up and saw Zac in the kitchen, covered in flour. She burst out laughing.

"Oh shut it." Zac grumbled. He had been making pancakes for them when he reached for the flour. He didn't know it wasn't sealed and poof, the flour went flying as it landed on the counter top.

"What are you doing here?" Hailey asked, waving the white clouds away. She wanted to giggle.

"Josh invited me to open presents." Zac said. He began to clean up the mess he created. He'd have to buy them a new bag of flour.

"But, why is there flour everywhere?" Hailey asked.

"I thought i'd say thank you for allowing me to stay last night by making pancakes. I reached for the flour and it fell." Zac said. He grabbed the now almost empty bag and placed it bag onto the shelf. He made sure to close the bag.

"Do we even have flour for them now?" Hailey said through giggles. She went towards the fridge and took out eggs and bacon. Pancakes would have to wait for another day. "Let's just make bacon."

"I'm sorry for making a mess." Zac chuckled. He wiped the last bit of flour off the floor and tossed the paper towel into the trash.

"It's fine. You look cute with flour in your hair." Hailey mumbled. She widened her eyes, realizing what she had said. She felt her cheeks flame in embarrassment.

"I like this side of you." Zac said in a low voice. He made his way over to her. His heart raced as he looked at the girl he loved. He wanted to tell her and badly. He wanted to show her how much she meant to him. He wrapped his arms around her back, pulling her into his body. She gazed up at him with pink cheeks. He loved that blush of hers.

"Separate." Zac turned and saw Josh with a frown as he crossed his arms over his chest. Zac let go of Hailey and leaned against the counter. "I love that you are all lovey dovey and crap, but I do not want to see it nor do I want to be an uncle."

"I want to be an uncle." Ben said walking in. He went over to the coffee machine and poured himself yet another cup. Hailey couldn't moved. Had she really just heard Ben say for her to get pregnant? She couldn't be pregnant right now. She wasn't even Zac's girlfriend.

"She's only eighteen Benjamin." Josh's voice was full of authority. Moments like that scared Zac. He was still impressed at how selfless Josh has been. He was given custody of five kids when he was still a kid. He took responsibility and cared for them. He gave up his life to be there for them and love them. Josh was his overall role model. He strived to be like him. He rather not be a father, like Ben hopes, but he wants to take care of those he loves.

"So, she'll have a bunch of energy to be a mom." Ben said in an obvious tone. Hailey couldn't find herself to speak. Why were they speaking like she was already a mom, choosing to keep the fetus.

"She can't take care of a child. She is not going to be pregnant." Josh said in a menacing voice. Hailey nodded. Josh was right. She didn't know how to care for a baby. She barely knows how to care for herself.

"Can I have a say in this?" Zac butted in. Hailey whipped her head to him. What is he about to do?

"No!" Ben and Josh shouted in unison. Hailey finally found her words.

"I am not going to be pregnant any time soon. So, can we please stop talking about this?" Hailey asked. She was uncomfortable in her own home. That was a first. Usually it was just embarrassing teasing, but now she just can't stand to be here.

"Good." Josh said with a frown. Ben only rolled his eyes as Zac scoffed. He wanted to explain that as much as he would love to have a kid with Hailey, he would wait years for that. They were both too young to be parents, especially when he didn't have parents that cared for him.

"Alright, now that we have gone through a very awkward morning. How about we open presents?" Luke asked, breaking the awkward atmosphere. When did he walk in? Everyone in the room nodded, agreeing that conversation should end. They walked out of the kitchen and back into the living room. Seth and Trinity were going through the pile of presents.

"What are you two doing?" Josh asked. Seth and Trinity froze, slowly turning around.

"Trin, said that I got a big box." Seth said sheepishly. Ben chuckled.

"If you got a big sized present, it would not be under the tree. You would snoop for it." Ben answered. He plopped himself onto the couch. Everyone else followed suit and sat down. Zac sat beside her, creating an unmistakable warmth within her. "Alright. Since you two seem to be impatient, open your presents first."

"Yay!" Trinity said. She began to search under the tree. Hailey wiggled into Zac's side. She sighed with content as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "Oh my god!"

"What did you get?" Seth asked. Everyone turned and saw Trinity pulling out a bunch of girly things from a box. "Okay, seriously. What did you get?"

"I got her a few dresses, some dolls, and some kids makeup." Ben said. Hailey was impressed with her older brother, but he had been spending more time with her. She kept giving up her babysitting time. Hailey needs to start hanging out with her little sister again.

"Thanks Benny! I cannot wait to try these out." Trinity said opening the makeup packages.

"Alright, Seth, you can open your giant present." Josh said. He had gotten up and brought out a big box. It was almost bigger than Trinity.

"Okay, I am real excited. What did you get him?" Luke asked. Seth began to shred the wrapping paper. He gasped as he unveiled the present. "What the fuck is this?"

"Luke." Josh said in a low voice. Luke rolled his eyes.

"So, what is it?" Trinity asked. Hailey examined the box. She widened her eyes. She knew how much Seth had been wanting one. He had been obsessed with astronomy lately.

"It's a telescope. Josh, thank you! This is amazing." Seth said with awe and appreciation in his voice. Hailey smiled. Her brothers deserved the world and more. Josh deserved everything. He had been so hardworking and understanding. He put his own life on hold to take care of them. She wished she could show Josh how much that meant for her, for all of them.

"No problem Seth. Just take great care of it." Josh said smiling.

"Alright Lucas." Hailey said in a teasing tone. Luke rolled his eyes. "Go find yours."

"Did you guys do secret Santa?" Zac asked. He had been wondering how they decided who opened what present.

"Kind of. We all know who was giving who a present." Ben answered. Zac nodded. That made more sense. He watched as Luke picked up a rectangular box. He unwrapped it, revealing a Vans shoe box.

"These are the ones I was looking at the other day. Thanks Hailey!" Luke said taking out a pair of black checkered print, slip on Vans.

"Welcome Lukey!" Hailey said. She loved seeing her brothers happy. One of the many reasons she loved Christmas.

"Alright. Trinity, give Hailey her present." Seth said. Trinity looked up from her makeup products. She had already plastered most of it onto her face. Hailey covered her mouth to prevent herself from laughing. She was sure Trinity would not appreciate that.

"Here you go Hailey." Trinity said. She passed her a small box with glitter paper. Of course this would be from Trinity. She pulled the paper off and saw a stethoscope. She gasped. She was extremely amazed.

"Trin, thank you." Hailey said. It just got her one step closer to her dream.

"Hails, those were mom's." Ben said softly. Hailey turned to see Josh. He was nodding. He had a sad smile on his face. She felt her eyes brim with tears.

She wondered if her mom would be proud of her. Would she have loved the fact that Hailey wanted to be just like her? Would she encourage her to become a nurse? Hailey wanted nothing more than to be able to cherish this moment with her mom, her parents. But, she knew she'd have to rely on the memories. Being with her siblings, and Zac, would be enough.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." Hailey said wiping away her tears. She closed her eyes and pictured her mom. She smiled, imaging that she was grinning back at her with a proud smile.

"Mom would be so proud Hails." Josh said softly. She closed her eyes tight and nodded.

"I hope so." She said softly. She placed them back into the box, setting it on the side table. She'd cherish that as her most prized possession. "Alright, so who is next?"

"I believe Seth needs to go." Zac said. Hailey softly gasped. She had forgotten that he was there. She quickly wiped away her remaining tears, glad she hadn't worn makeup. The mascara would definitely caused raccoon eyes.

"Here's yours from me." Seth said to Ben. He passed a medium sized box with baseball wrapping paper. Zac chuckled. "I hope you like it. If not, we can exchange it."

"Seth, this is amazing! I am keeping." Ben said. He had unwrapped a box containing a first basemen's glove. It was brown with white detailing. "I didn't think you were listening when I mentioned Coach putting me at first."

"How could I not be?" Seth said with an eyeroll. "You kept complaining about how you are meant to be at shortstop. Apparently all the "babes" loves shortstops."

"Glad to see your education is paying off." Josh teased. Ben rolled his eyes, slipping on the mitt. He pounded his fist into it. "Alright. I guess out gifting is over. Everyone else can open whatever."

"Josh, you still need yours." Luke said. He was staring at his brother with a annoyed expression.

"I'm guessing that by your ugly face, you are giving me a gift." Josh stated. Luke narrowed his eyes. Josh chuckled, sitting back. Hailey readjusted herself as Zac's arm brought her closer to his chest. She smiled. This felt like home.

"Lastly, to the best older brother and mentor anyone could ever ask for." Luke said in a mocking tone. Hailey chuckled at his description. Luke really did believe that. Josh was their overall role model, even if he can be a pain sometimes. Luke handed a bag to Josh. He took out pieces of tissue paper before revealing his present.

"This is so going to come in handy at work. Thanks Luke." Josh said inspecting the Hydroflask.

"It says it keeps you water cold all day. Let me know if it's true." Luke said. Josh nodded, placing the water bottle back into the bag.

"Alright, now you are free to open whatever it is you'd like." Josh said. Trinity quickly invaded the tree.

"Is it alright if I give out my presents?" Zac asked. Everyone was surprised by his words, but agreed. Zac got up; Hailey instantly missing his warmth. Zac picked up a few boxes from underneath the tree. "This is for you Trinity."

"Oh my god. Thank you." Trinity said. She quickly unwrapped the small box, revealing a tiara. It was made out of finer material but still childproof. Zac had envisioned Ben when purchasing it.

"For Seth." Zac said handing a card to him. Seth pulled it out, revealing an large amount of money on a Barnes and Nobles gift card.

"Zac, this is way too generous of you. I cannot accept it." Seth said. He attempted to give it back. Zac shook his head.

"I know how much you love books. Go ham and buy whatever you'd like." Zac said. Seth should his head again, not wanting to keep it. "Seth, if you don't keep it, i'll just buy whatever books and come hand them to you. At least this way, you get to chose what you'd like."

"I don't want to, but thank you Zac. I greatly appreciate your kindness towards me." Seth said. He was looking at Zac with a grin.

"You're one of my best friends Seth. I'd do anything for you." Zac said. Seth's grin only seemed to widen. Hailey found her heart growing as she saw the affection Zac had for her brother. He had no idea how much that meant to her and to Seth. "Alright, for Luke."

"What?" Luke asked. He took the box from Zac. He opened it and got a football jersey. "Not to burst your bubble Zac, but why would I want this?"

"It's yours." Zac said. It had Luke's last name and number on it.

"I can see that, but it's not football season." Luke asked. He left the jersey in the box. Hailey watched in confusion.

"After a ling talk with coach, we have decided to make you captain of next season." Zac said. Luke's eyes widened. His eyeball practically falling out of its socket. Hailey waved her hand in front of his face, trying to get his focus.

"Are you serious?" Luke asked. He pulled the jersey out and saw the letter C in the upper left corner. "Woah."

"You deserve it man." Zac said. It took come convincing, but coach had agreed that Luke was next in line to run the team. Not only had he been starting in a few games, but he had Logan blood. Coach thought that meant Luke was going to be just like Josh. He wasn't wrong, but they were different in every way. Josh was calm and collected, while Luke was temperamental and obnoxious.

"Thank you Zac." Luke said placing the jersey back in its box.

"For Ben." Zac said. He handed him an envelope. Ben opened it and dropped the card, in shock.

"Ben? Are you okay?" Hailey asked. Seth waved his hand in front of his face. Ben stayed still with wide eyes. "Ben? Benny? Benjamin!"

"Is he okay?" Trinirty asked. Josh picked up the contents of the card. He, too, dropped them in shock. He was frozen in place. Hailey was very curious as to what it had in it. She was about to pick them up when Luke grabbed it.

"Okay, what did you give him?" Luke asked. He looked down and dropped his jaw open.

"What?" Hailey asked. She ripped it out of Luke's hands. She quickly skimmed its contents, wanting to scream. "Oh my god. This is front row! What the actual heck!"

"Are you all alright?" Zac asked. He was beginning to worry. The present wasn't even such a big deal. He got them Yankees tickets in New York for next summer. They were right behind the third base dugout. They'd be able to see and possibly talk to amazing players like Aaron Judge, Brett Gardner, and Giancarlo Stanton.

"Zac, no. I cannot accept those." Ben said. He was shaking his head, still not believing what he had read.

"You can and you will. All of your are invited to the game. We can take my parents' jet and stay for the weekend." Zac said. He was already excited for the trip and he had to wait months for it. Either way, he was content with his ability to spoil the kids and spent time with Hailey. He also has a chance to learn what normality has become. Hailey loved every second of it.

"I-Zac, no, I can't-oh my god. I'll be in New York. I wonder if I can talk to Judge." Ben began to ramble.

"Alright, I got this for you Josh." Zac said. Josh raised his eyebrows in surprise. Zac struggled to get Josh a gift he knew he'd love. After speaking to his mom, he finally made a choice. It would not only benefit Josh but the family too.

"Wow Zac. This is just too much." Josh said in astonishment. Zac shook his head.

"You deserve it. You have done so much for this family, I thought i'd repay you." Zac said. Josh handed it back to Zac. "Take it Josh."

"Is that a car key? Oh my god Zac. You did not." Hailey said. She quickly got up and went towards the window. Everyone followed suit. In the driveway sat a black truck.

"If it makes it any better, it's not brand new. But at least this way, you'll have a third vehicle and you can use it for construction." Zac said.

"Zac, no. I cannot accept this." Josh said sternly.

"My mom was more than happy to gift it to you. I told her about you and everyone. She wants to meet you." Zac said.

"Your mom wants to meet him?" Ben asked. Zac nodded.

"She didn't raise me like she wished she had. She just wants to tell you how proud she is of you for stepping up in a time of need." Zac explained. Josh blinked. "Just take it. If you don't, it'll just be a car stowed in the depth of my dad's car garage."

"I want to pay you for this." Josh said. Zac scoffed.

"It's a gift. Now go and take it for a test drive." Zac said. Josh shook his head.

"After we are done with this. I believe you have one more present in your hand." Josh said with a smirk. Zac's cheeks increased in heat. His heart was racing as he looked down at it. He hoped and prayed this went right.

"This is from me." Zac said handing Haileh a small box. She unwrapped it and revealed a smaller black, rectangle shaped, box.

"What's this?" Hailey asked. She took out a heart shaped necklace with crystals. Her eyes fell out of the sockets as she saw the word "girlfriend" on it. She looked up at Zac.

"Hails, I am crazy about you. The moment we bumped into each other at the store a few months back, I knew that you'd mean something to me. And you do! We went through some ups and many downs to get to where we are now. I know I want you in my life and I know that I love you." Zac said. Hailey gasped. Had he really just said he loved me? Zac was smiling at her. She felt her grin match his. "So, Hailey, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes." Hailey shouted. She wrapped her arms around his neck. His grasped her hips as she buried her face in the crook of his neck. He kiss her head. She was finally his.

"About damn time." Ben said. Hailey pulled away, looking up at the man that loved her. That's when she knew she loved him too. Everything she had ever felt for him has led her to fall in love with him. He was such an amazing guy and she was crazy about him. She bit her bottom lip. Should she tell him now or wait until later?

"Now, can we finish opening presents?" Seth asked. He was watching them with a look of disgust. Hailey giggled. He probably was not enjoying their little show of affection and they hadn't even kissed.

"Yes!" Trinity shouted. She went back to the tree and picked up another present. "This is for you."

Zac widened his eyes but took the present. He slowly began to unwrap it. He gasped when he saw it. Hailey shifted in her seat as she watched him. She was nervous for it. She didn't know if he'd like it.

"Hails, you didn't have to do that." Zac said as he looked at the picture. Hailey had gifted him a semi-big picture frame with a picture of all their friends at formal. They were doing silly faces, enjoying each other's company and friendship. She had put the word 'Family' on it.

"I know how much our friendship means to you and everyone else." Hailey said. She wanted to hide her face in embarrassment. He had given her such an amazing present and she felt like she couldn't even compete. She had no clue what to get him since he could afford whatever he wanted.

"Hailey, this means more to me than you think. I love it." Zac said. He turned towards her and grinned. She was the most perfect human being he had ever met. He was so glad he had the chance of bumping into her and now he has the chance to make her happy. He wants to show her how much he loves her. "I love you Hailey."

"I love you Zac." She said with a giggle. Zac's eyes widened. She said it back. She loves him. He wanted to lean in and show her just how much he loved her, but he'd have to safe that for later. For when they were alone. Instead, he leaned in and placed his lips on hers, softly and fast. It was a chaste kiss, considering her entire family was watching them. But even then, Hailey finally felt whole. She looked up at her new boyfriend, who was smiling down at her. He loved her and she loved him. He was the one. She could feel it. She just hoped he felt it too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 6.2K 41
Summary It must sound very cliché but this is my story, the story of a nerd ( aka me, Emma) and how my life turned upside down In A mere couple of m...
1.4M 52.3K 112
I anticipated every breath, and every word. Each day, you could only take an uneducated guess at what he would say. What he would do. My heart tremor...
2.3M 40.9K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
18.3K 1.6K 40
**A Romance, Teen Fiction, and YA Featured Novel** Worlds collide when a formerly overweight teen befriends a blinded football player and is forced t...