Hobbit and Lord of the Rings...

By invisame

The title is pretty self-explanatory. I own none of the recognizable characters, places etc. I only own my or... More

Remember Me - Thranduil
Confessions - Bard
Home - Thorin
The Center- Aragorn (Part 1)
The Center - Aragorn (Part 2)
Grumpy - Dwalin
Jealous - Elrond
Falling - The Company
Unrequited - Aragorn
Fix it - Thranduil
Stay - Fili
Hello, Love - Eomer
Hello, Love (Part 2) - Eomer
Flirting? - Legolas
May I interrupt? - Thranduil
He's not so bad - Thorin
What is wrong with you? - Kili
Her - Legolas
(S)Mothering - The Company
Storms - Thorin
By Any Other Name - Elrond
Forward - Thorin
His Queen - Thranduil Drabble
Color My World - Haldir

You Don't Say - Aragorn

6.6K 215 33
By invisame

A/N: Italics is elvish because I'm not going to try to translate all that. This is for daisy_up

***

You hadn't intended to become part of the Fellowship when you followed your brother Boromir to Rivendell. It had just sort of happened. You couldn't very well let a hobbit volunteer to make such a treacherous journey and not offer to help him. Your brother had been most displeased by your decision to join though he couldn't argue that you would not be useful. 

Your brothers had trained you with a sword themselves. And you'd had your nose stuck in a book almost from the moment you could read. You were knowledgeable about many things Boromir was not even remotely interested in. And that knowledge just might help on your journey. 

The day had been relatively quiet and you were all enjoying the break. Gandalf had wandered off somewhere as was his habit. Legolas and Aragorn took the lead while you were in the middle with the hobbits. Boromir and Gimli were in the rear. Normally you would be chatting with your little friends, hearing tales of the shire but today you were quiet. Truth be told, you were eavesdropping on Aragorn and Legolas's conversation. Not that it was hard. They were speaking at a normal volume. It wasn't your fault they assumed no one else could speak the language of the Sindarin Elves. 

"We should take advantage of the calm day and stop soon, my friend. Everyone could use a night of good rest," Aragorn said with a glance at Legolas.

Legolas nodded once as he continued to look for threats around them. "I agree. It may get cold this evening. You should set your bedding close to Y/N's so you can offer to keep her warm." There was a teasing lilt to the elf's tone and you had to bite back a bark of surprised laughter. 

You were careful not to meet Aragorn's eyes when he glanced quickly in your direction. 

"Hush, Legolas. Y/N is not for me. And I'm fairly certain Boromir would skin me should I even consider it," Aragorn commented.

You couldn't deny the disappointment you felt when he said you weren't for him. He wasn't entirely wrong about Boromir either. If your brothers had their way you'd probably never marry. They were entirely too overprotective. Part of it was them attempting to compensate for your neglectful father, which you accomplished, but more often than not all they accomplished was annoying you. 

Legolas laughed. "I am certain the lady could protect you. She is a formidable warrior."

You could see the edge of Aragorn's smile as he contemplated his friend's words. "That she is. I hope her future spouse gives her the appreciation she deserves."

"You could be sure of that if you were the one to court her," the elf responded.

"Enough, Legolas."

***

It wasn't long until the Fellowship stopped and set up an early camp. Legolas managed to shoot a couple of rabbits that you all shared for dinner along with food from your packs. You sat near the fire, watching the flames dance as you finished eating. Your eyes darted up when you heard Legolas speak in his native tongue once more. 

"You're staring," he said to Aragorn. 

You shifted your gaze back to the fire and bit your lip to keep from smiling. 

Aragorn sighed. "You are being very persistent today, my friend." When Legolas didn't respond, Aragorn continued. "Besides, there is no harm in enjoying the view."

The elf laughed. "So you do like her?"

"Apparently that's fairly obvious if your teasing today is anything to go by." Aragorn puffed on his pipe. 

"Are you planning on saying anything to her?" 

"I'm not certain that is a good idea," Aragorn said softly.

Legolas tried to argue with his friend, but you tuned the two of them out. Of course he didn't want to say anything to you. He was to be king and you were far from a princess. And then there was Boromir. The few suitors you had were all chased off by your brothers or they were more worried about paying courtesy to them than to you. 

You glanced over as your brother sat beside you. He leaned toward you as he talked so no one would overhear the two of you. "You care for him." It was a statement not a question.

Heart flared through your cheeks and you ducked your head. Boromir chuckled. "Worry not, sister. Even I would have difficulty finding fault with him. Do as you will."

Your head jerked up in surprise. "I am no princess, Boromir. He deserves better than me."

He tilted his head as he gave you a small smile. "There is no one better than you, Y/N. No one more worthy. If he does not see that he is a fool." You threw your arms around your brother and hugged him, his kind words restoring some of your confidence. "Besides, I assure you, sister," he said near your ear, "your affections are returned." 

He pulled away and stood. You stared after him as he moved over to sit with the hobbits.

***

It was now late. You laid beside the dwindling fire as you stared at the stars. Boromir's words ran through your head and you considered whether you should speak with Aragorn or not. You sighed, knowing you would not find sleep this night. A glance at your companions showed everyone in their spot save Aragorn who was currently on watch. 

You pushed your blanket aside and got to your feet. Being careful not to disturb anyone, you wove through your companions until you were outside the circle around the fire. It didn't take long to spot Aragorn perched on a rock outcropping that overlooked the whole clearing and the area around. It was the same spot you'd already decided on should they wake you for watch. Not that they ever did. 

You shook your head at the foolishness of men when it came to protecting women in their midst and headed toward Aragorn. "Don't stab me," you said in a quiet tone as you approached. 

A low chuckle answered letting you know you'd been heard.

As you emerged from the bushes, Aragorn slid over and patted the rock beside him. You took the invitation and settled in beside him. 

"Why are you awake, my friend?" Aragorn asked when you didn't immediately say anything.

You shook your head, thankful for the darkness so he wouldn't see the blush that colored your cheeks. "I'm tired, however my mind is not."

He hummed in understanding. "Unfortunately, that is a state with which I am most familiar. Is there anything I might assist with?"

You shrugged. It wasn't as easy to confess your feelings as you thought it would be now that you knew he felt the same and you had your brother's blessing. After a bit longer of sitting in silence, just enjoying the company, you sighed. 

"That was a sorrowful sound. Are you certain you are all right, Y/N?" 

You glanced over to find him looking at you with a furrowed brow. His eyes searched your face in the moonlight. Turning away from him, you took a deep breath. 

"Did Boromir ever tell you why he did not object when I offered to come on the quest?" you asked.

There was a stretch of silence and you turned to find him still studying you. As if the motion snapped him from his trance, he shifted his gaze to the clearing below. "I never asked. You proved your skill with the sword fairly quickly so I never questioned it."

You gave a brief nod. "Allow me to tell you a story, Strider. My father cherishes Boromir. He loves my brother and is proud of everything he does. Faramir and myself could never hope to live up to him. In fact, my father only employed a governess for me until he deemed me old enough to fend for myself with the help of a handmaiden. After all, I only needed to be pretty enough to marry a young lord. Education was unnecessary."

You felt the ranger's eyes on you but didn't turn to meet his gaze. Instead you continued your tale. "My brothers took it upon themselves to raise me. I was always underfoot of one or the other. They taught me proper manners and how to run a home. When I tired of that they taught me how to fight. Beyond that they taught me battle tactics and how to rule an army." You smiled as you thought of some of those lessons. "And when they weren't teaching me, I hid away in the library and read. Book upon book. I came to know some of the most obscure things."

"Boromir seems very proud of you," Aragorn said after a moment.

That made your smile widen. "They both are. And most importantly, they have never dismissed me or my opinions simply because I was a woman. They value my input. Boromir did not complain about my joining because he knew I could contribute."

"I think I know you well enough by now to know you have a reason for telling me this. So what is it, Y/N?"

You leaned forward, resting your elbows on your knees as you looked over the land below. "It's funny the things you can learn in books. A lot of it's not very practical. But then other times you can learn a whole new language. You never know when something like that will come in handy."

You turned to look at Aragorn and saw the moment he realized you had slipped into Sindarin. Fluent Sindarin. 

His lips pressed together and he cleared his throat. "I assume that was your way of telling me that you know what Legolas was teasing me about today."

"I just wanted you to know that your feelings are not one sided. That is if what Legolas hinted at was true. But do not worry, Aragorn. I am fully capable of pretending I heard nothing if that is what you wish." You figured the man had enough poking and prodding for one day so you got to your feet and brushed the dirt from your clothes. "I warn you that Boromir is likely to join in the teasing soon. I doubt he will give leave to either of us."

His fingers wrapped around your wrist to hold you in place as he looked up at you. "What does your brother know of this?"

"He has given us his blessing. Not that I asked for it, but he gave it just the same," you explained. "Apparently I stare." Your face heated but you figured you could survive a little embarrassment if it made him feel better. 

He chuckled and pulled you back down. "As do I."

You settled next to him and leaned against his side as he looped an arm around your shoulders. It didn't take long for sleep to find you and Aragorn pressed a kiss to your head. He didn't wake you until it was time for Boromir to take his shift at watch. 

Your brother smiled at the two of you and kissed your cheek as he walked by. Aragorn quickly moved his bedding to lay next to yours and settled beside you. The two of you fell asleep in each other's arms much to the delight of the rest of the Fellowship.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.9K 585 20
Those are just some imagines with the lotr and hobbit boys. I take requests too and please excuse any mistakes I make. Also, this is my first time wr...
16.7K 607 27
Just some oneshots with Aragorn and Legolas because I feel like it. Hope you enjoy!
1M 24.9K 65
~occasionally updated still~ Imagines with your favorite characters from the Hobbit! Including - but not limited to - Thorin, Legolas, Kili, Fili, a...
79.6K 2K 40
I will be writing imagines about certain characters from the hobbit films. If you have any request please ask. Hope you enjoy these imagines