The Water Sprite

By moosesforgooses

Bai Qian, the young Princess of The Fox Clan flees the Den in search of peace and quiet after an argument bet... More

The Rock Pool
A Fated Meeting
An Unwanted Disciple
Mayhem on Kunlun Mountain
A New Beginning
Assessment of a War God
The Letter
Growth
Ascension
A Fated Witness
A High Immortal
Festival of Peaches
Confusion
Coronation
A Birthday Gift
A Soft Blush
Confessions
A Soldiers Return
Pirates Treasure
Kunlun Mountain
Suspicions
A Trial of Extremes
The Hunter
A Hunted Hunter
Heat
Flame on Flame
Rejected
The Healer.
An Eel
The Return
A High Goddess
The Interview.
A Deeper Understanding
Marriage
The Announcement
Final Preparations.
Dissension
Matrimony
Family
Epilogue

The Birthday Party

1.7K 55 6
By moosesforgooses

20,000 years ago

"Mi Gu, what are you doing here?" Bai Qian asked as her Tree Sprite wove his way through the crowd of drunken Mortal men who had entered the tavern from a nearby festival for the final storytelling of the day.

"Gu Gu." he puffed as he reached the top balcony to take the last few steps towards her table which was always reserved for her one day a week.    

She had been in the Mortal Realm for three years which is the equivalent of only three days in the Immortal Realm.  And most of that time was spent at her private Mortal Realm home.  A beautiful large log cabin built into the side of a wind swept cliff that overlooked the ocean.  

With Bai Zhens help and two trustworthy friends he had made among the Mortals, her home was not only beautiful, comfortable and warm, but it had taken a large amount of effort and magic to build it into the side of a cliff without being seen.   

But for a handsome payment that would see his friends lead very wealthy lives, while keeping quiet about her and her home, she finally had a place to go to that only Bai Zhen knew about.  No other Immortal even knew she had a Mortal Realm home, but it was hers, and the tranquility and peace that it gave her when she needed a break from her duties saw her staying much longer than she intended.

 It was completely private with no access to anyone but herself because there were no roads or paths that led to it.  And nor could it be seen from the beach below, because the entrance was behind a thick barrier, it was the perfect hideaway.

And one day a week, she would visit the local tavern to watch the latest storytelling and plays.  Her table had become a reserved one that the tavern owner kept solely for her, and that was because she always paid with pearls, was polite and caused no trouble.  And it was there that Mi Gu found her sitting enthralled with the newest play to their world.  

Standing as he reached her table, she raked his clothing with a grimace.  "Mi Gu, you know you cannot enter the Mortal Realm dressed like that, you stand out too much." she gently chided him as he quickly raised his hands to bow, only to have them pushed back down roughly.

"And you also know not to draw attention to me either." she snapped now becoming angry, but taking in the look on his face, she quickly pushed it back down.  He would never have come looking for her there without a disguise unless something was wrong.

Looking over his shoulder at goodness knows what, Bai Qian snatched up her coat and put it on.

"Gu Gu, Forth Brother sent me to collect you.  You have to come home, the Empress is tearing the Peach Grove apart searching for you." he whispered breathlessly, wide eyed and looking very fearful.

"What? Why?" she asked stunned. 

 She had only been gone for three days.  Quickly thinking back over the past few days and then weeks,she couldn't come up with anything that would anger her that much.  She rarely got herself into trouble with her mother, and even when she did, it was over trivial things.  Her mischievous days came to an end the day she took on the mantel of Queen.  With a large Clan to take care of, Bai Qian took her duties seriously.  She had implemented a new way of life for her people that ensured they all prospered, were happy and healthy.

Though, the only thing that really saw her butt heads with both of her parents was her lack of a husband.  She just wasn't interested, and because Bai Zhen had not married, and nor was he showing any signs of wanting to marry, they could not force her. Her brother was her saving grace, and she used it every time they brought the subject up.

There had been a few dates and meetings over the years, but the truth was, she just felt no connection to them.  And nor did she like the desire in their eyes for her wealth and position, which was so obvious in the first few minutes of meeting them, that she had rudely cut the meetings short.

But as she left the tavern with Mi Gu, she wondered if perhaps she had forgotten about yet another match making date her mother had set up for her again.  Though that wouldn't make her that mad, she thought to herself.

"Gu Gu.  Did you forget?  It is the Heavenly Lords Birthday and you were meant to attend as the representative from Qing Qiu,  Your mother sent back a missive confirming your attendance.  In our world, the Party started an hour ago and your mother is furious." he said as they quickly fled to the Immortal worlds barrier, that would allow them to cloud jump.

"His birthday?  But I didn't know anything about it." she said as they flew back to the Fox Den. 

"Your mother probably didn't think you would disappear.  She was going to accompany you herself so you would not get lost in the maze of corridors again." he said with a small grin, but she understood the innuendo.  The gossip about her never really died down, but she knew how important an event like this one was.  

The Heavenly Lord only celebrated his birthday once every ten thousand years, though it was known to everyone, that it was a means to get the Leaders of the world together to strengthen alliances and to meet the new up and coming Leaders in a friendly and happy environment, and as the Queen of Qing Qiu, the largest and most wealthiest of them all, it was expected that she would attend.  Her parents had attended every single one of them, so to not attend, would be seen as exceptionally rude and cause offense.

Racing into the den and past her brother and father, while ignoring their outrage and demands that she explain herself, she quickly threw on her best dress, and quickly did up her hair.  She really only wore it one way, sides up and the rest left to flow freely about her body.

Then racing back out into the main room with the intention of cloud jumping directly to the Celestial Heavens,  she was finally forced to a halt by her father.

"Xiao Wu.  This is unforgivable.  You know this event is one you must attend, your position in the world demands your presence, you knew this the day you took on the mantel of Queen.  How dare you embarrass us like this." he scolded her harshly.

Wanting only to leave before her mother arrived and went absolutely berserk at her, she quickly threw her arms around her fathers shoulders.  She had learned from a very young age, that to still her fathers anger before he completely lost it, all she had to do was look cute, contrite and hug him.  Which is exactly what she did, while Bai Zhen who was looking on, quickly dragged him off her laughing.

"Come on, I will escort you, if you leave now, there will still be time enough to get away with being fashionably late." he said as he quickly dragged her from the den before her father could protest or even take a second breath.

"Zhen Zhen, I honestly didn't know about the Birthday Party, mother didn't tell me." she said as they flew rapidly through the air at great speed.

"I know, but mother didn't realize you would disappear.  She didn't tell you because she thought you might run away, she planned on telling you minutes before you had to leave." he laughed as he conjured a small gift box and handed it to her.

"Zhen Zhen, thank you.  I understand the importance of attending the function, I would have prepared for it myself." she said looking down at the gift she was to give The Heavenly Lord on behalf of Qing Qiu.  Though as was the Fox Clans way, the gift was unsigned.  They never gave gifts with their names attached, as she deemed it too prideful and pretentious.  A gift should be given without the need for gratitude or pomp.

Now at the entrance to the Celestial Heavens, having used Bai Zhens High God powers to traverse vast distances at remarkable speed, she was beginning to feel nervous.

"Zhen Zhen, this time, don't leave me standing by myself." she said as they alighted in front of the Palace gates where they were met by the Celestial Guards.  Though the moment they gave their names, a special guide automatically appeared to lead them to the Grand Hall where the party was being held.

"Don't worry Xiao Wu, I will be keeping a very close eye on you." he said smiling down at her as their guide wove them through the long corridors to a place she had only ever heard of.

Though the further they went, the more nervous she became.  The last time she had been there, she had unintentionally met the man himself, but the vile gossip that followed, was still very much in motion, that she began to worry until her stomach began to churn.  Feeling ill and wondering why she had even bothered returning, she suddenly wanted to turn around and leave again.

Stopping, she took his arm and clung on tightly.  "Zhen Zhen, what if I make mistakes?  What i I say the wrong thing?" she asked looking at her brother helplessly, and to him,  like a little girl suddenly lost all over again.

Placing his hand on her shoulder lightly, he smiled softly down at her.  "Xiao Wu, you will do well.  You have given many talks to our people over the years, so you are more than capable of handling this." he said, though the way she was clinging onto him, gave him an idea.

"Why don't we skip the announcement of our arrival and we just slip quietly into the gathering, that way we can drop off the gift, drink a cup of wine in his honour and leave.  That way you can say you attended and mother won't be angry." he suggested, which instantly put a smile on her face.

"Really?  We can do that?" she asked.  Though the thought of sneaking about the Celestial Heavens only brought back the memory of her last visit.  

"Well, you will have to greet the man himself of course, but we can leave soon after." he said the guide turned back towards them having realized he was walking alone.  

Explaining to the man, that they did not want an official announcement of their arrival, it was agreed that he would lead them to the steps of the Grand Hall and leave them to make their own way, which wasn't common,  but nor was it unheard of.  There were a few Leaders who did not like the fuss of an announcement, preferring a more humble entry.

And as she followed the guide, her mind began to dwell on the Heavenly Lord himself.  She never forgot the gentle touch of his hand on her face.  Though the ensuing days after her coronation, she had wondered why he had touched her in such a way.  It was a very intimate gesture, but more surprisingly was her own reaction to it.

Far from being offended or stunned by it, she had actually chased after him.  In that brief moment, she had felt a connection with him, even though at the time, she didn't even know who was touching her.  I was the strangest feeling, to suddenly want to feel that touch again, yet not understanding why or even caring why.  Even as the Grand Hall came into view, she could feel that same connection flaring into life the closer to him she got him.

Excited, fearful and nervous, her hand unconsciously grasped at her stomach which had Bai Zhen looking at her sideways.  "Are you alright Xiao Wu?"he asked as he led them upwards.

Needing to ask, if only to hear how silly she was being, she stopped them halfway up the long staircase.

"Zhen Zhen, if the thought of meeting someone again makes me feel nervous and fearful, but happy and excited all at the same time, what does it mean?" she asked wide eyed blushing profusely.

Keeping the sudden urge to laugh to himself, he patted her head softly.  "It means you need to cut back on the Mortal Realms wine Xiao Wu." he said softly before leading her up the final lot of steps.

Though his mind did go back briefly to a conversation he had with Zhe Yan many years ago.  He had told him that Mo Yuan had feelings for Bai Qian, but because the man had shown no interest in marriage or even women for that matter, he had merely scoffed at it, deeming it mere drunk talk.  But seeing the way his sister was acting the closer to the entrance they got, a small smile began to form.  If she were able to snare the Greatest God of them all, then who was he to stop her from losing herself again, he thought, as a plan came to mind.

The moment the large entrance came into the view, the untold guests that filled the hall, made it very easy for both of them to slip in quietly while acting as if they had been a part of the gathering from the beginning.

Quickly snatching a cup of wine from a passing attendant, Bai Qian smiled at her brother.  This definitely made things so much easier for her.  Though as she looked around,she realized she didn't really know anyone there, much like the last time.

Making their way to the front, while smiling and nodding her head at those who looked her way, they soon found themselves at the gift table, which she quickly placed the box down.

"What exactly am I gifting Zhen Zhen?" she asked, the box was rather small.

"Matching wine bottles, carved from luminous pearls." he said as he scanned the room for anyone he might know.

"Who made them?" she asked amazed.  She had never seen anything carved from her pearls, she suddenly wanted to open the box to look at them for herself.

"Father commissioned them, though if you want some for yourself, just ask MI Gu, he knows the man who carved them." he said as continued to scan the hall.

Smiling, he suddenly took hold of her hand and dragged her towards a group of young men he knew.

"Lang, Chang!  It's been a while." he laughed as they all moved to make way for their arrival.

Laughing, they all greeted him back, though the moment their eyes fell on Bai Qian, the stares and open mouth gawking had Bai Zhen pulling her closer to him.

"My sister, Bai Qian." he introduced her which immediately had the young men fawning to get closer as they all introduced themselves.

At least this lot know how to introduce themselves properly." she thought as she smiled politely and nodded at them all.

"I didn't realize you were here.  We didn't hear the announcement." the one called Chang said as he inched closer to her.

"Uh... we sneaked in." she said smiling at him, but not liking the way they were all crowding around her.

"A shame, I would have been there to welcome you in properly." he smiled at her which reminded her of a snake.  But keeping the smile on her face since they were her brothers friends, she tried to be polite.

"Well we almost didn't make it at all.  My sister only found out about the party an hour ago." Bai Zhen answered for her.

"Well, I for one am glad you came, it would not be a party without you in it." he said as she quickly jumped back from the hand that was about to touch her shoulder.  Instant dislike for this man was immediately buried beneath a well practiced smile.  Fake and arrogant, just like those girls, she thought to herself.  Though the second she looked back at Bai Zhen, she realized once again, he had left her on her own.

Furious, and not interested in the obvious attempts to touch her and move themselves too close to her, she quickly backed away to look for Bai Zhen.  The entire hall was crammed with people, that it was possible he may have actually been close-by, but having already excused herself from his friends unwanted attention, she slowly made her way back to the entrance.

Zhen Zhen knew I didn't want to be alone! she thought angrily to herself. And unable to even see The Heavenly Lord o wish him a happy birthday, or knowing anyone else there, she left the hall and the fake people behind, as she made her way down the long flight of steps.  

Having seen her sneak in, Mo Yuan watched her casually lift a cup of wine before moving in among the guests.  Keeping his eyes on her,the entire time, he then watched as her brother led her to a group of his friends, and though she was smiling and being polite, he could see she was not comfortable.  But the moment she left their company to go in search of her brother who seemed to have purposely left her on her own, he then watched as she left the hall.

With a small smile and a polite nod at Di Jun, Mo Yuan waited a few minutes, before also slipping out of the hall to follow her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.6K 3.3K 33
**Sequel to Coach's Daughter** It is highly recommended that you read that first. __ *Coming May of 2019* Blurb- •There's a reason BF stands for boyf...
1M 54.8K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
589K 13.2K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
687K 33.2K 60
Highest rank #1 in Adventure # 1 in FantasyAdventure Ling-ling was struggling financially when a proposition too good to pass fell on her lap. It is...