The Fairest (Book #1)

By GoldFantasy

A prophecy was given to the Realm of Valeera, but only one kingdom took heed to it and set forth a law that w... More

AUTHOR'S GREET
REMEMBER THIS
1: The Purple Thief
2: The Lost Ones
3: Truths and Promises
4: Traditions
5: The Rescue
6: Freedom
7: The Fiisen
8: Immediate Fate
9: Court Appearance
10: An Enlightenment
11: Inner Joy
12: The Escort
13: Haminast ov Casad
14: Special
15: Number Two
16: Gideon
17: The Gift
18: The Ledge
19: Fair Consequences
20: Eyes and Ears
21: Sanction Ritual
23: Plans
24: Letter
25: Plan B
26: Royal Hospitality
27: Prayer
28: The Parade
29: The Diviine Decision
30: Nightmare
31: The Altar
32: The Fairest
33: Identifiers
34: It's Gone
35: A King
36: The Cursed Truth
37: Rasheem
38: The Rescue
39: The Merging
40: The Divine Six
41: A Little Trip
42: Find Her
44: The Base
43: Accusations
45: Selfless Courage
46: Welcome Back
47: Purple Veins
48: A Coincidence
49: The Search
50: Indescribable Joy
Publishing News Update!

22: Heart

1.2K 123 7
By GoldFantasy

YEAR 1006 - SINCE HAMINO'S PROMISE

It was a rainy night when her stepfather decided to return home after weeks of working at the palace. The tapping of Athias's horseshoes along the wet cobblestones met her ears from the top of her tower as her stepfather led him to the stable. Athias, harbored a steady heartbeat, calm and mighty, with a history of traveling to various places with her stepfather. Places she'd never see or ever know. Once her stepfather had entered their house, she leaped out of her bed, ignoring the cold floor under her feet, and scurried down the winding staircase to the first floor.

Over her short years of living in the tower, she had trained her feet to sneak about the house like a spirit. Yet somehow, her mom would always sense her presence or figure out what she'd done. But this time, she didn't care if she was heard.

Mageia ran through the halls toward her stepfather's study, a joyous smile on her face. She couldn't wait to see him again. But as she approached the cracked door, she slowed to a halt, hearing tension in her parents' voices.

"I'm sensing terrible things, Vale," her stepfather said.

"Things like what?"

"Thaddeus wants the throne of Gorana."

Her mother scoffed as her flat shoes paced the floor. "Really, Leon? Rendel will take Ardania within a day if he catches wind of this idea."

"I know, but Thaddeus and Joelis have poisoned blood. Their pride will get us all killed."

"Have you tried talking sense into him?"

"Yes. Me, Dimitri, and anyone else brave enough to do so."

"Damn pirates," her mother said. "What're you going to do?"

"My best to convince them otherwise. They have this Fiisen boy they're investing a lot of time in, which is nothing compared to an Ersan. The last thing Ardania needs is a war. I will not allow my soldiers to go into a war they cannot win."

"You must be careful, Leon. Conspiracies like this can hurt many people, especially those who oppose."

"I will, my love," he assured.

"Leon, we should be wise and pack up and leave this godforsaken kingdom," her mom pleaded.

"You're right," he said. "Especially since Thaddeus has caught wind of a new religion rising in the streets of Strana."

"Mhmm," her mother mused.

"I see you've been busy, Valasia," he teased in a semi-humorous and flirtatious tone.

"We survived for a reason. Plus, I think this kingdom needs a bit of hope solacing its streets."

Mageia leaned forward, curious to know more of what they spoke about, but the floorboards creaked beneath her feet. Silence claimed the study, and Mageia held her breath. The door swooshed open, startling her away from the entrance.

Her mother, beautiful and radiant in her night robe, burst out laughing. "We have an extra pair of ears listening, Leon."

Mageia grinned. Her stepfather came into view at the center of the study and knelt to her level. He opened his arms, welcoming her as she ran into them.

"My little Geia," he greeted, planting kisses on her head, forehead, and cheeks.

She giggled. "Stop it. I am not little anymore, father."

"Oh, I see," he said, face shining bright with joy. "My little girl has grown into a lady since I've been gone. I guess you don't need this gift, then."

He produced a miniature doll from the satchel hanging from his armored uniform. Sewn and stuffed professionally, it had brown skin, long curly hair, and noticeable purple eyes. She wore a pretty purple dress, and when she squeezed the doll, it felt soft and ready to be cuddled. She gasped excitedly and snatched it from his hands.

"I think I'll be little for a little longer," she grinned.

Their laughter echoed in her ears.

~*~*~

"For gods sake, someone shut her up," a man barked.

Mageia woke up from the memory, bottom lip trembling and tears swimming down her cheeks, adding to the droplets of dried blood on her ruined dress. She peered up from her cascade of entangled curls to look at the dark-skinned man relaxing in his bed as if he was in some luxury bedroom.

"Oh, leave the girl alone, Sadon," said a lady who she'd come to know as Ameri. She was sitting on the bed next to hers, rubbing ointment on a leg thinner than a rope.

Mageia tried to shift her arms. They were numb from dangling uselessly from the bed's posts. She sniffled, wishing to wipe her face from the muck of crying for hours. She didn't know the exact time, but the sun had begun to descend from its high throne. Hours had passed since the guards brought her to the Taefo, tongue stiff, and body screaming in pain from the vine thorns and the dragging to and from the royal sitting room. Mind warping to the point of pure speechlessness, she tried holding onto her sanity by remembering good things.

Her parents and her family.

Curse you, she thought, her mind stuck on the idiotic face of Prince Grisonce. Though he had broken protocol to speak with her and couldn't keep his theory to himself, she did mess things up by trying to escape. She allowed panic to set in, and now she faced an inevitable death.

At least someone was trying to help you, Mageia.

Seeing that their watchman had slipped from the room a minute ago for some unknown reason, Ameri approached the small table of food and drinks by the door and made a cup of water. She approached Mageia and brought the cup to her dry, cracked lips.

"Here, honey, hurry and drink," Ameri said, and she did.

The warm water refreshed her dry mouth and throat. She hated to think how terrible she looked since the guards had little to no compassion toward her well-being. She trembled to her bones and wished that the guards would at least unchain her from the bedpost, but they feared she'd try an escape. And they were right to think that, knowing her reputation. Two or maybe four guards patrolled outside their door, and seven extra hands could greatly assist in a silent takeover. However, in her sickly state, she doubted she could touch the door without fainting.

Despite her appearance and despair, Mageia never lost her need to observe and hear everything around her. The Sacred Seven for the Sacred Sacrifice were people directly chosen by the Royal family, the Judges, the Council, and the Priesthood, brought before the gods for their final confirmation. They were a mixture of people– rich and poor, young and old; all declared defected and Strange under the eyes of the gods.

When the commander's guards returned her to the Taefo, Ameri tried to comfort her, despite the guards' rebuttals. According to her, they'd never done a replacement in almost fifty years– meaning Mageia had to be one special girl to piss off the king for him to go to this extent. After a while, the boney woman told her why they were voted and chosen. Either to put her or herself at ease, Mageia couldn't tell, but one thing was for sure, the woman enjoyed hearing her own voice.

"Thank you," she muttered.

The lady's large eyes blinked with pure motherly affection mixed with a demeanor of a fighting spirit. "No problem, honey. When the watchman returns, I'll make sure to raise hell for him to untie yuh."

Mageia didn't doubt the woman's resolve, especially with how she openly admitted to being the leader of the Blesseds. Even in her weakened and pained state, it shocked Mageia. The secret group was known to worship only the Ordained and help free people from slavery, servitude, Checkings, and whatever their reasons by illegally crossing the borders. They had been an enemy of the Crown for years.

Her entire network finally reached into the Royal Palace, which Ameri believed sparked a betrayal and a setup that got her arrested by the commander's men. She talked about how she would meet the Purple Thief one day and unite their forces, but didn't know it'd be under these circumstances.

"Ameri, get away from that Strange. She's a witch, I heard," said another condemned across the room. The extremely heavyset man was named Rasni. He used to be a scribe, a historian, and an antiquities dealer, trading illegally and stealing from libraries protected under the royal signet. Just like Sadon, he sat on his bed filing his fingernails with great precision, as if he were on vacation.

Ameri scowled and waved a dismissive hand at the fat Strange. "Oh, shut up, Rasni." She turned to Mageia. "Now, now, girl, pay these men no mind. They somehow haven't regained their hearts despite the fact they're 'bout to die."

"My heart is still here, pumping in my chest." Sadon beat a fist against his masculine chest protruding from his tight shirt. "I just don't want to hear sobbing while I'm praying."

According to Ameri, Sadon was a former noble who found himself stripped of his titles and possessions after becoming a gambling addict and a person known to happily use his fist and belittle people from time to time. Working in the Runes for six years of his life did little to stop his need to gamble or attempt rebellions and escapes, leading to the overseers suggesting him for prison or death as a statement to his friends.

"As if the gods will hear it," muttered a girl in her early teens. She had bright green eyes and wild brown curls that hung down to her waist.

Dana's story silently resonated with Mageia, especially since they were close in age. Fifteen and an orphan from Greenshiin, an island off the northwest side of Ardania. Dana was caught after a failed attempt at freeing exotic animals from a trading post said to be destined for a show at the palace. She had done the task multiple times before at various trading ports, with two unknown helpers she refused to reveal. The girl sat on her bed with her knees bunched up to her chest, silent tears streaming down from her red puffy eyes.

"Do you think the High Priest will let us plead our cases?" asked the beautiful woman sitting alone on the windowsill across the dimly lit room.

Madeena, a middle-aged woman from Hiilaan, was known for her long blond hair, extraordinary beauty, and a persona as sharp as broken glass. Married to Councilman Drolan Trou, she decided to commit adultery and conspired to murder him. Her maidservant, who she threatened to assist, decided to be brave and saved the councilman. The Crown granted the Strange maidservant her freedom and a Cleared Mark to be waived from all Checkings forever. Madeena, on the other hand, was stripped of her rights, marked as Strange, and made into a candidate for the Sacred Seven.

"Pray to Dawnis that he will," said Don, another Sacred, giving what could be a hopeful smile despite the redness in his teary eyes.

Don, a handsome brown-skinned 17-year-old from the Farmlaans, found that his luck ran dry when his family couldn't keep up with their debts for the medications for his blood sickness. They all worked as servants for an official of finances. He had decided to refuse helping the family and their debt and volunteered Don for the vote.

"Just try to rest your minds," Ameri said. "Calm ye-selves and make peace with the gods. Death is only a step into another door of life."

Rasni gave a nasty snort that caused his flabby chin to wobble. "Oh, shut it, you boney ass."

"Says the fat ass in the room," Don retorted, scrunching his nose in disgust.

"Fut off, you bloody shat," Rasni fumed, pointing to his nose.

Don's smile faded away as he pressed a dirty handkerchief to blood running freely from his nostrils.

"Ameri is right. We must focus on seeking peace," said the eldest Sacred in the room. Nabea rose from her bed to sit on Dana's and comforted her. "Don't any of you have any hearts? We are about to die, and you men are so nonchalant."

The gray-haired woman was known to be a Master in Herbs in Strana. Many held suspicions of her dealing with sorcery, but really, she had a side business producing a drug stronger than those used for medical purposes. One known side effect was illusions and paranoia, which her enemies used against her to claim her business. Her name popped up in the Sacred Vote, and Nabea assumed some of her noble clients didn't want her revealing them, so they added her as a candidate.

"I am not worried," Rasni said, shifting positions and causing his bed to creak under his weight. "Since the witch came in, I bet the Royals are going to be more sympathetic on the fairest of the Fair in here."

Don gave a dry, cough-like laugh. He combed a hand through his slick black hair and gave a charming grin that probably made women's hearts melt. "You think you're the fairest, mister fat ass? And here I thought the High Priest was the most delusional."

Rasni growled and curled his fists. Don hid his smile behind the handkerchief pressed against his nostrils.

"Mind you all, the reason we are here is because we are the strangest of the Strange according to the Laws," Ameri said with a voice fit for a mass speaker. "Just wait until I enter the Diviine Throne of the Ordained and see them greet us with open arms and apologize for the cruelty of our kingdom. Heck, I bet they'll force the Diviine Six to do the same thing. And I believe with all my heart that they and those who went before us are planning a great judgment on those who call themselves the fairest of the Fair."

"Oh, shut it, you walkin' skeleton. You annoy me with your faith talkin'," Rasni said slyly.

"She is quite annoying," Madeena agreed.

Ameri stood tall, dress flapping as if she had truly decomposed into nothing. "You two will rot in the hell halls of Dawnis for your lack of faith. The Sacred Book states holy facts beyond your ignorance."

Mageia's eyes peeled open at hearing such familiar talk, and she instantly thought about Prince Grisonce. A nasty shiver broke free within her flesh, listening to the shift in topic.

"That book is a myth. No such thing," Sadon mused, although he had sat up with slight interest.

"I don't know, Sadon. I've heard that it was a real book, one passed down from the ancients," Don said, standing and slowly approaching her bed.

"It is real," Ameri confided. "I've seen copied pages from it, given to me by my connection, who has somehow infiltrated the Fair Hearts after years of seeking and proving himself."

"And who in the hell are the Fair Hearts?" Dana asked.

"A rebel group living beyond the ignorant walls of Ardania," Ameri disclosed, waving her thin arms through the air with exaggeration. "They've traveled the realm and have seen copies of the book and libraries filled with this knowledge. Rasni, a historian himself, may have heard of it."

They all looked at the fat man. "Yeah, I've heard of it, but it's nothing but foolish talk. My area of expertise concerned genealogy and the history of Ardania. Fut religion."

Sadon shook his head. "What a shame to your own genealogy."

A few chuckles responded to his statement, and the fat man cut Sadon a dangerous look.

"Ameri, do you think the Royal Library has it?" Don pondered, folding his arms across his chest, brows clashing with wonder.

"Most likely."

"The Priesthood?" Dana guessed, equally curious.

Ameri smirked and nodded. "Especially them. The Sacred Book is about the Ordained, which we have come to discover were also called Fairests."

"Fairests? This is the first I've heard the Ordained called as such," Nabea quipped.

"Yes. It is a title spoken in secret and only amongst the most faithful."

"I knew I should've gone to temple studies more," Dana mumbled, and curled back into her sorrowful position.

"It doesn't really matter, Dana, because our priests simply refuse to teach it to us," Ameri said. "I know that even the Elves preach from that book."

"To hell with the Elves," Sadon cursed.

"To hell with everyone, even your pathetic followers," Rasni joined in

Ameri smiled and continued. "The book is big on a certain promise spoken by one of the ancient Gods of Old. A promise about a Fairest being not just for one kingdom, but for the entire realm." She fell silent, waiting for a rebuttal. None came; she'd caught their ears. "This Fairest will have the magic and power of a god. Every Era, a Fairest is promised to keep the power of magic balanced in this realm and in the Serene. Without a Fairest, everything goes imbalanced, to the point even our prayers ascending to the Serene may be hindered or ignored."

"That's scary." Dana shivered in Nabea's embrace.

"Aye, it is. I believe that's why Ardania has grown so cruel and bloodthirsty," Ameri hypothesized.

Silence reclaimed the room as everyone's minds returned to the deep horror of their present situation.

Ameri caught eyes with Mageia. She was unable to stop the flood of long-lost memories of conversations she had with her parents. Those very conversations surrounded the Book of Legends and how she was special, like the Ordained.

Why am I now remembering this?

Something squeezed her heart. Possibly guilt and grief. She couldn't identify how she could've forgotten such important information from her past. Then she thought of her failed execution. The loss of blood must have done something to her mind. It had to be the reason. Exhaustion from her wild thoughts and the aches in her body threatened to claim her soon and return her to a dark slumber. But then Ameri drew closer to her and placed a gentle hand under her chin.

"There's something else not many know about Fairests," Ameri said.

"And what is that?" Sadon cocked his head to the side.

"Like every Soother has a kingdom in line with their sooth, a Fiisen to the fiery kingdom of Liiyes, the Aeran to the air kingdom of Cardia, so does a Fairest. Theirs would be Fairlaana, the Kingdom of Fair Lands, the Holy Lands, and the rarest stone of the realm."

"The rarest stone?" Dana questioned.

"Amethyst," Ameri said. "A stone of a radiant purple, also said to be the color of a Fairest's eyes."

Mageia shuddered, unable to move as the woman spoke. She slid her chin from the woman's fingers, and fresh tears streamed down her cheeks. Guilt for not thinking about the prince's theory stirred awake in her soul. She felt their eyes shifting to her. She closed her eyes in utter disappointment.

If what you mad people say is true, then why do I feel nothing but pain and scorn instead of magic? She wanted to say, but kept her dry mouth shut. Why haven't the gods freed me from this horrific death?

The door unbolted, and the watchman poked his head in. "Aye, get away from her!" he demanded.

Ameri stood her ground. The watchman entered with his hand on the hilt of his sword. "No one goes near the witch."

"She's bleedin' all over and exhausted. She needs aid," Ameri declared like a queen.

"She'll get aid when it's time for the parade," he grumbled. "For now, let her rot there."

"We are the Sacred Seven," Ameri said firmly. "We will be offerings to the gods. We should be respected and cared for hand and foot."

"Ha! You fool yourself. Sit your ass down and leave her alone."

"If you won't take her down, then I will," she said. Ameri went to the rope tied to the bedpost and tried to pry it apart.

"Hey, stop it! I order you!" The watchman began unsheathing his sword.

Don quickly approached and tried untying the other side. Eventually, they succeeded and carefully helped Mageia lower her arms.

"I said stop!" The watchman edged closer and closer with his sword.

Another guard poked his head in to see about the commotion just as Sadon, at least three heads taller than him, left his bed. He swiftly took the watchman's weapon arm and gave his hand a nasty twist. The man yelped in pain, only for Sadon to swing him about and punch him square in the face. The sword clattered across the floor, joining the warning call of the guard at the door.

Boots thundered towards the room from the hallway. Two new guards joined their comrades, and they entered, unsheathing their swords. Sadon shoved his captured guard to the floor. He turned, searching for the sword, only for everyone to realize Dana had silently swept across the room and grabbed it. The brave girl stood tall and strong with the sword aimed at the guards.

"Now, now, girl, put the weapon down before you hurt yourself," the lead guard said.

Dana was speechless until she spoke with forced strength. "Mageia needs assistance now!" She demanded.

They glanced at Mageia, who was trembling and near to fainting or to a relieving death.

"You are all fools to care about this Strange," the guard sneered, lowering his sword.

"No. You are all fools for not caring about this Strange." Dana chuckled menacingly enough to send chills up a lion's spine.

The guard's face relaxed, and he gestured for his men to lower their weapons. "Fine then. I'll send someone in only if you hand over that sword."

"No. I'll hold on to this," she said, then aimed it at the fallen watchman's throat, "until you do as you say."

Don broke into a laugh of surprise and respect for the girl. The guard nodded and motioned for a guard to collect their fisican who was on site.

Ameri relaxed just a bit, passed Sadon a bright smile and said to him. "I guess you have a heart, after all."

A/N.

Hey there! I hope you are enjoying this craziness. 

Thank you for reading! Have a lovely day! 

LeQuita

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

278K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...