Life I Left Behind (A Daryl D...

By Aint_It_Fun

Charlie Asher has stayed true to her small town roots, despite her new big city life. All that changes though... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Author's Note- Important Stuff
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Author's Note
It's Me!

Chapter Fifty-Three

24.1K 645 303
By Aint_It_Fun

Author's Note:

Hi, it's me again and I know you are all shocked because I'm updating LILB already! I'm trying to make this a regular thing again, you know? Because leaving you guys hanging for months made me feel endlessly guilty. So here's the next chapter! I don't have much to say except that there is some smut towards the end. Sorry for the spoiler, but I'm trying to warn anyone who might be offended or feel uncomfortable. I'm normally not a smut writer at all, but it just sort of happened and I left it in. If you're offended by smut, then just skip over it. I promise I won't be offended if you also promise not to be offended. Okay that's all...enjoy! And thank you again for all your love! I read each and every one of your comments and It means the world to me! 
​​​

-Nikki

-----

Charlie

We rolled closer to the gates and I saw two figures pulling them open so we could drive through. When we finally rolled to a stop in front of the cell block, the SUV door was thrown open and I saw Carol’s worried face, Carl at her side. “Oh, thank god. Thank god. They’re okay.” She was muttering quickly, although I wasn’t sure if it was more for herself or for Carl.

She helped Maggie get Glenn out of the car, enveloping both of us in a warm, motherly hug that almost brought me to tears. I was even more surprised when I felt Carl’s arms lock around my waist, looking up at me with a huge smile. I ran my hand over his head, his hair soft and feathery. My knees felt weak with relief and utter happiness, although there was still a dark hole inside me that was very much aware that Daryl wasn’t here.

Gabe clung close to my side, looking nervous as we all headed into the cellblock together, Carl trotting along next to us and looking curiously up at Gabe. When we were finally inside, and I saw Herschel and Beth with baby Judith in her arms, I realized I was crying. Herschel gripped me tight and his beard felt scratchy as he kissed my cheek. There was a lot of laughter and a lot of happy tears as we all hugged and I felt a light on inside me as I realized how these people were my family and my home just as much as Gabe was.

Gabe, I suddenly thought. I whirled around to see he had been pushed to the side during all of this and was hanging back awkwardly by the door with Michonne, who looked like she could care less about any of this. I smiled at him and wrapped my arm around his shoulder, pulling him towards the group. Everyone got quiet; all eyes turned towards us and looked curious as hell.

“Everyone, this is my brother Gabe. Gabe, this is everyone.” I said, my voice echoing throughout the small room.

“Well, I’ll be damned.” Herschel was the first to break the silence, limping over to us on his crutches. He held his hand out and Gabe took it. “Nothing makes me happier than to see family reunited. This is your home too now, Gabe.”

Gabe’s eyebrows shot up in surprise then, as everyone welcomed him and Carol even gave him a big hug, squeezing him tightly. “Your sister has been a real blessin’ to me.” She said quietly, beaming at him.

“Wait, where’s Daryl?” Beth’s soft voice suddenly broke through the silence and shattered the peace that had begun to settle in the room.

I grew cold and it felt like there was an iron grip around my heart and someone was squeezing it tightly. I felt Rick’s gaze on me and our eyes met from across the room. “Merle was in Woodbury, too.” He finally said. “He went after him to make sure he was fine. Said he wasn’t stayin’, though, and that he’d be back in a few days.”

“Wow, Merle is alive?” I heard Carol say in disbelief.

“Missing a hand, but other than that he’s fine. He tried to help me…to help us.” I explained, looking over at Glenn. He didn’t meet my gaze, keeping his eyes on the floor.

“Well, I think we all know people can change.” Carol said kindly. “And don’t you worry, Daryl about had a fit when he realized what happened. He won’t keep you out of his sight for long.” She assured me and even though I knew she was right, I still hated that he wasn’t here.

“How about we get you and Glenn fixed up, maybe get you some food too. And I’m sure Gabe probably needs a place to stay.” Herschel was suddenly saying. “Beth, honey?” He turned towards his youngest daughter.

“Huh? Yes, daddy?” She said quickly, and I realized she had been staring shyly at Gabe this entire time.

“Help Gabe get settled in. I’m sure he and Charlie will have a lot to talk about.”

Her cheeks turned a soft shade of pink and I nudged Gabe to follow after her while Carol hurried off to find some food. “Go on. I’ll find you in a minute.” I said to him quietly. He nodded unsurely before turning to follow Beth. I watched him go, thinking for a minute how strange it was to see him here yet how incredibly happy it made me.

It didn’t take long for Hershel to clean the cuts on my face, telling me how lucky I was that I didn’t have any broken bones or need any stitches. I murmured my agreement, knowing it could’ve been much worse. Much, much worse. I knew, though I didn’t like thinking about it, that it was a miracle Glenn and I had made it out of that place alive. Herschel must’ve known I was impatient to spend time with Gabe, because after a few minutes he was chuckling and sending me off. I hurried towards the cell block, catching Beth on the way back and saying she had given him the empty cell next to mine. I took the steps two at a time, only slowing down when I passed my own room. I hovered outside the door, glancing inside it. Everything was just the way I had left it, which felt strange. I hadn’t been gone that long, yet sitting in that room tied to that wooden chair and waiting to find out whether I was going to live or die, it had felt like a lifetime.

I moved to the cell next to mine and glanced inside to see Gabe seated on the metal clock, looking around him uncertainly. He finally caught sight of me standing in the doorway and gave me a small smile. “It doesn’t make you feel weird to sleep in a prison cell?”

I let out a laugh, probably for the first time in days. I didn’t think I’d ever get to laugh again. I stepped into the cell and sank down onto the bed next to him. “It used to, but not anymore. This is home now. This is the safest I’ve felt in a long time.” I admitted.

“Concrete walls, steel doors…it’s a fortress.” He agreed.

I fiddled with a hole in my jeans as I looked at him closely, trying to see if he had changed at all in the time we’d been separated. He still looked exactly the same as I remembered, though, aside from the dark stubble starting to sprout on his chin. “How did you end up in that place?” I finally asked. The question had been burning in mind. “What happened after…after we got split up?” I had almost said ‘after I lost you’ but couldn’t bring myself to do it, especially now.

He let out a long sigh, settling himself back against the wall. “There were dozens of walkers, too many to fight off. After I told you to run, I somehow pushed my way through them and jumped inside the back of a delivery truck that was parked across the street.” He started, staring at the mattress. “I probably was in there for at least a day or two, trying to figure out what to do. Just when I was starting to get hopeless, I heard gunfire down the street. It drew most of them away and I finally was able to get out and make a run for it. The first place I went was home, then to Daryl’s house.”

I sighed, shaking my head. “You must have just missed me. That was the first place I went, too.”

I gave me a grim smile. “I figured. I knew you were alive, I’d seen you get away. So I tried to figure out where the hell you would go. I had no clue, though, so I just ended up wandering around on my own for a while…I was going through a town trying to find supplies when the Governor picked me up.” He said this bitterly, like the words had a bad taste to them.

“The Governor.” I echoed hollowly, shaking my head.

“Yeah, I guess that should’ve been my first warning that the guy was bad news.” He frowned. “But the place seemed like a dream come true…it was like the world before all of this. I guess I got caught up. I’m sorry, Charlie. I should’ve kept looking for you.” He finished, his voice heavy.

“Don’t, Gabe. I-I thought you were dead.” I finally admitted, shaking my head. “I spent all this time believing that you had died that day. I’m the one who should be sorry.”

Gabe scowled at me before wrapping an arm around my shoulder and pulling me in. “If I would’ve been you, I would’ve thought the same damn thing. No more blaming ourselves then. Okay? It’s pointless…considering we’re both alive and together.”

I nodded in agreement. “Okay.”

“I’m glad you found Daryl, though. I can’t think of anyone better to take care of you in an apocalypse.” He said quietly.

I felt my cheeks grow red, although I knew he was right. “You know, when Daryl and I first saw each other again he almost shot me with his crossbow.”

To my surprise, Gabe laughed. “I bet that’s a good story.”

“It is.” I said, catching myself smiling as I thought about the day Daryl had found me hiding in a tree. Who the hell would’ve thought it’d lead to this?

“He cares a lot about you. I just want you to know that if you’re with him, I’m okay with that.” He said suddenly. “Seriously. There are worse people you could have ended up with.”

“You always used to say he was a redneck.” I mumbled.

“Yeah, but come on…everyone makes fun of a redneck until the apocalypse.” Gabe said. I looked up at him to see he was grinning.

I elbowed him in the side. “Shut up.”

“No, but seriously. I’m glad you’re okay, but it’s even better that you’re okay and that you’re happy.” He said quietly, his voice suddenly serious again.

I gave him a small smile. “Thanks, Gabe.” I let my head rest against his shoulder again as we fell back into silence, thinking about when we were kids and all the times Daryl had been there not only for me, but for Gabe too. I specifically remembered a time when Gabe had fallen trying to ride his bike and Daryl had seen him from the road, stopped his truck and scooped Gabe up in his arms to carry him up to the house. Gabe was probably too young to remember things like that, but I did and couldn’t help but think that even though the world was a messed up, shitty place, I was glad that Daryl and I were in it together.

At some point in time, I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew, Gabe was shaking me awake. “Charlie, get up.” He whispered loudly.

I groaned and rolled over onto my back, blinking open my eyes. I had quick moment of confusion, wondering where the hell I was. I felt the stiff mattress underneath my back, though, and saw the bars of the cell door across the room. I was tangled up in a blanket and realized Gabe must have let me have the bed and slept somewhere else. “Why didn’t you kick me out?” I mumbled sleepily, sitting up.

He shrugged. “I wasn’t tired, I’ve been downstairs with everyone else.” He said quickly. His eyes were flicking nervously towards the door. Light was drifting in from the windows. It was morning already.

“What’s wrong, Gabe? You look worked up.” I asked, running a hand through my hair.

“Daryl’s back.” He said quietly. I almost fell out of the bed trying to untangle myself from the sheets and stand up. “Wait, wait, wait!” Gabe stepped in front of me, putting his hands on my shoulders.

“What? What the hell’s wrong?” I felt my heart plummet at his expression and a thousand different horrifying thoughts flashed through my head. “Oh my god…is he hurt? He’s hurt isn’t he?”

“What? No! No, that’s not it.” Gabe assured me. “He has Merle with him, and some other girl from Woodbury. Glenn is pissed. Rick doesn’t seem too happy either.”

“What?” I asked, both eyebrows shooting up. I pushed past Gabe, heading for the common area. Daryl was crazy for trying to bring Merle here. From what I’d heard from some of the others, he wasn’t exactly welcome. I hurried down the steps, the metal clanging loudly underneath my feet. I could hear Gabe right behind me. I pushed open the barred door to the common area and stopped dead in my tracks at the strange scene in front of me.

Maggie had her arms around Glenn, holding him back. He looked livid. Rick stood partially in front of him, whether to keep him from attacking or from being attacked I couldn’t tell. Merle and his brother were facing everyone else, a woman with dark hair between them with one hand on Merle’s chest.

“…I’m just asking you to give us a chance. Daryl and I can both keep an eye on Merle. If you still don’t like it in a few days, we’ll go.” She was saying, her voice soft but firm. Her features were sharp, almost severe looking, but in an unconventionally beautiful sort of way. The slight slant of her eyes made her look almost exotic and I wondered who she was and what the hell she was doing with the Dixon brothers.

“We should take a vote on it.” Rick suddenly said, glancing behind him at the rest of us. “All in favor of giving Merle a chance, raise your hand.”

I looked around me, surprised when Carol was the first to raise her hand. Carl was next, followed by everyone except Maggie, Glenn, and T-Dog. I suddenly realized Rick was looking at Gabe and I, waiting for our vote. I slowly raised my hand in the air and Gabe followed my lead. I glanced at Daryl to his arms cross over his chest, while his brother looked smug about the number of votes he was getting.

“Really, Charlie?” I heard Glenn suddenly hissing at me. I turned to look at him to see was giving me a hurt expression. Like I purposely voted for Merle to stay to hurt his feelings.

“Glenn, you have to understand…Merle is Daryl’s brother. I’ve known him since I was a kid.” I explained hastily. “I know he can be…extreme, but I also know he has some good in him. Let’s give him a chance. Everyone deserves a second chance.” I felt a pair of eyes on me then and glanced across the room to see Daryl watching me. I wondered if he was also thinking about the second chance we had been given.

“Whatever.” Glenn mumbled. He turned on his heel and limped from the room, followed by both T-Dog and Maggie.

“Thank you.” The dark haired woman was saying earnestly, looking at Rick. She shot a look at Merle who rolled his eyes before clearing his throat and surprising the hell out of all of us by mumbling a low ‘thanks, I guess’. I was immediately struck by the feeling that this was his…girlfriend? Lady friend? What would I call someone who willingly chose to get romantically involved with Merle? I wrinkled my nose. Clearly she was someone important if Merle listened to her.

“We’ll get you set up with some rooms then.” Rick said, nodding towards the cell block.

I watched as the woman’s lip curled up in a small smile. “Just one room.” She said, which made my assumption concrete. I could tell Rick was also surprised by this, the look on his face blatantly obvious as the rest of the room grew quiet.

“I’m Charlie.” I said, stepping towards her and extending my hand.

She gave me a grateful look as she shook my hand. “Harlow.” She introduced herself. She tilted her head to side as she looked at me. “I’ve heard a little bit about you from Merle…although he always just describes you as being Daryl’s little neighbor friend. Clearly, you’ve grown up since then.”

I laughed. “A little bit, yeah.” I could see Daryl standing off to the side behind her, in deep conversation with Merle. My eyes lingered on him a second longer before looking back at Harlow. I desperately wanted to disappear with Daryl and be alone for a little while. I felt like we deserved that much at least.

“Thank you, though. For saying that about Merle.” Harlow was suddenly saying, her voice growing quiet. “I know that he can be a little…unpredictable sometimes. You know that, you’ve known him for years. But I promise you, he’s different now. He’s not so rough.”

I nodded, understanding more than she knew. “I get it, Daryl’s complicated too.”

She smiled at me before turning and grabbing Merle by the hand. “Come on…let’s see if we can find someone to clean you up.”

Merle smirked at me as they trailed past and then I was left looking at Daryl. He gave me a half smile as I stepped closer and wrapped my arms around his neck, drawing him closer to me.

“I swear to god, Dixon, you better be done leaving me.” I muttered in his ear.

He chuckled. “I promise ya’, it ain’t happenin’ anymore.”

I pulled back and frowned as I took in his face. I hadn’t noticed earlier, but there was cut on his forehead. “When that did happen?” I asked.

Daryl shrugged. “Probably from Merle. Gotta few good swings in ‘fore you all showed up.”

“Merle actually hit you? In the arena?” I asked.

“He had to, Charlie. Understand? We had to fight otherwise we woulda both been killed right on the spot.” He said under his breath.

I let out a sigh. “Maybe you should let Herschel take a look at that.”

To my surprise, he shook his head and leaned closer. “All I wanna do right now is get ya’ alone.” His blue eyes had a wicked glint on them that made me feel woozy.

I felt my cheeks flush and turned to look over my shoulder, relieved to see that Gabe had been hijacked by Beth, who talking to him animatedly about something. I looked back at Daryl and my stomach fluttered when I saw that familiar smirk on his lips.

“Is this the part where we sneak off like a couple of teenagers?” I asked, perking an eyebrow.

“You bet your ass it is. Come on, girl.” He drawled, grabbing my hand and leading me out of the common area and back towards the cell block.

I kept my eyes on the ground, watching Daryl’s boots while simultaneously trying to hide the huge grin I was wearing. We went up the staircase and I was sure we were headed to his cell until he walked right past it and led me further into the prison, down a narrow corridor.

“Where are we going?” I asked curiously.

“Don’t know!” Daryl called back, giving me a grin before turning back around. We took a few more sharp turns before coming to a hall, dimly lit by a barred window at the end. There were several doors that lined the concrete wall. Daryl pushed it open with his shoulder, peering inside before suddenly tugging me in after him and slamming the door behind us. It was a small, square room with bare, white colored counters lining the wall. On the opposite side of the room was one small window and a white cot pushed up against the wall underneath it.

“Looks like an infirmary.” I said as I turned, surveying the small space with mild curiosity. “Do you think-“

The rest of the words died in my throat as Daryl’s lips crashed against my own. I stumbled back a few steps, hitting the metal door behind me. I felt his hands on my hips, his fingers digging into my skin as I forgot about anything and everything I had been trying to say as my back pressed against the door. My hands clutched the front of his shirt, our mouths moving together in a heated frenzy. His hands slid down my thighs before climbing back up and shimmying up my shirt. My head felt like it was swimming, unable to form any sort of coherent thought except for much I wanted Daryl.

Before I could stop myself my fingers were fumbling with the buttons on the front of his shirt, shakily undoing one after the other until I pushed it off his shoulders and it fell to the floor. My hands slid over the strong, sinewy muscles of his arms and over his chest and stomach, his skin hot underneath my fingers. I pulled away from him, trailing a line of kisses from his neck down to his chest, my hands gripping his waist tightly. I heard him let out a frustrated groan before he was pressing me against the door again and capturing my lips in a rough kiss.

I gasped against his mouth in surprise when I felt his hands tugging on the button of my jeans before pulling them to my knees, and leaving me bare from the waist down. Both of his arms wrapped around me as he lifted me from the ground in one quick motion, carrying me across the room and setting me down on the long, white counter. He stood in between my knees, giving me a smirk that almost set me over the edge. His movements were quick, almost impatient, as he hurried to do undo the button on his own jeans before they dropped to the floor.

My head fell against his shoulder, squeezing my eyes shut tightly as I felt him slide inside me. I bit my lower lip, but a quiet moan of anticipation escaped. His arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer to the edge of the counter, his other hand resting on the wall next to my head. I dug my fingers into his waist as his buried his face into crook of my neck, his lips gliding down over my collar bone as his hips rocked back and forth in a steady, even rhythm. I slid my hands over his back, pulling him even closer as I felt the hard muscles underneath his skin. I could feel the scars that marred his back underneath my fingertips and remembered a time when he used to refuse to let me look at him, ashamed. I still didn’t think he believed me when I said he was the most perfect thing I’d ever laid eyes on.

My body let out an involuntary shiver when I heard him growling my name in my ear, his voice a deep, husky whisper. I pressed my mouth hard against his, his tongue sliding over my lower lip.  His hands were suddenly gripping both my thighs as he picked me up from the counter and the next thing I knew my back was pressed against the cot. He was moving against me with an intense urgency and I knew I was close when I felt a sudden tug in the pit of my stomach. My fingernails began to dig into his skin, my breath coming in uneven pants. I felt another flash of heat and I couldn’t stifle the cry that left my lips as I shuddered underneath him, pushing my head back against the mattress.

I felt Daryl’s warm breath on my neck as he shivered, and I could feel tiny little goose bumps forming on the skin of his back as he finished. He collapsed on top of me and I pressed my lips to the top of his head, his hair damp with sweat. The only sound was our heavy breathing as we laid tangled up in each other, trying to catch our breaths. I trailed my fingers down his back. He shifted slightly, rolling onto his side with his hand draped across my middle. His eyes bore into me, speaking volumes even though it was quiet.

 I took a deep breath, my pulse still pounding underneath my skin. “I love you, Daryl.” I said quietly, my voice a little more than a shaky whisper.

He cupped my face in both his hands and my fingers curled around his wrists as he pressed his lips to mine again, kissing me deeply and slowly. He pulled away, his blue eyes bright and alive. “Took ya’ long enough.” He teased. I opened my mouth to protest but he gave me another kiss. “I love you, too. Always have.” He said gruffly.

I was grinning stupidly up at him and wondering how the hell it was possible to feel so giddy and happy and amazing while the world outside the concrete walls of the prison was absolute shit. All I knew was that I loved Daryl more than I’d ever loved anything in my entire life and the way he was looking at me made me literally want to melt into a puddle at his feet and those were words I never, ever thought I would ever use for anyone.

He leaned over and brushed his lips against mine, sending another wave of shivers over me. He gave me a long look when he finally pulled away. “I hope you know I ain’t ever lettin’ you outta my damn sight again.” He suddenly murmured.

My pulse jumped and I was starting to think it wouldn’t ever work normally around Daryl. “Fine by me.” I said quietly, brushing my lips over his shoulder. “You think they’re going to send someone to find us?” I asked finally, after the quiet had settled in the room once again. A playful smile was tugging at my lips.

He smirked. “I sure as hell hope not. I ain’t done with you yet.” He said, his hand on my waist as he pulled me into his chest. I let out a quiet laugh as I nuzzled into his neck, feeling his lips on my temple and for a second, it felt like the entire world could fall apart and everything would be okay as long as I was here.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

823K 22.3K 164
"When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth." Ever since the world turned, all Lily did was hide. She didn't know how to fight...
213 21 15
This is a daryl x reader fanfic My first language isnt english so sorry for the mistakes, it is my first fanfic/story writing experience, it can be...
347K 9.3K 99
Semi-mature. Completed. Nate's a teenage Aussie tomboy. Who grew up in a country town with 4 big brothers and parents who adore her as much as she do...
8.4K 595 18
Semi-mature. Book Three picks up fourteen months after the last chapter of Home Is Your Heartbeat. Nate is an Aussie girl who was stranded in Georgia...