Crown of Beauty and Vengeance

By writeon27

(Book 2 in the fantasy series The Crowns) The land of Escarral has changed in the past year for Alyvia with h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Daughter of Tide and Illusion Description

Chapter 24

1.7K 177 24
By writeon27

Chapter 24

Lyv needed to breathe through her hatred, through her anger, and through her annoyance because of the relationship that Jai and Roshan had formed right under her nose. She understood why Thia was always annoyed with Gideon since Erly loved him.

Two weeks had passed after the crown prince and her dragon met...and Roshan wanted to see Jai every day. And though he'd grown, he still regularly landed in the courtyard of the palace. Lyv had to give him a good talking to, which also included reasons why he shouldn't like Jai so much. Of course, he didn't listen.

It didn't help that she was working with Jai to make sure his magic was back completely. She'd gotten used to him being unconscious in the infirmary, not up and talking and watching her. He'd moved back into his own rooms, but they always seemed to be near one another. And she hated to say it...but she was starting to grow used to his company, even though he was quiet most of the time they were around each other.

Now, he had followed her and Gideon out to the Branvon estate. While Gideon was off flying with Erly, Jai was playing around with Roshan and Posy. Roshan was on his own break after his flight training where they'd put weighted bags in the saddle to simulate a rider. He was doing good, but tired out a lot faster. It would take a few more weeks before Lyv even tried flying with him.

So now, the dragon was sprawled out on his back, the saddle in the grass a few feet away and his wings outstretched, and Jai and Posy were giving him a good belly rub for the good job he was doing. Lyv and Thia were sitting on a blanket on the ground, watching them and looking out for Erly and Gideon. They were also watching for Destan and Laurel, who were supposed to get back to Ayveri that afternoon.

"You know Destan and Laurel will be excited to see Jai," Thia said to her. "I'm surprised they didn't come back after receiving the letter from the king."

"And go against their father's orders? He specifically told them to stay in Waiter for their assigned time. But with the information Jai gave him about the fallen Escarrali king being in Oria, he is sending Michel there instead of going to Blackloch as well."

"But what is he going to do about Blackloch? They're still going up and down the coast terrorizing and raiding villages, especially up in Asturia."

Lyv shrugged and tightened her cloak around her. "I'm not sure. I hope he sends Jai for a few weeks."

Thia eyed her carefully. "What is it about him that you hate so much?"

"I could say the same thing to you about Vandor."

Her friend held her tongue after that.

Autumn was definitely almost in Dalcaine with the chill that started sweeping through in the late afternoons. It was one of Lyv's favorite seasons and she couldn't wait to see the celebration in full swing. Everyone in Ayveri was preparing for the equinox celebration and Lyv saw all the warm-colored decorations going up – red, orange, and yellow balloons and streamers, pumpkins, other gourds, and ears of corn being hauled in from the surrounding farming lands, bright red apples being sold as is or being baked into pies that filled the city with sweet scents.

A loud roar from Erly up above announced her and Gideon's arrival...but also two others. As Erly landed in the space beside Roshan, who was still rolling around in the grass, the sound of pounding hooves came closer. Before they even came to a stop, Destan and Laurel jumped off their horses just as soon as they were close enough and both bolted for Jai.

Jai was smiling before they even got to him. Lyv had to hold her breath as she stared at him, just as she had to anytime he had in the last two weeks. But then his brother and sister were there...and tackled him to the ground.

"Well, it's good to see you two again, too," Jai laughed from under them.

"It's good to see you breathing," Laurel cried. "Gods above, Jai! I'm surprised Mother didn't kill you for almost dying!"

"And if you ever do anything so damn stupid, I'll kill you myself," Destan finished.

"I missed you, too."

Lyv and Thia had just made their way over when the princes and princess got up, brushing themselves off grinning at each other. Destan turned that smile to Lyv then and rushed forward to grab her up around her waist and pressed his nose into her hair.

"Well, hello," she laughed at his public display of affection.

"Hi," he said, pulling back to grin at her. But then he was hugging her again. "And thank you. Thank you for saving him and for not letting himself get almost killed again over these last three weeks we've been gone."

"He's been a pain in my ass, actually. I wish your father would have let you come home as soon as he was up so you could deal with him and I didn't have to."

Destan only laughed and kissed the side of her head. Lyv had caught a glance of Jai over his shoulder. The crown prince looked a little strained or like he'd gotten hit in the stomach with Roshan's tail. He was trying not to see how close his brother and Lyv had become over his time in Eld, even though he knew about them. He had yet to see it in person.

Laurel noticed it as well but didn't interpret the look's meaning the same as Jai. "It's strange seeing him act that way with a female, isn't it?" she asked him, smiling. She wasn't even trying to talk quietly. "No quick ruts for those two..."

"Laurel, shut it," Destan told her, letting go of Lyv but keeping hold of her hand.

But Jai forced out a laugh, looking away. "At least we know he's capable of thinking with the head that's on his shoulders and not the one in his pants."

***

Forget wanting Destan and Laurel back because she wanted to get rid of Jai. Now that they were, he was officially part of their little group, which included training with Eamon, hanging out with Erly and Roshan, and going out for dinner and drinks at the Raven.

Destan had grown more confident in his subtle hints at how he felt about her as well, like holding her hand or keeping close to her side and even kissing her forehead or cheek whenever they left each other's company. He never tried to kiss her lips, though. And whenever she knew he was thinking of doing it, his eyes would drop to Amory's ring on her finger and he would stop himself.

Of course, everyone noticed but never commented on it...at least when they were together. Who knew if the males had nagged Destan about it? Thia and Laurel definitely did Lyv. Laurel was going on and on about wedding dates and Thia was wondering if she could get a bowtie that fit around Roshan's neck.

It never helped when Destan would sneak the two away from the others to walk the streets of Ayveri or through the palace gardens. But as he held her hand all the while they walked, she would look over at him and trace every one of his features with her eyes.

If she'd met him before Amory, she had no doubt in her mind she'd be just as smitten with him as he with her. What she needed to do was tuck Amory away permanently in the one corner of her heart and soul and allow Destan to have his own place there. It had been over a year now. It was time.

By the time the autumn equinox celebration came, Lyv was determined to keep herself from thinking of past loves. She even took off Amory's ring...for all of one minute before slipping it back on after she started panicking. That would take more time than she'd anticipated.

The celebration was exactly as Lyv had imagined, including the temple service on the morning of the first day that lasted for hours. Destan joked with her that the week-long celebration after was a gift to everyone for having to suffer through prayers and sermons and singing. Lyv found it beautiful, though, especially since she'd never really experienced it back home in Escarral. Of course, they had temple services for the solstices and equinoxes, but never a celebration afterward. Maybe a banquet, but nothing that lasted for days.

And it started as soon as Lyv, Destan, Gideon, Thia, Laurel, Jai, Camilla, and Soren stepped out of the temple.

Lyv tried not to act like a child after having their first bit of chocolate and sweets, bouncing around and wanting to touch everything in sight.

She completely failed.

There was absolutely too much to look at, but Lyv took it all in. She'd seen everyone setting up in the days prior, but now that the day was here...

Balloons and streamers draped over the roads between the buildings. There were too many smells wafting through the air for Lyv to determine what they were, but it smelled divine. Booths were set up in front of shops, children were running through the streets with candied apples in hand and painted faces as they headed for the street that was solely set up with games, and everyone had canvas bags for everything they were going to buy.

"Get ready because I am about to need an advance on next month's salary," Lyv warned Destan, and then tugged him by the hand to...well, everywhere.

Of course, they went to the face painting booth after playing a few rounds of games. While Destan politely declined, Lyv got mermaid scales painted in perfect detail around her eyes by a brown-eyed Fae male, complete with a shimmering finishing powder. Thia had pushed Gideon down on the stool before he could even protest and was painted up with red dragon scales, exactly like Erly. Thia was grinning the whole time as Gideon glared at her.

But once the Fae female was done, Gideon's glare turned mischievous before he started to growl exactly like Erly did...and bolted for Thia. She ran away screaming and laughing down the street, trying to get away from him, but he caught her up and slung her over his shoulder without any hesitation. She was creatively cursing up a storm using words that really weren't curses since there were kids around.

"Anyone up for some food?" Gideon asked them all with Thia still slung over his shoulder. She was beating her fists on his back, but he was talking to them like nothing was happening. "I am kind of hungry, especially since that temple service lasted so much longer than they said it would."

"Definitely," Laurel grinned, threading her arm through Jai's, who was smiling slightly at the scene. Jai really hadn't said much, but that was just fine with Lyv. "Then we have to get some of the apple pie cheesecake Sherine makes for the equinox. It's to die for..."

While the six of them started down the street toward one of the restaurants that was now open for lunch, Destan and Lyv followed more slowly. He'd put his arm around her waist and hers around his and they were walking side by side, barely noticing the stares and smiles as they passed.

"You look beautiful in that dress. I don't think I ever told you that this morning," he told her.

She looked down at the burgundy dress she'd brought over from Escarral, though she'd covered it with an embroidered gray jacket because of the chill. It was the same one she'd bought in the village she'd gone to so many times back in Escarral...the same village her mother had burned to the ground and all its people killed or locked in prison after they rebelled against her.

"Just something I brought from home. But thank you for the compliment. You look handsome yourself."

"This old thing?" he laughed. He was back in the red jacket he loved so much. "And I literally mean old thing. I got it over a hundred years ago."

Lyv laughed, rolling her eyes. "Sometimes I forget how old everyone is compared to me."

"Speaking of how old you are..." Destan smiled brightly. "Jai let it slip that your birthday's next week...and that Mother is already planning a celebration dinner for you."

"And I want to kill him for that, too."

"You want to kill him no matter what."

"Because he's a pain in the ass. One I had to deal with for three weeks while you were away."

"At least he's sober. I can't even count on one hand how many times that's happened in the last year and a half when he's been home." He looked down at his boots as they walked then. "Anything happen while we were gone, though?"

"Other than us fighting?"

But it was after she said it that she realized what he was asking, why he was suddenly so hesitant.

So, she pulled him to a stop and let their little group continue on without them. Jai was the only one to look back, but Lyv didn't notice when she was focusing on his younger brother.

"Nothing happened, Destan," she told him, reaching up to brush his hair back from where it had fallen across his forehead.

"Good, because he knows how I feel about you."

"And how is that?" she smiled. "A little more than just the palace healer?"

"Just a little," he grinned back, pulling her against his chest. With one hand on the small of her back, his other was playing with the curled ends of her hair.

Though Lyv knew she wasn't ready to kiss him fully, she still leaned up and kissed his cheek before wrapping her arms around his neck. Closing her eyes, she tried to make herself feel something...and it was there, but small. But with her realizing it was time to move on, it grew just a little bigger.

So, when Destan pulled back and pressed his forehead against hers, her breath caught in her throat as those russet eyes gazed into hers. She wasn't the only one holding their breath. The dozens of people around them were, too.

"So, Audry Rey, would you mind if I took you to dinner tomorrow night, just the two of us?"

"Our little group has been interfering with the two of us being alone, hasn't is?"

"It has. It's not so little anymore, huh?"

"No, it isn't," she smiled. "But I would love to."

***

It was a good thing Lyv didn't have to pay rent living in the palace because almost all of her money had been spent. She didn't regret it a bit as Gideon and Destan helped carry her things in, including the canvas bag that was solely for Posy.

The pixie had stayed behind since she slept in that morning and was still tired out from playing and flying with Roshan the day before. But when Lyv started smiling at her as she went over to her bookcase, Posy perked up and started clapping excitedly when she saw what Lyv had bought her. She got her new outfits, heaver bedding for the colder winter months to come, some of her very own books that were small enough for her to flip through, and a deep blue flower.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning," Destan told her as she walked him to the door.

"Do you plan on spending the whole day with me then if you're also taking me to dinner?"

"Of course," he laughed, and kissed her cheek, lingering just a little longer than he normally would have.

After he left, Lyv turned back around with a slight smile on her face, only to have it drop when she saw the grimace on Gideon's.

"What?" she asked, walking over to him.

"Another letter from your mother, apparently," he told her, holding out the folded, wax-sealed parchment to her.

Her mother hadn't been as bold as she had the first time with the Escarrali seal. This wax was simply stamped with a circle to ensure it wouldn't break on its own during transport. Lyv tore it open as Posy landed on one shoulder and Gideon read over her other.

Daughter,

I hope this letter finds you well.

The rumors of the new palace healer in Ayveri has finally reached Escarral. Of course, everyone knows its you.

But those I have keeping an eye on you...well, you continue to capture the affections of the wrong prince, though the other is seemingly falling for you as well. I have been told he's been quiet since his brother has come back. Do not make me silence the other just to make sure you know who you are supposed to be after.

All my love,

Mother

"She's not at all subtle, is she?" Gideon commented with a grimace. "Gods above, I hate your mother."

"And you know she would get rid of Destan just so I would focus on Jai," Lyv whispered, folding up the parchment again. "Just look at what she did to Amory."

Gideon was silent then, swallowing hard as his eyes turned glassy and he read over the message again.

"We need to find the eyes she has in Ayveri. No one has been..."

A knock on the door made them both look up. Gideon was the one to go open it, especially with what they were just discussing. Hopefully, whoever was on the other side of the door hadn't heard.

"Back so soon?" Gideon asked Destan, who had only left them a few minutes prior.

"Yes, but I'm here for you," he nodded. "Father caught me and Jai as we were walking past the council chamber. He wants to see the three of us. Now."

"Is everything all right?" Lyv asked, eyebrows furrowing as she walked toward them.

"I don't really know. He didn't see panicked, so that's at least a good sign."

Gideon looked back at her, worried. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Of course," she said, waving a hand. "I'm going to wash up and head for bed. A long day of shopping has worn me out."

"I'll be back in a little while."

He gave her another look before following Destan out, closing the door behind them.  

***Hey, guys!  Sorry for the extended wait!  A lot has been going on the last few days with school and life in general, so I haven't had much time to write.  

So how did you like the chapter?   And what do you think the king wants to talk with him, Gideon, and Jai about?  

You know I love hearing from you guys, so comment and vote!  

Happy reading! 

- Ansley***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.8K 713 20
The last Queen of Magic was evil.. hated all of her peers, yelled at everyone who helped her, and even ended up killing her allies. But another Mage...
11.5K 1K 48
FREE STORY (with paid bonus content) Kingdom politics are a complicated matter, especially for Kat Devieux who is engaged to the rightful king of Iri...
559 81 23
A dragon. A magical land. "Could you be the sunshine to this darkness?" The land Srishti Diora always believed to be her home was blessed with a curs...
1.6K 264 47
OUT ON AMAZON AND BARNES & NOBLE When the Faerie Queen is out for blood ... danger lurks everywhere. Wren Carezby has always lived with h...