Clarkesville (Chandler Riggs)

By chandlersberries

When 14 year old Riley Ghent has to leave her home in Connecticut to move to California, something goes wrong... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
hi there

Chapter 26

1.3K 65 3
By chandlersberries

lol exciting chapter ahead :-))

Thank you guys so much for 2k, I love you for loving my writing.

I hope you guys like my new cover. The photo in the middle is actually my own, and that's me as well, wearing Riley's black sweater.

^that should be an icon 😂 haha enjoy this chapter.

-molly♡

------

What caught my attention most was when Sammy screamed and called Luke and I's names.

The first thing that I thought about was where I had placed my knife. I looked out onto the riverbed and luckily, my knife and gun were resting beside my pile of clothes.

Chandler and I began swimming violently toward the shore, with Luke and Brianna close behind us as we made our way torward Sammy who was baring her knife at the herd. They were getting a lot closer as we swam in.

"Grab your things and get to camp!" Luke shouted, mostly to Sammy but Brianna, Chandler and I followed his demand.

Finally, I climbed out of the water and sprinted to retrieve my clothing and weapons. I pulled my sweater over my bra, not bothering to put on my tank top. After all my clothes were on I snatched my weapons.

My knife was held in one hand and my gun pointed itself toward the approaching threat as I ran through the woods on the small path the five of us created.

Ahead I could see Luke carrying Sammy, with Brianna checking side to side behind them.

So where was Chandler?

"Chandler?" I screamed, stopping in my tracks. He wasn't in front of me, but I knew that something was going wrong when I heard shots ring out from the direction of the river.

I called his name once again, and sprinted back to the clearing where everything just completely changed.

"Chandler! What are you doing!"

When I leapt through the last couple of trees, he came into view. The walkers were piling into the water, but most of them ran through the trees alongside the direction of the river.

"Chandler we've got to go."

He looked at me with a fearful expression; his jaw tensed and his eyes blaring with that unique blue color.

No matter how hard I wanted to stare into them, my own eyes couldn't ignore the blob of black and brown and red mess that was getting closer every second we wasted. "C'mon!"

Chandler looked back to the walkers, and blinked his eyes shut for a moment. He made a despairing face and began running back to me, the walkers filling the spot where he had just stood.

He could have died just then.

"Chandler what were you thinking? You could have gotten killed, they were so close." I explained to him as we ran through the vines and bushes. But he didn't answer, instead he just held my hand and looked forward.

He didn't speak to me until after we arrived to camp.

Luke and Brianna were ecstatic as they packed their bags and ordered others to do the same. Of course, Vincent had the audacity to object and question the fact that their was a huge crowd of fast-moving walkers following us.

"Wait, boy. Who put you in charge?" He shouted.

Luke continued to stuff clothes into his and Daniella's bags while he snapped his head up at the man.

"I should ask you the same fucking question!"

Luke's words toward Vincent didn't surprise me one bit. If anything, I was shocked that he hadn't said that before.

"Now stop acting like such a Goddamn prick, and protect these people like how you're fucking supposed to!" There were multiple gasps from all those who were listening in, including Luke's mother.

"Lucas! Watch your mouth." Daniella snapped at him, letting go of Sean's arm.

"No." He sighed. I could tell he was hurt by the sight of her and Sean talking quietly again. "You're not going to tell me what to do anymore."

I wasn't smiling, but I was proud of Luke.

The look on her face was so appalling. Her mouth was open, her eyes were wide, and her cheeks were stained red.

It was hilarious on the inside.

I wondered how in just a few days Luke could go from a secretive Momma's Boy to the child who despised his mother.

"Let's go!" Bruno yelled to the rest of us who were too busy gathering their things while listening to the group's fight. Chandler and I needed to get out of here.

Freddy and Anna were clinging to Joy who was waiting for Vincent to help them get going. Craig was flipping out, shoving everything in sight into his business suitcase.

The others were running out of the campsite, including Daniella and Sean. She left Luke to fend for himself.

And I thought my mother was bad.

All of the sudden the now familiar sound of shuffling and growling grew into my earshot. I didn't know what to do.

"Riley!" I snapped out of my thoughts and turned back to Chandler. He was tugging on my arm and gesturing me to get going. Funny, how I was the one reminding him to realize what was happening at the moment.

My body's nerves were steaming, my thoughts were in slow motion, but I managed to nod my head and begin running before the walkers could get too close.

***

There were only four of us.

We ran for the longest distance, occasionally shooting down walkers as they passed. The tree leaves whipped my face, twigs clawed at my ankles and mosquitos bit my arms and legs. But most of all, the pain of losing that perfect moment made my heart want to crumble.

I guess it would have happened - when him and I left the people we were just starting to get attached to.

Leaving was what I was prepared for.

Not running out of such an unexpected 'evacuation.'

But soon enough, as the hours went by, I learned that what just happened would become a lot more often until we were so used to it.

Before my mother said that we were moving to California, and before this disaster happened, I would never of thought that I would know the drill of leaving behind my loved ones and moving on to the next part of my life.

As I spaced out once again, Chandler tried to cheer me up by shoving chips and water bottles at my face and hands.

"Riley, you have to eat. C'mon." I glared at him as he put about five cinnamon flavored pita chips onto a napkin, that was patterned with Christmas trees and a cartoon Santa Clause.

I rolled my eyes and nibbled on one of them. Chandler did the same after smiling the happiest smile he could fathom.

"It's gonna be dark in a few hours." Luke said flatly. "We should set up somewhere and try to clear the area to make a fire. We can take turns keeping watch."

I could tell how upset he was.

Neither of us saw which direction Brianna ran, and we didn't see anyone pick up Sammy.

None of us were crying at the fact.

Bruno was loading his massive army gun, and reorganizing his camouflaged back pack. Him and Jason were so military, the way they acted. But Jason wasn't with the four of us now.

Neither was Earl or Craig, Joy or Freddy, Anna, Vincent, Daniella, Sean.

And they were all just a phase that would soon be forgotten in a matter of weeks, thought about but never spoken of.

"Okay." Chandler spoke. He was clearly the calmest, even out of this emotionally unstable young boy, and a very quiet, bulky, young soldier.

"You kids get some rest. Not like I'll be able to fall sleep anyway." Bruno spoke up.

I nodded, Luke sighed, and Chandler wrapped his arm around my shoulders and set my head into the crook of his neck.

We didn't start a fire, but luckily Bruno was kind enough to spare the battery of his lantern so we could see what lurked near us at night.

Like we had done at the camp, Chandler and I used our extra sweatshirts to make an unsuitable pallet on the leaves and dirt. Luke laid out a small blanket for himself beside us, so the three of us kids could share the larger top one.

Bruno leant up against the trunk of a tree with the nuzzle of his gun pointed to the sky.

The image of these three guys protecting me helped me feel more comfortable with sleeping for a while.

But I couldn't keep out the monster who was called Tomorrow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 252 30
Charlie, a nineteen-year-old girl, has been on her own for five months during the zombie-apocalypse in America. She drives around Georgia in her old...
602 22 17
*Read my first book called "Germ" before reading this* After Drew Davis, a weak, immature twelve year old worrying about his popularity, turns into...
7.5K 314 50
TRIGGER WARNING 14 year old Chandler Russell has a hard life to say the least. His dad is a drunk who beats him, and his mom is too strung out on dru...
68K 2.3K 23
Shailee Carter is a well known teenage actress. She was currently working on a movie when her Mom told her she would be taking a break from acting. S...