The Two of Us

Από Hopemore

Sequel to 'The Best of Us' Khalid Fayad wants to marry Sabrina Khan. After making up with her and laying thei... Περισσότερα

Chapter 1 - The Proposal
Chapter 2 - The First Step
Chapter 3 - A Little Glimpse
Chapter 4 - Anything
Chapter 5 - Don't Break
Chapter 6 - Shadows
Chapter 7 - The Decision
Chapter 8 - The Right Choice
Chapter 9 - One Day
Chapter 10 - Ready
Chapter 11 - Girl Time
Chapter 13 - Trouble
Chapter 14 - The Truth Hurts
Chapter 15 - Rainy Days
Chapter 16 - Scars
Chapter 17 - Let Me Go
Chapter 18 - Don't Forget
Chapter 19 - Sweet Dreams
Chapter 20 - Whatever It Takes
Chapter 21 - Darkness
Chapter 22 - The Patient Ones
Chapter 23 - Hold On
Chapter 24 - God Knows
Chapter 25 - The Rumor Queen
Chapter 26 - Waiting For You
Chapter 27 - Betrayal of the Heart
Chapter 28 - Payback
Chapter 29 - Dark Dreams
Chapter 30 - Alright
Chapter 31 - So Be It
Chapter 32 - Reasons
Chapter 33 - The Agreement
Chapter 34 - The Phone Call
Chapter 35 - The Two of Us
Chapter 36 - Made It
Epilogue

Chapter 12 - Promise

18.2K 787 193
Από Hopemore

Chapter Twelve - Promise

Khalid chewed the inside of his cheek, as he stared at the clothes on his bed. He reached for a red tie, stopped and turned to a blue one. I should have asked Sabrina what color her dress would be today, he thought, mentally groaning. He knew her favorite color was blue though. Blue it is, he shrugged, picking up his blue tie and fixing it on. 

A few days ago, they'd gone over to Sabrina's house to read surat-al-Fathiha as it was a common Arab custom that marked the beginning of the marriage process. The local mosque's imam was there and a few friends were invited. Jamaal had tagged along too, probably just to see Emaan but Khalid couldn't care less. He basically stared at Sabrina the entire evening - very carefully as her dad was nearby. He remembered that she was wearing something scarlet as it made her eyes light with a playful fire, but he couldn't remember much about what she was wearing as he was too distracted by her face. He still remembered wanting to reach out and touch those soft lips. They'd looked so...he shook away the thought, guiltily.

I'm fantasizing over her lips. Oh my God, he thought incredulously.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I mean Im about to get married to her anyways, he argued.

You're so head over heels for her, a voice chanted in his head. 

So? he replied to himself, irritated.

He glanced into a mirror to make sure his hair looked good. He'd always had that brushed back, silky hair that could make any girl stop and stare as he ran a hand through it. He hoped it had some effect on Sabrina, but then again, she didn't care much for outer appearances...

As he polished up his dress shoes, he pondered over the effect she had on him. Never had a girl so forcefully jumped into his life and taken his breath away. He was in love with her from the beginning, the first glance, he dared to say. Ever since elementary, when she'd walked into the classroom and he laid eyes on her for the first time. She was stunning back then and even more so now. The day she'd hurt him by insulting his Arab roots was the closest he'd ever come to feeling utter betrayal. He'd never expected that from her. Never. 

But he couldn't blame her. He'd started it. He'd caused it. He'd basically set it up to happen. He'd broken the only promise he'd ever secretly made to her. That he'd never hurt her. 

But he did and she hurt him back. 

How cold it felt to have the love of your life stab you with your pride.

Khalid got up, checked the mirror one last time and hurried into the kitchen where his mother was busy on the phone, making last minute preparations. He checked the time. They still had an hour to get to Mahraja Banquet. He bit his lip just thinking about it. He sat down, and pulled out his phone to text Jamaal and get his mind off of things and settle the nervous flutter of butterflies in his stomach. His dad came in a few minutes later, grunted a greeting and sat down at the other end of the table.

Khalid was just about to pocket his phone when his dad cleared his throat.

"Listen, son." He began, sounding uncomfortable. "I just wanted to congratulate you and tell you to keep your head on. Don't mess this up, you hear?" 

Khalid narrowed his eyes and wondered what kind of person congratulated someone on their engagement day by telling them not to mess up. He decided to shrug it off.

"Uh, thanks. I wont." He replied.

His dad scoffed, as if to say 'sure you wont' but didn't say anything back. They spent the next fifteen minutes sitting in silence. Finally his dear mother walked in and declared with a joyful voice that it was time to go.

* * *

Khalid was sure his heart was going hammer its way out of his chest. He'd been to Arab engagements before and the couple getting engaged would walk in at the same time, hand in hand, but since Sabrina would never allow something like that, they'd all decided to do it the traditional Indian way which meant Khalid had to sit in the front and wait for her to show up. 

It was pure torture.

He shifted in his seat and stared at the entryway, located at the far end of the hall. People were still coming in, and he had to forcefully stop himself from craning his neck to see over their heads. He sat back and sighed, after what seemed like an eternity. To keep his mind off things, he scanned the hall, and noticed it was set up quite nice. He played with his cuff links, nodded and smiled whenever someone came up to congratulate him and wondered endlessly when Sabrina would arrive.

"Asalaamu'alaikum, bro!" Jamaal called out, walking over towards him. 

"Walaikum'asalaam!" Khalid replied, getting up and smacking Jamaal on the shoulder. "About time. I've been here forever." 

Jamaal laughed. "More like half an hour. You're just nervous about Sabrina, aren't you? Anxiously awaiting her arrival, hey?" 

"Well yeah." Khalid scoffed. "And besides the sooner she arrives, the sooner we can eat."

"Oh hey, uh. Have you seen Emaan?" Jamaal asked, trying to sound casual.

Khalid gave him a knowing look. "No, why?"

"Why?" Jamaal asked and looked away awkwardly. "Uh..I..just...had to. Uh. you know."

"No, I don't know. Do tell." Khalid said sweetly, batting his eyes.

"I hate you."

"Oh look there's Emaan!" Khalid said, glancing over his shoulder

"Where?!" Jamaal jumped, whipping around.

Khalid burst into laughter, clutching his stomach. Jamaal turned back to face him and glared at him, evilly. 

"I cant believe I fell for that." He grumbled.

They talked for a few more minutes, Jamaal trying extra hard to tease him about Sabrina. A few friends joined them, and they chatted for a little while. Khalid noticed that almost everyone was seated and a hushed whisper spread throughout the room. His mother came up and shooed away his friends and told him to sit down because Sabrina was about to arrive.

Khlaid's heart plummeted up his throat and he sat down on the comfy sofa where Sabrina would sit next to him. Near the entrance a few people were beginning to stand up and then she walked in. She was wearing a blue Indian dress which Khalid had no idea what it was called, but wow, it looked amazing. She looked amazing.

Khalid's mouth went dry as she walked up and glanced at him, behind long eyelashes. She was wearing make up, a first for her, he supposed because he'd never seen her with more than lip gloss on. She smiled, and he took a deep breath, making sure that enough oxygen was getting to his brain before he smiled back. She looked away, a small blush creeping up on her face and sat down next to him.

"Assalamu'alaikum." She greeted, shyly.

Khalid mumbled a reply and continued to stare at her face. A few cameras flashed, snapping pictures of them, and he turned, looking out into the hall. Everyone was laughing happily and talking and smiling. A few people were crowded around them, congratulating them and Sabrina and Khalid turned their attention away from each other to attend to them.

Khalid wasn't sure how much time had passed, but between a lot of picture taking and talking, everyone kind of backed off and his mother came up to him with the ring he'd picked out for Sabrina. It was a simple silver band with elegant designs and a tiny diamond. Since Sabrina would probably not want Khalid touching her, his mother put it on her finger and Sabrina smiled up at Khalid. He beamed as she put it on. 

"Its so pretty!" She gushed, holding her hand out and admiring it. 

After a lot more camera flashes and congratulating, it was finally time to eat and they were left alone for a while, while everyone piled up their plates. Someone else was getting them food, so while they waited they chatted.

"How're you?" Khalid asked.

"Pretty good." Sabrina replied, still not quite meeting his eye. "This dress is so heavy, though."

Khalid laughed and observed her dress. It did look rather weighed down by various ornaments and sparkling stuff. 

"Well, it looks nice on you. And so do you. I mean you look nice, not that you look nice on you." He stuttered. Ugh, what in the world did I just.

Sabrina glanced up at him with a sly smile. "Thanks. You look nice on you too."

Khalid laughed, grateful that he had someone like Sabrina by his side. Someone who could take an awkward situation and make it less awkward. Their food arrived and they both, pushed it around on their plates, taking a few bites. Khalid was too happy and nervous to eat and from the way Sabrina' wasn't paying much attention to the plate in front of her, he guessed she was as well.

Emaan and Leila sat down next to her during the meal and the three girls talked and laughed together. Khalid tried not to listen in and demand that Sabrina talk to him instead of her friends, but kept his thoughts to himself.

"Hey, you've barely touched your food." Jamaal exclaimed, popping up out of nowhere.

"Well, what do you want me to do? Stroke it?" Khalid grumbled, still put off that Sabrina was not paying him much attention.

Apparently she was because she turned to him and and laughed at his remark. He basked in the sound of her glorious laugh. 

"Hey...uh." Jamaal whispered, his eyes fixed on something across the room. "Why is Hiba here?"

"What?!" Khalid asked, nearly spitting out the food in his mouth. 

Sabrina and her friends looked over, confused. Jamaal gave them an innocent smile and grabbed Khalid's arm. "Excuse us, ladies."

He pulled Khalid out of his seat and the two men plunged into the throng of hungry guests. People smiled as he walked by and he smiled back while trying not to mentally freak out at his ex-girlfriend showing up at his engagement party. 

"Where is she?" Khalid demanded. "Why is she here?" 

"I dont know! Was she invited?" Jamaal asked.

"Of course not!" Khalid cried. "Why would-"

He stopped upon seeing Hiba, clad in a short pink dress, looking very out of place with way too much skin showing. She was staring at him as he approached, his eyes flashing.

"What are you doing here?" He asked venomously. 

"What?" She said, innocently. "I'm not allowed to go to my friend's engagement party?"

"Friend?" He scoffed.

"If we cant be more, at least we can be friends!" She explained.

"Uh. No." He sated. "I don't want you here. I don't want you in my life."

"C'mon, baby. We were so close. Before we were dating we were best friends!" She said, leaning into him and grabbing his hands.

Khalid pulled away. "Are you out of your mind?" 

"Babe please-"

"What's going on-" Sabrina stopped as her eyes fell upon Hiba nearly clinging onto Khalid. Leila and Emaan stood behind her, glaring at Hiba. 

Khalid took a moment to glance around. Most of the guests were too busy getting food and tripping over each other to eat but a few glanced his way in confusion. He turned to Sabrina who was eyeing him.

Khalid awkwardly stepped back and swallowed. "She was just-"

"What are you doing here?" Sabrina turned to Hiba, her voice dangerous.

"Oh, you didn't know?" Hiba asked, sweetly. "I was invited."

"What?" Sabrina shrieked. 

"No, she's lying." Khalid cut in before his fiancee and his ex-girlfriend pounced on each other. "She just showed up, I swear. And she was just leaving." He glared at Hiba, pointedly.

"Ugh." Hiba whined. "Listen, you can push me away all you want, Khalid But I swear, you will miss me."

"Oh no, I can't imagine life without you." He replied sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"I can and its called Heaven." Leila muttered.

"Fine! Just so you know, I wont be there when you want me back!" Hiba huffed, barging out the door.

"As if I ever will." Khalid snorted.

He shook his head and went to make sure no one would let her in again. He returned to Sabrina who was still staring at the door murderously, as if she half expected Hiba to come strolling in again.

"Look, sorry about-"

"How did you ever like that girl?" Sabrina mumbled.

"I honestly don't know." Khalid answered, shaking his head.

"You don't still like her, do you...?" Sabrina asked, looking up at him.

"No! What...are you seriously asking me if I still like that...that...thing...on our engagement day?!" He asked incredulously. 

"Well. I heard a rumor." Sabrina mumbled awkwardly.

Khalid sighed. "Sounds like something Hiba herself would have spread." 

"Erm..yeah." Sabrina replied, awkwardly.

"Listen, Sabrina. I will always stay true to you. Always. And I'll never hurt you. Ever." He said, turning in his seat so he could face her properly. 

She looked up, her eyes wide. "Promise?"

"I promise."

* * *

The evening went on and Khalid and Sabrina chatted throughout it, whenever they could. They got up at one point and walked around, stretching their legs and taking pictures with friends and family. Khalid was happy as long as Sabrina led the way and he was certain that more than one picture showed him sneaking a glance at the beautiful girl beside him.

He nearly groaned when it was time to go. He sucked in a breath, mentally punched a wall to feel manly again and said salaam to Sabrina. She gave him a small smile and thanked him for the wonderful night, and he marvelled because he could say - or more like sing - the same.

When the family of three arrived home, Khalid sighed and told his mom he was going to sit on the front steps for a little while and stare out into the night. He was too happy and alive to sleep, he just wanted the crisp feel of the night air to preserve the emotion that churned in his soul. It was pretty much the first time in his entire life when he felt at ease and...content.

The stars twinkled above him as he stared down at the steps he sat on. Sabrina's face faded from his mind as he realized he'd sat here many times before. Sometimes high, sometimes with a bottle of alcohol next to him. He'd run over these steps to escape his father. Zayn had followed him out on these steps to find him when he'd ran away that night.

His mother had almost died on these steps.

He quickly got up, trying to shake the image of his mother's dripping blood from his mind. He could almost hear the gunshot in his mind, it rang out in his head like an echo. He sniffed the air, as if he could smell the gun powder left behind that night. The scary part was that he didn't know which night he was remembering. His mother's? Or Zayn's?

He walked on, his feet slapping the sidewalk, moving onto grass and as he waded through the blades of green, he came upon the fence separating his house from his neighbors. He leaned on it, his back against the cold wood. He slid down, putting his head between his legs and covering his mouth because he was afraid he would scream.

His hair tickled something and he looked up, his vision blurry. He reached his hand out and felt a small bush that he remembered hiding behind when he was a small boy. Zayn knew it was his favorite place to hide and could always find him wedged between a few bushes in their front yard. Khalid smiled at the memory, blinking back tears. Something glinted under the moonlight, catching his eye.

He reached a hand out and his heart stopped. Slowly, he gripped it and pulled it out, staring at it as his mind sped up and whirred.

No. No. No. No.

He should have known. He should have suspected. Maybe he did but something always prevented him from taking it seriously. They were his gang. They couldn't be responsible for this, his mind would say. But they were. The proof was in his very hands. He snorted. Everyone missed this. The police. The investigators. It was sheer dumb luck that they hadn't found it and he had and now he had no idea what to do about it.

What's there to think about? His mind whispered darkly. They almost killed your mother.

He still had no idea what that was supposed to mean.

But then again, maybe I do.

His fingers closed around it. They always had metal ones. And they always had them in red. Red was their signature color. His face was a mask of indifference as his finger slipped inside the trigger.

 _______________________________________________________________

Um. So how was that? If the engagement part sucked, blame my complete lack of experience in how such things work. Maybe if you have suggestions on how to make it seem more...idk..real? you can PM me and I'll see what I can do :)

Also, what do you think Khalid has in mind? 

Vote, comment and share your thoughts if you liked it!

Dedicated to @zararosee for making the graphic on the side! Thank you! 

Shout out to @boooh and @randomarabgurl for helping me with this chapter!

- - -

surat-al-Fathiha: the opening chapter of the Quran

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

1.2M 37.5K 37
Daleela is fifteen, hormonal, and all around your average teenage Muslim girl. Well, you know, if being a Muslim girl in America is what you call ave...
290K 13.7K 31
What Umaymah was trying to do was make the bad boy good again. Free from crimes, his bad habits and come back to his religion. Things however, only g...
957K 31.3K 28
From opposite sides of the tracks comes a novel of two unprecedented lovers. Dunya Kareem and Cameron Miller are two individuals who are so confident...
115K 8.3K 53
Completed!!! Ps. This is unedited but it'll be edited soon enough. She doesn't want to get married now. He has been searching for the right girl for...