The first step

By HelenaJesso

It's hard to live without much emotion. How hard is it for people to love you, if you don't love anything? Bl... More

The First Step
The First Step
The First Step
The First Step
The First Step
The First Step
The First Step

The First Step

2 0 0
By HelenaJesso

I woke up screaming.

"Damn it!" I yelled.

I had no idea what time it was but I felt a little better. My head was still pounding and my breathing was laboured.

What day is it? I know nothing and it's killing me!

So I call in a nurse.

"What can I do for you?" she asks smiling too brightly for it being 7:00 in the morning.

"I was wondering what day it is?"

"It's the 7th."

"Can I go home?"

"Ill ask your doctor." she smiles then leaves.

I close my eyes and try to sleep.

Toby is probably starving and I need to meet Mr.Lufier and the stranger and I need to go to therapy.

Ugh I need to breathe.

Deep breath in through my nose, out through my mouth.

I do that a few times and I feel better.

I hate myself! I hate myself so much! why do I fuck everything up?! my life was going okay. I had an apartment with a dog and a job, not the nicest job but I got money! then I have to ruin everything. What floor am I on?

"Hey there Mrs. Gould. I'm your doctor. You have a concussion so take Advil whenever you have a headache. Don't use a cell phone..."

I stopped listening.

"And we have these pills for your depression and for your blood pressure. Take these pills when you wake up every day. Take them for 3 weeks then come back here and we'll do a report on you. You're free to go."

Finally!

"Thank you so much doctor."

I get up slowly and change into the clothes I had before I passed out. I grab my bag and leave. I take a bus home. I'm glad it's not far. I thank the bus driver and step out onto the sidewalk. I walk slowly up the stairs and open the front doors. Thank god my apartment is on the first floor. I walk to the end of the hall and take my keys out of my purse. I can hear Toby barking. I open the door and his tail is about to wag off his body.

"Hi boy!" I say petting him. I lay my purse on the table and head to the bathroom. I strip off and throw my clothes in the hamper. I turn the water really hot and stay in longer than I normally do.

I decided to clean up and prepare for the strangers arrival. I always kept the second and smaller bedroom empty. It was dusty too so I swept. Then I made room for two in the bathroom. I'm very glad that the bathroom door has a lock, and my bedroom does too.

I do the dishes and tidy up the kitchen and living room. It's ready for him. I hope he likes dogs. I lay on the couch with Toby. I can't use my phone or read so I just pet Toby. Mr. Lufier didn't give me a specific time so I wait.

I'm kinda hungry. I open the fridge and see its pretty empty. Not that I eat much anyways but I need to go grocery shopping. So I take a apple and eat half.

"Hello?"

"Hi it's Alise. The reason I was absent from work is because I was hospitalized. I got a concussion and won't be able to work for another few weeks. I'm really sorry and ill give you the doctors note tomorrow." I say hoping that they won't fire me. This isn't the first time I've been off work for a health reason.

"Okay Alise but anymore of these we might have to fire you. This is strike 1. I hope it won't happen again."

The way therapy is going I'm not so sure. "Yeah it won't." I'm probably lying.

"Okay goodbye Alise."

"Bye." and I hung up.

It's 3:30 and I've got therapy at 4:30. This stranger needs to hurry up.

Toby starts baking and I know he's here. My heart is racing.

He knocks. I open the door.

"Hello Mrs. Gould!" says Mr. Lufier, grabbing me and hugging me.

"Hi Mr. Lufier." I say smiling.

"You know what? Call me Maurice."

"Okay Maurice." I say giggling.

"Okay he's downstairs lets go get him."

"Okay."

I'm scared. What if he's a murderer?

We walk down the long hallway and down the stairs leading outside.

His back is turned but he's tall. Very tall. He has a grey T-shirt and jeans on.

"Hello Canis!" says Maurice.

So the stranger gets a name. Canis.

He turns around and I take a step back not realizing what I've done. I try not to make it noticeable.

"Hello Maurice." He says smiling.

"And this must be Alise."

His eyes are a bright green and his hair is jet black. He is pretty tan and he towers over my mere 5'3. He is quite scrawny though. Almost too skinny.

"Hello." I say extending my hand for him to shake.

He grabs ahold of it and gently shakes it. His hands are soft. I pull away fast.

He looks as uncomfortable as I feel.

"Lets go in then!" says Maurice excitedly.

As if I'm excited.

"Alright." Says Canis.

He grabs a suitcase.

"We'll have to come back for this."

He gestures to a folded up cot and a small dresser. I grab the dresser. It's only light.

"Are you sure?" Canis asks me.

"Yes I'm sure." I say pushing past him. I walk down the long hall then open my door. I put Toby in my room and he's barking and whining. I place the dresser in his room and walk up to my bedroom door. "It will be okay Toby just give us a minute!" I yell to him.

After Canis placed everything in his room- not bothering unpacking - and Mr. Lufier left it was already 4:00. Canis was sitting on my-our couch watching tv.

"Look I want to get to know you and stuff but I've got to go. My dog is in my bedroom so unless you want to be attacked I suggest you don't go in there. Ill be back in a hour and a half."

I say grabbing my jacket and purse.

"Where are you going?" he stands up.

I have to look up to see his face.

"Out."

"Where?"

"Out!" I yell and slam the door behind me. We are not off to a good start. Well did he expect me to be happy? he's a complete stranger!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 729 11
" ඇයි අයියෙ ඔයා කොයි වෙලෙත් මාව සුදු අරලිය මලකට සමාන කරන්නෙ.." මං අයියගෙ මූන දිහා බලන් අහනකොට එයා මගෙ ඇස් දෙක දිහා බැලුවා.. මගෙ අයියගෙ මූනෙ ඇඳිලා තිබ...
43.9K 1.8K 18
Story about a married couple who's life was so toxic to live in. ⚠️ !!!𝗔𝗧𝗧𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡!!!⚠️ ♡ This story is going to contain domēstic abu$e and m...
91.2K 2.5K 42
Four boys start their college journey at Washington University. Neo knew it would be a challenge, but he thought college would be the problem, not th...