Bad Luck with Love

By TheRealBrokenStrings

Who knew one person could have so much bad luck? Ivy sure didn't until now. Everything started so well; her o... More

Chapter 1: Double Dumping
Chapter 2: Head Start
Chapter 3: Make Me
Chapter 4: Roses
Chapter 5: Break Even
Chapter 6: Small
Chapter 7: Homecoming
Chapter 8: Ground Rules
Chapter 9: Whoosh
Chapter 10: No Funny Business
Chapter 11: Chad
Chapter 12: Love Shack, Baby
Chapter 13: Java's
Chapter 14: Mondays
Chapter 15: Complicated
Chapter 16: Forgiveness
Chapter 17: Break
Chapter 18: Beautiful Soul
Chapter 19: Weird
Chapter 20: Lover Boy
Chapter 21: Choose
Chapter 22: You've Got A Friend In Me
Chapter 23: Boys!
Chapter 24: Chance
Chapter 25: Horror Date
Chapter 26: Nightmares
Chapter 27: Skate Date
Chapter 28: Christmas Party
Chapter 29: Spies
Chapter 30: Fighting
Chapter 32: Seven Minutes
Chapter 33: Manipulated
Chapter 34: Merry Christmas
Chapter 35: Trick
Chapter 36: News
Chapter 37: Memorable
Chapter 38: Keeping Secrets
Chapter 39: Surprise
Chapter 40: Perspective

Chapter 31: Good People

366 13 7
By TheRealBrokenStrings

I spent the rest of my weekend hiding in my room. Chad tried to call a few times, but I never picked up. He sent me a few texts though, threatening to come over and find out what was wrong, but I quickly texted back that I was simply busy doing homework and couldn’t talk. I knew he didn’t believe it, everyone knew how much I loathed doing homework, but he clearly realized bugging me was going to get him nowhere, just as I realized ignoring him was getting me nowhere. I was doing exactly what Jake had done and kept waiting to say something.

By the time Monday came, I was a nervous wreck. When I got to school I was one shaking, sweaty, dry mouthed mess. Even Tyler noticed it. I decided to keep to myself that morning, hoping Chad would be sick or something so I wouldn’t have to tell him.

I had never cheated on a guy before. And it was horrible that I cheated on one that seemed half decent, one that had made an effort to change and be with me.

I walked through the halls feeling nearly as frightened as when Chad made me watch that horror movie, always on the lookout, praying he wouldn’t be there.

But he was. And he was waiting for me right by my locker, leaning against it casually with his arms folded. When he saw me his serious expression didn’t falter and I swallowed hard, my dry throat itching as I struggled to find a ‘hello’ or even a ‘hi’.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, surprising me by taking my school bag off to dump on the floor before taking me into his arms. I stood stiff and unresponsive, feeling like a robot that someone forgot to program.

“Ch-Chad,” I stuttered, my whole mouth feeling clumsy as my palms started to sweat and my heart pounded with nerves. I felt sick.

He held me at arm’s length, looking me over carefully with his eyes. “Are you okay? What happened this weekend?” he asked worriedly and frankly I wished he hadn’t. I wished I could have that old, egotistical Chad back who never cared. It would have been a lot easier.

“I…the snowstorm…” I started but soon gave up. I backed out of his hold on me, turning away to face my locker. I gripped the lock in my clammy palms, holding onto it as if it was my lifeline. I spun the lock, trying to open it. But no matter how much I tried to unlock it, it just wouldn’t open.

“Ivy…” Chad said quietly.

“I can do this,” I said quickly, feeling tears bubble up. No, I couldn’t do this. I yanked on my lock in frustration but it still didn’t open. My eyes stung as I tried the combination again, and tears blurred my vision so bad I couldn’t even see the numbers anymore.

“Ivy,” he said firmly, turning me around. “What happened?” his blue eyes probed mine and I just couldn’t hold it in anymore.

“I’m a horrible person, Chad. I-I really am,” I wiped my eyes furiously, trying not to cry in the hallway where everyone could see.

“No, you’re not,” he pushed my hands away from my face, touching my cheek gently with his hand as he wiped the tears from my skin.

“Yes I am. You have no idea what happened, so how can you say otherwise?”

“Because I know you. You’re good. You could never be a bad person,” he said soothingly.

“Even good people do bad things,” I mumbled.

He paused for a moment, considering this. “I suppose that’s true. But what ever it was it can’t be that bad.”

But judging by the way he looked at me just now, and how he pulled away a little bit, just proved that he didn’t seem to believe himself one bit.

“Yes it can,” I whispered, squeezing my eyes shut. His hand dropped from my cheek and there was a sudden distance between us that I wasn’t sure if I liked or loathed. “I cheated on you.”

A huge sigh escaped me then, my shoulders slumping, heart slowing down slightly. I opened my eyes, seeing all the students on their way to their lockers, to class, to talk to friends. And then I looked at Chad. His face had dropped, and that suddenly calm feeling vanished, leaving a pit in my stomach.

He looked so frightening, his face so angry but just barely under control, his eyes closed, teeth grit as he took deep breaths. His face was tight when he opened his eyes and I could see for him it was a struggle to keep himself contained.

“Chad I am so sorry. But it’s just…I panicked. Tyler was going to catch us spying on him so I just…kissed him. I thought maybe he’d think we were just some random couple making out in their car. I just forgot…for a second,” I reached a hand out to him but he yanked his arm away, folding it against his chest roughly.

“Who?” he asked tightly.

“What?” I frowned in confusion.

“Who. Did. You. Kiss?” he hissed.

I suddenly wished the floor would open up and swallow me whole. Now I understood why all my boyfriends came up with excuses. This was horrible.

“Jake,” I whispered.

His eyes flashed and suddenly he turned and took off, striding down the hall with such long steps that I had to practically run to keep up. “Chad! Chad wait! Where are you going?”

“I’m going to teach your ex a lesson,” he replied, fists curling and uncurling.

My eyes widened in horror and I jumped in front of him, blocking his path.

“Ivy get out of the way,” he snapped.

“No,” I said firmly, not even flinching as I put my hands on my hips, my tears drying quickly. “This was my fault, not his. I kissed him, not the other way around. You can’t punish him. He took care of me Saturday night. We were stuck in his car all night and it was freezing. Who do you think kept me warm and safe all night despite what happened? Despite me being so mad about what happened, he still took care of me.”

“He only took care of you because he was hoping he’d get some,” he said roughly, “How can you be so naive?”

“And how can you be so completely brain dead?” I retorted, “Seriously, Chad? I’ve known him all my life. He never ‘wanted’ some. That’s not him. He took care of me because he…” the words ‘because he loves me’ died on my lips, and my stomach twisted anxiously as Chad glared at me.

“Because he what, Ivy? He loves you?” he taunted, “Take it from someone who knows. He just wants to get in your pants and nothing else.”

“From someone who knows?” I repeated slowly. “So…you’re just trying to get into my pants?”

His angry expression fell, replaced by one of bewilderment. “What? No!”

“Really? That’s what you said, isn’t it Chad?” I asked, suddenly furious.

“I didn’t mean us! I meant before. Ivy you know I got around, I thought you understood that I don’t do that anymore. I want you, only you,” he backtracked, clearly thrown off his game and struggling to make me believe something that may or may not be a lie.

“How many times have you used that line before?” I asked bitterly, shoving past him back to my locker.

“Ivy! Wait, you don’t get it,” he grabbed my arm, but I shook him off without looking, stalking back to my locker. He caught up easily, spinning me around before he trapped me against the lockers, my back against the cold metal, his hands on either side of me.

“Chad get the hell off of me,” I practically snarled.

“No. Not until you get what I meant by what I said.” His face softened after a moment and he bowed his head, letting out a sigh. “You know how I used to…sleep around a little.”

“A little?"

He grimaced. “You know what I mean. But that’s not the point. The point is, do you see me off fucking other girls or kissing them? No. I changed, Ivy. I really wanted you and now I have you, only you. I don’t want anyone else. What I meant by that comment was before I started dating you.”

“Time doesn’t matter, Chad. What matters is that you realize that Jake was never like you used to be. He never slept around and never will. He’s naturally sweet and caring, he would never punish someone else for what another person did.” I stood tall, not letting him intimidate me or smooth talk me into anything. No way in hell. “So when I tell you I cheated on you with Jake, in no way does it give you permission to speak to or hurt him in any way, shape or form. And if I find out that you ever do I swear to God you will regret it. He’s my best friend. Hurt him and you hurt me. So get it through your skull; it was my fault. Not his. Punish me.”

His jaw worked, teeth grinding together. He slowly got off of me, backing up a few steps as he rubbed his forehead. “Fine. I won’t go near him. But you have to promise me that that is the last time you guys will ever do something together.”

“Excuse me?” I sputtered.

“You guys aren’t over each other clearly. And if you still want to be with me, then you have to pick me over him. I’m tired of you guys sleeping together and acting like a couple when he cheated and you dumped him. It’s done so get over it.”

“I’m not picking anyone, Chad. If you want me then Jake will always be there. Like I’ve told you he’s my best friend. There’s no way I’m going to exile him for something that was my fault. The sleeping together fine. But us going out? No way. Friends go out all the time. I’m allowed to see who I want when I want too and you have no say about it,” I said, hands on my hips as I glared at him.

“I’ll take what I can get,” he stepped towards me, looping his arms around me, but I pushed him off.

“Sorry but I’m not exactly happy with you right now so it’d be best if you gave me space,” I quipped, turning to my locker. I spun the lock and it opened easily. I glared at it before tossing my things inside, grabbing my books for first period.

“I can respect that,” he said quickly, “I’ll see you in class.” He walked off down the hall, shoulders hunched, hands in his pockets with his head bowed, such a stark contrast to how he usually walked; head up, back straight, shoulders back. He usually oozed confidence. Today he didn’t.

********

Lunch came and I nearly had a stroke when I realized I had to sit between Jake and Chad for an hour. I couldn’t exactly leave those two alone either. Who knew what would happen? But I really didn’t want to deal today. I failed a test, I still wasn't even speaking to Chad, Jo and Leena and Tyler had no idea what happened, Jake was an active participant in my cheating on Chad, and I was still crabby even though my period ended yesterday.

I stood in the entrance of the cafeteria, and for the first time I didn’t feel hungry at all. So I decided today would be my rest day. I filed right back to my locker, tossed my lunch in and grabbed my iPod before sitting under a staircase on a bench. I hid under there in the dim lighting alone for all of lunch, just listening to music in the dark with my eyes closed.

Jake POV

“So what happened Saturday night?” Tyler asked me casually since we were the only ones at the cafeteria table.

“The car died. I pulled over. There was a big storm. You found us in the morning,” I said, deadpan. I really didn’t want to talk about Saturday night. But on the upside, at least my car was in the shop and it wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. Although now I had to take my mom’s car, which was no easy feat with all the crap going on.

“Yeah, but I found you guys cuddled together like two kids in love, yet you both claim nothing happened…even though you guys aren’t speaking or anything. Before I left the house you guys were talking somewhat.” He leaned forward, determined to get it out of me or Ivy. One thing was for sure; one of us was going to fess up. “Look Jake, I’ve been pretty chill with you and her dating in the first place. Even when I saw you making out on the couch a few times I let it slip. But she’s still my little sister, and I’m not afraid to kick your ass if you did something or if you continue to not tell me what happened.”

I stared at him for a moment before I put my elbows on the table, pressing my palms into my eyes for a moment with a huge breath of air. I looked up at him. “On Saturday night we—”

“Hello boys,” Jo said cheerily as she sat down with Leena. “How are you this fine day?”

Tyler sighed, giving me a look that clearly said we’d be talking later, before turning to Jo. “Why are you in such a good mood?”

“Well. I have a boyfriend.” She grinned hugely, “And guys I think this one is a keeper. Unlike other guys I’ve dated he’s not an ass! I think that’s improvement, no?”

“Don’t get her started. I already had to listen to her all morning as she gushed in great detail about them making out,” Leena groaned.

Tyler grinned, “Sucks to be you, Leena.”

“Oh, just wait. Jo, why don’t you tell them how you guys met and danced for the first time?” Leena smirked, clearly going to enjoy having Jolene torturing us.

“Oh my God! It was so amazing!” she gushed. And that was about all I heard. I tuned her out, having zero interest in hearing about someone’s successful love life while mine was not only non existent, but also seeming to be completely crappy, which made no sense at all.

Chad joined us after a while, looking around the table. “Anyone see Ivy?”

“Nope,” Jo broke off from her story to answer quickly before jumping right back into it. I kept my gaze down on the table, not caring, just wishing school would be over. But then again I’d have to go home to my parents fighting, and really that wasn’t much better.

“Jake have you seen her?” Chad asked me. I looked up for the shortest moment, enough to see him smile politely me at me, but I could see how pissed he was.

“No,” I muttered, looking back down at the tabletop. No doubt Ivy told him what happened. Great. Just wonderful.

Lunch seemed to drag past so slowly I was sure time had practically stopped. By the time it was over I was almost glad to have math class; at least it kept my mind occupied. And with math there was always a solution, a way to figure out a problem. Seemed like life didn’t quite work out that way.

The bell rang and I jumped to my feet, my relief indescribable as I started to pick up my lunch and walk away. But then I realized Chad was heading away from the doors, not to them. I slowed down, pretending to wait for Tyler and the girls while I watched Chad make his way to Shannon’s table.

“What the hell are you doing?” I muttered under my breath, eyes narrowed. I watched him pull her off to the side before they started talking. She leaned into him, but he stepped back, keeping distance between them as they talked. She pouted at him, but he shook his head, clearly annoyed.

“Are you coming?” Tyler asked, standing beside me. He followed my gaze. “What’s he doing?” he asked, slightly pissed off.

“I wish I knew,” I said grimly, “But I doubt it’s good, what ever it is.”

“We should go before we get caught spying,” he grabbed my arm, turning me around before he practically shoved me to the cafeteria doors. I had no choice but to follow, even though I was dying to know what he possibly had to talk to Shannon about.

And I knew I had to find out.

********

The next day was a bit better. Ivy showed up at at least, and sent me a timid smile, and even though she didn’t speak to me it was more than I thought I’d get. Chad seemed to be watching us both like hawks, and I was very tempted to reach around Ivy and shove him right off the bench but I controlled myself…barely.

No one really spoke. Only the three of us knew what happened, and Tyler, Jo and Leena had no idea. But they knew something happened, and no matter how much they tried to get it out of us no one offered up any sort of explanation. So Jolene brought up her Christmas party that Friday to break the tension, telling us we were all invited and that it was going to be a huge party with most people from our school.

Good, maybe I could avoid Chad within the crowds. Maybe that would keep me from getting punched in the face…or punching him out instead.

Clearly Ivy was thinking along the same track as I was because her face turned to utter horror before she quickly masked it behind a tight smile. Chad just looked at me and then looped his arm around Ivy’s waist, pulling her tightly to him, putting a distance between us. I pretended not to notice.

By the time third period was over I was sincerely considering not going to that stupid party, but I was watching out for Ivy. I really didn’t like Chad, especially not at a party where alcohol could be a factor.

I walked behind Shannon the whole way to my locker when suddenly something occurred to me. I waited patiently for an opportunity, opening my locker, grabbing my books for the next period while she chatted with her little clique. When the bell was about to ring I went up to her group.

“Shannon? Can I talk to you about something?” I asked pleasantly, but inside I was killing myself. It was sad that I had to stoop this low.

She smirked at me, flicking her hair over her shoulder while her friends giggled. She sent them away with a flick of her wrist, and I did have to admire her ability to lead a group. It must have been hard to round them all up and convince them to hang out with a girl like her.

“What’s up?” she purred, hand on my chest.

I brushed her off, “It’s not what you think. What were you and Chad talking about yesterday?”

“Oh I don’t want to talk about him,” she pouted at me, looking like she just sucked on a sour lemon as she slung her arms around my shoulders. I sighed. It was like talking to a wall.

“Then why did you talk to him?”

She pulled away, completely annoyed. “Because the bastard makes me.”

“He doesn’t make you do anything Shannon, you can say no,” I rolled my eyes.

“Uh…no I can’t. He’s blackmailing me,” she hissed, “That bastard can make me do anything.”

“What?” I sputtered. “What are you talking about?”

She sighed in exasperation, tossing her hair back. Keys jangled in the hallway and she grabbed my arm.

“I’ll tell you, but we have to hide. I hope you don’t mind missing class,” she said, but the way she said it made it clear I had no choice either way.

“Fine,” I grumbled and she dragged me down the hall, right into a janitor’s closet. How cliché.

“Well isn’t this cozy,” her arms came up like snakes, slithering around my neck.

I pushed her off. “Shannon. Focus.”

“Fine,” she mocked me. And then she told me everything.

Ivy POV

A bunch of Shannon’s wacked up friends walked into fourth period, giggling and whispering away. When they saw me, they giggled more and their whispers got louder until even I could hear them from the back of the class.

“Oh Jake and Shannon are so cute! I can’t believe they’re in the janitor’s closet!” one giggled hysterically, “There’s no way they’re ever making it to fourth period.”

I stiffened in my seat. Impossible.

“Oh she’s so lucky,” another girls sighed.

“Girls! Stop talking and sit down!” the teacher barked.

“Just ignore them,” Chad said, holding my hand under our desks. He gave it a squeeze, shooting me a smile as those stupid girls sat down, tossing me satisfied smirks and smiles. I just wanted the floor to eat me up and never, ever let me out. I let Chad hold my hand, and hold me as we left fourth period when I only wanted to hunt Jake down and demand an explanation.

But I couldn’t. Because I had a boyfriend and Jake wasn’t it. He could do what ever he wanted.

We walked through the hall and the look on Chad’s face made me sick. He looked so victorious, so satisfied that I just couldn’t stand to be there anymore. So I took off running down the hall, leaving him behind me, bewildered and shocked. I didn’t know if he came after me but I really didn’t care. Just the thought of Jake and Shannon in a janitor’s closet together for all of fourth period made me hurt like you wouldn’t believe.

Even worse when a door opened in front of me, and as I skidded to a stop Shannon and Jake came out. His hair was a mess, he looked completely dazed and shocked while Shannon looked at me, a slow smirk spreading.

Just that stupid smirk made me want to hit her. And it also made me want to cry.

“Ivy,” Chad sighed, “Don’t be upset.” He put a hand on my shoulder, not even breathless from running after me.

I stood there, shaking violently, eyes filling with tears I vowed I’d never cry after we broke up.

“I didn’t want you to see this,” he started to wrap an arm around me, but I pushed him away and took off sprinting again, shoving past the happy couple in hopes I could make it outside with no one following me.

“Ivy? Ivy wait!” Jake shouted. I ran faster, dodging in and out of people. I slammed right into someone, and taking just the briefest moment to look up I saw Liam’s face towering over me.

“Something wrong in paradise?” he sneered, grabbing me. “I can make you feel better.”

“Liam please,” I whispered, sobs rising in my throat. “Please not today.”

“Ivy what the—” Jake’s voice rang out from behind me, cutting off abruptly. “Liam get the fuck away from her!”

“Why? She’s so upset, I’m just trying to make her feel better,” he held me so tightly I felt claustrophobic and I was sure I’d be bruised.

“Liam…” Jake hissed, advancing on us.

“Go away,” I sobbed, crying hard enough not to be able to see a thing.

“What?” Jake sputtered.

“Go away!” I shouted, wiping my eyes with my only free hand. I glowered at him through my tears, seeing everyone in the hallway in a circle watching us.

“Ivy what are you talking about?” he asked, utterly confused, stepping towards us.

“Oh look at this. I guess there is something wrong in paradise,” Liam taunted, letting out a loud laugh that sounded more like a cackle and hurt my eardrums. He let me go, stepping back. “Go ahead, you guys talk out your issues.”

I looked all around, my chest heaving, tears still spilling down. I settled my gaze on Jake who looked so confused and clueless when he had absolutely no right to be. I stood straighter, squared my jaw and lifted my head. I wasn’t doing this here. I turned and stalked off, the whole crowd of teenagers letting out a disappointed ‘Aww!’. I tried to push through but they wouldn’t let me go.

“Get the fuck out of my way,” I snarled, scaring a few people off to the side. Good. Spineless assholes.

“Wait a second,” Liam sang, grabbing my arm before he pulled me back into the circle. I tried to get him to let go, to push past him, but I couldn’t. “You guys haven’t talked about your problems yet. Communication is key, Ivy. Or maybe you guys just fucked around all the time?”

My cheeks heated in anger. “I’d never do that Liam, so shut your mouth. I don't spread my legs for any little thing that comes around.”

‘Oooh,’ echoed around us, and had Liam’s face not looked so frightening I would have smirked at him. As is my satisfaction was short lived.

“Why you little—” his hand came up and my eyes went round. He was going to hit me.

“Duck!” someone shouted. For a second I didn’t get it, but at the last moment I did and I ducked down low, just in time for a fist to go flying over my head right into Liam. Him falling backwards pulled me out of my crouch and straight into a heap on the ground, hurting my ankle as I landed wrong on it. But as soon as he let go I was pushing myself to my feet and forcing my way through the crowd.

“Ivy wait! Ivy!” Jake shouted after me, but I hobbled through everyone, pushing people out of the way until finally the crowd ended and it was just an empty hall. I sprinted painfully to an exit, hearing Jake’s quick and loud footsteps right behind me. I threw the door open and bolted through it, running down the steps and right across the path to the bus park.

“Ivy would you just stop!?” he cried.

I ignored him, the cold biting at my wet face and bare arms as I ran. My lungs burned and my ankle throbbed in pure agony with every stride. It was no surprise when Jake caught my arm and pulled me to a stop slowly, his head bowed and looking at my leg.

He let out a huge breath of air once we were stopped. I had no energy or will to move another step from this spot.

“Sit down,” he instructed.

“No.”

“Ivy sit. You hurt your ankle, at least let me look at it,” he said, completely concerned. If anything that made me hurt more.

“No!” I shouted, my voice echoing across the empty property. Soon it’d be filled with teenagers trying to get home and I could leave, be as far from Jake as I could manage.

“Okay,” he said gently, hands up in surrender. “I won’t look at it. But would you at least tell me what’s going on? What happened back there?”

“You should know,” I spat at him bitterly, starting to stalk off. He pulled me back easily, holding me by the arms for a minute before sliding them down to take my hands.

“No, I don’t know, Ivy. And maybe I could help you if you’d tell me what’s going on,” he lifted my chin, making me look at him. “Just tell me,” he said softly, touching my cheek with his fingertips.

I let myself relish the feeling for the briefest moment before I pulled away, away from his warmth and touch.

“What were you running from?” he asked, eyes searching mine.

“Everyone,” tears burned my eyes again. “Everything is just so wrong. Jake I can’t believe…I thought maybe I was wrong but I wasn’t.”

“Wrong about what?” he encouraged.

“About you,” I whispered, shaking from tears and cold.

“Me?” he repeated.

“You’re exactly how I thought you were,” I squeezed my eyes shut so I wouldn’t have to see his face. “How could you?”

“How could I what?” he asked, completely puzzled. “Ivy I have no idea what you’re talking abo—”

“Shannon!” I yelled, eyes flashing open. “You and Shannon!”

“What about Shannon?” he asked, trying to keep calm, but I could see his patience wearing thin.

“You guys in the janitor’s closet! I heard all about it during fourth. Goddamn it Jake, if you’re going to hook up with Shannon and then say you hate her guts, at least do it in a place where no one can see,” I exploded, advancing on him. “Don’t even pretend it’s not true, all of Shannon’s little minions couldn’t shut up about it. And I saw you guys come out of that room.”

“Ivy! I wasn’t hooking up with Shannon! Even ask her! It wasn’t like that at all,” he reached out to me, eyes begging me to understand, but I was sick of trying to make what he’d done alright. There was far too much evidence against him.

“Oh I’m sure,” I said sarcastically. “How about we try something new Jake? How about instead of you doing something stupid and us being friends again, only for you to do something else and hurt me more, how about we not be friends anymore? Maybe that’ll be easier.”

Kids starting pouring out of the school, and at this point we might as well have kept this argument back in that hallway.

“Are you kidding me? I can’t believe you! You want us to never speak or anything because of absolutely nothing?” he sputtered.

“It’s not ‘nothing’ Jake! You cheated on me when we were dating. And now look at us! We just keep fighting all the time! I can’t take it anymore. I just want to get over you so I can live without getting hurt so much. And clearly us hanging out together just makes all this worse.”

“Ivy did it ever occur to you that reason we fight so much is because I’m trying damn hard to keep you while you keep trying to come up with excuses to be with him?” he shot back, “I’m trying my best to make it work, I’m fighting for you Ivy. I love you. I really do. You’re my best friend. I used to think of you like a sister but not anymore. Now you’re everything want but I can’t have.”

My body heated and my heart thumped for joy, but my head was screaming at me not to fall for it. I’d been following my heart all this time and look where’s it’s gotten me. Today I was going to listen to my head.

“Jake I’m sorry. But I just can’t do this anymore. Both of us keep getting hurt and I just can’t…I can’t keep hurting you and I just can’t deal with you hurting me either. This has to stop,” I said quietly.

“But Ivy you don’t understand. Shannon—”

“Shannon what?” I asked sharply.

“Shannon told me things today. And I…I believe her,” he said, sounding firm after a brief hesitation.

“Why in the world would you ever believe a word she says?” I asked, exasperated as a crowd started making their way towards us.

“Because I’ve never seen her like that. She’s the worst actress imaginable, but what she said made sense.”

“I really doubt you guys actually talked about anything,” I blurted, wishing I could take it back as soon as it left my mouth.

His jaw tightened. “Ivy I’m not like your stupid boyfriend. So don’t you even dare think I’d hook up with some other girl when I just told you that I loved you.”

“Excuse me, but get the hell out of the way,” an annoyed group of teenager snapped at us. We moved out of their way, standing in the snow off the side of the path.

“See Jake?” I said tiredly. “We can’t even hold a conversation without one of us saying something stupid.”

“Well maybe if you listened for once…” he muttered.

I took a deep breath to calm down. “Look, Jake. Clearly, this is never going to work out. So maybe we should just stop this now and save ourselves from all this trouble.”

“You know, giving up seems to be a regular occurrence with you,” he said bitterly. “But maybe giving up isn’t such a bad idea after all.”

“I couldn’t agree more. Now you and Shannon can be completely happy together without me to stand in the way,” I retorted, “You can believe any sort of bullshit she tells you, I really don’t care. But I’m done with all of this.”

“Oh trust me, it’s not bullshit. But since you think you’re so smart, I won’t say a word. I’ll let you figure it out for yourself. I’m sure you’ll just love to know what your boyfriend has been up to,” he said roughly as he brushed past me back to school.

I refused to follow him to get my things, so instead I walked to my bus, coatless, bag less, with my head held high even though tears were pouring down in greater quantities than the Niagara Falls.

Everything was off. I hated it all. My best friend hated me, my boyfriend was doing something, and I’m pretty sure my ex and that witch had something going on…maybe.

But he was right. Why fight for me if he had Shannon? It made no sense. Everything was just screwed up and I really wished it would go back to the way it used to be.

-------

Hey y'all. I'm very very tired right now and I dont really have much to say today so I'll leave you with this chapter for now.

Much love and good vibes,

xxLaura

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 84.1K 36
Tutoring the Bad Boy. ~~ He smirked. "Whoops! Look who has read 50 Shades of Grey. Trust me getting kinky is almost every guys dream. I knew you had...
1.7M 70.4K 53
STORY 1 Ivy James loved being top of the school; she could click her fingers and get anyone to fulfill whatever her heart desired. She was happy enou...
16.1K 670 57
Love. A word that never made sense to Ivy Blanchard. Yes, she helps all of her friends with every relationship because she wants to see them happy, b...
195K 5.5K 33
"That's not something you mess around with." I say to her and she just rolled her eyes. "It's not like he's going to fall for it anyway." S...