For Rylie

By saladasandvegemite

You wouldn't think that the kind, quiet girl Rylie Peyton would do anything but apologize when she runs into... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue
Author's Note
Author's Note

Chapter 6

36K 958 201
By saladasandvegemite

When we got back to the clearing everyone else was already there, including Olly and Isaac who both looked incredibly happy, but they were being very careful around each other, making sure they weren't too close. 

That's what it seemed like anyway. 

 Nate and Seth were making the logs into a tepee shape and they smiled when we came back. 

"Got some good logs?" Nate asked, and we nodded. 

"Yeah! We're the best log get-erers out there!" Max exclaimed happily and my mind went back to the conversation earlier. 

Leah had obviously suggested something about his good mood and I was still trying to figure out what it was. 

I shrugged then went to sit on a log beside Leah. 

Tessa and Olly were talking to the twins and Seth - and now Max - while they set up the fire. I would have been no use. I could set up fires inside a fireplace but I hadn't the slightest clue about bonfires. 

"How did you go with getting logs and stuff?" I asked Leah, putting my hands in Max's jacket's pockets.

"Good. Although Nate kind of knew where everything was so I felt kind of useless. But I didn't stop laughing so it was pretty good!" Leah said,  looking over to where Nate was standing with a smile, then back to me. "And I gather yours went well?" She asked, eyeing my two jumper's, one way too big. 

"Oh shush," I rolled my eyes but couldn't contain my smile. "Nothing happened. I got cold. End of story."

"Awh that's so cute!!" Leah squealed, making me shake my head at her, but the smile was still there. 

I didn't like it. I usually didn't smile this much and I shouldn't be smiling for that reason. 

You dislike Max. He is no good for you. You don't like him. You don't want to be friends. 

I had to repeat that to myself a few times before it sunk in. 

After an hour the bonfire was all ready and both Isaac and Nate lit the fire from either side with practiced caution. It was clear that they had done this many times. 

"Do you guys want to go get some dinner? I'll watch the fire," Isaac volunteered and we all nodded. 

It was six and we hadn't eaten anything since lunch. 

Everyone went to the kitchen except me. I wanted to put on some sweatpants and thicker socks for under my shoes, maybe find some gloves if I could. 

I closed the door behind me and searched for my black sweats, pulling them on after stripping out of my jeans.

I kept Max's nice-smelling jumper on and put my thick socks on, then slid back into my shoes. 

When I walked back out to the kitchen everyone was making their dinner. 

Leah and Tessa saw that I had changed so they finished making their dinner - which was sandwiches - then got changed before they went back outside with dinner. 

Olly had made two sandwiches - as had most of the guys - but when I walked back out with him he gave it to Isaac. 

Everyone else was still inside, getting changed or making more food, so I took this as an opportunity to ask them about, well, them. 

We were all standing on one side of the bonfire so I knew they'd be able to hear me. "Not to make you guys uncomfortable or anything, but are you two a thing?"

Olly looked at Isaac clearly questioning and he shrugged, but I could see the concern on his  face. 

"Yeah, we are," Isaac said, smiling a bit, but the worry was still taking over his face. "Please don't tell anyone, especially Nate. I don't really want to have to tell my family yet."

I smiled. "Of course, I won't tell anyone." I said. "And I'm really happy for you, by the way."

Isaac thanked me and Olly nodded in agreeance and I left them to sit on a log a bit farther away from the bonfire and sat down. 

I had some thinking to do. 

Okay, so from what I knew, Max was nothing like Zane. But wasn't it strange that the very first time I saw him and I saw those combat boots, I immediately thought of Zane?

Surely that wasn't a coincidence or anything. 

My mind flashed back to what had happened two years ago, in year ten. 

I smiled at him as he talked about how easy it was to get his licence. 

He was driving his car that he got for his sixteenth birthday, cigarette hanging out of his mouth and his t-shirt with the ripped off sleeves that made it into a singlet. 

I always imagined that when my boyfriend was able to drive, he would hold my hand across the centre console and play with my fingers. 

I didn't imagine he would be bragging about how easy it was. 

"Don't worry, you'll understand what it's like soon, babe," Zane smiled, throwing his cigarette bud out the open window. 

I never liked the fact that he smoked, but it was something I just had to look over. 

He pulled up at the lookout we always went to, except now we could sit inside the car instead of out in the cool, late autumn weather. 

"So.... Do you wanna make out?" He asked, a smirk lighting up his face. 

I giggled with excitement and nodded as we climbed over to the backseat. 

As soon as I was over he attacked me with his lips, not wasting any time.

I had kissed Zane a million times before but this time it was different. There were signals in my brain screaming at me to stop. 

His hand tugged at the hem of my shirt, wanting to pull it off. 

I shook my head under his lips but he tugged at it harder, not taking no for an answer. 

"Zane, no." I pulled away from him, putting my hand on his chest to hold him back. 

His eyebrows furrowed as he leaned in to kiss me again, gently this time. 

I thought it would be different but he kept tugging at my shirt. 

When he realized he wasn't getting anywhere he started fiddling with the button on  my jeans-

"Are you okay?" A deep voice snapped me out of my thinking. 

I opened my eyes to see a pair of concerned green eyes looking into mine. His black hair was sticking out at all angles and he was crouching in front of me to be on my level. 

I tried to smile but I must have failed magnificently. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why?"

"Well, you're crying to start with," Max wiped the tears off my cheeks with his thumb and held my face in his hands for a moment longer, before seeming to think better of it and dropped them. 

"Really, I'm fine," I told him as he moved to sit beside me on the log. 

"I know that you hate me," he started, almost sounding sad at that. "But I really do want you to be fine, and I know you're not. I won't pry but I'm here if you want to talk."

Part of my brain was telling me that he was lying, that he was too much like him to actually care if I was fine or not. 

But the other part of my brain, the more prominent part, was telling me that he was being genuine, and that Leah was right, he was nothing like Zane. 

Zane would have never bothered to come over and ask if I was okay. Zane never would have gone out of his way to do anything for me unless he wanted something. Zane never cared what I wanted. 

Max did. 

I was about to explain everything to him when Leah came over. 

"Are you guys up for playing poker?" She asked, then her face looked guilty almost, as if she was scared she was interrupting something. 

Which she kind of was, but it didn't matter. I could always tell Max later. 

I put on my 'completely okay and happy and excited' face and stood up, brushing bark off the back of my sweatpants.

"That sounds awesome!" I exclaimed, maybe a bit too brightly. "Let's go."

Max followed half a step behind Leah and I as she led us into the girls cabin. 

The bonfire had died down and apparently Nate had deemed it safe to leave unattended. 

It was nearly to the coals so it made sense. 

Leah opened the back door and walked through, me following close behind. 

I saw everyone sitting at the long dining room table with a variety of lollies and chocolates, and Leah explained that's what we were betting. 

I got my skittles out of the cupboard and sat down at the table in between Nate and Isaac. 

Olly was sitting on the other side of Isaac and it seemed they were going to be on the same team. 

Olly could have played on his own but he always felt bad because he had to write down his bids and he thought it held up the game. We had tried to convince him that it didn't hold up the game and that we really didn't mind, but there was no use. 

He was so stubborn. 

Max sat opposite me and Leah sat on the other side of Nate. 

Once Seth had dealt all the cards, we spaced out a bit. 

I held the cards tight to my chest and only peeked as I needed to. 

We played for a few hours and it was usually between Max and I. 

Isaac and Olly were out of things to bet, as were Tessa, Nate and Leah. 

The only people left playing was myself, Max and Seth, but Seth's 'chips' were dwindling by the round. 

After one last round Seth was gone and it was my turn to deal. 

"Let's make this the last one, shall we?" Nate asked from beside me, yawning. 

I looked to the clock which I had located above the fireplace and I nodded. It was nearly midnight and we'd had an early start that morning. 

"Alright, bring it on," Max smirked and I poked my tongue out at him as I lifted my hand. 

Nate and Isaac both leaned over to look but I hugged it to my chest. I didn't want anyone knowing what amazing cards I had. There were only three hands that could beat this, so the odds were in my favour. 

I frowned when I looked at my cards then kept my face straight, not giving anything away. 

Max placed his first bet, tossing in a half of his massive pile of assorted sweets. 

I matched his bet and he raised his eyebrow and he raised his bet. 

Within the minute he was all in and I frowned. I didn't have anything else to bet and Max clearly noticed. 

A smirk lit up Max's face as a lightbulb must have gone off in his head. "You can always start betting your clothes. God only knows I don't mind!" 

I scowled at him while the boys laughed. Clearly Max was joking. 

His face turned a bit more serious but the smirk was still there. "Okay, this time I'm serious. How about no sweets. We donate them to the less skilled poker players and make a verbal bet?" He raised his eyebrow and got shouts of protests from everyone around the table, but he ignored them and so did I.

"Hmm... I'm intruiged. What do you have in mind?" I asked, putting my cards face down on the table and leaning my head on my hand. 

"If you win," Max paused to think, his green eyes sparking with excitement as an idea formed in his head. "You get to slap me three times. In the face. Whenever you want. Because let's face it, we all know you've been dying to." He rolled his eyes but he wasn't wrong, I had been dying to slap him. 

Not so much anymore but I'm sure three free slaps would come in handy at some stage. 

"And if you win?" I asked, raising my eyebrow to match him. 

"If I win, we have to be friends," he said simply. 

I was confused by this but wasn't going to complain. Being 'friends' was easy. 

I nodded but Max obviously knew what I was thinking somehow. "No, when I say friends I mean the hanging out after school, going to see movies together, talking nicely to each other sort of frieds."

I frowned. 

Dammit!!

Max held out his hand and I shrugged, not having any other choice. "Deal?" He asked. 

I took his hand and shook it once. "Deal."

"Ooh this is intense!" I heard Seth whisper from beside Max. 

"I know, I'm not sure who I want to win!" Leah whispered. 

I don't know why they felt the need to talk in whispers. 

"I wan't Rylie to win!" Isaac joined in, and Max shot him a joking glare.

"Nah I wan't Max to win!" Tessa added and I rolled my eyes. 

I lay my hand face up on the table confidently. 

Max's face fell and I knew I had won. 

He lay his hand out and it was... The second best hand you could ever get.

"Dammit!" I groaned, putting my head in my hands. 

Everyone cheered but through the gaps between my fingers I could see that Max was just smiling to himself, picking a red skittle off the table and popping it into his mouth. 

After a few minutes the excitement fizzed out and everyone was tired again. 

"He-ey," Seth stuttered, getting everyones attention. "Does anyone mind if we completely switch the sleeping arrangements?"

I laughed quietly but no one had a problem with it. 

"Do you have any ideas?" Nate asked him, looking completely un-casually over at Leah who was completely oblivious. 

"Well," Seth said, his cheeks going a bit red. "I was thinking that Nate could go with Leah?" He asked and they both nodded.

"Okay, and Olly and Isaac can stay in the same room?" Seth continued, Isaac and Olly both nodding as well but Olly's cheeks went a  bit red. 

"And I can go with Tess, leaving Max with Rylie," he finished. 

I was about to protest but I didn't want to be rude. Everyone else was happy about it and Max and I were friends now, so I had to make an effort. 

We all put the sweets in a container then went to our rooms to get our stuff to move. 

Seth was moving into our room because Tessa had already unpacked and didn't want to move. 

Leah and Nate were going in the other room in the girls cabin and obviously Isaac and Olly were staying in their room. 

So I had to move my stuff to the original boys cabin. 

The boys cabin was almost exactly the same as the girls', but instead of a kitchen and dining room they had a large lounge room with a bookcase full of boardgames. 

I heard Isaac talking through the door of one room so I went to the second door and found that it was the bedroom I'd be sleeping in now. 

The door was slightly open and I saw Max sitting on a single bed on the left side of the room. 

I pushed the door fully open and walked in, dumping my bag at the end of my bed and sitting on the bed with my back against the wall, facing Max who had a smile lighting up his face. 

I slid my shoes off and let them drop to the floor, feeling like I should be feeling awkward, but there was nothing awkward about this. 

I wanted to get changed to I got my cotton shorts and loose dark gray sweater out of my bag, along with my toothbrush and toothpaste. 

"Where's the bathroom?" I asked Max, who had seemed to be off in his head, thinking. 

"What? You don't just want to get changed here?" He smirked, but then told me. "Next door down the hall."

I walked out of the room and down to the bathroom. It was exactly the same as the one in the girls' cabin. 

I shut the door behind me and quickly stipped out of my jumpers, t-shirt and sweatpants and pulled on my blue shorts and sweater. 

Pulling my hair back into a loose bun, I did my teeth. 

Once I was finished I walked back to my room and slipped through the door. 

The light was off but the lamp beneath the window was on, shining a dull light through the room. 

I dumped my clothes and toothbrush onto the top of my bag but threw Max's jumper back to him. 

"Thanks," he said, throwing it at the end of the bed. 

I sat on my bed and faced him, my back leaning against the wall much like he was. 

"Can I ask you a question?" Max asked, his face dully illuminated by the lamp. 

I only then realized that he had chaged his shirt. 

"Sure," I smiled, curious about what he wanted to ask. 

"Why do you hate me so much?" He asked, frowning. 

I took a deep breath and told him the truth. "I don't hate you, personally." I paused. "I hate who you reminded me of when I met you."

Confusion lit up Max's face as he leaned forward on his bed. "And who's that?"

"My ex boyfriend," I told him, avoiding his eyes. 

The space between us suddenly seemed awkward, like there was too much space to be talking about something personal, and serious. 

Max seemed to notice too as he got off his bed and dragged it towards mine. Halfway through he stopped to look at me, asking me if I minded. I didn't, and in a few more seconds Max's bed was next to mine. He sat back down on it, folding his legs over one another. 

"Bad break up?" Max asked, continuing the conversation. 

"It's complicated, but essentially, yes." I hesitated, not sure if I should share the story. 

Max waited patiently until I made up my mind. 

It took me a decent twenty minutes to explain everything of what had happened with Zane. 

"And he tried to push it too far but I opened the car door and slid out. I actually fell on my head on the road but I didn't even care. I ran home and then realised that my head was bleeding. I had to have stitches." I paused, trying to figure out how to say the next bit. "And when I ran into you and saw the combat boots and the smirk I just felt like I was put back in year 10 with Zane standing in front of me." 

Max's face was a mixture of sadness, anger, sympathy and something else I couldn't quite recognize. "Does he still go to our school?" He asked and I shook my head. 

"No, he moved to Canada a few months after," I explained, feeling the same relief I had when he left. 

"Good, because if he hadn't then I'd bash his freaking head in," Max muttered under his breath. 

"Hey," I touched his forearm. "It's okay."

"You know I'd never do anything like that right?" He asked, sounding desperate for me to understand. "I'm nothing like him. I'd never do anything to make you feel uncomfortable."

I could tell he was going to keep going but I stopped him. "I know Max, I know."

We sat in silence for a minute, waiting for Max to calm down. 

I decided I'd change the subject, to take his mind off it. 

"You know, I can't promise that I'm going to be a good friend..." I trailed, frowning. 

Max lifted his head to look at me with a small smile on his face, the shadows of dimples appearing on his cheeks. 

"Why not?" 

"Well, because I'm emotional, annoying, moody and just not a great friend."

Max's laugh rang through the room. "You're kidding right?" 

When I shook my head his face turned slightly serious, but the smile was still there. "You may be some of those things but just no. You are witty, imaginitive, fierce, funny, caring, and so much more. I doubt it is possible for you to be a bad friend," he rushed and I barely caught each of the words. 

What??? Surely he didn't think I was all of that... 

I laughed quietly and he smiled. I thought I could see his cheeks go a bit red but then I disregarded it as a trick of the light. 

I yawned and without any further words, Max switched off  the lamp and we lay in the darkness with just the sounds of our breathing. 

"Goodnight," Max whispered sleepily. 

"Night Max."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.2M 206K 44
~~~ Ryder's face turned angry as he pushed me back up against a wall. His face hovered inches from mine. I could feel his hot breath on my lips that...
172K 6K 17
Chloe Parker seems like your average highschool nobody. But what people don't know is that she is being abused by her ex-boyfriend. She believes that...
965K 29.8K 42
Emma Hayden. The new student of Westwood High. It's a small school, not known for any good reason so naturally, new students get all the attention. E...
15.9K 310 52
Sterling has not seen Cale in three years. She considers him egotistical, arrogant and in Sterling's mind the worst person ever. They never got along...