The Prince and The Prowess

By megha9

A seventeen year old girl who is an illegal hunter by night finds herself far from home and has to work with... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty [end]

Chapter Four

81 9 0
By megha9

I could constantly feel myself slipping in and out of consciousness. At one point, I felt myself waking up while hearing someone’s demanding voice. I tried to hold onto those words, and tried to pull myself out of the darkness I could feel grabbing at me, trying to pull me back in. I then felt a cloth at my face, and I succumbed to the darkness’s hold. The same sequence seemed to happen for days or for hours, I wasn’t sure.

I woke up once, bracing myself for that cloth at my face. I felt nothing, and the room was silent. I shivered, having no clue what was going on. My hands were bound over my head, and I was sitting in some kind of cold, stony room. I managed to slowly open my eyes, but all I could see were black bars in front of me. I couldn’t think straight. Questions which I had no answers for were ringing in my head. Where was I? How far from home was I? Was I going to make it out alive? Did they get Dorian?

I silently prayed that the answer to the last question was a no.

                After forcing myself to think, I managed to gather a little bit of obvious information. I was in a jail cell. It was dark. I could hear moaning from other prisoners, so I guessed I wasn’t alone. As soon as I got that much, an idea marched into my head. I was going to try and get out of here.

                I couldn’t move much with my hands strapped above my head. I struggled through the bindings, trying to break free. It was no use. There was nothing around to cut the ties with. The ceiling was too high and the door too far away.

I was stuck.

                Somewhere in the distance, I heard footsteps and a huge door opening. I got to my feet, pulling the ropes higher up on the bar. I leaned forward trying to loosen them, but all it did was tighten their grip on my wrists. I winced and heard the footsteps come closer. I straightened my posture to look somewhat braver and stronger then I felt.

                A silver, green, and gold clad Regal dressed similarly to the one who had walked into the house unlocked my door, letting two, strong smelling men walk in.

The shorter man of the two was wider with both a strong build and a little too much to eat. He wore a shining silver tunic and adorned himself with a thick, gold colored robe. His dark green breeches were adorned with tiny golden gems that ran all the way down to his boots. A ring laced through his fingers that only caught my attention because of it’s shining gold color. It must have been real. Through what I could see through the darkness, the emblem of the Northern Serpent was on the front of his royal vest. Once I looked at his face, I recognized him immediately from portraits in the marketplace. He was the king of the Northern Region.

                The second man barely looked like a man – he might have been my age. He was clad in dark pants and a topaz colored tunic. His eyes were bright green and inquisitive, but he leaned back against the poles as if he was uninterested in what was going on. I guessed he was one of the king’s two sons. Whether he was Brigian or Zayden, I didn’t know.

                The king opened his mouth to speak. “When the news that the wanted criminal known as the Prowess was a female, I just had to see for myself.” He said. “A girl who can wield a weapon and cause this much pandemonium? I just had to see it for myself.”

                I didn’t say anything, just kept a scowling expression on my face.

                “But to call it something special means that I must see it myself. Wouldn’t you agree?”

                Once again I said nothing.

                “Unleash her bindings.” The king instructed the Regal. He stepped forward and hacked the binding off my wrists. I felt to the ground, rubbing my wrists which were raw and red. “Let us go for a walk.” The king told us.

                I got up unwillingly and followed the king and his son out of the room. Two Regals followed behind me, their eyes glued to my back, to my discomfort.

                “If you didn’t know already,” the king started, “I am the king of the Northern Region. This is my youngest son, Prince Zayden.” The Prince didn’t bother to look at me. “You may be wondering why you’re here in the castle dungeons, instead of Jarsa’s prison, correct?” he asked. That was exactly what I was thinking. I didn’t respond – I was still shaking on the inside, and I was worried that my voice would come out squeaky, and weak. I kept my posture straight and followed without a word.

“You see, you are here because your country could use your help, not for a punishment.” His words struck me as odd. Fishy. “News of a girl who can wield weapons does not fly through the small island often you know, so once I heard, I ordered you to be brought here. You can assist me in ways that men cannot.” I didn’t like the sound of this.

                “You know the war is going on, and it is just getting so much more difficult to fight the South. That is why I want to send you over to spy on the people of the South. It is the least you could do for your country after disobeying it’s laws.” He continued. “I have thought of sending you with my son to spy – you would both be disguised. It seems like the adventure of a lifetime, wouldn’t you agree? Would you take on this task and submit to my commands for the good of the people of your Region?”

                He waited for a reply. I didn’t want to speak, but I didn’t want him to get angry either.

                “No.” I said, surprising myself. My voice did not shake or quiver. I sounded strong, brave, fearless.

                The prince looked up once he heard me speak and locked his fierce eyes with me. I felt something churn in my stomach and immediately linked the prince’s name with the word danger.

                “No?” the king asked. “I am shocked to hear that. Shocked and disappointed, oh no.” the king turned to me, stopping in his tracks. “May I ask for a reason?”

“I’m not here to do your bidding.” I say, and leave it at that.

The king shakes his head. He’s not happy, and I don’t care. “Clearly you have not thought this through enough. Maybe another day in the dungeon will help you to realize what the answer should be, yes?” he asked. He was big with rhetorical questions. “Son, escort this young woman to her jail cell, will you?”

                “Yes father.” PrinceZayden said. He turned around, not looking at me. The two Regals grabbed me by the arms and pulled me behind them.

                We reached the jail cell in a minute and the Regals pulled me in. I winced and cursed as they bound my wrists onto the bar with thick rope.

                “That’ll hold ya.” The guard said, tightening the knot. I almost spat at him but I took a deep breath, trying to calm down. The Regals walked out the door.

I looked at the Prince, who was already leaving.  My anger was building, cutting through my fear and nervousness and I couldn’t stop myself. “You’re very obedient to your father aren’t you? Letting him tell you what to do?” I said sharply.

The prince stopped in his tracks, and before he moved, the soldiers beside him unsheated their swords, pointing them at me.

“Dismissed.” Prince Zayden said, annoyance ringing in his voice. The Regals sheathed their swords and stepped back. The Prince then turned to look at me. He looked displeased. “What did you say to me?” his long dark hair fell over his eyes. They bore into mine, and I could faintly detect their green color in the darknesss.

“I said that you’re very respectful to your father. Listening to his every command, almost like a servant or a dog.” I said, my voice surprising me even more.

Anger flashed in Prince Zayden’s eyes. “Get out.” He said to the guards. They left as Prince Zayden put his hands in his pockets. “You think that’s funny? You’re mocking me, aren’t you?”

What is with this royal family and their questions? “Oh, am I?” I asked sarcastically.

 “What is your name, girl from the Village of Oberon?” he asked, spitting his last words. He stepped forward, coming closer.

I wasn’t sure whether to lie or not. “Azria Larke.”

“Azria.” He said, my name sounding funny coming from his mouth. “You have a way with words that can be so…cruel.”

“It’s called sarcasm.” I informed him. “Of course you wouldn’t know how to use it, I mean, you are the great Prince of the North, are you not? You have brought this wonderful war to our country and have helped destroy many people, right? You would never use sarcasm against your great and holy father, now would you?”

He actually grinned. “You mock me. This is hilarious.”

“You seem to be the only one to find it funny.” My voice was flat.

“You are angry, no?” Zayden asked. He sounded amused and angry at the same time.

“Angry? Hah!” I laughed viciously. “Such an understatement.”

“Who turned you so malicious?” Zayden asked.

“Would you be surprised to know it’s you?” I replied in the same tone.

“What have I done?” Zayden asked, his angry tone rising over his amused one. “It is you who has done wrong. It is you who broke the law of the country, it is you who has lied to the sworn men defending the country, it is you, Azria, who has brought yourself into this mess. Why must your anger reflect on me?”

I leaned forward, meeting his gaze with an intent look. “Because the only reason I’m here is because of you, Prince Zayden.” I spat his name at his face. He didn’t wince. “Why did I hunt illegally you ask? Because my family among many others starve every day as we try to feed ourselves. It was fine when I had my father. Then your people came and took my father away. You took my mother away, you took everyone away!” I was desperately fighting against my bindings. The rope cut into my wrists and I winced. I brought my voice down as I continued speaking. “Your war has brought everyone to misery and disgust. Does it feel good, Prince, to know you’ve destroyed my whole family? And the families of many others as well?”

Zayden reached out to touch my cheek, the same cheek that was bruised with the soldier’s slap. I flinched as his fingers brushed my skin. I tried to look away, to hide the red that stained my face from both humiliation and helplessness. He caught my chin in his hands and lifted my face towards his. “Why are you so mistrustful?”

I shut my eyes, trying to block out the image of the losses I’ve suffered that burned in my mind.

“You think I did this?” he asked, laughing almost painfully. He let me go. “I am merely a prince. I have nothing to do with your family. I have nothing to do with the war, nothing to add and nothing to put up with. I want nothing to do with you.”

He was wrong. “There is no such thing as merely a prince. As prince, you have to the power to do anything.” I looked up at him, my grey eyes meeting his green ones. His hand moved away from my face and to his belt. My eyes widened when he reached for his knife.

“No!” I shouted, as he came forward in one swift movement.

I winced, waiting for the pain, but I felt nothing except relief around my wrists.

He had cut my bindings.

I rubbed my wrists and looked up at him, confused.

“Get out.” He said. “I really don’t ever want to see you again.” 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 76 18
Stevie Ericson,A great Vampire Hunter... She's been trained since 10 to be a Vampire Hunter.She doesn't target Stefan Salvatore,he doesn't kill h...
143 27 20
Lucian a young boy from the elven kingdom finds himself lost in a forest ,not knowing how to find his way back he simply wanders the forest in search...
2.7M 69.6K 19
"When I look into your eyes, I know where you've been, I know what you saw that night in the forest. I know what you are now." Scholars rule the empi...
858 37 36
Syrena Rhines 17th birthday is coming up and she couldn't be anymore excited. There's just one problem.... When Syrena was 10 something happened, an...