Chapter Six

Fear for Dorian crept up my skin. My heart started when visions flashed through my head, of Nessie running out of a burning house. Laurette’s and Rosalind’s screams echoed through my head, and I saw Dorian looking like the face of death.

“Wait – that’s a lie! They don’t have anything to do with this; they didn’t even know I was the Prowess!” now my voice shook. “That’s a false accusation! They haven’t committed treason! Please, don’t do this-.” I said, stepping forward.

“I cannot stop him, but you can.” The king told me. “Do whatever you can to stop him, for if you don’t, it is your family who will have to pay for it.”

Quincy started heading towards the door, ready to deliver the message.

“You want me to kill him?” I asked the king.

“Oh, I highly doubt it’s possible for you to do so.” He said. “Quincy is one of my most powerful messengers. But if you are willing to try…”

I realized what the king was trying to do. He wanted to see my skills by blackmailing me. “Stop! Please don’t do this. I…I won’t kill him, I can’t.” I said. “I’ll show you my skills, somewhere else. Just, not this -.”

“Then he can’t be stopped.” The king said.

I turned to see Quincy nearing the doors.

“Wait!” I sprinted to him as fast as I could and grabbed him by the shoulders, turning him around. I tried to snatch the letter from him, but he threw a punch at my face, sending me backwards. I could feel the blood trickle from my nose.

“Stop, please!” I told him, reaching. He threw another punch at me again, but I easily evaded it and felt my fingers slip past the letter. He elbowed me in the back and I toppled to the ground. He sprinted for the door. I couldn’t fight a person – I never have.

“Father, this is too much.” I heard Prince Zayden say to his father.

“It is working though, isn’t it?” Prince Brigian sniggered at his brother.

This time I yanked at Quincy’s armor, causing him to stagger backwards. I used this to my advantage and twisted him around, causing him to lose his balance. He reached out to strike out at me, but I evaded his attack and reached for the note. He recovered faster then I expected him to, and he kneed me in the stomach, sending me sprawling to the floor, clutching my stomach.

Prince Zayden spoke up again. “Father, this is absurd, you cannot just-.”

“Sit, Prince Zayden.” The king ordered.

I turned and ran to the king, tears streaming down my face. “Please, please please! Tell him to stop! I’ll do anything you ask for, please!” I got on my knees and tightened my fists. “I can’t kill him. Please tell him to stop, don’t punish my family for my mistakes. I’ll do anything!”

“You’ll join in my alliance?” the king asked.

“Yes! Just please, make him stop.” I sobbed.

“You’ve made a wise choice, Azria. You have saved your family and will soon honor your country.” I could hear the conceitedness in his voice and felt humiliated. I couldn’t get myself to look up and meet their gazes, especially not Prince Zayden’s.

“Someone, send for Quincy’s return. And you – escort her to the dungeons.” He turned to me and I met his gaze. “You’ll stay there for tonight as your punishment for your...uncivilized and painfully rude behavior.”

                I nodded silently, looking at my toes.

                “Take her away – and please, get that blood taken care of.”