His Appeal

By callmeams

Can he overcome his bitterness from the past to save the family he's always dreamed of? Doug Masters has watc... More

His Appeal
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six--Part One
Chapter Six--Part Two
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight--Part One
Chapter Eight--Part Two
Chapter Eight--Part Three (last part)
Chapter Nine
Chapter Nine--Completed
Chapter Ten--Part One
Chapter Ten--Completed
Chapter Eleven--Part One
Chapter Eleven--Completed
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fourteen Addition
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen--Part One
Chapter Seventeen
Chaper Eighteen
Author's Note
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty Continued

Chapter Sixteen--Part Two

42.2K 1.5K 59
By callmeams

“I’m so glad you’re both here,” Mrs. Johnson seemed out of breath as she escorted Emma into the kitchen.

When they’d heard her shout, Doug and Eve jumped apart.  Standing a few feet from each other, they both fidgeted uncomfortably while avoiding looking at each other.

“You’re back early,” Eve attempted to sound collected.  “I wasn’t expecting you for at least another half an hour.”

“We were going to stay and help clean up,” Mrs. Johnson explained, “but Emma was too excited to come home and tell you her news.”

“You have news, Emma?” Doug smiled at the teenager.

“Camp,” Emma said clearly with a broad grin lighting her face.

“Emma has been invited to a two-week long summer camp program,” Mrs. Johnson clarified.  “The paperwork is in Emma’s bag, but it’s quite a big step for her.”

“This is an overnight program?” Eve asked.  “I’m not sure…”

“As her care provider, I would be going along with her,” Mrs. Johnson cut in.  “But even with a full time care provider, only students who have shown a certain level of independence are invited to the sleep away camp.”

“Who runs this camp?” Doug asked with narrowed eyes.

“The information is in the paperwork,” Mrs. Johnson said.  She lifted Emma’s drawstring bag and began rifling through it until she found what she was looking for.  “This can only be a good thing for Emma, but there is some cost involved.”  The nurse looked uncomfortable.  “I would, of course, pay for my own accommodations, if you would continue to pay my regular salary.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Doug shook his head and took the papers from her.  “If this is something we decide is good for Emma, we would pay your expenses as well as an overtime rate.”

“What about your family?  Can you be away for that long?” Eve asked.

“My children are grown,” Mrs. Johnson said with a sad smile.  “My youngest is away at college and the other two have started lives of their own.  I think they’ll survive if Mom isn’t available by phone for a few weeks.”

Eve felt guilty for not making more of an effort to get to know Mrs. Johnson on a personal level.  She had become such a central part of their lives that it was sometimes difficult to remember that she was an employee; and yet that was how Eve had treated her.

“Eve and I will discuss this and let you know our decision,” Doug said.  His eyes were focused on the information in front of him and he didn’t look up until a hand tugged on his arm.

“Camp,” Emma said smiling brightly and batting her eyelashes.

Doug lost the fight to laughter as he watched Emma try to manipulate him to get her way.  With hearty chuckles tumbling from his throat, he reached out and ruffled Emma’s hair.

“You’re a cheeky little flirt, aren’t you?”

“Camp,” Emma’s smile grew wider.

“Mrs. Johnson, would you please entertain Emma while Eve and I discuss ‘camp’?”

“Of course,” Mrs. Johnson said.  She placed a hand on Emma’s elbow and gently guided her out of the kitchen.

“I want to check this place out before we make any decisions,” Doug said when Emma was out of ear shot.

“I agree, I should research the facility and staff,” Eve said.  “But I do trust Mrs. Johnson.  If she is willing to be with Emma for the two-weeks, I think Emma will be perfectly safe.”

Eve walked with her back held stiff and straight until she was in front of the sliding glass doors that lead to the balcony.  She stared out into the evaporating light of evening and pondered her next words.

“Emma has been to summer camps before,” Eve said.  “She had wonderful experiences there.”

“Through this same group?” Doug asked.

“I don’t know.  I was little more than a child myself, but I don’t think so.”  Eve took a deep breath and faced Doug again.  “May I have the paperwork please?”  She held out a hand.  “If I could use the computer if your office, I’ll do a search on the facilities and read through reviews.”

Doug passed her the stack of paper Mrs. Johnson had given him, but he was frowning.  “Why don’t we go into my office and you can read the printed information while I dig around online?”

“I can handle it,” Eve said with a tight smile.

“You don’t have to handle it alone,” Doug said.  “You’re not alone in this anymore, Eve.”

“But I will be, won’t I?” Eve snapped.  Her eyes flashed hot as she jabbing him the papers.  “Will it be a month?  Maybe six?  Will this last another year?  At some point all of this—” she hesitated, her arms waving around frantically.  “Us living together, you supporting me and Emma financially and emotionally, it’s all going to end.  I can’t get used to depending on you.”

“What do you want me from?” Doug asked quietly.  “Do you want me to marry you and pretend that we’re going to have some happily ever after?”  He took a step toward her.  “I can’t promise you forever.  I can’t even promise you next month.  But I’m here right now, and I want to help.”

“You wanted a fucking brood mare,” Eve’s voice was bitter.

“I don’t know what I wanted,” Doug said.  “I was out of my mind when I suggested this.”  Doug took another step closer and then another, until he was able to pull her into his arms.  “But however this started, it’s all changed now.  We’re flying blind with no real plan.  That doesn’t mean we can’t depend on each other.”

“Right,” Eve said, sarcasm evident even though her face was pressed into Doug’s shirt.

Doug pulled back and tipped her chin up with his forefinger.  “We’re friends now, remember?  Friends are there for each other, friends help each other.  No matter what happens in the future, I will always be here to support you and Emma.  You aren’t alone anymore.”

Eve wanted to believe him, to believe in him; but in her heart she knew he was making promises that he had no way of keeping.  He wanted a family above all else.  She and Emma might be satisfying that need for now, but eventually he would find someone he would love.  And there was no way any woman would be comfortable with her husband being friends with the woman he’d propositioned to have his child.

“Eve?”

Eve took a deep breath and pulled out of his arms.  “We’re friends.”  She offered him a sad smile.  “Let’s check out this camp thing for Emma my friend.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

741 278 32
{This is a first draft, so there would be mistakes.} "Someone once told me that we have 3 voices within, something that our heart desires to say, so...
7.7K 238 24
Rafe Burne has endured years of abuse from his father. Now out of rehab due to heroin addiction and a juvenile detention center due to dealing drugs...
32.3K 2.9K 54
**ATTENTION! This is a sequel to Not the Only One. Please please don't read any further until you read it! - SPOILERS ahead! All of the characters wi...
4.5K 17 10
I knew what was coming later tonight, not only at home, but on the way there. I knew that reacting right now would just make it worse though. So I ke...