The Power Within - Transforme...

By babsgordon152

The sequel to 'Scars Don't Heal - Transformers Prime'. Amanda Beckett had changed. She became a leader, a fri... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Conclusion
Author's Note
Author's Note - Update

Chapter Twenty

2.5K 88 13
By babsgordon152

[Agent Fowler]

  "Raf, I have a bead on the relic." Bulkhead said through the comm link, which I answered since Raf was occupied making a virus for Ratchet.

  "Raf is busy." I said. "I'll take it from here."

  "Fowler? How was your beauty sleep?" There was amusement in his tone.

  I rolled my eyes. "Fine. What's your status?"

  "Came up empty to provided coordinates, but I'm figuring old lava flow might have carried the relic downhill."

  "Wouldn't that just burn it up?" I asked.

  "This relic survived interstellar transport, I'm sure that it can stand- Oh scrap."

  That snapped me to attention. "What is it?"

  "I'm leaking energon. That Insecticon hit me hard."

  "Insecticon?!"

  "Nothing to worry about. Trust me, he's in way worse shape than I am."

  There was silence after that, but I could see on the screen that Bulkhead was still moving down the volcano. Raf was still working on Ratchet's virus, while Amanda and Finn were monitoring their own situations, both of them focused on their own screens. I couldn't help but notice how much Amanda looked like her mother when she was at work, but didn't say that because I knew how touchy that topic was for her. On my own screen, Bulkhead stopped abruptly, causing me to return my attention to his situation.

  "There you are!" He said, and I assumed he found the relic. "Let's see what's inside... uh-oh. Base, we have a problem."

  "What is it?" I demanded.

  "It's a cash of energon," he replied with dread.

  That made me confused. "That's good, right?"

  "No, no, no, not this kind. It's known as Tox-En. Causes nausea and dizziness upon contact. Prolonged exposure weakens us to the point of paralysis, and then it snuffs out our sparks."

  Amanda jerked away from her computer suddenly, her eyes on me. "Did Bulkhead just say what I think he said?" I nodded slowly. "I just- This scene flashed before my eyes when he said Tox-En. Valilorna created it to weaken Cybertronians slowly and painfully as a way to get back at Primus. That stuff is no joke; it's even weakened Cleona herself to the point where she couldn't use her powers for a year." Her gaze went to my computer next. "Bulkhead, you have to get as far away from that stuff as possible."

  "If it's as deadly as you say," I said, trying to persuade the wrecker to ditch it. "The Cons won't want it either."

  "No, they'll want it even more." Bulkhead argued. "During the war for Cybertron, Megatron figured out a way to refine raw Tox-En, probably with Valilorna's help, and he turned it into a weapon of mass destruction. I witnessed an entire unit wiped out by the sickness.There's no way I can leave this stuff for the Cons to find and abuse."

  "So bring it back here." I said.

  "Forget it. Even if we had a safe place to store it, it's way too risky to expose the rest of us." He paused. "I'll call you back. I'm going to take care of this wrecker style."

  I sat back on the chair, feeling familiar nerves take over. It felt the same when a military team got sent out; the same nerves dominated then too.

  Before another thought could cross my mind, Amanda flinched, her eyes wide as they went to my computer screen once more.

  "Bulkhead, get away from that stuff!" She exclaimed. "Carrying it-"

  "Wait," I cut in, directing my voice to the comms. "You're carrying it? I thought that stuff was toxic.."

  "It is." The wrecker said. "But I needed to put some distance between me and the bugs. And, Amanda, stop focusing on me and focus on Optimus; he might need you."

  She chewed her lip slightly before turning back to her own sceen.

  I shook my head. "Well, what now?"

  "I'm gonna get rid of this steaming pile the only way I can. I'm gonna lob it into the volcano."

  "What about the insect problem?"

  There was a pause. "This isn't my first time eluding an enemy patrol, you know."

  I looked at the map, where it showed- "You're moving away from the volcano?"

  "Exactly."

  Then it hit me. "You left a false trail, huh? I once pulled that trick when I got separated from my unit behind enemy lines."

  "When were you ever behind enemy lines?"

  I smirked. "I wasn't always a bot-sitter."

  "Huh. Next thing you gonna tell me your mother doesn't tuck you in at night."

  "Not since basic training." My smirk remained, but I mostly kept talking because I could hear the waver in Bulkhead's voice, the on-coming collapse.

  "Training as what? A rodeo clown?" The wrecker joked.

  "You're spending way too much time having monster truck rallies with Miko. I was an army ranger. We could wreck with the best of them."

  A pause. "Who knew you and I are so much alike."

  There was a beep, drawing my attention away from the wrecker for a moment.

  "Amanda." Prime's voice came over the comms and she typed something, opening the channel.

  "Here." She replied.

  "Is Finn available?"

  Finn moved to stand behind her when he heard his name. "Here, Optimus. What's up?"

  "I require access to a research facility at my current coordinates."

  Finn furrowed his brow slightly, eyes fixed on the map on her laptop screen, then took out his phone. "Let me make a call." He walked off again, calling the research lab. I narrowed my eyes slightly. The people there must have found the relic before the Autobots and Decepticons, putting them right in harm's way. I only hoped the Cons were far behind Prime, giving the people in that lab the chance to leave.

  "Base is clear, Optimus." Finn said as he walked back towards us. "Just try not to wreck the place. I made up a story about solar flares, but that won't hold if the place is destroyed."

  "Many thanks, Finn." Prime said before there was a click, indicating he signed off.

  I returned my attention to my own monitor. "Bulkhead, how you holding up?"

  His breathing was coming in rasps, I could hear it even over the comms, and his progress was slow. "For Miko..."

  "Don't worry about her. Finn's watching the New York situation with hawk eyes. You need to focus on your own mission."

  He didn't reply for a moment, breathing raspier by the second. "Right... I- I just need to rest- for a minute."

  I shook my head, knowing that I was losing him. "I know it's tough, but I need you to stay on course." No reply. "Bulkhead?" Still, nothing. "Bulkhead! Bulkhead, answer me, you rustbucket!"

  "I- I'm here- ranger-" His voice was weak as it was.

  I let go a breath I didn't realize I was holding. "You had me scared, two ton."

  "I-I can't do it."

  "I do not want to hear that kind of talk. Especially from the likes of you. We both know you've made it through worse."

  He paused, probably thinking for a moment. "Not worse than this... not even the scraplets..."

  "Look, soldier," I said firmly. "You know as well as I do there is a mission and a reason why you take the mission."

  "Honor... duty... family."

  "Which is why you need to do whatever it takes to finish this job and come home safely!"

  He didn't reply again. "You're... right Fowler. I gotta dig deep... for the other Bots... for Miko."

  I saw him start moving on the monitor screen in front of me, and felt relief course through me. Come on, two ton. I watched as he climb up the last bit of the volcano, then paused.

  "Almost there..." He said, heaving his words.

  "That's right, soldier. Dump that rock and come on home." I encouraged him. Then a ringtone cut through the air, and I turned to see Finn make a grab for the one lying on the table.

  "Finn Ryen." He said, answering his phone. "What- Miko what are you talking about- Ok, ok, put me through." I gave him a questioning look, which he just shook his head to, and then cleared his voice, making it more official sounding. "Mr. Vogel, this is Agent Finn Ryen of the United States government. You are hereby deputized as an honorary agent for the department of, um, interstellar relations."

  He hung up after that and walked towards me, peering at my computer screen. "New York team is wrapping up. How's Bulkhead doing?"

  "Just fine- and dandy." The wrecker huffed. "The New York team-"

  "Miko's safe." Finn reassured him. "Mission accomplished."

  There was a pause before Bulkhead spoke again. "That's my girl..."

  After that, there was no reply, but I could see three other things there. The Insecticons. Bulkhead's silence only made me more nervous.

  "Bulkhead, do you read me? Bulkhead, please respond!"

[Amanda]

  With my eye still on Optimus' situation, I was barely aware of what else was going on. I knew Raf was opening a ground bridge, but I didn't know for who, and that Finn joined Agent Fowler to monitor Bulkhead's situation. But the details... they all flew by me.

  My screen flashed red all of a sudden, and my eyes widened as I realized what that meant. "Optimus! I'm reading a massive explosion at your position, are you okay?"

  "I am fine, Amanda." He replied, causing relief to wash through me. "But I do require transport."

  I glanced over my shoulder, seeing the open ground bridge. "You'll have to give it a minute, the others are coming through. Are you able to wait?"

  "Of course." He said in his calm, collected voice.

  "Did you end up getting the relic?" I asked.

  There was a pause. "Unfortunately, no. But I do believe the outcome of my mission will benefit us in the future."

  "You're being cryptic."

  "My apologies." I could hear the smile in his tone.

  "Look!" Raf jumped to his feet with a grin, causing me to spin around to see him pointing to the main computer screens of the base. "It's working!"

  As Ratchet walked through the open ground bridge into the base, Raf's excitement never dimmed.

  "Ratchet, come here!" He exclaimed and the medic shot him a questioning look before his eyes widened.

  "The Iacon database?" His tone was shocked.

  Raf nodded excitedly. "It's downloading into our mainframe!"

  Ratchet laughed in triumph. "Rafael, you are a genius!"

  "Bulkhead is coming through." Agent Fowler said, peering intently at his own screen.

  "I can't wait to share the news." Ratchet grinned and turned to greet the wrecker when he arrived.

  I smiled too, turning back to my laptop. "I'm sending the ground bridge after Bulkhead and the New York team comes through, since they've been waiting for a bit. See you then, Optimus."

  "Until then."

  I signed off and my gaze went to the open ground bridge once again. But, instead of seeing the wrecker drive or walk in, Bulkhead launched into the base, landing face first with thick, black smoke coming from his body. The moment he came through, it felt like someone punched the air out of me and horror filled me at the sight of him.

  "No!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.1K 1.3K 51
The final instalment of the Transformers Prime Series. Amanda Beckett knew the battle wasn't over, but she wasn't ready to fight again. Jack Darby s...
50.5K 1.6K 43
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."- Master Oogway --- ~ BOOK 1 OF THE LIGHTBLADE SERIES Fate sometimes leads us to vario...
57.8K 1.5K 33
Amelia Moore is Raf's babysitter since she was thirteen and has known Raf for three years. She is known to be cold and angry at everyone at Memorial...
3.7K 103 24
{Rated 'Mature' for violence, talk of human {and robot} experimentation, language, and other dark themes but sparkling cuteness will ensure.} Fifteen...