The Night That Changed Everyt...

By ChelciaGordon

We've all made mistakes before, right? But when Kayla Stewart makes the drunken mistake of falling into the b... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ!
IMPORTANT QUESTION - PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE
I needed to explain a couple of things to you, please read (Essential)
News: UPDATE
Chapter Fourty
Chapter 41
Happy New Year - I'm back!

Chapter Thirty One

30.9K 761 88
By ChelciaGordon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, how have you been? Happy July and I hope you all have a good month. This is a pretty long chapter and it was going to be longer but I decided to split it in two and start another chapter. If every reader could simply vote and comment their thoughts about this chapter, I would appreciate it SO much! I hope you enjoy and as always, I love and appreciate you all and thank you for reading!

P.S It's really early morning in London and I've stayed up to try and get this chapter up, so I haven't had the chance to really check for typos and errors etc, so please let me know if you see any!

Chelcia Xxx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kayla: 32 weeks pregnant

With my cool glass of water in one hand, I walk into the bedroom, seconds away from bringing the tall glass to my lips for my first sip. Catching sight of myself in the full length mirror inside, and immediately dissatisfied, I place my glass on the dressing table, before returning to my wardrobe to reconsider. My first resort was a white, sleeveless, above the knee lace dress, with white flowers printed into the lace which, according to the mirror that never fails to evoke my inner critique, makes me look like a pregnant nine year old girl. All it needs is rabbit buttons and two red ribbons in my hair. I pucker my lips; experimentally raising my hands to the side of my head as I grip my hair into bunches and stare into the mirror. I can’t arrive at my own baby shower looking like this. I place my hands on my hips and sigh at my reflection, gazing at my stomach that has swollen to a size that I didn’t think was possible. I find it hard to believe that it’s going to get bigger in the next several weeks. Nonetheless I smile, automatically cradling it as I feel him move inside, pressing his approximately four pound body against the walls of my stomach as he does so.

My thoughts return to my outfit, I’m feeling sceptical, because I know the tricks that my mind can play, especially at this stage in my pregnancy. I’ve had such a good morning so far and in all truth, I’m bursting with excitement for my shower this afternoon. So I don’t want to allow small things such as what I’m going to wear to bother me, not only for my own peace of my mind, but for the baby. But then again, it won’t help my state of mind either to attend my own baby shower looking like I’m attending my baptism, so I better find something that doesn’t make me look hideous.

More in acceptance than frustration and panic, I look away from the mirror and open wide my wardrobe. I own two more outfits that were brought especially for the occasion, and yes I did buy three dresses because I didn’t know which one I liked more. After moments of struggling out of the lace disaster, I let the dress fall to the floor. Stepping disapprovingly over the pile, I retrieve a white, v-neck, flowing maxi dress instead of the other white, knee-length swing dress with a dipped hem that hangs next to it. I press it against my body, picturing how it will look on and nod in approval. Ten minutes later, after carefully pulling the dress on, I feel comfortable and secure as well as classy and sexy. I leave the pearl stud earrings in place and remove my necklace, leaving my chest bare. I retouch my hair and light makeup, fixing the white flower crown headband in my hair, which Kasha insisted that I wear, before applying a little perfume to the base of my throat, more of which is now exposed. I hope I don’t look like those teenage girls who go to festivals with these flowers in my hair, because that’s more my fifteen year old sisters style.

“Well,” Damion says, startling my thoughts as I turn around to see him leaning against the dressing table with his eyebrows raised. My cheeks flush as I wonder how long he’s been standing there, watching me. “You look beautiful, Kayla,” he murmurs and smiles, his eyes glowing with love and something darker, something hot.

I flush at his compliment and turn to look at myself once more, “Really? I don’t look too overdressed, do I? And these flowers don’t look silly in my hair, do they?” I ask before turning back to face him.

He’s walking towards me and his eyes sweep over me from head to toe. “No, you look stunning and you’ve got to be the most beautiful and hottest Mom-to-be I’ve ever seen,” he says as he slides his arms around my waist, “Especially with these...” he murmurs whilst gazing at my breasts that have evidently gotten bigger in the last weeks.

I chuckle and roll my eyes, playfully pushing him away from me I go to sit on the edge of the neatly spread bed, before fixing the strap of my white Fendi, jelly flat, thong sandals that I treated myself to. “So are you still going out this evening?” I question.

“Yeah, I’m just going to this new bar by the beach with a couple of the boys for some drinks,” he explains.

“You better not drive if you’re going to drink,” I instruct. I’ve gotten so overprotective and cautious recently, especially after baby proofing the apartment, despite Damion’s constant complaint that it was way too early for it. I guess it’s just another one of my motherly instincts kicking it.

“Okay, Mom,” he jokes, as if reading my mind. He comes and lies down beside, his shirt lifting up as he crosses his arms behind his head, which reveals his lower, perfectly defined abdomen. Feeling playful, I trail my finger down his stomach to his oh-so-happy trail. He laughs and captures my hand, immediately raising his head to look at me but with narrowed eyes. He then smiles his brilliant smile before saying, “Oh no you don’t, Miss Stewart,” he chuckles, “Don’t you start teasing me like that.” He sits upright beside me and with my hand still under his grip and his eyes still gleaming at me, he kisses it and I smirk at him, teasingly biting my lip as I do so.

He chuckles and then asks, “So, are you driving to your Mom’s house or is someone coming to get you?”

“What is it with everyone thinking my legs and arms have suddenly become paralysed?” I ask, shaking my head, “I can still drive,” I state.

“I was only asking, Miss extremely defensive,” he says, playfully nudging my arm with his elbow which causes me to roll my eyes and smile. “Are you sure you won’t be tired to drive back?” he then asks.

“No, I’ll be okay.”

Thirty minutes later, after being told to wait at home a little longer by Kasha who sounded very busy; I’m finally ready to leave. Damion in his shorts, a blue t shirt and blue flip-flops follows me outside to my car. As we walk around to the back of the building to the parking lot, I pause, bringing my hand to my lower back and sensing my pain, Damion begins to rub it and I sigh in relief. I don’t know what I’d do without him sometimes.

“Are you sure you want to drive?” he asks.

“Yes,” I say, as the pain eases.

We continue to the car as I search my purse for the keys to my car. I click open my Ford Fiesta Zetec and open the passenger door first, placing my purse on the empty seat before closing it and returning to Damion who’s standing there, watching me with his hands tucked in his back pockets.

I raise my head and press a kiss on his lips and he closes his eyes before saying, “Have fun, baby.”

I kiss him once more and then say, “I will and you too,” before adding, “And don’t do anything stupid, because I know how you are when you’re with your friends, especially when you’ve been drinking,” I say, pursing my lips.

“When have I ever done anything stupid?” he asks, trying to withhold a smile with failure. I shake my hand and smile and he kisses me on my temple before saying, “Drive safely,” as I enter the car.

I start up the engine and reverse out of my space in the parking lot before switching on the sound system and causing the car interior to be filled with my favourite Destiny’s Child album. As I drive away, I give Damion a small smile and he walks off into the opposite direction.

It’s not a long drive to my mother’s house, roughly thirty minutes if there’s minimal traffic. My stomach twitches with excitement and anticipation as I wonder what my afternoon holds. Since Kasha’s persuasion, well more like instruction that I have a baby shower, she’s been working hard in secret ever since, and I can’t wait. I’m so glad that I agreed to have a baby shower, I’d have been so upset in the long run if I didn’t.

The only thing that I know about it is that it’s being held in my mother’s garden, I’ve been told to wear white and this flower crown around my head. My Mom’s gardens really nice and spacious and the weather is beautiful today, so I’m sure it’s going to be lovely. Besides, anything that Kasha organises is usually amazing, always a little over the top, but nonetheless amazing as the thought and attention to detail is enough to make anyone feel special. I remember when she threw me a surprise twenty-first birthday party and I have two words, cocktails and strippers. I smile at the memory and turn the music up a little louder, swaying my head in rhythm to the music.

Fifteen minutes later, I press down on the gas and the car purrs to seventy miles per hour on the traffic free highway. With the warm, early afternoon, breeze blowing in my hair, I feel free. As I come to a traffic light, the breeze subsides as I bring the car to a halt. I quickly remove the CD, which has been played way too many times, and switch to a local radio station instead before, at a slower speed, I continue the remainder of my journey.

Within ten minutes, I’m in my Mom’s neighbourhood, the one that I grew up in and I feel so at home. Oh how I’ve missed this place. I park the car in my Mom’s driveway, next to my fathers Honda and Kasha’s white Range Rover. There are two weighted, blue and white balloons at either side of the door as well as a blue ‘Baby shower’ banner draped across the door, the letters in white and the background in blue and I can’t contain my beam as I walk towards the door.  I knock with the all too familiar, lion shaped, brass door knocker and wait in anticipation for it to open, trying to conceal my excitement. I don’t know why I’m so excited, like I can’t put my finger on why, but I feel like a kid on their way to Disney World. Within seconds, the door extends open and I’m greeted by my mother who instantly smiles and envelops me into a hug. Oh Mom!

I fight back unwelcomed tears and smile into her shoulder and then says, “You look so lovely, darling,” as she holds my shoulders at arm length to get a full view of me from head-to-toe. “You’re absolutely glowing and the baby,” she says, letting out a motherly, awe-felt tut, bringing her hand to her heart as she glances at my stomach, “He’s getting so big, it’s what, only a couple of weeks now?” she asks, gently cupping my stomach in her hands.

“Eight,” I correct her, giggling.

“Oh, well come inside,” she says as she closes the door behind me, “Kasha has been working so hard, she’s literally been here from seven this morning getting everything perfect for you,” she explains as I follow her into the house. I can hear voices chattering in the distance above light music, and I suddenly feel nervous. I haven’t got a clue who’s here or what’s happening, or whether Kasha wants me to do anything crazy or bizarre. I’m not sure I like surprises anymore.

“Kayla’s here!” Mom calls out as we walk towards the garden, which causes the voices to quieten.

I walk into the garden and I gasp with surprise, my mouth immediately opening to form a wide tooth filled smile, bringing my hands to cup my face as I gaze around at the garden filled with my closest friends and family. There are blue and white tulips all over the garden in bouquets and baby baskets and in tall, beautiful vases. Along the fence, there are more triangle shaped banners with ‘Happy baby shower’ and ‘It’s a boy’ written on them. To my far right, there’s a small white tent and underneath is a long rectangular table, covered in a blue table cloth. It’s decorated in what looks like tiny baby items. In the middle, there’s a pyramid of the most delicious looking blue and white, iced cupcakes. It’s surrounded by bowls of sweets and chocolate lollipops that stand tall in the cutest blue baby shoe cups. To my left there’s another table, this time filled with presents of all shapes and sizes and finally, I turn to look at the guests who stand smiling at me. My eyes quickly scan them all, taking in all the familiar faces, which I love, and I bring my hands to my chest as I see that they’re which are all wearing matching flower crowns. Did Kasha seriously organise all of this? For me?

I’m not sure how long I stand there, struck with utter happiness and muteness as I absorb the scenery and everything that’s happening, before Kasha comes half running, half walking towards me. With her arms wide open, she throws them around me and squeals, and I laugh as I hug her as tight as my stomach will allow me to, mumbling thank you after thank you into her ear. I blink back my tears and she lets me go as everybody begins to cheer.

With my smile still plastered across my face, I turn to the nearest person and it’s my little sister Natalie. I was face timing her this morning and she didn’t even mention one thing that was happening. I drag her into a hug and she hugs me so tightly before saying, “You look so cute in this dress, it’s like you’re a princess.”

I laugh and reply, “You should have seen me before I changed into it.”

She chuckles and takes her Nikon camera, taking a selfie of the two of us before taking out her iPhone and taking another. I then make my way to all of the guests, cousins, aunts, the girls from work, close college friends, hugging and talking to them all. Natalie stays by my side through the most of the greetings, taking a variety of pictures and in her words ‘capturing the memories’.

After greeting probably over fifteen people, I gasp as I see Emma, Damion’s sister and his Mom, Judy, standing together. Emma beams and draws me into a hug as she says, “You look so lovely, and I’ve missed you so much!”

“I can’t believe you guys are here!” I say, turning to hug Judy who places a kiss on my cheek, “Did you really make the journey down for today?”

They nod in unison, “We couldn’t have missed it, I mean you’re practically family now,” Judy says, leading me to flush.

“Thank you so much,” I smile as I continue, “Does Damion know you guys are here?”

“Yeah, we saw him this morning,” Emma explains.

“What? So he kept it a secret all this time?” I question, shaking my head as I continue to smile. We begin to talk about the baby, my pregnancy and Damion before they feel my stomach in hope for a kick which leads me to laugh.

All heads turn to Kasha as she clears her throat and successfully grabs everyone’s attention. “Attention everyone!” she says, “There’s loads of food inside, so come inside and get something to eat and if you haven’t given me your baby pictures yet, then please do because we’re starting the games shortly!”

Baby pictures? My cousin Annemarie from New York links my arm and we walk inside together.

We spend the next thirty minutes nibbling on tasty treats, from mini burgers and hotdogs, fruit salads and pastas, to Doritos and cookies. There’s not a minute where I’m not smiling. From seeing all of my friends, and family that I haven’t seen in a while, to talking about the baby which I will never get bored of. Everything is just making me feel so happy. There’s no other word to describe how I feel except happy.

After everyone has tasted all of the goodies that my Mom has prepared, we follow Kasha’s instructions and retreat to the garden to sit around in a big circle on white garden chairs. Firstly, Kasha and Natalie pass around a ball of yarn and a pair of scissors, instructing everyone to cut the length of the string they think corresponds to the size of my stomach. All of my previous nervous feelings disappear as I stand in the middle of the circle as in turn, each woman comes up to me, tries their luck and measures my stomach with an either too long or too short string which causes everyone to laugh.

We continue to play games such as guess the baby photo, and bottle chugging and probably the most funniest to watch, baby twister. After blowing up balloons and putting them up their tops and dresses, I fall about laughing as I watch everybody making complete fools of themselves as they navigate through the body-twisting game.

Kasha joins my side and links my arm. “Are you having fun?” she asks, grinning.

“How could I not be? You’ve put so much thought into everything, it’s amazing!” I say.

We both laugh as Emma falls on her stomach, popping her balloon. Within seconds, the remaining players begin to fall and collapse onto the floor like dominoes, their balloon stomachs popping and sounding like small scale fireworks.

“I knew you would,” she then grins in approval, “Now come on,” she says, taking my hand “It’s present opening time.”

Everybody gathers around and present after present is passed to me. Before I know it, I’m surrounded by baby grows, stuffed toys, the cutest little outfits and brightly coloured, singing toys. I can’t stop saying thank you with every present that I open and tearing up as I look at the adorable garments.

As the evening draws near, the shower comes to an end. I hug everybody goodbye, take some more pictures and express my final appreciations.

“Thank you so much for coming,” I say as the final guest, one of my cousins, hugs me goodbye. “Have a safe journey home and text me when you reach.”

“I hope I get to see you before the baby’s born because I’ll love to meet your new boyfriend, but if I don’t, I’ll definitely be there to visit you both when he’s born,” she explains, hugging me once more before kissing my on both cheeks.

She hugs Kasha goodbye and we smile and wave goodbye as we watch her drive off into the distance before closing the door behind us. I take Kasha’s hand and we walk to the living room, hand in hand like we used to do in fifth grade. We sit back on the couch and sigh in unison as we melt into the comfy leather.

My hands rest on my stomach and I gently rub it as I say, “Thank you for such a great day.” It’s true; I have had a great day. I loved simply having fun and celebrating my little bundle of joy with everyone that I love.

She turns to look at me and smiles, “You’re welcome.”

“I’m so exhausted,” I mumble, dreading the car journey back home. I wish I could fly, or simply teleport. Maybe I should have taken Damion’s offer to pick me up.  But I don’t want to ruin his night out with his friends. I haven’t spoken to him since I left the apartment and I miss him. I wonder what he’s doing, probably getting eyed up by a tonne of eager girls that have no chance with him, because he’s my beautiful boyfriend and I’m his girlfriend. The thought causes me to smile a proud and smug smile spreads across my face.

“What are you smiling at?” Kasha asks, raising her eyebrow.

I let out a tired laugh before saying, “Just everything.”

She smiles a knowing smile before asking, “Okay, so how are we going to get all of these gifts to your apartment?”

“We can put the clothes and toys in my trunk and on the back seat and the rest can stay here for now,” I explain, “I can’t believe he’s got so many toys and cute little clothes, if only he could see them,” I then say.

She chuckles before saying, “Okay, you stay here and I’ll do it for you.”

She sits upright and loosely ties her curls in a ponytail before setting about packing up all of the presents. I briefly close my eyes and absorb the tranquillity of the room before standing and walking to the kitchen, taking a chocolate biscuit from the table before joining my Mom and sister inside. Natalie’s sitting at the island, taking a bite out of an Oreo cupcake as she watches my Mom load the dishwasher.

“You could actually help her,” I say as I take a seat next to my sister, “Instead of sitting on your ass and simply watching her.”

“It’s not like she’s actually washing them,” Natalie says before taking another bite, “She doesn’t need any help,” she mumbles, her mouth half filled with cupcake. I roll my eyes at her. I know she’s still a teenager and she’s going through that ridiculous stage but she can be so inconsiderate sometimes. “I’m going to put all of the pictures from today on my laptop and then make an album and email them to you,” she says, before throwing the cupcake wrapper in the bin and strolling upstairs and to her room.

I watch my Mom as she continues to fill the dishwasher and I smile at her, feeling grateful. “Do you need any help?” I ask.

She turns around and shakes her head, “I’m fine, darling,” she says, before washing her hands and coming to join me. “I can’t believe how grown-up and beautiful you look right now. Beginning a new life... your own little family... I just don’t know where time went,” she says as she takes a seat.

“Neither do I, Mom.”

“You’ll be fine though,” she continues as she gently tucks a loose tendril of hair behind my ear and strokes my chin. “I’m still trying to get my head around everything, but you’re a big girl now and you’ve got to make your own decisions, and I know you’ll make the right ones.”

I nod and softly smile at her, “I know and I just hope so.”

“And how are things with you and Damion?” she asks, “You don’t have to go into details.”

I think about it and smile. Things are actually good for once. There’s no Rosie causing trouble, in fact, I haven’t seen her since the last time she came to the apartment. And I don’t think she’s been in contact with Damion either. And Derek, well I don’t know what he’s doing but he’s stopped with the constant texts and stalking. It’s as if everything’s just falling into place and at the right time. Damion and I have been spending so much time together and getting everything ready for the baby and it feels good to have no distractions for once.

“From that look in your eyes, I’m guessing they’re good?” she asks, tilting her head as she looks at me, trying to read my thoughts.

My cheeks flush and I nod in agreement. “Yes, Mom,” I say, “Things are good.”

Within thirty minutes, my car is filled with as many items as Kasha could fit inside. Natalie, Mom and Kasha follow me towards the car and all hug and kiss me goodbye.

“Thank you so much again for everything,” I say to Kasha, hugging her and thanking her for possibly the twentieth time that day.

She snuggles into my neck and giggles, “It’s okay, you deserve it.”

I start up the engine and reverse into the empty road, pressing my horn to say goodbye as I drive away and into the sunset. Less than thirty minutes later, I park my car into the building’s parking lot. Making my way into the apartment lobby and into the elevator, I simply drag my feet along the floor. My feet are beyond exhausted; I could do with soaking them in warm water with one of them soaps that Mom got me.

Seconds later, I step out of the elevator and walk towards our apartment door, my hand lost in my purse as I search for my bunch of keys. I really should search for them before I get to the door because I can never find them. As I take the bunch of keys from out of my purse and bring it to the keyhole, I realise that the doors open. I freeze, my body running cold as I fight the sudden uneasy knot in my stomach

Damion can’t be back already, right? Right? Unless he came home early and called it a night, but that’s not like him. Or maybe he simply forgot to close the door when he left. I mean this guy, he’s so forgetful sometimes. Despite my thoughts of reassurance, a creeping cold fear grips my heart as I slowly push open the door, a creaking noise sounding as it extends open. I pause, the hairs on my body beginning to stand up as my free hand searches the wall for the light switch, the keys still gripped in my other. I find it and switch it on, and light immediately fills the living room.  I hesitantly step inside, looking around as I do so as I call out, “Damion...”

The couches, the Mac on the dining table next to an empty glass, the TV remote resting on the armrest of one of the couches, everything’s just as I left it. I exhale, releasing the breath I didn’t even realise I was holding as I turn around to close the door. I lock the door with the key, still feeling slightly uneasy as I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear before turning back around. I’ll probably call him to see where he - My heart clenches causing my mouth to part open, a quiet but fearful gasp escaping my mouth. My scalp and every hair follicle on my head stands up in terror and my world stops spinning. All blood runs from my face as my heart begins to beat in fear and my throat contracts with panic. It’s Derek, standing meters in front of me, gazing directly at me with bloodshot eyes and an unnerving expression, holding a gun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please comment your thoughts and please vote if you haven't already. Stay tuned for the next chapter which will be up shortly and thank you for reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

556K 19.6K 27
I've found a reason for me To change who I used to be A reason to start over new And the reason is you Eighteen Faith Miller is your average teenage...
19K 562 32
Lucas Dawson doesn't believe in love. Doesn't even have a heart, according to some, so why should he care if his lovers cousin has nowhere to stay a...
20.8K 1K 55
Theodetia Hamilton has finally decided to give herself into commitment, to give herself a chance to relationship, so since that is the case, she deci...
263K 8.6K 20
*Wattpad Exclusive* Kayla White's world is shattered when she gets pregnant at nineteen. Her dreams of becoming an olympic swimmer were crushed while...