Courage ✔

By Venomis

[Completed. 107.100 words] After being a captive of goblins for weeks, Alyssae is rescued by dwarfs. As Bilbo... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 21

2.2K 97 7
By Venomis

Thranduin could not believe his ears when the truth dawned on him. "When?"

She tried to look away, but he managed to catch her glance time after time.

"He was drunk, I had betrayed him and he just found out he was in love with me," she grumbled.

Thranduin looked at the welts on her neck. First, he'd believed she had incurred them in the woods and that they had been bleached by the magic of the water. An absurd thought, but how could he have suspected she was attacked by one of her friends?

"Please don't blame him, Thranduin." She fell to her knees and stared at him. "Save him. Please."

He sighed. Of course, he couldn't do anything but help in front of the eyes of his mourning lover and eleven pairs of tearing dwarf eyes. He lifted the man off the ground and put him carefully on the bed.

"Put on some proper clothes first," he mumbled as his fiance sat down on the edge of the bed.

Alyssae looked him briefly in the eye, then nodded, walked to a linen closet in which some of his travel cloaks were hanging and put it around her shoulders.

"I can't do much more," Thranduin said, "except bandaging his wounds."

He gave Tauriel a penetrating look, who quickly walked away to get some bandages and disinfecting salves.

"I need rest before I can continue to heal him."

"You can go to my room," Alyssae suggested. "There is nobody now."

Her eyes were aimed at the face of the dwarf. Her fingers held his powerless hand.

Thranduin didn't like to leave her behind, but he knew he would find no rest with so many people around him. He waited until Tauriel came back, but she did not hand over the bandages.

"I can do this." She showed him a smile. "Try to get some sleep."

Thranduin nodded and kissed Alyssae's hair. "He will be fine."

She tore loose her glance and looked at him. Traces of tears seemed to be engraved in her cheeks forever.

"Thank you for everything, Thranduin. I have no words to describe your kindness."

He smiled watery, knowing it was not only kindness Alyssae was longing for. If she loved such a rash, tough man as Thorin, she would never develop feelings for him.

He left behind the dwarves and walked to Alyssae's room, where he fell on the bed exhausted. He didn't remove his clothes and his head sank into his pillow. He inhaled her scent once before he closed his eyes.

Thranduin woke up startled when somebody knocked on the door. Before he could respond, the door swung open and three elves stepped inside.

"What are you doing here?" they asked in surprise when they saw his sleepy face.

"What are you doing here?" Thranduin stroke back. He felt a little stronger but was not fit.

"His majesty wants to talk to the princess, my lord."

A growl escaped his lips. "His majesty stays away from my fiance."

"Unfortunately that is not up to you," one of the elves spoke. "Even more, she will be thrown in the dungeons if she refuses to start a conversation."

Thranduin sighed but took the men to his room. He had no choice and everything would only become worse if he made his uncle angry.

With a sullen face, he opened the door of his room. The dwarves lay scattered all over the floor and Alyssae lay on her side on the bed, next to Thorin, her sad look aimed at his battered face. Her fingers stroked his hair.

Thranduin looked for a moment at the dwarf prince. In the sunlight, his wounds didn't look much better, but he would survive.

"Thranduil insists to speak to you, Alyssae." He got goosebumps when he remembered the words his uncle had spoken to her yesterday.

"Tomorrow you will decide whether your other dear dwarf friends will live or die."

Alyssae glanced double-minded at him, but then strengthened her shoulders. "And he will speak to me," she answered firmly. She left the bed and walked to the door.

For a moment her hand disappeared under her cape. He saw a metal object which she gave to a dwarf with a strange headgear. Then she left the room with a raised head.

. . .

Alyssae clenched her fists as the elf king walked toward her with a serene face. She knew she had to watch her tongue, for the last thing she wanted was to make things worse.

Thranduil did not directly speak to her, but first walked around her, while studying her from top to toe. "You are a beautiful elf, Alyssae."

Her eyebrows furrowed and she had no idea what to answer. "If you say so," she said eventually, full of restrained anger.

"I am not surprised you have succeeded to teach the dwarves what real beauty is."

Alyssae did not know what he was heading for and kept standing still. She was aware of the fact that the room was empty. She was unarmed, which was probably for the best because she would have drawn her sword otherwise to avenge Thorin.

"I heard the dwarf survived the night?"

Her eyes flamed, but she kept her calmness. She was satisfied to see that she didn't respond as he hoped.

"Did you really think I would send the dwarves away?" he asked disdainfully. "Since the moment they entered my kingdom, the future of our king under the mountain was set. All I had to do, was wait until he made a mistake. You were his weak spot."

Alyssae got the feeling her breath was beaten out of her lungs. Sudden nausea came up, while tears burned in her eyes. The fact that he had tortured Thorin on purpose, instead of that being the result of an impulse or drunkenness, made her legs weak.

"Why?" she whispered.

Thranduil smiled darkly. "I wanted to humiliate him because he humiliated my kin. And he would have done no different as he was the one sitting on a throne."

Alyssae squeezed her eyes. She wanted to leave this musty room, where the atmosphere seemed to be poisoned. "He is not like his forefathers."

The elf king looked right into her eyes. "You will take back your words. I have seen it. You will choose to be with him, but he will destroy your life. And not only yours. You will wish he would have bled to death in my dungeon."

Alyssae refused to believe his lies, but she thought to see some empathy in his eyes, which confused her.

"The dwarves have something which belongs to my people," he continued. "Thrór forced us to hand it over and I want it back."

Alyssae looked at him. "Well, you've spoiled that chance."

He bowed towards her. His breath stroked her face and she got ice cold. "You think Thorin would have given away the slightest part of his riches?"

"More than he would do now."

The smirk that played around his lips, made her shiver. "That is why you will take them."

"I'm not going to do anything for you," she replied angrily as she raised her hand to slap him.

His fingers however folded around her wrist and pushed her arm down. He pulled her closer so that their noses brushed. "If you refuse to promise me my possessions, all dwarves will rot in my cells. They will all bleed to death and my kind-hearted nephew wouldn't get the chance to save them."

Alyssae glared coldly at him, but she could do nothing but approve, even though the words couldn't come over her lips. "What possessions?" she grumbled.

"Gems."

She let go of her breath. The dwarves would probably have more than enough of them.

"If I find out you cheated on me, I will send all my men after you to kill the dwarves. After all, there are only twelve, Alyssae. Think carefully about your decision."

"You leave me no choice," she snarled.

"You always have a choice. You owe them nothing."

"I owe you nothing as well."

He shrugged. "But I keep the life threads of the dwarves in my hand and I warn you: some start to stretch out dangerously."

Alyssae sighed deeply. The dwarves would never agree. They probably rather fought until they were dead than that they would give anything to Thranduil. Although they didn't need to know. She knew they would offer her a part of Erebor's wealth, even though she didn't need anything. She could ask for the gems and send them in secrecy to Thranduil. "Fine."

"I knew you would make a wise decision."

Alyssae didn't respond and looked questioning at him. "What gems?"

"White gems of pure starlight," Thranduil answered. "And the Arkenstone."

"Gems of pure starlight and the Arkenstone," Alyssae repeated aloud. She'd never heard of both jewels. "Okay."

She wanted to turn around, but Thranduil started to laugh. "I am sorry princess, but your word alone won't be enough." He grabbed her upper arm and whispered a spell while placing his hand on her belly. Her skin started to glow and she wanted to pull loose, but the grasp of the elf king was too strong.

"What have you done?" she hissed as she saw his triumphant face.

"Your lap is cursed until you have paid your debt. You can't give birth as long as the gems are not in my possession."

"What?" Alyssae asked in disbelief. "How can you do such a thing? You know how important it is as a princess to give birth to children!"

Thranduil stared coldly at her. "I assume it is an unnecessary precaution."

Alyssae placed her hands on her belly. She couldn't comprehend that the elf king had just made her infertile. "You're insane!"

"Do as you promised and nothing will happen. You can bear as many children as you like and all your little dwarf friends will be spared."

"And how do I know you won't break your oath?"

The corners of his mouth curled upwards. "That, my dear princess, is something you can only hope for. I suggest you leave now before I change my mind."

"You will have to heal Thorin first."

The elf king turned around. "Despite the incredible performance your fiance showed yesterday, you obviously still underestimate him."

After those words, the door opened and Alyssae dashed outside. She was confused because of the order Thranduil had given her and the consequences when she would fail. Then the elves would march towards Erebor and she could never give birth to a child.

She however forgot everything when the dwarves caught her eye, who had gathered in the marketplace. They talked excitedly to each other and she ran down the stairs.

The men gave way to her so that one dwarf stood in the middle.

Even before she reached him, tears ran down her face. She wrapped her arms around him and held him so tight he gasped for breath.

A little ashamed she stepped back. Shocked she stared at Thorin, who had died yesterday when she was with him.

"I can't believe this," she whispered.

He grinned a bit rashly. Her fingers stroked his face. The wounds were still visible, but he looked like he had only wrestled through a thorny bush.

"It is really you."

"It -"

Alyssae didn't give him the room to respond. She pressed her lips against his and closed her eyes. Thorin answered her kiss immediately.

Their kiss was intense and passionate as if they knew it could be their last. Alyssae felt so much love she didn't even think about Thranduil's tricks, nor about Fili and Thranduin who watched them with wry feelings.

Her tongue touched his and her hand rested under his hair on the back of his head. For a moment she pulled back her face to look into Thorin's eyes, who seemed a little baffled that she kissed him in public. She didn't care. He made her forget all her sorrows and she felt comforted in his love.

Her mouth found his soft lips again. Softly her tongue glided along the edge of his teeth, after which she caressed his tongue again. She tingled from top to toe and she had the feeling Thranduil's curse was put to an end immediately. He had tried to take away Thorin from her and he hadn't succeeded. He would never succeed.

When she thought to taste blood, she left him alone quickly.

"Are you okay?" she asked nervously.

"I never expected heaven to be so perfect," he whispered with a husky voice. His lip bled, but he didn't seem to notice.

It however was not his words that put a smile on her face, nor the kiss that she had longed for. It was his cheerful eyes that looked full of love towards her. Eyes from which the tears had disappeared and in which she saw only herself reflected.

. . .

Actually Thorin didn't want to let her go, since he was afraid she was the umpteenth illusion. Still, Alyssae called up so many feelings he didn't believe his mind was capable of creating this all by itself. He had the feeling he had received a second chance to live. That he might start all over again. And this beginning, by which his lips were blended with those of the elf princess before he could even say a word, was a welcome surprise, directly pushing all the pain to the background.

Despite everything, he felt very uncomfortable under the spectating looks of his men, and above all the fiance of Alyssae, whom he didn't even dare to look at. Thorin had no idea why the elf had saved his life because he knew he would have done nothing to help him. He had even thrown a vase at his head because he could no longer see him with Alyssae!

He owed him everything, but his first expression of thankfulness was kissing his fiance right under his nose. His eyes were aimed at his men, instead of Thranduin, but some of their faces alarmed him as well. Fili had turned his face away, Gloin snored resentfully and Balin seemed disappointed, by which he wondered if he had made a mistake again.

"What did Thranduil say?' Thranduin broke the tense silence. His face didn't show his feelings and he only looked at Alyssae.

"He will kill us if we ever enter his kingdom again."

"Then it might be better if we go," Tauriel said softly.

Thorin looked aside annoyed, to the elf who was standing next to Kili. He looked questioning at his nephew.

"She's coming with us."

For a moment he was perplexed by this announcement. He understood he couldn't send away Thranduin, but there was no reason why another elf would come with them.

"Of course," Gloin sniveled. "Well lads, should we find ourselves a pretty elf too?"

Dori and Ori made indignant sounds as well and Thorin sighed. He did understand their reaction since it had taken a lot of time before he trusted Alyssae. Still, Tauriel was different. She was a captain and was close to Thranduil.

"Tauriel belongs here, Kili," he sighed.

"Who are you to decide where she belongs? You of all people should know why she wants to leave this sick place. Who wants to live here, with such an insane king?"

Alyssae took his hand. "Tauriel can always come with me to Chyndall, but don't leave her behind."

Thorin sighed again but agreed. He wouldn't consider leaving Alyssae behind and Kili had probably come to the same decision.

Alyssae let go of his hand. "I will get my clothes so that we can leave."

He nodded and rather wanted to go with her, so he knew nobody would hurt her, but she had already survived a meeting with Thranduil. Furthermore, he didn't want his men to get even more irritated. It was probably for the best if he didn't seek a rapprochement with her, but he doubted he would succeed, knowing their time together was limited. On the one hand, he believed he had the right to do whatever he wanted, but on the other hand, there were only a few men who were loyal to him and he didn't want to put their loyalty at stake.

It didn't take long before Alyssae returned with the few possessions she had. She showed him a smile that warmed his heart and he wanted to pull her in his arms again, but he fought the longing and walked towards the gate, where some elves were stationed.

Thorin didn't even look at them, but Alyssae and Thranduin thanked them for their hospitality. There however was one man that kept staying on the road, whom Thorin recognized as the son of Thranduil. His eyes were aimed at Tauriel.

"Father ordered you can't leave the city."

Thorin's eyes flashed aside, to the female elf, who became pale.

"Does he want to keep me here as a prisoner?" she asked in shock.

"I know my father made mistakes," the elf sighed, "but you belong here, with us. We need you!" He took a deep breath. "He will send men after you as you leave without his permission and I'm afraid he won't let you walk free any longer." He swallowed and looked at Kili. "Nor will he."

Tears jumped in Tauriel's eyes, but his words made her change her mind immediately.

"Then I will obey and stay here."

Kili shook his head, but Tauriel was determined.

"I don't want to burden you with more trouble." She stroked Kili's face and kissed his lips, by which Thorin turned away his face embarrassed. 

. . .

Kili tried to swallow the lump in his throat. He attempted to put a good face on because she was the one that had to stay in these awful woods, but she could accept her fate more easily.

"I promised you," he whispered, kissing her lips once more.

Tauriel stroked his cheek. "You have your responsibilities in Erebor, just like I have mine here. Legolas is right: I might not be royal, but I want to bring joy to the lives of the ones around me. It's too easy to flee and start all over somewhere else. I think I would never forgive myself."

Kili didn't know what to answer. He knew they just started their relationship, but he hadn't been often in love and he didn't want to give her up. He didn't want to leave her with such a ruthless monster.

"I will come to you," she whispered, looking deep into his eyes. "I will visit you as soon as I can."

She gave him one more short kiss but then turned around to embrace Alyssae, Thranduin, Bofur, Fili, and Bombur. When she was ready, she stood beside Legolas.

"Go well."

Kili searched for words. There were many things he wanted to say, but he couldn't formulate the right sentences and in the end, he just turned his face away. Silently he walked past the others.

"Things will be all right," Alyssae whispered and she put a hand on his shoulder. "When you got back Erebor, we will visit you frequently."

Kili smiled slightly, but he had the feeling he had to wait for that moment for a whole era. The fact that Alyssae would also leave, didn't make things better. Certainly not because he was afraid his uncle would show some Thranduil traits when she was gone.

The atmosphere was ghastly, and that was not only caused by his own loaded mind. The breathing of his uncle became heavier with every step he took and Kili noticed Alyssae watched him with growing sorrow. They were on the way for only a few hours when he already walked like a drunk, needing several breaks. The straight-backed, invincible man he had known was nowhere to be found. It seemed as if even a puff of wind could take away his life.

"Is there nothing more you can do for him?" Kili grumbled to the elf, who shook his head sadly.

"Whatever magic I will use, his body will have to supplement its own reserves. He needs rest."

Kili knew for sure he wouldn't get his rest in the coming days. After all, they were still hunted and they had no idea how close their enemies were. As if that danger wasn't enough, monstrous spiders and other filthy insects were waiting for them, hidden in the shadows of the trees.

"And if he can't get that rest?"

Thranduin looked briefly at him but didn't answer. Kili didn't want to give up, but fear squeezed his heart more and more. Every time he thought things were going better, a dark almighty creature seemed to be ready to make the next move.

. . .

They were forced to set a camp when Thorin fell to the ground. A fire wasn't lit, since they were afraid it would attract unwanted visitors and they skipped dinner as well.

Kili sat down next to his brother and some others at the border of the path and looked at his uncle, who was lying on the ground and had lost his consciousness.

"What do you think?" he asked softly.

"He'll manage," Bofur answered optimistically. "A kiss of Alys will surely give him strength."

Kili mumbled something inaudible. He didn't like Thorin and Alyssae together. She made a better match with Fili, although he believed his uncle deserved some love as well. Still, he knew Thorin would mess it up sooner or later like he had done so many times since he'd met Alyssae.

Bofur studied his face with raised eyebrows, but Kili didn't intend to share his feelings. He lowered down to the ground, folded his arms beneath his head, and tried to discern the sky between the thick leaves while thinking about Tauriel and trying to immortalize her face in his memory. He knew he wouldn't succeed. With time the memory of her face would fade and become more and more unclear, until she became an illusion, showing only a few similarities with reality. It was a disturbing thought that didn't let go of him and was connected with the loss of his father, so many years ago, which made him feel even worse.

Would Thorin soon become a memory as well? Was all hope for a better life lost and would he wither in a dark wood like this forever, thinking about everything he almost had held in his hands but was snatched away just before he could close his fingers?

. . .

As the days passed, the dwarves became more and more despairing. Thorin stood still on his legs, but the speed they needed to keep, took its toll.

Alyssae feared for his life. It kept her out of sleep at night, because her sorrows were so enormous. Every morning Thranduin practiced some spells to alleviate the pain, but what he really needed was rest.

During the day she didn't take her eyes off him. His comrades helped him, even though she wanted to hold him badly. She however found it hard to come near. The first time she'd kissed him, had been an impulse. She'd been so glad he was alive that she hadn't even thought about it. Now however there were plenty of aggravating thoughts. His men were worried about him and put more faith in Thranduin than in her since some still believed it was her fault Thorin had ended up in the dungeons in the first place.

Furthermore, she couldn't forget Gloin's words. The fear that his king would change into a sugary, love-sick man right before his eyes seemed to be his worst fear, although Alyssae knew that would never happen.

Thorin remained a stubborn and not always so heart-warming dwarf and he wouldn't change because of this. She didn't expect anything like that from him, for she loved him for who he was - even though it was gorgeous when he exchanged his grim face for a smile now and then.

Finally, her own amorous feelings were tempered by the last conversation she had had with the elf king. Her womb was cursed. She would never bear children if she wouldn't succeed in giving him those stupid stones and there were plenty of things that were in her way, starting with a group of weakened companions and a bloodthirsty dragon.

She suddenly bumped into Thranduin, who stood still. His gaze was aimed at the distance and his face petrified.

"What's wrong?" she asked anxiously.

"They are waiting for us."

Alyssae got cold. "Who?" she asked, hoping - against odds - that it was a delegation of elf soldiers. Maybe Tauriel was with them, ready to come with them anyway. Maybe she had persuaded some elves to join her and ...

"Orcs. We're approaching the border of Mirkwood and I can feel their malice, smell their unwashed bodies and I even think I can see them."

Alyssae looked worried at Thorin, who moved ahead with a grim face.

"Maybe I should take a look."

"No," Thorin answered bluntly. "You stay here."

Alyssae exchanged a look with Thranduin, but then ignored his order and climbed into one of the trees without starting a discussion. She didn't want to exhaust him with a tiring twist. She understood his fear that something would happen to her, especially when he was not able to protect her, but she believed her safety wasn't more important than that of others.

She felt much healthier than the last time she'd climbed into a tree and taking a look at the edge of the wood was no immense task.

A few moments later she looked down while she sat on a thick branch. A quiver shot down her spine when she saw Azog sitting on his white warg, scanning the road before him. She knew he couldn't see or hear the dwarves, but that would only be a matter of time.

She just wanted to turn around silently when one of the orcs started to scream. Curiously she glanced over her shoulder, but before she could discover the source of the agitation she felt an unexpected pain in her calf. In a reflex, she waved her arm around her lower leg, by which she hit a thick, black arrow. Blood bubbled up from the hole and she cursed softly, while flames of pain tried to push her off her seat.

With clenched jaws, she broke the arrow in two, but she didn't dare to take it out, afraid she would hurt herself even more. Thranduin would fix it. She tried to climb down, but her injured leg couldn't cope with the weight. She lost her balance and fell down.

That there was magic in these woods that didn't want to speed up her dead, became clear when something invisible broke her fall so she landed on the ground softly. More couldn't be done for her, because she was pulled to her feet roughly by two orcs.

Alyssae however got the chance to draw her sword and chop off the arm of one of them to free herself from his grasp. Black blood splattered on her face and she turned away her head while she tore loose.

"This is getting you nowhere, elf," the amused voice of Azog sounded. "You'll be pierced by ten arrows before you have even taken a step."

Alyssae turned towards the orc, not knowing why he spoke to her and didn't kill her immediately. She didn't lower her sword.

"Have you better plans for me?"

The smirk on Azog's face became wider and frightened her. He walked towards her and kicked against the arrow in her lower leg, so her screams startled the whole forest. "This will lure them."

The pain made her see stars. Only later she noticed she had fallen on the ground, while her tears wet the ground.

Her eyes were fixed at the exit of Mirkwood. She hoped and prayed somebody encouraged the dwarves and Thranduin to move on.

That nobody listened to her prayers, became clear when she saw the men appear on the last row of trees. Thorin was still supported by Dwalin en Oin, but the three of them froze when they saw her, lying in the grass while Thorin's arch-enemy pushed her down with his foot.

Alyssae tried to touch the ring in her pocket, but Azog's weight obstructed every movement.

"So we meet again," Azog smirked.

Alyssae tried to free herself, but everything hurt even more.

"Your life instead of hers. Isn't that a lovely proposition?"

From Thorin's face, she concluded that he was furious. He'd warned her and she had just left, without listening.

"Stay there!" she yelled.

Her jaws hit each other when the orc kicked her head again. "You want to sacrifice yourself for that little dwarf prince? Again? Why would somebody do that?"

Some orcs chuckled as if they understood very well what all this was about. Alyssae knew that wasn't true. Orcs didn't know love.

He pushed his heel deeper into her flesh and she heard her bones crack.

The dwarves stood still petrified between the trees, even though Dwalin and Oin tried to withhold Thorin.

"You can't surrender," Gloin hissed, who stood before him. "You are our king. We need you."

"Let go of me," Thorin grumbled. "You don't get it. She has the key."

Alyssae doubted the orcs could hear their conversation because her hearing was better than that of them.

Oin was so bewildered by that announcement that he let go of Thorin, who stormed forward and tried to reach her whilst stumbling, but the dwarves grabbed his arms again.

"My kindness is almost running out," Azog announced. "Kill the elf."

"No!" Thorin screamed and after that word Kili got his bow ready and fired.

Azog dragged her along and held her as a shield before his own body, after which he walked to the dwarves with large steps. They no longer dared to shoot arrows.

"Go away!" she screeched. "I don't have the key anymore. Leave!"

Azog hit her hard against her head.

"The game is over, dwarf scum."

. . .

Thorin stared at Azog, who he hated even more than he hated the elf king. After the moment Smaug took everything from him, this piece of shit had finished that off and killed his father and grandfather. He had cursed the line of Durin, humiliated him more than once and now he also wanted to take Alyssae from him.

"Go away!" Alyssae screeched and tried to free herself desperately. "What do you think you can do, you idiot! You can't even walk!"

Azog grinned amused and Thorin felt his cheeks burn with shame. He could indeed do nothing for her, but turning around and knowing Alyssae would die while he hadn't even tried to save her, was something he just couldn't do.

"She's right," Kili whispered, whose voice was also loaded with grief. "We can do nothing to help her, uncle. As soon as we'll come near, Azog will wring her neck."

"Neither can I do nothing," Thorin grumbled. He felt indifferent as if his own life was no longer important. He only lived because of the magic of an elf. He only lived thanks to Alyssae and he could not leave her alone.

"You can grant her last wish," Balin spoke. "You can save our kingdom. She doesn't want you to die in vain."

His breath caught when he looked into her eyes. Even though she told them to leave, he saw she was terrified.

"I can't." With his last strength, he tore loose and ran with a raised sword to the orc. However, after three steps he fell abruptly to his knees.

Scornful laughter went up from the pack of orcs.

"Well well, he crawls through the dust for you."

Thorin raised his head, his eyes filled with tears. His body felt anesthetized as if he had taken a poison that shut off his body parts one by one. He hated Thranduil, who'd made a cripple, old man from him. He hated Azog, who destroyed all his dreams. And above all, he hated himself, because he wasn't able to protect the woman he loved. Because he had turned his back on his men and waited for the death blow from his most feared enemy.

Alyssae said nothing, she only stared into his eyes. Purple eyes that shimmered with tears.

Then Azog pulled back her head and pushed his blade against her throat. "Maybe her head can accompany that of Thraín."

Thorin tried to get on his feet with his last power, but he fell forward again. The dwarves screamed behind him, but nobody dared to attack Azog, knowing they would hit Alyssae.

Scrupulously he looked up, while his stomach shrunk in fear. He didn't want to see how she was beheaded, but he couldn't focus on something else. The smirk on Azog's face widened and the grasp around his handle became stronger. He tightened his fingers and Thorin knew her last breath had left her lips.

Suddenly a blinding light shot through the air. A loud explosion followed and some orcs suddenly flew around and landed in the bushes a few meters away from them.

Thorin saw nothing but dust clouds. He coughed while he looked around.

Screams filled the air and blood spats landed on his face. Shaking he tried to get on his feet. He banged his sword on the earth and raised himself with help of his weapon.

A tall figure stood before him, surrounded by clouds. Thorin pulled his sword out of the ground, with trembling legs.

When the dust lay down again, he saw her. Relief came over him while he stared at the hard look in her eyes. She was covered in blood but stood straight gloriously. Her long hair waved in the wind and she had raised her arms. In her hands, she held Azog's head.

Behind her, Gandalf appeared, who put a hand on her shoulder and scared away the other orcs with angry words, which were all baffled by the appearance of the wizard and Alyssae's behavior.

Thorin wasn't able to say anything, he only stared at her remorseless face and the head she held in her hands. If he hadn't known better, he would have thought it was someone else standing before him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.4K 913 10
In the next part of our story, the company of Thorin Oakenshield rush across Middle-Earth in order to get to the Lonely Mountain by Durin's Day. (Y/n...
322K 13K 50
You have grown up under the care of Radagast the Brown, and on an errand to King Thranduil of Mirkwood you encounter Thorin Oakenshield's Company, th...
14.7K 405 7
Bre was sucked out of our world into the world of hobbits, dwarves, evles, and wizards. Almost immediately, Kili and Fili began to flirt with Bre. An...
58.5K 1.6K 58
"Amrâlimê." The Lonely Mountain sits silently as the sun sets behind it, creating a canvas of brilliant reds and oranges. Nobody has dared go near t...