The Obsidian Arrow

By CraigAPrice

After a great victory in the elven city of Sudegam, Searon finds himself at peace where he can finally rest... More

The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 1
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 2
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 3
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 4
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 5
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 6
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 7
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 8
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 9
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 10
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 11
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 12
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 13
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 14
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 15
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 16
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 17
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 18
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 19
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 20
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 21
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 22
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 23
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 24
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 25
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 26
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 27
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 28
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 30
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 31
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 32
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 33
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 34
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 35
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 36
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 37
The Obsidian Arrow: Epilogue
The Obsidian Arrow: Author's Note
The Obsidian Arrow: Editing
The Crimson Claymore: Free for Christmas!
Reviews

The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 29

9.7K 337 42
By CraigAPrice

Chapter 29:

[Anaela’s POV]

            Anaela sat quietly in the nearly empty room staring at her hands. They seemed smaller than normal yet she knew in reality they were the same proportion as her body. Still, she was unable to move her eyes away from observing her hands. It seemed if she looked hard enough she may be able to spot magic sparkling across them. There was no magic, or at least no magic that she could observe.

            She looked up and saw Searon doing the same thing as he stared at his hands in disbelief. He seemed content in poking one of his hands with the other as if searching for a spark of magic. The room they were both sitting in was small, much smaller than it appeared. Both sat at a blue stained oak table with only two chairs across from each other. Neither looked at each other since they arrived and neither spoke barely a word after the faeries invited them into the room.

            The room was set with bright colors of blue and greens scattered about in what seemed like mismatched patterns. Nothing seemed to match except in the consistency of bright odd colors. Faeries seemed to like the vast brightness of colors more so than anybody she had ever seen. The high elves in the city of Sudegam seemed fond of green and gold. Most of the more elegant things in Sudegam were made of gold and green was only popular because of its nature appearance. All elves loved nature, even if they weren’t one with nature as the wood elves were. Anaela however was the only wood elf. She wished she could remember the rest of her kind, or at least where they were.

            Pictures scattered the walls of various faeries with bright orange, red, blue, or green hair that seemed strange in appearance. Anaela wasn’t accustom to anything but black, gold, blond, brunette, and red hair. Yet the red hair she was used to was more like sparkling orange and not pure bright red. It was a blinding color that Anaela couldn’t stare directly at. The room was small without rooms and only one bed that appeared large enough for the two of them. She kept eyeing the single bed and back to Searon but he seemed oblivious of the predicament. He seemed more concerned studying his hands.

            “They aren’t going to grow back to their normal size by staring at them.”

            He looked back at her with a twinkle in his stone green eyes. A smile lit up on his face that melted her heart. “I just can’t believe that we’re no larger than a dragonfly.”

            “How else would you expect these faeries to house us?”

            “In all honesty, I haven’t thought about it. I figured we could come and ask for help and return with an army.”

            “I told you before that faeries are all about games. We are lucky that they even chose to appoint the council to hear us out.”

            “Luck? I don’t need luck. Besides there’s no such thing, unless bad luck is what you’re referring to.”

            “Ah yes, the mighty Searon. Part faerie. You knew this whole time they would let you in because of who you were didn’t you?”

            He smiled, “I had an idea, although I’m not sure I’m truly part faerie.”

            “You lied to them?”

            “No, what I believe is that my mother was sick and so she asked for help. She was enchanted with faerie blood, but since she was human she couldn’t have a full amount. I believe it changed her to part faerie. It gave her strength enough to bore me as a child and for several more years until my brother was born, but I think that ultimately the blood didn’t mix with her well and she died.”

            “Aren’t you afraid of the same fate?”

            “No, she wasn’t born with it. Instead it was forced into her to save her life. The blood is magic and doesn’t mix well with one whom doesn’t hold magic. She was already with child when it happened, me, which is why I think she did it. By doing so, she saved my life. It mixed into me and so the magic was a part of me while I was in the womb. That is why I don’t think it will kill me as it did her. Since it came to me over time as I was still inside of her, I believe it’s now a part of me. It also explains why my brother has more magic than I do and can control it as if he were born with the gift as Karceoles calls it. Only a little bit of it touched me, only enough to heighten my senses. The only powers that I know I have are my senses: sight, touch, smell, hearing, and taste. Each of these five senses have saved my life on many occasions.”

            Anaela studied him for a moment with her heart pounding in her chest. He was magic, every ounce of him was magic. It was a miracle that he was still alive. “When did your mother die?”

            “A few years after my brother was born.”

            “Your father raised you?”

            “Yes, well he did until I turned fifteen when he died while raiding another city. After that I took care of my brother and I.”

            “I’m sorry you’ve lived such a hard life.”

            He smiled, “A long time ago I thought my life was over. Many times I thought I wouldn’t be able to continue but I pushed forward. Through thick and thin I was able to find a light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes I embraced death as if I were seeking for it. Then I woke up one day and saw you. Everything I knew before vanished and a new light sparkled within me. It almost felt as if I were born again, as if the creator gave me another chance for life.”

            Her heart pounded even faster and she stared deep into his eyes that seemed to penetrate into her soul. His face was sturdy and rough although trimmed neatly since he traveled with her. He didn’t seem to flinch a bit and his hands fell down to his sides as he watched her. She gulped and smashed her eyes closed for a minute trying to process her thought. Despite herself there was only one thing on her mind. She knew that to fall for a human was wrong, but that was only the rules of the high elves. What if the wood elves were different? Perhaps they didn’t have such strict rules about staying away from humans. She didn’t know what it was about the man in front of her that drove her crazy but she knew that her knees felt weak. Inhaling deeply she wished she could remember anything about her home with the wood elves but like every other time her memory came out blank. She knew she had to ask the question that had been tormenting at her mind ever since she found out he had magic running through his veins.

            “Faeries live forever like elves.”

            Searon nodded and continued to stare at her.

            She shivered as she watched him. Could he be so dense that he didn’t understand what her thoughts were? Of course, she should know better, he was a human. While he seemed to be intelligent beyond some elves she even knew, he was still a man. All men were thick skulled imbeciles when it came to common sense, and even worse when depicting what should seem plain in a woman’s eyes. Even some of the elves from the city of Sudegam couldn’t take Anaela’s hints that she didn’t wish to be pursued. In some occasions they seemed to be following her even more with flowers and gifts and constantly kissing her hand. She hated having to scrub off the horrible smell of high elves from her hand when she stayed in Sudegam.

            “Do you think you have long life as they?” She shivered as she asked.

            “I do not know. In some ways I’ve felt I have aged slower than some. I’ve especially noticed it in my little brother. He still can’t grow a beard to save his life.”

            “I’m glad you can.” She whispered.

            “What was that?”

            Her eyes widened, “Nothing.”

            She avoided his eyes and menacing smile as she stared at some of the bright blue fixtures on the wall. His facial hair was more than simply appealing to her but she didn’t want to let him know that. Sometimes she would imagine her hands stroking the thin lines that came from his hairline down to his jaw. It tickled her sometimes with how stiff the hairs were but it didn’t change the fact that they were attractive, especially on him.

            “Alright.” He laughed. “So tell me about your family.”

            She glanced back over at him with widened eyes, “My family?”

            “Yes, I think I’ve divulged enough about the events of my life to you. I think it’s about time that I’ve learned some of yours. I know you’re a wood elf and different from those of the high elves. The only appearance difference I can tell is your slightly darker skin rather than pale and taller pointed ears. Are there any more unique traits about the wood elves?”

            “I… don’t know.”

            “How don’t you know? Have you lived in Sudegam your whole life?”

            “I’m told wood elves are expert archers, well beyond any of the high elves. For all I know I could only be an average wood elf archer, yet I surpass any of the high elves.”

            “How don’t you know?” he repeated.

            “I’m also told wood elves have vast cities and villages deep in the jungles and forests that are hidden to the naked eye by any who do not know where they are.”

            “Anaela?”

            “They’ve told me the wood elves disbanded the order of elves and fled into hiding in the forest and betraying the king.”

            She stared down at the hands in her lap as her eyes began to water. Searon got to his feet and slid his chair close to her so that he was directly in front of her. He slid his hands on hers and held them tight. The warmth shot through her body and sent a sniffle to her face. A lone tear fell from her face and slowly glided down until it splashed on Searon’s wrist.

            “Anaela, I am here for you. You can talk to me. I am not an elf and am not here to judge you. I have met the king, and if I were under his rule I would have left too. I’m sure the wood elves had every reason to go into hiding.”

            Anaela looked up into his concerned eyes and smiled. Her hand reached up and stroked his face feeling the prickly sideburns as they traveled down his face. More tears fell down but her heart felt warm with his hands over hers.

            “Starlyn is the only one I’ve been able to talk to. The others look down on me because of what I am. Because my kind has abandoned them.”

            Tears fell down her face in steady streams until she could barely see through the thickened water. Elves weren’t supposed to show emotion but it flooded out now. Everything came back to her with the names some of the high elves called her and the way all of them looked at her. For so many years she kept her head up high and was able to confide in Starlyn for help and courage. Now that Starlyn was gone she felt so alone. The elves trusted her to lead the archers because of her skill but it didn’t prevent the looks she got from those under her command. Sometimes she felt she wasn’t good enough to be in the presence of high elves. More than anything she wished she could remember her kin and know why they left the high elves in shadow.

            Searon pulled her into him and she began to cry on his shoulder. She felt good, almost complete in his arms. With Starlyn gone to who knows where she had nobody to talk to anymore. Nobody that understood, yet here was this human in front of her that wanted to understand. She wouldn’t let him; she pushed him away for so long. Would it be okay to let him in? If she let him in would she be trapped? She realized she had no other choice after crying in front of him. Even Starlyn had never seen her cry though with all they had been through together. And here she was like a little girl crying in the arms of her father.

            “It’s okay Anaela, I’m here. You can talk to me.”

            He stroked her hair gently and the motion seemed to soothe her ache away. His hands were rough but strong and gentle in her hair. She clasped her arms around his neck and held him tight. The tears began to slow and her mind could process what she was putting him through. It wasn’t fair to him with how she was acting a child in front of him. She sniffled her sobs away and rubbed the tears from her eyes.

            She let go of her death grip around his neck and removed her head from his chest to look deep into his eyes. They seemed watery, the same as hers, as if he was saddened as well at her sadness. Concern seems to fill the deep pools of green as he looked at her in wonder. She stroked his face feeling his warmth spread into her and smiled. Her fingers lingered on his firm lips and heat filled her body that made her abdomen thrust. Before she realized what she was doing her lips were upon his.

            She kissed him with passion that she had never known before. It felt as if she melted into him as her hands found their way into his hair and clawing at his back through his white cotton shirt. He seemed as intense as her with his hands tangled in her hair where they found themselves from her neck and ears. The entire world around them seemed to cease to exist in a swirl of exotic colors until it was only him and her. Nothing else seemed to matter except that his hands were in her hair and her lips were upon his.

            Suddenly she stopped and shrank back into her chair. He seemed to follow but she pushed him away. Her heart seemed to thud with deep beats with such intensity that she had never known. It felt as if it were about to pound out of her chest. Almost like her body couldn’t contain it anymore and it wanted to leap into him where it felt like it belonged. She felt like she belonged in his arms like that of a baby being rocked in the arms of its mother. Shivers ran down her body as her thought revolved around him but she pushed them away. It was one of the hardest things she ever had to do to bring sense back into her mind instead of passion. Oh how she wished she could only live off of passion. If that were the case she didn’t know if there would be a single moment where she wouldn’t be kissing him. She shook her head again as her thoughts of kissing him overpowered her mind once again.

            Clearing her throat she spoke at last, “I’m sorry.”

            “Don’t be.”

            She looked up to him, “I’m sorry because I’m misleading you.”

            His eyebrow rose, “If that’s how you mislead someone, please, feel free to mislead me anytime.”

            Despite herself she smiled, “I’ll keep that in mind.”

            She closed her eyes and took a deep breath knowing it was time for her to tell him her story. He spent time letting her know about him until she felt she understood most of why he was he the he was. It was only right for her to do the same. Flashbacks began to swarm through her mind with faces of her fellow wood elves. They were the same nightmares that tormented her each time she fell asleep at night. Nothing happened in order but seemed to come at her in flashes of scenes. Elves were screaming and running about gathering weapons. Creatures like dragons but smaller on two legs came out of the wilderness and attacked them. She fought back with her bow and arrows killing dozens of them, but someone important to her fell she rushed to her. When she reached the woman she was dying with several slashes from axes across her body. The woman’s face had many traits that resembled herself, and even though Anaela couldn’t remember who it was, she knew she was her kin.

            “The only thing I remember of my past is my name, Anaela. There are some flashbacks of people calling my name. A voice in my head often whispers my name. I think it is the voice that haunts my nightmares. The last wood elf I saw alive as I clutched her in my arms before all I saw was blackness.”

            Searon shifted and looked back at her although her eyes were fixed on her hands at her knees. She wore a long green silk dress that fell well beyond her knees. It was brighter than the forest green she would normally wear but it was given to her by the faeries as a gift. As she stared at her hands for a long moment she saw Searon’s hands come back into hers. They held hers gently but firmly giving her comfort that sank through her mind. It was enough comfort to help her thoughts clear.

            “I don’t have many memories of what happened, other than an attack. I do not remember who I was with other than that one of them was dear to me. I think she may have been my sister but I am not sure. Her face is burned into my memories… and my nightmares.”

            Searon’s grip on her hands tightened and she smiled slightly at his comfort.

            “Starlyn found me; apparently she heard the battle and stumbled upon us after everyone was dead, everyone except me. I was knocked unconscious but they did not kill me. I do not know if it was because they thought I was dead or if it was as a warning to the rest. A dead witness is no witness. However with how hard I was hit, I do not remember anything of my past. I do not know where the wood elf cities or villages are. I do not know who I am, besides my name. But I do not know who I truly am. All I have is my name, my bow, and a quiver of obsidian arrows.

That is why I continue to make them along with all those of steel. It is not because I prefer them, although I have found they are effective for shattering into the flesh of these creatures. The reason I continue to make these obsidian arrows is because it was who I was before I lost my memories. These arrows are the only thing I know of myself that I used to do. Perhaps I loved their beauty as I do now. None of the other wood elf bodies were seen with such arrows. After Starlyn nursed me back to health she helped me bury the bodies. She was curious about the wood elves but I didn’t know what to tell her. Many others didn’t believe that I had lost my memories. They think only that I don’t wish to tell where the wood elves are hiding. Yet, if I knew, I would have gone home long ago to find out who I truly am.”

Searon stroked her hair until she looked up into his eyes. “I know who you are Anaela, and right now, that’s all that matters. Do you wish for me to tell you?”

She swallowed hard and nodded never glancing away from his eyes.

“You are the kindest, sweetest, most gentle, and most beautiful woman I have ever had the chance of meeting. You put everybody’s feelings before yours, and ask for nothing in return. Despite the way the high elves treat you, you still strive to save them no matter what the cost. In my eyes, you are perfect in every way.”

His words caught the breath in her throat and she wasn’t able to speak. She felt her cheeks heat and by his smile she could tell he could see them as well. The embarrassment was unnerving but she had nowhere to hide. Slowly she scooted away from him and looked away.

“It is late now and you should get some rest. Both of us need our sleep if we are to meet with the council in the morning.”

He got to his feet and stretched. She glanced at his rippling stomach muscles that were exposed underneath his stretched shirt as he stretched. A sly smile came to her face that only warmed her cheeks even more. He held his hand out for her and she accepted.

She was led to the bed by him where her nervousness came back. He leaned in and kissed her forehead gently and innocently but her heart began to race nonetheless. She looked from him to the bed with a worried expression on her face. He only smiled at her and squeezed her hands tightly before walking away and laying down on the floor.

Her heart melted as she watched him. She was eager to have him in her arms and wanted nothing more than to be in his all night. To be held by him all night would be beyond perfection, but she knew it would be misleading. She was an elf and he was a human. It should not be. It cannot be. When she finally closed her eyes that night, the nightmares didn’t come; instead her head was filled with memories of Searon and the kiss they shared that night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

267K 1.1K 19
The goblin horde has arrived! Djar's parents have been murdered, his city is occupied and things look worse every day. But there is one small hope: I...
3.6K 87 17
*This story is under major editing, and many events will be changed, for those who have already read this story. I will try my best to finish it as f...
471K 23.3K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
314 83 18
Merran was born into a devastating curse. Either she lives and watches six of her siblings die, or she dies and one of them survives to rule. Proble...