Argent Eye

By Louisa_Miller

Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Lightning, Ice and Metal. An Argent Eye is chosen by only one. Two? A rarity. Three... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36

8

7.2K 438 29
By Louisa_Miller

"Hey, Millie." Jake said as I walked into the flat. "Long time no see."

I smiled. "Yeah, been really busy with uni." I lied.

"You're okay, though?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, everything is good."

"Good." He said, and then frowned. "You look different."

"I do?" I asked, well aware of my drastic eye colour change and the fact that Jake was quite observant when it came to small things like that.

"Hmm. Yeah." He said. "You just... I don't know." He rubbed his chin as Andy and Tom rounded the corner. "Hey, guys." Jake said. "Don't you think Millie looks different?"

Tom and Andy stopped, and looked. "Not really." Tom said.

Andy shrugged.

"Are you wearing makeup?" Jake suddenly said.

I laughed, almost out of relief. "Yes." I said.

"It makes your eyes pop." Tom said.

Jake narrowed his eyes again. "You have heterochromia?"

Why did I think that he might not notice? "Yeah." I said.

"I never realised." Jake said, and that was it. Mentally, I sighed with relief that he didn't say anymore about it. I guess it wouldn't occur to him that my eye suddenly changed colour. I mean, when does that ever happen outside of movies and story books.

"Are you done pointing out my imperfections?" I laughed.

Jake smiled. "Sorry."

I checked the time and realised it wouldn't be long before it was time to go bowling. I went back to my room and tidied myself up a bit, brushing my hair and changing my jumper to something a little nicer. I put my shoes on, and locked my room.

"Going somewhere?" Andy asked, poking his head into the hall.

"Just bowling with a few friends." I said.

"Without us?" Jake said. "How dare you."

I just laughed. "See you later." I said, and left the flat.

Kate was already waiting outside when I got there, but no one else had arrived yet.

"Hey, Mills." She said. "You ready for some bowling?" She rubbed her hands together eagerly.

I grinned. "Yeah! Although I haven't done it in years, so I might be a bit shit."

"Oh, same girl." She said. "Sunny said one of her friends is like a pro at bowling, so we should probably get on a team with whoever that is."

I laughed. "Good plan."

With that, Sunny came round the corner with six other people. Four boys and two girls.

"Hey!" Sunny exclaimed, seeing Kate and I. I smiled at the group of people although I didn't know who they were. "Okay." Sunny began. "Guys, this is Millie and Kate." She said to her group. Then, turned back to Kate and I. "This is Ryan, Eileen, Nina, James, Ali and Shaks."

Sunny pointed to the individuals of the group. Ryan had a head of dark, frizzy hair, was a little taller than I was and wore a brown leather jacket that was a size too big. Eileen looked like she was from Thailand- she had straight, black hair and wore a bright green puffer jacket that suited her well. I didn't miss her holding hands with Ryan- so I assumed they were dating. Nina was on the petite side, and had dark hair with purple highlights and square, wire-framed glasses. James looked pretty chill, like the kind of guy that was always good with everything, and had short, light brown hair. Ali was dark featured with square glasses and purposefully shaved stubble that wasn't too different from Tony Stark's. Finally, Shaks looked to be the kind of guy who always wore some kind of suit and had his hair smartly gelled back, whatever the occassion.

With the introductions complete, we made our way to the bus stop to go to the O2 arena, where there was, apparently, a good bowling place.

"Who do you think is the bowler?" Kate whispered as we walked.

I scanned the group of people. "Ryan." I said. "I bet it's him."

"You think? I would have said Shaks. He looks like his parents would pay for him to go bowling."

I laughed. "True. But he doesn't look like a bowler."

"And Ryan does?" Kate chuckled.

I shrugged. "I guess we will see."

We got to the arena in about ten minutes, and all paid for our tickets- the group needed to be split into two, so I stuck with Sunny and Kate- Eileen and Nina also joined, so it looked like it was going to be girls against boys.

"You know Ryan is really good at bowling." Ali said, a smirk on his face. "So you've got some competition." Ali seemed like a nice guy. He seemed quite innocent- I don't know what made me think that.

I laughed. "Yeah, well you're against a bunch of girls who don't really bowl, so..."

Sunny hit my arm, shutting me up. "You're not supposed to tell him that!" She exclaimed, and turned to Ali. "Look, we all bowl professionally, so watch out."

Ali laughed as we all put our names into the system- we were in the lanes next to each other, so could keep a close eye on the opposing team.

Sunny was up first. "Okay, guys, I've never actually bowled in my life so cut me some slack." She said, and laughed nervously. Still, she picked up a ball and bowled it at the same time as Shaks. We all laughed with her when she got no pins on her first shot, but the second time she managed to knock three. Shaks, although had a strong throw, didn't do much better, only knocking four pins down in total.

I was up next. "Come on Millie!" Kate said. "You're our only hope!"

I just laughed. "Well, that's unfortunate." I said, picking up a ball. I realised then that I was going at the same time as Ryan.

"You sure you wanna go for that one?" Ryan said. "It's pretty heavy."

I looked at the ball, and realised that it was one of the heavier ones. Still, it didn't seem too bad in my grip. "Well, Ryan, yours seems pretty light."

Ryan just laughed, and then narrowed his eyes as we both took a purposeful walk up to the lane and bowled.

I had to say, I was shocked at how quickly my ball made it to the other end- not only had I picked a heavier ball than Ryan, but it reached the end a lot quicker. Then, I had to blink. A strike.

I threw my hands in the air, and laughed. "I got a strike!" I exclaimed.

"Yes, Millie!" The team shouted.

I looked at Ryan, who'd knocked down eight of the pins, and just smiled.

"Eileen, your boyfriend just got beaten." Sunny said.

Eileen laughed. "So he should! He kept saying the whole way here that he was gonna win."

I sat down on the sofa. "Beginner's luck." I said, not so sure that I'd be able to keep it up.

"Millie, we are counting on you now." Kate nudged me as she walked up to the lane and bowled.

"I'm just gonna go get some nachos." I said, feeling a little hungry. "Anyone else want anything?"

"I might get some too." Kate said. "I'll come with."

Kate and I went up to the bar, and I ordered nachos and a red and blue slushie- she did the same.

"So, what do you think of the new group of friends?" She asked.

"Better than the last lot." I said. "No offence to them."

Kate laughed.

At the beginning of the year, Kate and I had been friends with three other people, two of whom were in a strange kind of relationship with too many public displays of affection for my liking. All three of them, though, were a bit odd. I can't really explain why or how, but only tell you that they were, and sometimes I'd feel a little uncomfortable around them. It was almost like they all knew something that Kate and I didn't, and I wasn't keen on it.

We were given our slushies, but the nachos would be taken back to the table next to our bowling lane.

"I thought you said you were shit at bowling?" Kate said as we walked back.

"I was. Am." I said. "Honestly, I think it was beginner's luck."

Sunny motioned for Kate and I to hurry. "It's your turn, Millie." She said.

"Oh." I said, putting my drink down. I then picked up the same ball as last time, and bowled. I mean, I wasn't surprised that I didn't get a strike again, however I was surprised that I still managed to knock down nine of the ten pins. I then bowled again, carefully taking aim, and managed a spare.

"Go Millie!" Nina called- I'd got the same score as Ryan this time.

"Beginner's luck my arse." Kate said, pointing an accusing finger. "You're lying."

I put my hands up innocently. "I swear I haven't bowled in years."

Kate smirked. "Hmm."

She didn't believe me. I mean, if I was her, I wouldn't believe me either. Maybe I was just naturally good at bowling? I remembered when I went when I was younger, and I was terrible. I'd always be terrible, still losing even though the barriers were up. Yet, here I was, winning. For once in my life, I was winning.

When the nachos came out, we had a quick break- the plates were huge, so there was enough for everyone.

"So, Millie- do you bowl often?" Ali asked. I could tell he was trying to wind up Ryan who was currently behind me by about ten points.

"Nope." I said. "This is the first time in years."

"And you bowl with the really heavy, manly ball." Nina said. Everyone round the table was giggling. "Heavier than Ryan's."

Everyone burst out laughing- even Ryan.

"How do you even bowl that thing?" James said. He was tall but very skinny. I wouldn't be surprised if he weighed less than I did.

I shrugged. "Steroids." I joked.

He laughed. "No, seriously- even Shaks can't bowl with that, and he works out at the gym like every day, and eats all that protein shit."

I did notice that Shaks was pretty hench- not massive, but enough to get you to notice that he works out a lot.

"Girl power." Sunny said.

I just laughed and nodded, going with it.

"I bet she could beat you in an arm wrestle." Ryan said- I wasn't sure if he was trying to humiliate me or Shaks as revenge for taking the piss.

Shaks looked doubtful. So did I. There was no way I could beat this guy.

"No way, man." Shaks said, rolling up his sleeves just to prove a point.

"Are you kidding?" I said, showing off my own non-existent muscles.

"Nah." James said. "No offence, Millie, but look at the difference in size!"

"None taken." I said, knowing full well the fact that not only did Shaks work out, but he was a guy. Everyone knew that the majority of guys were stronger than girls at the best of times.

"Well, if Shaks is too scared." Ryan said, daring.

"I'm not scared." Shaks said. "I just don't want to embarrass the lady."

To be fair, when it came to shit like that, I became competitive. Even if I lost, I never liked to drop out of a challenge and look like the weakling. I mean, I was about to show I was weak physically, but mentally- that was another story.

"No lady is going to be embarrassed tonight." I said, flexing my knuckles.

"Yes, Millie!" Sunny said, cheering me on.

"That is, unless, you don't want to do it?" I challenged Shaks, looking at him dead in the eye.

All the boys started to interject into the silence, as Shaks thought about it for a moment. "Of course I'll do it." He said, like it were no biggy. I mean, it wouldn't be for him. I was the one about to get thrashed.

"What do I get if I win?" I asked as he took a seat opposite.

"Why are you asking?" He said. "You're not going to win."

"I'm feeling optimistic."

"I'll get you another slushie." He said. "And if I win, you have to get me a pint."

"Deal." I said, as our hands clasped together and our elbows hit the table.

"Okay." James said, taking the role as the referee. "On my word, you may begin."

The whole room fell silent, and it even sounded like the music quietened for a moment. I was suddenly filled with a rush of adrenaline, alongside anticipation to do this.

"Go." James said.

I pushed against Shaks' arm hard, although I could feel how powerful his arm was as the back of my hand started making its way towards the table.

"She's gonna lose!" James cried, as if it were some kind of revelation.

But, I realised then that I may as well try to win this impossible challenge. I felt a surge of energy make its way through my body then, and was surprised when my hand was no longer going down. For a moment, it stayed where it was, just an inch above the table. I looked up for a moment and saw Shaks' expression change. He was confused, and a little stressed. I, on the other hand, was beginning to grow more and more confident as my hand started to push back and get further and further away from the table.

"What is happening?!" James exclaimed, his hands either waving in the air or clinging onto the top of his head.

"Come on, Millie!" Kate practically yelled.

Everyone was watching in anticipation, as my hand moved slowly but surely in the opposite direction. With one final push, I slammed Shaks' hand onto the table, crushing a nacho that had somehow made its way there.

"I'll have that slushie, if you don't mind." I grinned, and watched Shaks walk toward the bar, completely embarrassed that I'd just beaten him.

"How the fuck did you manage that?" James asked, and I could see everyone else was waiting for that answer.

I didn't even know, so I just tapped the side of my nose. "Tactics." I said.

"Damn, you need to teach me those tactics." He said.

I just laughed, as I got my refilled slushie and continued with the game.

__________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

431 79 21
UNEDITED * STARTED: September 05,2022 COMPLETED: May 20, 2023* Elemental wars, an awkwardly flirtatious warrior lady, a missing king and one song t...
3.8K 562 65
NOW PUBLISHED ON AMAZON. Action, Romance, Bad Weather & Broken Crayons! ** Elemental beings struggle over the fate & heart of a 2-souled artist as s...
1.4M 54.5K 62
Credits: 'MsChallenjour' for the amazing yet beautiful book cover and 'Daring2BeMe' for trying to edit the first few chapters of the book. Also, the...
238 19 8
The kingdom of Istamid is under the tyrannical rule of dragons, but there are still places where the dragons' presence isn't felt so strongly. One su...