Love Finds You

By ivy2023

Jennifer Berkley is a straightforward, ambitious, soon-to-be lawyer in the fast, driven city of New York. She... More

Love Finds You - Part 1
Love Finds You - Part 2
Love Finds You - Part 3
Love Finds You - Part 4
Love Finds You - Part 5
Love Finds You - Part 6
Love Finds You - Part 7
Love Finds You - Part 8
Love Finds You - Part 9
Love Finds You - Part 10
Love Finds You - Part 11
Love Finds You - Part 13
Love Finds You - Part 14
Love Finds You - Part 15
Love Finds You - Part 16

Love Finds You - Part 12

134K 2.6K 167
By ivy2023

Chapter 12

A couple weeks later Jen was on her way to the supermarket for some groceries. She had seen very little of Zack and of course, it was on purpose; she needed some time to think about everything. She had made some calls to find out the truth about the financial state of the firm. It was true that they were in trouble, but it wasn't quite as bad as Roger had made it seem. As least, Jen didn't think so. With some help from some of her office staff, she had pulled all receipts, bills, and files to assess just how far in debt they were and what they could do to get out. Jen hadn't realized how badly Roger had done in the stock market. The smartest thing to do would be to file for bankruptcy and start over but Roger wouldn't hear of it. He refused to give up the firm; but more than that, he was too proud. He couldn't be looked at as a failure. Jen knew he was a proud man, but she was finding out that she didn't know her father quite as well as she thought she did. She felt certain if they worked through some things, downsized, and were careful about spending, the firm could be saved without Aunt Gabby's money. However, that plan would require a significant amount of sacrifice, something that Roger wasn't at all thrilled about. He'd gotten used to a certain lifestyle and having money at his fingertips. Jen had to remind him, in case he had forgotten, Aunt Gabby had to pass away before they would even see a penny, if indeed they were included in the will. And baring some tragedy, heaven forbid, it looked like she was going to be around for a while.

Jen was on the phone with the bank, for what seemed like the hundredth time in two weeks. She walked slowly up and down the frozen foods section, reveling in the coolness. "No, I don't want to hold," she tried to remain calm, keeping her voice even and controlled. She looked down at her watch; she had been on the phone for almost half an hour already. It only takes so long to get groceries and she knew she'd have to head back to Aunt Gabby's soon. "I realize that our credit isn't what it should be but..." she listened for a moment and glanced up the aisle to make sure she was still alone. "Yes but..." she listened again. "I see." She exhaled slowly. "Yes, thank you for your time." She hung up the phone and stood there looking at it. Denied, again. She knew getting a loan would be difficult, but she never imagined it would be impossible. Stupid banks and financial institutions! What good are they if they can't help me when I need it! She took a deep breath, closed her eyes and leaned against the refrigerator, allowing the cool glass to ease the stress she felt in her back.

"Hey, look who it is."

Jen didn't need to open her eyes to know who the voice belonged to. Her heart began to beat a little faster and she quickly stood up straight, trying to act like hanging out in the frozen foods section was totally normal.

"Hey," she said. "How are you?"

"I'm good, doin' real good," Zack said with a smile, his dimple showing nicely through his five o'clock shadow. "How are you? I haven't seen ya for a while."

"Yeah, I ..." Jen tucked a strand of blond hair behind her ear, fumbling for a good excuse. "I've been busy."

Zack nodded and a few seconds of awkward silence passed before he spoke again. "Listen, I'm glad I bumped into you. I wanted to apologize for what happened at the Fourth of July thing. Melanie is... she is just an old friend who...." he rubbed his neck; clearly searching for something to explain her actions.

Jen rolled her eyes; this didn't need to happen. Frankly, she didn't care about nor need his apology, so she finished the sentence for him. "Who is in love with you. I get it, its fine. No worries." She turned back to her practically empty cart and began to walk away.

"She thinks she is in love with me, but she isn't," Zack offered, as he hurried to walk beside her.

"Oh, is that it? She just thinks she's in love with you. Usually when someone thinks they're in love, they actually are."

"No, not true," Zack countered. "Love is different for every person, so for her, for what she perceives as love, she might be, but for me..." he shook his head. "Her idea of love is not the same as mine."

"And what's your idea of love?" Jen asked before she could stop herself; her common sense kicking her mentally for being so stupid.

"Love to me means sacrifice, caring, wanting what's best for the other person no matter how it affects you. Melanie likes prizes; she is like a child that always wants the latest toy. She's always been that way. But wanting someone and loving them is not the same thing."

Jen tried not to look at him. She didn't want this conversation to get any deeper than it already had, so she just nodded and pretended to look at the prices of milk.

Zack smiled, "You're avoiding me."

"I am not," Jen shot back.

"You are."

"Why would I be avoiding you?" Jen asked, as she turned and faced him. He didn't answer. "Despite what you may think," Jen added sarcastically, "you're not that special Mr. LaFaye."

He laughed at that, and Jen couldn't help but smile. Darn him for being so cute!

"You're right. I'm not," he said good-naturedly. "So, just so we're clear, you aren't avoiding me?"

"No, I'm not," Jen lied. I'm not avoiding a man who is trying to con my aunt out of her money!

"Good, then will you have dinner with me tomorrow night?"

"No," Jen said, shaking her head and walking away with her cart.

"Whoa, what? Why?" he asked as he followed her down the aisle.

"Because you live here, and I live in New York." Jen was trying to use any excuse she could.

"True," Zack offered. "So will you go out with me tomorrow night?"

"Did you not hear a word I just said?"

"Look, I didn't ask you to marry me; I just want to take you to dinner. We had a great time last time, didn't we?"

"That's not the problem."

"Then please, tell me..." he ran in front of her cart, stopping her, "what is the problem?"

"Long distance things never work out. They just don't. And like I said, you live here, and I live in Ne..."

"Yeah, yeah you live in New York. I heard you; I just don't see the problem. From what I can see, you are living here now. So why not get a couple free dinners out of me before you go back?" He was leaning on the end of the cart, grinning from ear to ear, his dimple showing more than ever.

"You're ridiculous," she told him, which only made him grin more. Jen looked at him for a few seconds before she rolled her eyes and against her better judgment, gave in. "Fine. I'll go out with you. Now get off my cart so I can finish my shopping."

He moved away from the cart, "I'll pick you up at eight," he said as she walked away.

Jen nodded her head and looked back at him, "Okay."

"And no high heels this time," he added. "In fact, wear jeans."

"Why? Where are we going?" she asked, slowing her walk.

"Why do you ask questions that you know I'm not going to answer?" With that, he winked at her, rounded the corner, and was gone.

Jen stood in the aisle for a few seconds, confusion racking her brain. This was bad. She was bad. With everything that was going down, she was sure this was going to end badly. Her emotions were getting the better of her. One minute she felt powerful bouts of anger against this man who was using her dear aunt, and the next, she was going out with him. She shook her head, trying desperately to clear the mental cobwebs that were forming. She quickly finished her shopping and headed back to Aunt Gabby's house.

"I'm back," Jen called as she walked in the door, grocery bags in arms.

"I'm in here honey."

Jen set the groceries on the kitchen counter and then went to the living room where her aunt was sitting. She plopped on the couch and grabbed a magazine to use as a fan. "Why is it so hot here?" she asked, not really expecting an answer.

"Because it's summer darling," Aunt Gabby answered her without taking her eyes off her crochet.

The room fell silent and Jen found herself pondering her day and her run-in with Zack. She was still not one hundred percent sure how it ended up that they were now going on another dinner date. Stupid cowboys with their stupid t-shirts and dimples and brown eyes! She sighed heavily and looked at Aunt Gabby but didn't say anything.

"Somethin' you want to talk about honey?" Aunt Gabby asked.

"No, just thinking," Jen said as she stared at the ceiling.

"What are you going to wear?" Aunt Gabby asked.

Jen's eyebrows furrowed, "For what?"

Aunt Gabby didn't miss a stitch. "For your date, silly girl."

Jen sat up. "How do you know about that?"

"I told you, it's not important how I know things. I just do. And don't go getting in a huff about people knowing your business. This is a small town and you just have to learn that in small towns, everyone's business is, well, everyone's business."

Jen just shook her head and laid back against the couch, her arm slung over her eyes. "If you know so much, maybe you can tell me what exactly he has planned because apparently, I'm not supposed to wear heels. He told me to wear jeans."

"I don't know dear but if I were you, I would just do as he says."

"I thought you knew everything," Jen teased.

"I do, oh I do," she said smiling at Jen, her blue eyes twinkling mischievously.

"I have a feeling you know a lot more than you let on Aunt G," Jen commented.

Aunt Gabby smiled again but said nothing.

****

Jen stood in front of the full-length mirror that had become so familiar to her. She was ready. At least, she hoped she was. She wasn't sure what would come of this night, but it was too late to turn back now. As instructed, she wore jeans and a basic, blue, v-neck pullover. Plain but cute. She played with her hair randomly, lifting it and twisting before deciding to just leave it how it was. There was a knock at the door and Jen heard Zack's voice as he greeted Aunt Gabby. Jen took a deep breath, "Don't be nervous," she said out loud. "You have no reason to be nervous." She grabbed her purse and headed down the stairs.

Zack smiled when he saw her. "Hey."

"Hi," she responded. She looked him up and down quickly. He looked gorgeous as ever in his jeans and striped gray button up shirt. His sleeves were rolled up to just below his elbow and even from five feet away, he smelled amazing. Jen did a little spin when she got to the bottom of the stairs. "Is my outfit appropriate?"

"You look great. And good choice on the shoes," he said, gesturing to her sneakers. "I wasn't sure you actually had any that were flat."

"Well, goes to show you don't know everything about me." She knew she was flirting but didn't try to stop. "We'll see you later Aunt G," Jen said as they headed out the door.

"I won't wait up," she said with a wink.

Jen gave her aunt a look, but she ignored it.

"Oh," Zack stopped at the door and pointed at her purse, "you won't need that either."

Jen looked down. "Okay," she said slowly.

"Do you need it for something?" Zack asked.

"No, not really, it's just..." she paused. "I can't remember the last time I didn't take my purse with me somewhere."

"There's a first time for everything." Zack smiled and opened the screen door. "But if you feel like you need to bring it, that's fine."

"No," Jen said after thinking a moment. "I'll leave it." She pulled her phone out, put it in her back pocket and tossed the purse on the counter. She followed Zack out to the truck and got in. Hmmm, he must have cleaned his truck. Jen didn't know why that flattered her, but for some odd reason, it did.

"Ready, Freddy?" Zack asked as he jumped in and started the truck.

"As I'll ever be."

He smiled at her and they headed down the road.

"So where are we going to eat?" she asked after a couple minutes.

"How hungry are you, on a scale of one to ten?" he asked.

"Probably a six."

"Perfect, then we'll eat right away."

"Where are we going?"

Zack turned on the radio and softly hummed to the country song that was playing.

"Is it a secret?" Jen asked, slightly annoyed by his lack of communication.

"It's a surprise. Just relax. You don't always need to know everything."

Jen's brows furrowed, realizing with disdain that she indeed didn't know everything.

Zack sensed her somberness. "Just let it be a surprise," he said.

Jen sighed, "Alright." They rode in relative silence for fifteen minutes until Zack turned onto a dirt road.

"Where are we going?" Jen asked, looking around.

"To one of my favorite places," Zack answered. "Just trust me."

Jen remained silent as they drove down the dusty road, her mind racing. Where in the world was Zack taking her? It would be just her luck to have him end up being some sort of crazy serial killer.

It was almost quarter to nine by the time Zack slowed the truck and pulled off onto a less driven road and down into what looked like a grove of trees. Zack stopped the truck and hopped out. Jen apprehensively got out of the truck and looked around. It was a grassy area with a few large trees surrounding it. The setting sun illuminated the leaves, the slight breeze blowing them softly. The combination of the sunset and peaceful surroundings made the place seem other-worldly.

"This looks like something out of a fairy tale," Jen commented. Zack smiled but said nothing.

"It's beautiful," Jen breathed as she followed him down a grassy path to a small stone fire pit, paralleled by two sturdy looking logs. Jen spotted a small stream off through the trees and smiled inwardly. This place was magical!

"It's called Helena's Grove," Zack informed her.

"That's a nice name. Who is it named after?"

Zack smiled and looked around. "My mother." 

-- Would you like to download a FREE digital copy of this story to your Kindle or mobile device? Go here now! http://amzn.to/1q9cqnX

Book 2 in the Helena's Grove Series is now available here: http://amzn.to/1zJ0EDZ

Book 3 in the Helena's Grove Series is now available here: http://amzn.to/1oyUpPv

Book 4 in the Helena's Grove Series is now available here: http://amzn.to/1uZBw7W

Book 5 in the Helena's Grove Series is now available here: https://amzn.to/3LOh8W7

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 238 25
[COMPLETED] There are two things you can count on in a small town, bad weather and boys who can make your heart thump faster than a horse's hooves ...
60.3K 1.4K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
163 59 46
*First in the Fire Whiskey series* 'What if I was making the wrong choice again, picking the bad guy over the steady and reliable one? Because as I...
129K 9K 51
The last thing millionaire Miami lawyer Jonathon Berrington wanted to do this evening was parade across the stage at a charity ball to be auctioned t...