The Monarch ( Fated Series: B...

By steamyhot

After a barren mating that had lasted just shy of two years, Avery is hell bond on living a life away from po... More

The Monarch
Chapter 1 - Crossing pathways
Chapter 2 - Roomies
Chapter 3 - House rules
Chapter 4 - Timber and Wood
Chapter 6 - Lonely Hearts
Chapter 7 - Fight Club
Chapter 8 - Unexpected
Chapter 9 - Blood and Sweat

Chapter 5 - Fire and Ice

149K 6.1K 1.1K
By steamyhot

Chapter 5 – Fire and Ice

dedicated to @JuneValentine - I loved her story - SKIN. It's soooooooo imaginative about how a wolf would preceive wearing the human skin and finding a human for a mate. Such a breathe of fresh air. Love it! Plus drool-worthy Dean Winchester (Jensen Akles) was an absolutely delicious cast for the lead. Love it!

Picture: handmade jewelry by yours truly. :D)

***

Jonathan

Jon stretched after the unintentional work out that he had gone through. Putting his muscles through the vigorous routine had felt right. As the adrenaline rushed through his system, Jon remembered why he had chosen a career in Pack Law – he could make a difference there based on his own merit. It was an adventurous job that took his mind off things and it would have helped him find his mate had she and her pack followed the Law. Then things would have been so easier!

But nothing in life was easy.

Being alive was a fight against whatever shit that life threw at you.

The loud rumble that sounded from deep inside his flat abdomen caught his attention. His hand patted the rippled abs and grinned. Avery's food will be able to tame the monster and he didn't want to provoke her again with his nakedness. He quickly put on some clothes for her sake. Not that she hadn't enjoyed the view, Jon chuckled at the thought. The little redhead's eyes had taken more than a minute before they finally had landed onto his face. He suspected that she might be a different kind of hungry too! That was certainly something worth looking into.

The moment he stepped out of the guest room, his nose was overpowered by the aroma of whatever delicious treat that Avery was cooking. His ears on the other hand were flat out insulted by loud music. He decided to focus his attention at his sense of smell, blocking out the assault on his delicate hearing.

Jonathan could vaguely smell spices, potatoes and meat... Juicy meat. He licked his lips, his mouth watering the closer he came to the small kitchenette. As he stepped in, he finally recognized why the music was so loud. Avery was having a blast, singing under her nose and dancing as she was preparing the meal.

Her hips were swaying to the rhythm in what he could clearly call a very sensual dance. Her body was full of grace and life. Her lips were mouthing the lyrics and it was then that Jon's sluggish mind registered "raging fire", before she excitedly started bouncing as she continued mouthing "come out, come out, come out". Jonathan's attention was focused on the way that her rounded behind and breasts were bouncing from all of her excited movements. Now, that was a sight to see! She was quite a delicious treat by herself and he had to agree with her: she was definitely enough to turn his soul into a raging fire. Even more so, he had to straighten his posture not to show just how raging his hardness had become.

Jumping around, Avery froze when her eyes landed on him.

"Don't stop on my account," Jon urged her, repressing what he really wanted to say - That was indeed hot!

Avery waved him off and turned around checking on her dish, "I didn't hear you come in".

"No wonder with the music so loud," Jon commented, wondering if she was partially deaf to even consider enjoying the music on such a loud setting.

No.

On second thought, she most probably increased the volume, so he wouldn't hear her sing along her tune. Jonathan had to admit that her voice was quite nice on his ears.

"I like the tune!" Avery defended herself, turning down the radio as the song came to an end.

"You know the lyrics. It's more than like." Jon pointed out.

"Fine! I love Philip Philips. Happy?" Avery asked and rolled her eyes as Jon narrowed his eyes at her. He shrugged his shoulders.

Was he happy he made her admit it? Of course, he had won this argument.

Was he happy of her declaration of love for whoever that Philip dude was? Definitely not!

Avery was his... even if she had been the one to take him in, she was his.

His friend, companion and chef.

Jon was not the one to share!

He narrowed his eyes and decided that telling her that she was his might only irk her. Knowing how stubborn the she-wolf was, she would stop cooking for him on the principle alone. It was much safer for his dinner if he changed the topic all together.

"What are you preparing?" Jon found himself asking. That was a very neutral topic, right?

"Food." Avery flatly stated and closed the oven.

"Yeah, but what?" Jon asked slightly irritated at her smartass remark.

"Smashed potatoes and oven roasted lamb", she quickly told him.

"Where did you find lamb?" Jon asked in a surprise as his mouth was already more than watering. He was drooling. He loved lamb! He was a wolf after all...

"They have these big buildings they call stores these days," Avery explained giggling, obviously aware of his appreciation of the menu.

"You're not funny," Jon informed her. It was her turn to casually shrug her shoulders.

As she was pouring the water out of one of the pots, she started, "I was thinking..."

"I am done with chores for today, so forget about it" Jon snapped, interrupting her. All he could think about was the lamb in the oven and if she would entertain even for a moment the idea that he'd do another chore for her on an empty stomach, she was badly mistaken.

She rolled her eyes at him and then placed the pot on the counter, snatched and threw something at him. Jon quickly reacted catching the flying object, only to stare back at her when he figured out what he was holding – her cell phone! Why would she throw what appeared to be expensive piece of electronic at him? His eyes landed on her face that was smug. He narrowed his eyes at her. Jonathan didn't like it one bit when her smile got broader. She was up to something and he bet that he would like it even less than chopping wood. There were only two explanations of her action. One was that she had actually tried to check his reflexes which would imply she suspected who he was. The second one was equally as upsetting as the first – if not even more – that he had angered her to the point where hitting him in the head with her phone had seemed an acceptable punishment.

"The battery won't last long. Make a call, while you still can." Avery explanation was more puzzling than anything that he had expected.

"So I am no longer a guest, I am kidnapped. Do you really think I should be the one making the ransom call?" Jonathan chuckled, recovering nicely. She laughed at his response, her face shining of mischief and her cheeks slightly colored in a reddish hue.

"You're funny" She shook her head, clearly not believing that he was worth a ransom. She then continued with a friendly voice, "The generator is older than I am. My charger is in the trunk of my car, which is one big pile of snow at the moment. If you want to make a call to let someone know you are okay and assure them you are showed, fed and looked after, go ahead. The battery won't last long."

Jonathan smirked. She had just given her strategy away. All this time that Jonathan had thought that they were fighting over the control of the household, she had actually had another agenda in heart. She had wanted to take care of him by coyly making him shower, eat and was continuously looking after him, despite his prickly behavior.

She must be a teacher or at least a mother of three to manage to manipulate a grown man so easily. Moreover, she cooked like a pro. She was definitely a home-maker. He was only not certain if she did cook professionally or not. Make it a maybe chef, too.

Jonathan mind was working fast to process and give reasons to all of her actions. In the same time, his eyes landed on the sparkly blue phone that his fingers were rotating against the surface of the counter. He glanced at the date and almost choked on his own saliva.

January already?

He had been in his wolf form for over six months!

"Don't look so horrified. I am sure they will want to know you're alive and okay," Avery encouraged him, misreading his shock at discovering the date with anxiety to contact his family.

Jonathan glared at her cell phone thinking about his family. He could call Vanessa, but that phone call would easily be traced to his location. Jonathan had no doubt in his mind that the interim Monarch would opt to haul him back to the throne. Marcus had never been one to seek power. The Alpha of the Blackwood Pack wanted a family and the duties as the interim Monarch were surely preventing Marcus to enjoy being a mated wolf.

Six months? What had happened in those six months? Had Marcus married his cousin? Was Vanessa pregnant already? The way that they were going at it, Jonathan knew that Aunt Terry would be a happy grandnana quite soon if his beloved cousin would just chill and understand that being romantic didn't come easy to a werewolf that had spent a lifetime guarding his emotions. Some things were just better explained with gestures than romantic doodle-eyed candle light dinners.

For once in Jonathan's life, luck had been on his side. Had Nessa not been mated with Marcus by the time that Jonathan had reluctantly become the Monarch, Jonathan wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving her alone to deal with his Monarchy. No matter how feisty she was, Nessa could never win a challenge against a male shifter. However, her mate.... Now he was a whole other story. His reputation alone was enough to caution any pretenders! If Nessa was pregnant, Marcus' wolf would only increase his possessiveness of her. Nobody in their right mind would dare so much as breathe a threat without finding themselves six feet under.

If Jonathan needed to contact anyone, he could just open the mindlink to them. He didn't need a traceable phone call to let them know he was fine. Being the Monarch had its perks of contacting anyone. He just needed to focus. The Goddess knew that Nessa had been trying to link with him, pressing against the barriers that Jonathan had set in place to protect his own mind against mindlinks. Being stubborn ran in the family. Just as she was determined to bring him home, Jon was set in his ways to be left alone.

Do nothing.

Oh, well, maybe irritate Avery some more. He got a wicked sense of happiness whenever she glared at him with that murderous intent.

"Nope, I'm fine," Jonathan finally told her placing her phone back on the counter, then asked her, gesturing around him, "Why are doing this?" As she stared at him, he gestured back to himself, "Helping me?".

"Because I've been in your shoes and I know how hard it is to get back on your feet when life knocks you down," Avery said and Jonathan had a feeling that it was a well trained phrase that she had used before.

"You have no idea what I have been through!" He flatly stated.

"I don't need to know exactly what happened to you, to know you've been hurt. Perhaps spent too much time as a lone wolf? You need someone to lean on while you figure out whatever it is that affected you so much." Avery told him as if it was not a big deal and continued to smash the potatoes. But it was a big deal and it was strange how she had put her finger on it without so much as asking a question.

"So what's your story?" Jonathan casually asked, while all he wanted to do was to roar and demand the name of the person who had hurt her. She obviously spoke of the pain from experience. She might be irritating, but she was still a sweetheart at heart.

Whoever hurt her needed to die.... very painfully.

"Still painful, but I am getting over it. One day at a time," Avery replied vaguely and then as he narrowed his eyes at her, urging her to continue she took a deep breath. "You can't magically flip a switch and be all right with your past. But the past is the past. What's important is that you are alive and you will eventually move over it. When? Nobody really knows, but you owe it to yourself to give yourself a chance, or else whatever or whoever hurt you would win. At least that's how I choose look at it."

"So I am your charity case?"

"No. You help out around the house and earn your keep!" Avery pointed out.

Her implication was sudden. He was working for his stay and therefore he was not a charity case. She had successfully preserved his pride, or what was left of it, but forcing him to chop wood and help her. She had indeed been in his shoes, if she had figured out what exactly he needed.

Jonathan discovered that he had missed the structure that he had found in Pack Law. She had managed to fill that void by giving him her house rules. Only if he had listened more closely to her talking, instead of focusing on his anger he would have figured her out already.

"It seems like I am in a disadvantage here. You've done this before?"

"You're a smarty-pants" Avery chuckled, praising him and flashing him a bright smile.

Jonathan didn't miss the endearment there. Smarty-pants instead of smartass. She was warming up to him and that made him smirk.

"You are cunning!" Jonathan said, trying to decipher the mystery of a she-wolf that stood in front of him.

"You are outspoken, which sometimes borderlines being very rude" Avery informed him.

"I meant it as a compliment" Jon defended himself.

"Oh" Avery gasped and stopped beating the poor potatoes. Her eyes scanned his face and then continued, "You're still very blunt at times. Sorry."

He corrected her, "No, you're not. You enjoy it as it gives you the chance to try to straighten me out!"

"Busted!" Avery exclaimed, chuckling.

***

Avery

It usually took a while for pups to open up and actually want to talk with her when they first arrived in the Pack. So when he decided to talk, even if it was to ask her about her past, she didn't mind. If he wanted to talk, she would let him know she'd be there to listen. Wasn't that what all psychiatrists did all day? The only difference between them and Avery was that she wouldn't charge him a hefty amount for their conversation. He would have to repay her with good old manual labor. She grinned at the prospective of seeing him walking around shirtless or watching that impressive bone structure fill with some more muscles. It was repayment enough to entertain her sore eyes.

"Hey, by the way, what's your name?" Avery couldn't help but ask. Her question made him halt, jaw slightly ajar.

"Right!" He agreed, "I never had the chance to tell you my name!"

Anytime now, Avery wanted to say, but held back. He made a remarkable progress and she didn't want to push too soon and cause him to close up, especially now that he had figured out her intentions.

"Very good question. I definitely don't want to give you the wrong impression that Ass is my name", he smugly replied in a teasing manner and then extended his hand at her, "Hi. I'm Jon."

"How Original Mr. Doe" she retorted, rolling her eyes, but still reached out and shook his hand. She desperately wanted to touch him and it was the right thing to do.

Shake his hand.

But how much she wanted to slip her hands onto his hands and up to his shoulders.

Damn, even as skinny as his frame was, she was captivated.

No, no, no.

She couldn't be lusting for him. He was a Rogue that needed her help. A patient of sorts if you will. You did not date patients.

But she could wish and daydream about the endless possibilities.

It was clear that he was goofing around with her. If he wouldn't take this serious, she had a very interesting book that was waiting for her. As Avery proceeded to share their meal, his husky voice started:

"I'm not messing with you. My name is Jon... for real," he told her, then asked: "Why do you live here?"

"Vacation cottage", she responded to his question, only to witness his face to lighten up.

"Aha, I knew it! It was too bare to be your place!" He cheerfully smiled as she had obviously confirmed his suspicion that she didn't live here permanently.

"It sure beats living in the bushes, so I would be very careful what I say next!" She scolded him playfully.

"Compared to the bushes, it's majestic" Jon chuckled. "But in all honesty, you offered me a place to stay, I couldn't turn it down!" He smirked.

"You invaded my home", she pointed out, expecting him to rebut her.

"Touche!" He admitted his grin widening. Then he seriously applied, "I can see how you would feel that way. I'm sorry".

"Apology accepted." She said while Jon rolled his eyes. "What gave it away that I don't live here all the time?"

"You just look like someone who would decorate the livin' shit out of it if you had the time".

Avery flat out laughed at him.

"And what made you think I am that pampered?" Avery inquired.

Yes, in another life, she had been pampered. But not now.

"Art-sy!" He corrected her.

"That's not a word" She argued and then helped him out, "Creative."

"Fine, what are you into?" He inquired.

"Jewelry."

"You and all other females!" Jon rolled his eyes at her, waving her comment off.

"No, I make jewelry!" She found herself admitting.

Oh, well, it wouldn't hurt if she showed him. She quickly went closer to him and took her phone from beside him, scooting closer to him and showed him some pictures of her handmade jewelry. It had been merely her hobby, which only grew to a business as she needed the money to support the shelter.

His nostrils flared and Avery couldn't guess if it was because of his obvious disapproval of her business or the fact that she smelled unpleasant. Did she smell? She had taken a shower in the morning! Avery tried to put some distance between them as she had unintentionally leaned into his tall frame, all too eager to tell him more about her hobby and show him photos of her final pieces. It wasn't her fault that his body was radiating warmth that produced heat in unexpected places all over her body!

Damn, she was sweating, drooling and all kind of worked up in his presence!

Avery quickly decided that distance was the remedy. She concluded, stepping away from him and going to check up on the food, "So yeah, it's my own little business venture of sorts".

"You're good" Jon told her.

His praise warmed her heart. It was always nice to hear that others appreciated her work, but to hear Jon "The Brute" admit that her work was pretty was beyond words. She grinned as wide as the Cheshire cat.

"Thanks!" Avery said and tried not to blush. She felt her cheeks warming. How embarrassing!

She went to the oven and pulled the lamb off it and proceeded to share it between their plates, reminding him over her shoulder, "You sure you don't want to call someone?"

"No, girlfriend!" He flatly responded digging into the small fridge as he was looking for something to drink.

Avery rolled her eyes at him.

"Ass" She huffed.

***

Jonathan

She was indeed full of surprises. Jonathan knew she was a smarty pants, but didn't expect her to be running her own business. And hands down, preying on the obscenely amount of jewelry that she-wolves apparently needed would be a lucrative business.

The closest Jonathan had been to opening his wallet to the vultures that called themselves Jewelers was when he had met Juliet Gray. Never before had the thought even crossed his mind. His previous flings knew that they were exactly that – one or two night stands. He hadn't wanted any strings attached to him, in case his Mate finally crossed paths with him!

What good had it done to him?

Out of all she-wolves on this planet, Fate had to give him the most obnoxious one.

One that chose comfort over love, a cheating mate over a devoted one!

Jonathan found himself getting worked up again.

This was not healthy.

He glanced at Avery's extended hand and at the cell phone she was holding.

"You sure you don't want to call someone?"

"No, girlfriend!" He flatly responded digging into the small fridge as he was looking for something to drink.

It was easier to make her drop the topic by simply calling her girlfriend than if he had actually snapped at her and told her it was none of her business.

Her persistence to insulting his rear was a strategy that she predictably followed. The moment he called her girlfriend, he knew she would retort back.

Avery replied came without delay, "Ass".

Revengeful she-wolf – his wolf supplied. Yes, he had to get used to it. That and their endearment game.

"Didn't we agree to leave my ass alone if I drop the girlfriend?" He sighed, rubbing his forehead as he took two beers from her fridge. It was surprising how the fridge was well stocked with beer.

Was she expecting a male company?

"And did you?"

"Hell, yeah, girl..." He continued, stopping himself short of adding "friend". As he realized his almost slip up he smirked at her. It wasn't intentional for him to cut the endearment short. It simply happened. And boy, was it fun to rattle her or what? He asked, "So what do you do in this god-forsaken place?".

"Hey, don't insult my cottage! If it is not up to your standards, you can try your luck outside, your Majesty!" She snapped at him, shoeing him off into the blizzard outside.

He cringed at "Your Majesty" part. He loathed any reminder of his title and what he had to go through to end up with it. Leaving his bitter past aside, he found it ironic how she was trying to insult him by mocking him, hinting that she thought him spoilt, while on subconscious level her own wolf was giving him the respect that his station demanded. Jonathan chose to ignore her obvious misinterpretation of her wolf's thoughts.

He followed her to the living room couch, where his eyes focused on a book cover, he knew all too well. "Taken" by Raven Devenheart... Damn, Nessa's book has been a best seller but never before had Jon really thought about its implications. Nessa had fans, most of which were she-wolves. They found her story entertaining as it spoke of a world of passion that rivaled the one of the mating bond. Her own father – Lead Interrogator Frank had sent Joel Rifkin, a very promising recruit at the time, to retrieve this author Miss Devenheart under the accusation that she was revealing their society to the outside world. They had all believed that they were doing legit work for Pack Law, only to discover that Frank had sent them to fetch his daughter, before she could slip into the darkness.

Darkness that Jonathan now knew first hand.

That only made Jon realize that he had actually missed being around others. He had missed being human - or as human as a werewolves could be.

He also couldn't deny that her cabin, despite lacking luxury, was functional, practical... and homey? Surprisingly, his wolf was at bay. The punk must have missed the comforts of human society, too.

Moreover, Jonathan found himself liking the smell of this place. It smelled Avery and her scent was delicious! But that was not a surprise. She possessed mad cooking skills and he was looking forward to his next home-cooked meal. He literally couldn't remember when was the last time he had eaten, much less a home-cooked meal. Twice in the span of less than 24 hours, if he had to be exact.

The next meal couldn't come fast enough!

She pulled her book towards her chest and arched away from him, as soon as he took a seat next to her. She was trying to regaining some of her personal space that he had invaded. In his defense, she had picked to sit here and he was not going to deprive himself of her company, only because it meant that his arm would brush hers when they ate! It was certainly not his fault either that her couch was small enough to only fit two.

Jonathan narrowed his eyes at her as his attention quickly shifting to where the book hit her chest as she was startled at his approach. Why haven't he noticed it before? She had a quite splendid figure! He huffed loudly earning him a dead glare out of Avery.

"What?"

"I believe it is customary to talk while eating dinner. Reading can be considered insulting your companion!" He huffed, trying to hide his frustration. It was obvious that she was ignoring him, but it was not like he had done something to upset her.

"I am sorry. I'm almost at the end of the book and it is super interesting" Avery admitted as she popped a spoonful of mashed potatoes in her mouth. She gave him a shy smile and slid the spoon out of her lips. Jonathan stiffened at the way that her plum lips made the casual gesture seem so sensual.

Why was he acting this way?

Hell, if Jonathan knew.

But deep inside his heart – he like it.

Before he could talk himself out of it, his fingers snapped at her hair as he twisted a strand of her coppery hair around his finger. She quickly swatted his hands away and glared at him.

"I find you interesting" Jonathan found himself saying and then quickly covered his slip up "You cook like a chef, handle an injured wolf like a vet and even manage to manipulate me into doing stuff for you! Who are you?"

***

Avery

Damn him. Did he have worms in his pants to prevent him from sitting in one and the same place for more than two minutes or what? He couldn't possibly be bored. His plate was untouched and she could bet that he was hungry after chopping wood for the better part of the day!

But more importantly, what was up with that "Who are you"?

"I love reading. Devenheart is awesome author. So sorry if I am being a little bit obsessed with the way the story will end" Avery told him.

"I can imagine. Especially if you believe that she is a werewolf herself."

"I would have never picked you of someone that liked Devenheart's writing!"

"Maybe I have read it?"

"You didn't" Avery quickly stated.

"Fine, I didn't, but even you have to agree that chick-flicks are meant for predominantly female audience"

"You know how to read?" Avery giggled, picking up on him, just as he was stereotyping the audience for Devenheart's books.

"You serious right now?" He grunted. She rolled her eyes and huffed.

"Fine, you don't read chick flicks, but you might want to consider reading a book once in a while and maybe next time when you get into a fight you won't part with a souvenir from the occasion!" She tried to gently nudge him in the right direction. Why all out of the sudden did she feel compelled to really get involved in his life? Nah, saving lost puppies had become her second nature, an obsession that she had to put a reasonable stop to!

"Babe, it's called battle scars, something that you would be oblivious about. But they mean I lived to tell the tale..."

"...that someone obviously bested you", she rudely interrupted. Avery expected him to growl his displeasure, so his leveled response surprised her.

"No, it means I survived. They didn't", he casually informed her and then smirked at what she presumed what her surprised face.

He was openly talking! That was an improvement. Or so she thought before she heard him say: "Plus aren't scars sexy or something?!"

"Or something..." She sarcastically agreed. "At the rate that you're going at them, you'd be dead by the time you turn thirty!".

"Maybe I am already thirty!" He tested her; conveniently omitting the fact that she had obviously checked him out to know that he had more than the scar on the left side of his face. It surprised her that he didn't find a way to shove her little unsolicited confession in her face.

She had indeed seen him naked. Granted, he had paraded himself in front of her on the sole principle of making her uncomfortable! But her eyes had lingered on him. He knew it too, hence the smirk that spread on his face.

***

Jonathan

Why all of the sudden was he wishing that he could level the play-field and see her in the nude, too?

"Maybe I should just strangle you myself and get it over with?" She muttered and ignored his presence returning back to her book.

Jonathan glanced at her and this time the book wasn't what got his attention. He quickly realized – had she really thought of strangling him? The thought was absurd! Even if he assumed he wouldn't defend himself, it was beyond improbable for her to successfully manage to strangle him to death. Not that Jonathan wished to brag, but he was bulky and thought and he doubted that her hands were going to encircle his neck and apply the needed constriction to even knock him out.

Who was she kidding?

Her body was made for love, not for war. If that was not sexist enough, he found himself envisioning just how much love he could give her before she would scream his name in delight.

Why hasn't he noticed her deliciousness earlier?

Because he was distracted with the real food.

But now that his hunger was being sated by her wonderful dishes, he could not pass without acknowledging her set of perfectly rounded beasts that were the sole culprit behind his distraction and hard on.

His imagination drew a very vivid picture of Avery on top of him, trying to strangle him in his sleep. It surely didn't seem like a bad way to go. Oh, of course, if he really had to go, he would prefer her strangling him naked. You couldn't refuse a dying man's wish now, could you?

He quickly peeled his eyes off her and awkwardly rearranged himself beside her. It would be beyond humiliating if she noticed his arousal. Or smell it as she was a she-wolf after all!

He was angry and more than aroused picturing things that would never be!

Damn it!

Had he stayed in his wolf form, he wouldn't have this problem at hand. After all, his wolf had peacefully slept by her side all night long without so much as an inappropriate image or comment! True, he had gotten a bit domineering in the morning, but that was only because of the way she had spoken to him!

Best line of defense is offense, he reminded himself.

"Did you just threaten me?" His voice was low and surprised.

"Did you feel threatened?" She asked sneaking her eyes towards the book.

"No", he shook his head.

Avery was really obsessed with that damn book and it made him wish she would show the same level of dedication towards him. After all wasn't he more interesting that Nessa's scribbling?

"Then you have your answer", she calmly replied and again tried to ignore him again in favor for her book.

"Look at me when we are talking", Jonathan commanded her. Why did he do that was beyond him! As her attention snapped at him, he tried to cover up his temporal lapse of judgment by leveling his breathing.

"I begin to understand why they say never take in strays!" She spoke before he could come up with an excuse. Her eyes were still focused on him, as per his command.

"Why?" He cautiously asked, forgetting the apology that he was about to say.

"Why? Aren't you a ray of pure sunshine!" She snapped at him only to receive a growl from him. She reached out and swatted the back of his neck. "Don't growl at me! You relinquished that right the moment you started moping around and throwing attention tantrums!"

"You better keep your tongue and hands in check!" He warned her, hissing through his teeth.

"You are under my roof!" She hissed right back at him. "You would do good to remember it! Stop being like an overgrown pup! If you so badly want respect, earn it!".

She informed him and fought his Command. She turned the page of her book and surprisingly her eyes managed to peel themselves off his and continued reading.

"Just disrespect me again and you will see what happens!" Jonathan promised her.

"You'll starve to death?" She ironically asked, lightening up the mood between them.

Even if he wanted to stay mad at her for disrespecting and physically insulting him, he couldn't. He actually wanted to be fed come tomorrow. Jon had no doubt that she was capable of ignoring him in favor for her damn book, letting him fend for himself just to spite him.

He chuckled at the unexpected retort as his hand fisted onto his thigh.

"You don't know shit about me", he calmly retorted.

The change in him must have surprised Avery. He was calm and collected, almost impartial to whatever she was thinking or had to say. Almost.... The smirk spread on his face the moment that her surprise registered in his mind.

How do you like mind games now?

He wanted to ask her, but chose to stay calm.

"So you are not an overgrown needy smartass, who is bored?"

"You have a wicked admiration for my ass! That's a first..." He pointed out, smiling. She punched his shoulder with her fist. "You hit like a girl", Jonathan chuckled. The Pack Law Official in him had to pick up on poorly executed technique. She really had no clue on how to properly throw a punch! That only showed him how truly unprepared she was to defend herself if need arose. "You would be acting differently, if you knew me better", he then applied, keeping a friendly smile on his face.

"Get your mind out of the gutter! I told you, you're not my type!" Avery fumed.

Not that Jonathan was thinking about that, but now that she had mentioned it, he found himself wondering, why was she so vividly against the idea?

"That's because you are too stuffed up to let yourself go and live a little. But then again it's not surprising, you're nerdy with the way you can't keep her nose out of the book for two seconds" Jonathan chuckled. She had a very concentrated face while she was reading and would cringe when she didn't like what she was reading. Yes, Jonathan has noticed her reading habit. It was his job that made him stay on high alert and notice even small details about his surroundings.

"Really? You'd bully the one person who actually showed some kindness towards you? You must be so proud of yourself, asshole!" Avery shouted at him. Before she could comprehend, Jon sprung into action, pouncing at her, pushing her back against the sofa, slightly moving over her, while his hand securely wrapped over her mouth.

Jonathan could tolerate a lot of remarks and insults, but cursing from her pretty lips was where he drew a line. It simply didn't seem right to let such a behavior go uncorrected.

"You are never to speak such distasteful words in my presence again!" He commanded her and then told her in a much sterner voice, "Do you understand?". She nodded, lost of words, as he released her. "Secondly, I didn't mean nerdy as an insult. You are obviously smart, but have no experience in the real world. Can you even tell me what possessed you to open your home to me?" Avery was going to reply but he clamped his hand over her mouth again and continued talking, "You should be scared of me, not helping me out! You are obviously a nice person... too nice for your own good if you ask me! I can overpower you even without shifting but you still keep on infuriating me! So there, I can take shit from you and you can try to rattle me all you want. But I draw a line at swearing. Cussing is not allowed. Got it?" He asked her again and she nodded her reply. He slowly let her go, and he pulled himself again into his sitting position and then continued eating as if his outburst didn't happen mere seconds ago.

The meal long forgotten stood by her side, until Jon finally gave her plate into her hands, urging her to eat. It was a delicious treat and he didn't want her to miss out on it.

As they ate in comfortable silence, Jonathan grinned as he realized that he did feel cozy.

***

Yip, Avery is a jewelry maker.. I bet you didn't see that one coming, but in her defense - she has a pack to support and those pups eat a lot.... lol... Anyways, why I gave her a job? Short answer: I am sick and tired of werewolf stories where the girl gets a mate (and he is always the Alpha - makes you think that there are ONLY Alphas worth writing for but that's a whole other issue that I am not going to start up on) and the mate is so filty rich that she is like - oh, the mansion, oh, the fast cars, oh, the things he buys for her. For the Change - Nessa was working for her living, and it only made sense to continue making my female leads responsible, independent women who are trying to make a life out on their own because of their crappy mates. So Avery needed a job that can be done from at home, for pups to be able to participate in it and to be a home-grown business of sorts. And jewelry making came to mind. It also helped that I myself love handmade jewelry and even venture into it. The picture on the side is actually a set of earrings that I have made... I am quite proud of them... lol... anyways, now you know if I am MIA from Wattpad what the hell I am doing.

Jewelry note aside, I do hope you enjoyed the chapter. I tried to show the raging fires in both of my lovelies. It's now a matter of the right time and the adventure that they will be pulled. Yip, the boring winter scenes are going to come to end really soon. After all, Avery has a mission: finding a combat instructor and you'll never know where she'd start her search.... (that and more in the next chapter)...

Until then feel free to message, vote and comment.

xoxo,

SteamyHot

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15K 735 25
Willow Ashen is a white wolf and never thought it was possible for her to get a mate as no one would be able to match her power... or so she thought...
538 78 15
Someone rescued Avery Lane from a fiery car crash three months ago, and she's been searching for the person who saved her ever since. Avery writes G...
2.8M 139K 46
Grace has spent the past two years locked up and held prisoner by Kellan and his rogues. Now that she is finally free she wants nothing more than to...
59.7K 1.9K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...