A Broken Heart

By ZeroS_1127

Betrayed and deceived by the ones he loved the most. Heartbroken with no one by his side. This is the tale of... More

Chapter One - Melancholic Past
Chapter Two - Newborn Sentiment
Chapter Three - Confusion
Chapter Four - Professor Rowen
Chapter Five - First Friend
Chapter Six - My Name
Chapter Seven - First Lie
Chapter Eight - The Infirmary
Chapter Nine - Heart-throbbing Thunderstorm
Chapter Ten - A Smile from the Heart
Chapter Eleven - Betrayal and Regret
Chapter Twelve - The Real Ash Ketchum
Chapter Thirteen - Hidden Thoughts and Feelings
Chapter Fourteen - Misty Waterflower
Chapter Fifteen - Jealousy
Chapter Sixteen - We Could Be Friends
Chapter Seventeen - The Three of Us
Chapter Nineteen - Uncanny Dream
Chapter Twenty - Ash's Disappearance
Chapter Twenty One - Tension
Chapter Twenty Two - May's Perturbation
Chapter Twenty Three - Rocket Research
Chapter Twenty Four - Extricating Ash
Chapter Twenty Five - Alice
Chapter Twenty Six - Johanna's Rage
Chapter Twenty Seven - Who Am I?
Chapter Twenty Eight - The Air-headed Princess

Chapter Eighteen - Reconciliation

1.2K 20 10
By ZeroS_1127

Dawn's POV

I'd always wish that school would end as soon as possible everyday, however, it doesn't apply today. The day that I don't want school to end quickly, it does.

After my last lesson had ended, I'm waiting in front of the school gates for Ash and Misty. Ash had notified me that he's on class duty today hence would be slightly late but I have no idea why Misty is also behind time. I suppose she did seem to be the unpunctual type. I lean on the gates and stare into space as I wait for the both of them.

Around five minutes later, I hear the sound of footsteps approaching me from behind. I turn around with my eyes closed, expecting it to be either Ash or Misty.

"Geez! What took you so lo-" 

I slowly open my eyes and feel instant regret. M-May? Why would she still be at school now? May had always been the type to leave school as soon as possible after the last bell rings. 

I spontaneously start stepping back and dashing off. At the corner of my eye, I catch sight of May extending her hand towards me but I brush it off. My eyes must've been playing tricks on me, it's impossible if I think about it.

May's POV

My hand wasn't able to reach and I couldn't bring myself to chase after her. I can only watch Dawn's back as she dashes off in the distance, shedding tears that are supposed to be all cried out this morning.

I remain motionless until Dawn disappears from my sight. Beginning to leave, I feel a hand on my shoulder that stop me. I spin around to find Misty and him.

Ash's POV

On the way out, after completing my class duties, I coincidentally meet up with Miss Waterflower. She claim to have been returning a library book that's due today which is why she's also late. We head out of the school building together, imagining how infuriated Dawn would be with us.

A brunette girl catches my eye once we're outside. She looks strangely familiar and as we advance closer, I realise it's May Maple. I remember she being the one who broke Dawn's heart a few weeks back. I still vividly recall the day that Dawn cried painfully in my arms. I never believed that I would come to hate a specific person until now. I want to quickly leave but Miss Waterflower has different thoughts. She begins approaching her, dragging me along.

Miss Waterflower is certainly the social type that seems to enjoy communicating with anyone she sees. She lightly grabs her shoulder, stopping her from leaving. Miss Maple turns around and I notice her eyes seems to be swollen with dried tears stained on her cheeks. She glares at me like I'm a criminal, emphasising her hatred towards me clearly.

"Hey! You're May right? Is there something wrong? You seem to be rather shaken." Miss Waterflower questions.

She didn't respond but continues scowling at me instead, creating an uncomfortable atmosphere between us. Miss Waterflower seems to have noticed and speaks out loudly again.

"If I'm not mistaken, you're Dawny's ex-bestie right? Thanks to you, I have the chance to take your place so it isn't all that bad. Throwing away the greatest friend a person could have, is that the reason you were crying?"

Miss Waterflower knew? I suppose Dawn and Miss Maple's dissension that led to the break up of their friendship spread like wildfire around school for the past few weeks. However, I don't understand why Miss Waterflower would provoke her all of a sudden.

I notice Miss Maple balling up her hands into fists and her body begin shaking. I want to fix the tension between them but Miss Maple speaks out before I could.

"Wh-What's your problem?! Are you here just to show off? I have absolutely no interest in Dawn anymore! She can be e-easily replaced in my life! I-I-"

Before being able to finish her words, Miss Maple burst into tears. 

H-Huh? Miss Maple is rather similar to Miss Waterflower, always cheerful and seen with a smile. It's rather shocking for me to see her like this. All of a sudden, Miss Waterflower pulls her into a hug and quietly whispers beside her ear.

"That's a lie, right? The truth is that you regret betraying her and desire to return back to her side, right?"

Miss Maple regrets her actions? 

I look briefly at her and thought back to the moments where I noticed her stealing glances of Dawn in class. Only after Miss Waterflower had pointed it out, I realise that Miss Maple has always looked at Dawn with remorse. I've never considered Miss Maple's feelings and only looked at the situation from a single perspective, I'm certainly too naive. Miss Maple catches my stare and stops crying before pushing Miss Waterflower away.

"I-It's all your fault!" She blurts out, pointing her index finger at me.

I wait for her to continue instead of arguing back.

"If only Dawn had never met you! My friendship with her would've never ended up like this! If only....." Her voice slowly drifts away as she stare at the ground. 

Instead of feeling pain in my heart upon hearing those words, I feel guilt. The urge to apologise start growing inside of me as I'm clearly the reason why both of them ended up misunderstanding each other. Once again, Miss Waterflower speaks out before I can gather up enough courage to apologise directly to her.

"May, join our sleepover! It's a great opportunity for you and Dawn to mend your friendship." She suggests with a grin.

"Ehh?!" Miss Maple and I yell in unison. A moment of silence pass before Miss Maple responds to Miss Waterflower's suggestion.

"It's useless. Dawn and I bumped into each other while she waited for the two of you but took off the moment she saw me, I'll never be forgiven. Especially since she's befriended you, Dawn just doesn't need me anymore. There's nothing in it for her to forgive me."

Miss Waterflower sigh and grabs her hand.

"New plans! May is going to replace Ashy for the sleepover! Dawn's probably waiting for us at her house, let's hurry!"

I want to protest but Miss Waterflower winks at me before dragging Miss Maple away with her, I smile and decide to put my trust in her.

"Best of luck, Miss Maple." I whisper to myself as they disappear in the distance.

Dawn's POV

Slamming the door shut as I arrive home. Just what am I doing? I continue to run away from reality and repeatedly lose control of myself whenever I see May, I was even supposed to wait for Ash and Misty! I wonder if they're enraged or still searching for me around school. It slipped my mind to exchange phone numbers with them therefore I cannot contact them unless I head back to school.

I pace around in circles, thinking of a solution, until the doorbell rings. Did they come directly to my house? I suppose Ash had been here before so they should know the way but how did they realise that I'm already home? Pushing my thoughts aside, I quickly open the door and it's none other than Misty who stands outside. However, the person behind her doesn't seem to be Ash.

"Welcome Misty! I-uh- had some urgent matters to attend to so I left ahead. I'm surprised you know the way." I greet her as casually as I could.

"It's fine! A special guest had led the way! She'll also be replacing Ash since he's had a sudden notice at work." Misty replies.

A special guest? I cannot take a proper look at who it is as they're hiding behind Misty. Perhaps it's one of Misty's friends? It'll be awkward if I don't know her name. But Misty mentioned that this 'special guest' led her to my house, therefore, it must be someone I know of and quite close to. Hmm....... Someone that Misty knows and I'm close with..... No one is coming up in my head. Misty finally shifts aside and the shadowy figure emerge from behind.

"Our special guest that'll be joining is May Maple!" She announces.

Ah, it's only May..... 

I replay her words in my mind a few times before it finally strikes me.

"Wh-What?!" I yell aloud unintentionally.

I focus my attention on the brunette girl who has her head down and bows instead of greeting me verbally. I take a deep breathe and move aside to let them in. They made themselves comfortable in the living room and we all sat on the couch together.

No one spoke, not even Misty. We're all sitting in awkward silence without anything to do until I decide that I've had enough.

"Anyone want something to drink?" I offer, hoping to brighten up the mood.

May remain silent but thankfully Misty replies.

"Orange juice!"

I nod and look back at May.

"If I remembered correctly, Miss Maple prefers strawberry juice correct?" I ask, remaining as calm as I could.

May gaze at me and nods her head ever so slightly. I head inside the kitchen and pour May's strawberry juice first. I scan the fridge for the orange juice afterwards but realise that I've ran out. I make my way back to living room to reveal the bad news to Misty.

"Sorry Misty, it seems that I'm out of orange juice. Is there anything else I could get you?"

She takes a few moments to think before answering.

"Ah! On the way here, I noticed there's a convenience store down the road! You can get some there! Pretty please?" Misty looks at me with her irresistible puppy-dog eyes and it did the trick once again.

"Alright, alright." I raise my hands up in defeat.

"Yay! You and May should go together, I'll watch the house!"

I give up on protesting since I now understand that Misty's the type of person who doesn't take 'no' for an answer. I head outside and May quietly follows behind, her intense stare can be felt even if I can't see her directly.

The journey is no longer than ten minutes but it feels like eternity to me. Both of us refuse to talk and we almost arrive but as luck would have it, I trip over an uneven tile which is sticking out of the ground.

"Ow...." I mumble as I slowly sit up on the ground, rubbing my ankles. May rush over and kneels down beside me.

"A-Are you alright, Dawn? D-Did you injure yourself anywhere?" She softly stutters.

Is she worried about me? I've never once heard May stutter before, even back when we first met, she had always been the extroverted type that spoke whatever on her mind. This is a new side of May that I've never seen before and it's rather unexpected.

"I'm fine, Miss Maple. Perhaps I've slightly scratched my knees but there isn't a need to worry. Thank you for your concern." I respond, brushing the dirt off my skirt as I stand up.

I wait awhile for May to stand but she doesn't. She's focusing on the ground hence I can't make out her expression.

"Argh! I've had enough! Just what's wrong with you?!" She abruptly stands and blurt out, looking directly into my eyes.

"J-Just because you've found a new best friend..... J-Just because you started talking formally towards me........" Tears start forming around her eyes and it breaks me when she starts crying.

My eyes and ears aren't deceiving me, right? Was May lonely without me? Even though she's the one who betrayed our friendship? May begins inching towards me, I can't bring myself to push her away when she pulls me into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry, Dawn! I'm sorry that I badmouthed your friend. I'm sorry for betraying you. I'm sorry that I was a terrible friend! I'm truly sorry about everything! That's why.....please....come back to me. Without you, I-I'm.... lonely....."

Hearing those words, I unconsciously hug her back. Hating May was probably impossible from the start and hearing her confession brought great happiness to me. We continue embracing each other in the middle of the road, both sobbing quietly. I'm certain that passersby would look at us strangely but I can't care less at this moment. Once we finally release one another, I chuckle to myself.

"Huh? What's wrong, Dawn?"

"No, it's nothing important. I'm just thinking that it's surprising that May would apologise and confess that she's lonely. It feels totally out of character for you."

"It's not my fault! You're the one who made me like this...." She pouts.

"Sorry, sorry." I giggle.

"But I honestly missed you and it's undeniable." May whispers and gives me an endearing smile, one that I thought would never see again.

"I missed you too, May." I reply with my signature smile.

"Really? You seemed to be doing just fine without me! Especially with your new best friend, Misty. She also calls you 'Dawny'! Even I've never given you a nickname before!" She pout.

"I've never given permission for her to call me 'Dawny', Misty did it on her own accord. I don't mind if you also call me by that nickname though." I reply before chuckling at her jealousy.

"Nah, I think I'll stick with Dawn." She grins.

"Good choice. Now let's get that orange juice before Misty throws a tantrum!" I smile and hold her hand with mine.

May nods and squeezes our hands tightly as we head inside the convenience store. She drags me around the aisles and hides snacks in our shopping basket. I feel as if my clouded heart is finally cleared up, everything around me is starting to sparkle. I realise that May's existence is more important to me than I thought. In fact, I probably won't feel at ease unless she's beside me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 139 49
When Goh returns to Uni for his second year, he's told he will get a new roommate. He's suprised when he sees it's the well-known, slightly troubleso...
18.1K 286 10
Ash ketchum.... a normal boy. He had friends, cared for his Pokemon and had a happy go lucky personality.... atleast that's s what his friends thou...
4.7K 72 18
(This story has the combination of 3 types of Pokemon stories. 1. Ash betrayed, 2. Ash bullied, and 3. University. So let's head to the description)...
18.9K 371 11
Ash Ketchum is a man of his word. Ever since he left on his journey, he's been keeping every single promise he's made. Once, he made promises to all...