The Challenge of the Masters

By DianaTheThird

♈ - Book II of the Astral Guardians Series - ♌ A princess who has the fate of the worlds in her hands. A prin... More

⊱⊰ 1: Lionheart [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 2: Empathy [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 3: Obstacle [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 4: Emotions [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 5: A Small Town Called Io [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 7: Question of Control [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 8: When the Enemy Knocks the Door [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 9: Always on My Mind [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 10: On the Road [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 11: Lucid Dreams [New] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 12: Home [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 13: Idealism of the Dragon King [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 14: Welcome to London [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 15: A Mother's Heart [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 16: The Guardian that Steals Light [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 17: Sagittarius [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 18: Meet the Malulus [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 19: The Chosen Ones' Quest [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 20: The Only Treasure [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 21: Appearances [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 22: Deceit [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 23: Payback [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 24: A Trick of the Mind [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 25: Shield of Cancer [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 26: Kaus Australis [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 27: A New Journey [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 28: Faded Snapshots [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 29: Saranyu of Ribawe [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 30: A Heart's Desire [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 31: Lunara [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 32: Lady Urié [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 33: Whispers of the Mysterious Master [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 34: Lotus Flower [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 35: Arrival of the Royal Family [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 36: Capricorn [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 37: Virgo's Wish [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 38: An Invisible Threat [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 39: A Twist of Fate [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 40: Departure [Revised] ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 41: Enemy's Territory ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 42: Park of Endless Caves ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 43: Risk ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 44: Ellanie's Tale ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 45: Haven ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 46: No Way Out ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 47: The Earth Master's Call ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 48: Rampage ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 49: Reunion ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 50: Fire and Earth ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 51: After the Fall ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 52: An Unusual Family ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 53: Two Worlds ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 54: At the Mother Island ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 55: Song of the Water Goddess ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 56: Under the Sea ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 57: Regrets ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 58: Accords ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 59: The Siren's Call ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 60: Riddle of the Hidden Master ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 61: Where the Waters Don't Meet ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 62: Gas, Solid, Liquid and a Foe ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 63: Circumstances ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 64: Fate of the Unknown ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ 65: New Beginnings ⊱⊰
⊱⊰ Epilogue ⊱⊰
~ Author's Note ~
⊱⊰ Teaser + Announcement ⊱⊰

⊱⊰ 6: Rune [Revised] ⊱⊰

1.2K 116 313
By DianaTheThird

"That man must be feeling threatened to spread his soldiers all over Celestia," said Arisa's grandfather, his tone sounding a bit intrigued.

Arisa gazed at her grandfather, her heart racing at the mention of the soldiers. 

After returning from Io Town in a hurry, everyone—excluding the twins—had gathered in the living room for a quick meeting. The late afternoon sun escaped through the window, brightening the cream-colored walls and illuminating the room that had a few sofas and several types of furniture garnishing the area.

Hearing her grandfather mentioning the soldiers, Arisa remembered what she saw and heard in that town. 

She curled her fingers as her heart pumped fear and sorrow. Throughout her life, up until she traveled to the Forbidden Lands, she never attempted to hurt even a small bug. Anyone close to her knew she valued life, yet the King had the courage to taint her innocence by spreading those wanted posters.

Despite being disgusted with what the King had done to find her, she couldn't feel any anger towards his son as her sorrow was stronger.

She tried to imagine the boy she considered her best friend, drawing her picture for the sole purpose to hunt her down. She swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat; she couldn't believe that he had the courage to do that.

For sure, people who developed a deep bond with one another wouldn't let anyone hurt their friends. Even if that someone was a family member.

"Well," said Elise, saving Arisa from her thoughts, "he has two things to worry about: the loss of his son's powers and the loss of his throne."

Arisa's brows arched. "The throne."

A sudden realization sped Arisa's heart. After she was told about the quest to bring peace to the worlds, Arisa focused so much on her mission that she had forgotten about her heritage.

"Yes, Your Highness," said Elise, gazing at Arisa from the other side of the room. "That throne is yours by right; you have to reclaim it."

Arisa clenched her fists, remembering the other truth about her. If her team succeeded with their quest, the battle between her and Zen wouldn't end there.

In the end, we were destined to be enemies.

She took a deep breath. Even though a month had passed since she last saw him, the thought of fighting him still ached her heart.

A month without seeing him wasn't enough to erase those strong feelings.

She placed her hand on her chest, feeling her racing heart. If it meant saving her people from the Eterians' nightmare, she would do her best to reclaim her throne.

"I understand his fear of losing his power to rule Celestia." Her grandmother's voice washed away Arisa's thoughts. "But why would he fear his son losing his Astral powers? He is his son. If I'm not mistaken, the people of the Dragon Clan are one of the strongest species of Eteria."

"His son is not fully Eterian," Elise replied. "His mother, Yueli, was an Earthling. His powers might be limited."

Arisa's grandmother gazed at Elise, her brows arching. "Oh, I didn't know his wife was an Earthling. That's surprising. Who would have thought an Eterian, especially a Dragon King, would have an Earthling as his wife."

"His marriage caught everyone by surprise," said Elise. "In their tradition, if I'm not mistaken, Dragon Kings chose a concubine to bear an heir for them. I heard that they usually choose someone from their clan."

Arisa's brows raised at that revelation. She couldn't help but wonder about Zen's mother. She had heard so many great things about her that she wished she could have met her. She must have been really special to warm the heart of the Dragon King. She wondered how things between her and Zen would have been if his mother was still alive.

"Anyway," said Elise, changing the subject, "with Eterian soldiers wandering in this town, it's a matter of time they explore the woods and find this house."

Arisa gulped and glanced at Elise, her heart increasing its beat.

"Arisa and Kazuya will have to start their journey sooner than planned," continued Elise. "I'll send a letter to Dan. We shall receive his reply in a few days. If his reply is delayed, we should prepare ourselves in case Eterian soldiers find this house."

Everyone nodded at Elise. Arisa fidgeted on her dark pants, hoping that by the time those soldiers cross the woods, she would already be far away from Celestia.

"Those soldiers appeared at the wrong time," Arisa's grandfather complained, folding his arms. "Arisa has yet to master the Crimson Flame."

Arisa sighed, understanding her grandfather's disappointment. If her team found one of the Elements and she failed to release her power, everything would be in vain.

"Don't worry ol—"

"Kazuya," Elise warned.

Arisa looked by her side and saw the tall, white-haired boy teasing his mother with a smile. Arisa giggled.

"Sorry. Grandpa Jin." Kazuya cleared his throat. "During our journey, I'll do my best to force Arisa to summon that power. Leave that to me."

Arisa gulped as she noticed a threatening stare from him. After inheriting her powers, Kazuya has been tough with her during training and sparring. His threats were something to worry about.

"Besides," Kazuya continued, "we still have a few days to train with you."

"I'm sorry but you'll have to add an extra assignment in your training schedule," said Elise.

Everyone glanced at her with wonder.

"You already have mastered this Kazuya." Elise shifted her gaze from Kazuya to Arisa. "It's something that will help you walk around without any soldier noticing you."

Kazuya shifted from his seat a bit. "Ah, you're talking about the Rune of Disguise."

"Rune of Disguise?" Arisa gazed at Kazuya with widened eyes.

"Yes," Elise replied. "The Rune of Disguise will help you walk around Celestia with no worry. Once you activate it, the people around you will see you as another person. Though, if they see your reflection, they will see your real identity.

"Kazuya has used that spell many times to make sure you would be safe. Since we had to keep the fact that he was a Guardian a secret, it was best for him to disguise himself to follow you."

Arisa's chin dropped. She glanced by her side, only to see Kazuya winking at her.

"So that's why you always showed up in time to save me," she said, her voice amazed. "You've always been by my side."

Kazuya smiled. "If you looked carefully, maybe you would have recognized me."

"How would I, if you were disguised?" Arisa tilted her head.

"Maybe you could have asked yourself, how you always see this certain person wherever you go," Kazuya teased.

Arisa placed her hand on her chin, wondering how Kazuya's disguise was like.

"I thought I already knew all the runes," she said, changing the subject. "How come I never knew about this one?"

"Well," replied Elise, "that's because this is an ancient rune. It's not used anymore unless it's an emergency."

Arisa stared at Elise, her expression displaying curiosity.

"Despite this rune having great benefits in situations like ours," continued Elise, "it's risky to use. Besides the great challenge to unlock it, if you succeed, you have a limited time to disguise. It consumes your magical energy and stamina and if you use beyond your limit, it can put you in a coma."

Arisa gasped, her admiration for that rune disappearing.

"That doesn't sound welcoming," Arisa's grandmother complained, placing her hand on Arisa's. "Isn't there another way for them to travel through Celestia?"

Elise shook her head. "Unfortunately this is the only way if they want to leave Celestia without causing any trouble."

Arisa's grandmother sighed, tightening her grip on Arisa's hand.

"Don't worry, grandma Karin," said Kazuya, "we'll use the rune only when necessary. If we find an area with no Eterian, we will deactivate the spell."

Even though Arisa's grandmother smiled warmly, Arisa could see uneasiness in her expression. Arisa rubbed her grandmother's hand to comfort her.

"Then Kazuya will teach Arisa how to activate that rune." Elise's voice filled the few seconds of silence. "I'll be writing to Dan before helping out with dinner."

"May we know who this Dan is?" Arisa's grandfather asked.

"Oh, sorry," said Elise, realization brightening in her eyes. "Dan is a Researcher who used to travel around the worlds with my husband. You have met him before, right, Kazuya?"

Kazuya replied with a nod.

"Last time I spoke to him, he said he was planning to travel to London for an event that will be held there." Elise glanced at Arisa. "Earth is the closest world to travel from here. He will help the kids to reach London as that world is very big for them to wander by themselves."

"Kids?" Kazuya raised a brow. "Did you mean Arisa?"

Arisa shot him a glare. "We're six months apart. There isn't that much difference; you're still a kid."

She never understood why Kazuya and Zen made fun of her because she was the youngest of the trio. They were only months older than her; the difference being that Kazuya and Zen were born in a different year.

"The adults are talking, Arisa," said Kazuya, patting her dark head.

Arisa slapped his hand and glared at him. Kazuya smiled.

"Anyway, mother," said Kazuya, "I'm old enough to travel alone."

"I know," replied Elise. "But other worlds are not Celestia. Earth has many regions and Dan knows exactly how you can reach London. It's for you not to waste time getting lost."

"That's understandable," Arisa's grandfather said. "It will leave us at ease, knowing that a grown-up is traveling with you."

Kazuya gazed at him in silence. Arisa covered her mouth, trying not to laugh at her friend's reaction. There was something funny about her grandfather and Kazuya mocking each other because of their age.

As silence threatened to fall once again, Arisa's grandmother stood up. "Time sure flies. Dinner time will be here soon; we'd better prepare the meal before it's too late."

Arisa prepared to stand up, but stopped once she saw her grandmother signaling to remain seated.

"You're dismissed with helping us today, Arisa," she said. "You can use this time to practice with Kazuya."

"That's an excellent idea, Mrs. Sorano." Elise stood up. "I'll help you in the kitchen once I send the letter."

Arisa's grandmother nodded as she left the living room with her husband. As the area emptied, Arisa glanced at Kazuya with her heart pumping excitement as she wanted to see the rune.

"I'll be right back." Kazuya stood up and left the area.

--♐♑♓--

The soft cushions of the light brown sofa sunk as Kazuya made himself comfortable by Arisa's side. He had returned to the living room with a pen and a notebook.

"Before you fail countless times trying to activate the rune," said Kazuya, scribing on a blank page. "How about you practice drawing it first?"

Arisa didn't express any complaints with his provocation as she was focused on his drawing. After he finished writing the symbol, Kazuya displayed the picture with a proud smile forming across his face.

The symbol had a square shape and it looked as if it was formed with a mixture of three different symbols she knew. The many strokes she could see caused a slight headache as she wondered how many of them were used to draw it.

Arisa glanced back at Kazuya, her mouth agape.

"This rune means identity, according to studies," said Kazuya, closing her mouth. "The counterpart of this spell is disguise."

Kazuya scribed on his book again before he displayed his work to Arisa.

Arisa blinked twice and her chin dropped again. The symbol in front of her exposed several different strokes that it almost disfigured its shape.

"I'm sure I missed several strokes in it." Kazuya glanced at his notebook.

Arisa found her voice. "How many strokes are there?"

"Fifty-eight," he replied.

Arisa tried to say something, but nothing left her lips. She always knew that writing runes wasn't her strong point. She couldn't imagine herself drawing a spell with more than twenty strokes.

Kazuya laughed. "Don't worry. I'm sure you'll end up writing it well soon."

Arisa glanced at the other rune above the complicated looking one. She sighed, accepting defeat.

"With practice, you'll dominate this spell," said Kazuya, passing the pen and notebook.

Arisa grabbed the items and started to draw.

As half an hour passed, Arisa crossed with irritation another failed rune. She tried to write another one, only to fail again.

"Ugh," she complained. "I give up. This is too complicated."

"So you don't want to go on with our quest?"

"You know that I do," she replied. "But this is too complicated. Can't we travel with hoods covering us?"

"Sure," said Kazuya. "Then what will do if an Eterian soldier asks us to show our face? Will we run away confirming his suspicion? Or fight, calling more attention?"

Arisa glanced at him; she then looked away. He had a point. If they used the usual method to hide their identity, they would have many obstacles waiting for them.

Warm fingers curled on her left hand.

"Let's see if you can get better if I guide you," said Kazuya.

Before Arisa could reply, his hand guided her as they drew the rune. Her attention remained trapped at the movement of their hands.

As the symbol slowly took its shape, her heart sped, understanding the trick behind the drawing.

"I see," she said as they drew another part of the rune. "This symbol is composed of several different characters. I just have to focus on writing them before getting to the bigger picture."

"Spot on." Kazuya dropped her hand. "Since you figured out the trick, try writing it by yourself again."

"Okay," said Arisa.

The black ink formed a shape as she drew the rune with a little bit more confidence.

Several minutes passed as Arisa battled with her drawing skills. Her lips curved up as she realized that she was improving with each try.

"The strokes are still not that clear," said Kazuya as Arisa showed him the notebook. "But I'm sure you'll get better as you keep drawing."

Arisa exhaled, dropping the book on her lap. "I wonder what happens if you don't write this rune perfectly."

Arisa knew that every rune had a different reaction if they weren't drawn right. Since this particular spell changed the appearance of its user, she was curious if its consequences were dangerous for them.

Kazuya snatched the pen from her fingers. "I can show you what happens."

Her attention focused on him as he drew the rune on both of his hands.

"Alright," he said, placing his left hand close to his right.

A few seconds later, the rune of identity on his right hand glowed with a marine green color. One blink and the symbol shifted to a distorted disguise spell.

Kazuya's figure brightened. The light was so strong that Arisa closed her eyes for a second.

When she opened them, she saw a blurry figure sitting by her side. She leaned closer to have a better glance, but even with her approaching really close, she couldn't see him properly.

"You can't see me clearly, right?"

Arisa replied with a slow nod.

"This is what happens when the rune isn't written well," said Kazuya, deactivating the spell. "Although it doesn't cause any harm to the user—besides consuming their magical energy a little—it's better to perfect it to avoid suspicions and troubles."

Arisa exhaled. "What a complicated rune."

"Let's see if your mood will brighten once you see what happens when the rune is drawn well."

Arisa didn't say anything as she saw him drawing the spell again. It didn't take long for him to approach both of his hands and being bathed by a bright light.

Her eyes widened upon seeing the person sitting by her side. The white-haired boy with light brown eyes was substituted with a young man with chocolate brown hair and dark brown eyes.

A sudden realization hit Arisa. "I've seen you before."

As the young man smiled, Arisa remembered the many times she crossed paths with him. No matter where she went, she would see that young man either in the crowds or in random corners of the stores.

"Ah, so you're remembering now." Arisa recognized Kazuya's soothing voice.

Arisa blinked twice at him. She had always questioned how she would see this young man everywhere she went; she thought their encounter was too much to be a coincidence. Now she understood the reason. Kazuya was watching her to make sure she wouldn't get in trouble.

Despite her surprise with this reveal, her heart pumped amazement in her veins.

"I wonder how people will see me once I activate the rune," she said, grabbing the pen.

Kazuya smiled. "We'll find out soon."

Her lips formed a warm smile as she drew the rune in the book, hopeful that this time she would get it right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 23.1K 88
❃ BOOK II OF THE TRANSCENDENCE SERIES ❃ In the epic sequel to The Lost Valor of Love, worlds collide, and gods and mortals cross paths, kingdoms fall...
703K 25K 74
"𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙙 𝙤𝙛 𝙛𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙚𝙣 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙨 𝙛𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙨 𝙞𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙫𝙚𝙞𝙣𝙨, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙙 𝙤𝙛 𝙬𝙖𝙧, 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙙 𝙤𝙛...
1.3M 68.4K 63
*Book 2 in the Soulmates Series* After Malekh's startling revelation about the deal he'd made with Ashton, Elizabeth's blossoming relationship seems...
279 11 13
After seeing her brother meet his destiny, the young princess of Aeronia is set to find her own. When he finally returns, everything seems to be oka...