Morbid Bite

By AlyxMck

A dark retelling of Beauty and the Beast Annabelle Novacek has never much liked how people view her. She w... More

Morbid Bite
0 :: Carnage
I :: The Beast of Chartres
II :: The Nobleman
III :: The Return Home
IV :: The Harp
V :: Scream
VI :: The Beast with the Violin
VII :: Healing
VIII :: A Stolen Curse
IX :: Reality
X :: Love and Affection
XI :: A Darker Side
XIII :: The Devil's Monster
XIV :: The Hunt
XV :: A New Era

XII :: Switch

4.9K 298 36
By AlyxMck

▲▼▲▼

MORBID BITE

Chapter Twelve :: Switch

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

▲▼▲▼ 

Dusky, ominous clouds, like a deadly swarm of locusts, headed at an unnatural speed towards the village of Chartres. The grey tornado shaped rain mists fell down onto the ground, in heavy, unforgiving blasts. The heat that had clung to the morning air was gone and a cold heavy chill ran over the country side. Belle's stomach grumbled as she stared at the thunder clouds swarming above her. Pulling the cloak closer around her like an extra layer of skin, she sighs into her arm with relief as she notices the Lyon's mansion coming in to view. She did not relish the idea of wandering through the rain in her thin light dress. But as she drew closer to the empty, silent house, her sense of relief began to morph into a feeling of dread.

Her feet scraped against the small step that connected the outside with the wooden hall. Closing the door with as little noise as possible Belle made her way into the living quarters of Nicholas and his sister. She felt calmer than ever as she passed through the silent room that had enchanted her with its delight and antiquity. No lights glowed from the study and Belle did not imagine that a figure had been lurking in the doorway, watching her every move. As he stepped forwards and the dimming light from outside shone over his face, Belle took in a sudden intake of breath that made her cough into her shaking cold hands.

"Oh Nicholas," she said her nervous laugh tingling her throat, "you scared me."

He said nothing as he strode closer to her, a ghost like movement to his walk.

"You wanted time," he spoke with a directness that Belle had never expected from him. For a moment she had a double thought on the words she was about to say but realising she could not change her mind, she bowed her head and pulled her cloak as if to shield herself from the pain she was about to cause.

"I can't marry you Nicholas." The words stuck to her mouth like honey as she spoke but with a direct force that surprised even her. "I'm so sorry." She couldn't look at him, not after all he had done, all he had given her and everything she had taken form him. But as she glanced up at the man who had cared for her, a different face met her gaze.

Belle backed away, suddenly frightened by the expression Nicholas held. His soft gently eyes had been overcome by a dark soul that clouded around him in a threatening haze. His clenched stubble jaw that had made Belle think of a small fox terrier now reminded her of a snake; that's small mouth opened up to a chasm of razor-sharp teeth.

The storm rumbled around the house and a light pitter-patter of rain hit the roof with a jerk like tune adding to the already tense scene. The cloud of locusts was about to descend, and every insect seemed to have its sights set on the large dapper mansion that stood isolated from the village. Each drop seemingly wetter than before.

"Don't you dare walk away from me!" Nicholas's lips moved but his body stayed motionless. "I gave you everything and this is how you repay me you self-centred bitch." His words spat out of his mouth in an alcoholic rage that burst from his chest.

Belle stood in shock at the man she thought she had known. The caring hearted nobleman that had taken her in, had changed. Changed from all recognition, his hair stood up in greased locks and the stubble that had given him a handsome appearance was now but a mad man. He held out his hands and stormed towards her, grabbing her waist, an action she had not expected from him.

"If you won't marry me." He spat down onto Belle's face as she was stunned into silence. "I'll force your hand, so you have no choice."

Nicholas ran his hands over the thin fabric of Belle's skirt and then took a hold of her arms, dragging her up the stairs. Belle, suddenly aware his intentions, kicked him hard in the leg, trying to get free, but her attempts were useless, and her kicks seem to bounce off him like he was made of rock. She clawed at his arms and tried to twist out of his grasp, but his strength was not something she had anticipated. Changing her tactics, and rapidly running out of time, Belle dropped down onto the hard-wooden landing, feeling a sudden pain jolt up her bruised side.

"Nicholas please let me go!" She yelled, terror rising up from within her. She stared at his face, all the kindness, innocence and love seemed to have vanished and left him a sore, raw, hurt human being. Nicholas was lost, and she feared she could not drag him back up.

Sylvia careened into the hallway, her hair lose and half brushed as she was drawn to the commotion. Her bare face showed a true emotion of terror that Belle never thought Sylvia capable of possessing. The actions Nicholas's was showing had skewered his sisters' emotions towards him. The recognition between the two women gave Belle a burst of hope.

"Nicholas." Sylvia's voice an unbelievably high shriek. "What are you doing?!" She started toward her brother, however her eyes soon drifted to Belle. Sylvia dropped the imaginary uptight façade and noticing Belle's cut, bleeding lip, turned her face back to her brother with a fresh pain.

"Get out of my way Sylvia." Nicholas snapped his drunk brain unaware of his actions.

"I don't think so."

Sylvia knelt down to help Belle but was knocked back by the back of Nicholas's hand. She was sent sprawling to the floor, her head whipping back to hit hard on the stairwell banister. Sylvia's wide eyes looked up in terror at her brother: she had once heard about their father's temper, but never would she have guessed Nicholas had gained that trait. He stared down at his formerly beloved sister, beckoning her to try and defy him. But Sylvia felt the back of her head and her hand came away with a warm wet touch that lead to a dizzy black image forming behind her eyes.

Traumatized with how Nicholas's personality had changed Belle drew back hastily on the ground, her hair falling around her face in a broken halo. But before she could collect her mind Nicholas had grabbed hold of her again and was dragging her towards his bedroom.

"No!" she screamed, helplessness rising with in her.

She made a fist and slammed it into his face, but he didn't even flinch. She grabbed at the walls and dug her feet into the wood floor, but Nicholas was unfazed, he was able to ignore the screams as he pushed open his bedroom door and carried on wrenching Belle's fighting body. Throwing her onto his bed, he glared at her, an animal like expression thorn across his face.

"Help! Somebody help!"

To Nicholas's Belle's cries for help showed him a fragmented woman so his wall seemed to crumble just a little for Belle to catch him off guard. She brought up her legs and kicked out hard with her feet, catching him on the left jaw and making him stumble backwards from the force. This gave Belle enough time to pull herself off the bed and falter out of the room and then race down the stairs, trying to re-swallow the contents of her almost empty stomach. Belle realised as she stumbled through the hall way and out of the front door, that she had never once stopped and wondered about the consequences of Nicholas's obscenity. He had no family, no love since he was a young child and it had ruined him.

Belle fell back on the wet cobbles, her dress tugged from under her feet and her nose connecting hard with a large rock. She had lost her clock in the struggle and now part of her dress was held in Nicholas's clenched fist his monstrous eyes pinned on Belle's body. He had not stayed out long, and his intentions hadn't been knocked from his mind. She spun around, making it possible for her to see him but her nose throbbed, and the rain blurred her vision.

Nicholas had not taken another step forward before a crash erupted from the ground behind him and like a roar a man headed towards Nicholas: who's eyes were on no one but Belle. Raoul rammed into his brother, shoving him hard onto the ground. His eyes rolled into the back of his head as Raoul punched him hard in the face. He only had to hit him once and Nicholas was out. Raoul, not wanting to harm him anymore, pulled himself away and lumbered over to Belle. She did not know why he had been there or if had had come to the sound of her screams but part of her felt a longing relief that stuck to her body with pure easy.

"You okay?" His voice seemed distant in her ringing ears, but she managed a shaky smile and nodded in response not trusting her voice.

He did not reach to help her and instead leaned down to move Nicholas under the cover of the house, carefully resting his head on the ground. He whipped away the blood from his broken nose with the corner of his sleeve, a sense of guilt for knocking out his little brother. Belle watched as he ran inside nearly as fast as he had appeared. She wondered what he was doing as she walked through the pounding rain trying to see a small spot of shelter. She went over to rest against the stable wall where the roof hung over the side. She did not trust herself with her weight, but she felt humiliated and she did not want to show anymore weakness.

Raoul appeared from the house and a sudden sense of stress flashed over his face however it vanished when he saw Belle leaning against the stone wall.

"How's Sylvia?" Belle asked, realising it was most likely his reason for his disappearance into the house.

"Fine." He answered in his usual one-word fashion but then finding it necessary to continue he elaborated. "She had passed out, so I moved her to one of the bedrooms."

"Oh," was the only thing Belle could say.

Belle felt a wave of sickness and a shiver ran down her back making her body shake violently. Raoul placed a hand on her shoulder and pulled her into an embrace.

"You just had a shock. Don't get cold," his voice was gentle, and Belle pressed her throbbing face into his warm damp chest.

"Thank you," she murmured into the folds of fabric.

Raoul made no sign of having heard her, but he held her tighter and rested his mouth and nose on the top of her head. Belle clenched her eyes tight, to push away the events that had just passed, Nicholas had tried to rape her. She pushed harder into Raoul's chest and forced down the hiccups that warned of tears. Belle turned her face just enough to see Nicholas's legs and shuddered not wanting to be here when he regained consciousness.

Careful not to startle her, Raoul put his arms under Belle's legs and picked her up with ease, holding her just like Nicholas's had when he had found her lying helpless on the road. Wanting to protest Belle felt her voice was void, she had not the effort to complain. The switch of character that had happened to Nicholas was chilling because she could not decide which one of the brothers was truly...the beast.

The red curves of the flames flicked violently in font of Belle's eyes. They burnt out in an orange burst and then a new twist would replace it like the other had never excited. The crackle of the burning wood filled Belle's ears as she concentrated on the warm fire. A mug of some sweat cocktail held tightly in her still shaking hands. From time to time she would bring the rough cup up to her grazed lip: the liquid would sting the wound as she drank.

Raoul sat on his bed the violin sat in his lap. His eyes never leaving Belle's distant face. He ran his fingers over the strings and thought about the hell he had brought her since they had met. How could Belle forgive him for what his family had brought upon her? Death, pain and violence. He placed the instrument down by his side and pushed himself up. Chewing a small leaf, he silently ambled towards her, not wanting to startle her. He grabbed a blanket and placed it over her shoulders, worrying that she still shivered.

"Belle?" He placed a hand on her arm. "Are you alright?"

"I'm so mild, so weak. I thought I'd become strong," she whispered the words into the flames - as if in a public prayer. "But right now, I'm not. I feel like my faith," she stopped as if part of her was conflicted, "in myself...is slipping away from me."

Belle turned her face and Raoul got a glimpse of a black bruise forming over her eye. He tenderly placed a hand on her head and gently stocked his thumb over the blue mark. In that touch he said so much, how she was the strongest woman he had met, how her fierce temper made him laugh and that part of him would die if she ever left. But he said nothing, to him the touch was enough, and Belle rubbed her forehead into his hand. She breathed in deeply and closed her eyes enjoying his warm touch.

A flash of white light lit up the small room, but the lightning did not startle Belle. Only the thunder that followed for it rumbled the ground below her feet giving her a troubled feeling. The rain thunder down onto the small house and a small bucket sat in the corner collecting water that hammered through the thatched roof.

Even through the smell of damp there was an aroma of smoke that hung in the air. The storm was so loud that only it could be heard raging above them in a great battle. But amongst nature's tempest there was a foreign sound, clicking metal, silent shouts and the smell of anger mixed with human sweat. It was like a battle also raged below.

Raoul took his hand back from Belle and put a finger to his lips, warning her to be silent. His attention had shifted to the jagged gulps he could hear from the other side of the door. Treading noiselessly towards the front door, he heard a loud breath just outside but was too late to jump aside before a man's axe came down through the weak wooden door removing most of the protection it had held. The axe was brought back out and for a second time it slammed into the house, but this time followed by two men - swords outstretched. Raoul did not waver, his jaw set tight and a look of determination in his eyes. He knocked the sword from the first man's clumsy grip but the aslants carried on coming, tackling him to the floor with unnecessary force. A burst of yells and shouts erupted from the rain and more men came in with ropes and blades held tightly in their clenched hands. Belle watched on in horror as Raul tried to ward them off with as little much damage to their bodies as possible. 

▼▲▼▲

I was scared about posting this chapter – hence the long wait – sorry about that.

I can't say this is the happiest I have been with a chapter...it's unedited and I fear a tad patchy but I do hope you liked it!! It propels the story forwards quite a lot and hopefully has some good action parts.

Please, please comment with any feedback or changes it may need.

Thank you

Alyx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 9.1K 52
[FREE STORY with exclusive chapters] Tragedy has struck the kingdom of Iride. The crown prince has disappeared and rumors claim pirates have taken hi...
1.8K 301 20
A Loose Retelling of Beauty and the Beast A BEAUTIFUL WITCH. Bookish Myalah, the town beauty as well as its only living witch, has always wanted a wa...
34.7K 1.8K 21
A monster child. That was what they all called Forsythia. It was just because she was found in the woods at age ten with no memories. She had a traum...
131K 5.1K 19
***FREE STORY***Antoine, his daughters Marthe, Marie and Beauty must leave fashionable Paris for rural Avon, in the shadow of enchanted forêt de Font...