The Vow (Lady Quill Chronicle...

By DD_Chant

Dear Reader, My next story begins with Velrek, where Lord Rafe and Lady Adele's arrival was cause for much ce... More

The Vow (Lady Quill Chronicles, #2)
The Vow (Chapter One)
The Vow (Chapter Two)
The Vow (Chapter Three)
The Vow (Chapter Four)
The Vow (Chapter Six)
The Vow (Chapter Seven)
The Vow (Chapter Eight)
The Vow (Chapter Nine)
The Vow (Chapter Ten)

The Vow (Chapter Five)

35 3 0
By DD_Chant

Chapter Five

The noise in the great hall was deafening, laugher carried across the smoky air to where Finan sat at the head table. He would have much preferred a seat with his men at one of the lower tables, however he had learnt long ago that there were some battles it was best not to begin. To be more precise, any argument in which Lady Ebba would have a part.

With a slight smile he remembered his arrival at Valrek as a child. Powerful and landed though his family were, he was a fifth son and there had been little left for him. Old Lord Gournay had known that his youngest sons would need to make their own way in the world, and that marriage to an heiress was a preferred method.

Finan shook his head, he had always known his sire to be a wily old fox but could not help feeling that in placing him here, with the obvious intent to align him with one of the daughters of Valrek, he had overreached himself. Lady Esme and Lady Aisly were extremely rich women in their own right, their dower lands alone enough to inspire the most salacious of greed.

However even Finan could see that, added to that incentive, was the fact that both women were well looking. Indeed, Lady Aisly was held to be the most beautiful woman in all of Wessex.

His father had been mistaken if he supposed his unimportant fifth son would be an attractive marriage partner for either young lady. Besides that Finan had no wish to marry, whether it be a daughter of Valrek or one of the serving wenches.

He was happy with his life, his position gave him purpose and he knew that he more than paid his keep. No army in the whole of King Ine's realm was as well trained as Valrek's. Rafe might inspire the men to unthought-of heroics, but it was Finan that kept them steady, who imparted to them the stoic calmness to carry on.

He needed no more than he had. Although his father had not been pleased to see his son waste a golden opportunity to form a great alliance, Lord Gournay had not pushed him to do his will.

Instead he had sent Evoric.

Some of Finan's enjoyment faded as he thought of his long dead brother. Tonight was a happy night, a night when the House of Valrek finally put the horror of Calis behind them. It was a celebration of Rafe and Adele's forthcoming nuptials and Finan would not ruin it with thoughts of the past.

Beside him Lady Adele and Rafe had their heads bent together, Rafe was laughing with customary freeness and Adele looked as serene as ever.

Lord Brogan and Lady Ebba sat beyond them at the centre of the table, and further along Esme and Aisly laughed merrily together. Finan experienced a strange sensation of loneliness, of having no part and no place at this gathering. It was a surprising feeling, one that he had never before felt in the twenty six years he had sat at the head table.

Lord Brogan had taken his responsibility to the boys fostered with him very seriously. The day that Finan had arrived at Valrek and taken his oath of fealty, Lord Brogan had impressed one fact upon his mind with searing clarity. Finan, in taking his oath, had become a son to him, a child of Valrek.

That day Finan had gained a second family, a second home, a place and a purpose. He had been treated just as Rafe had been. Together they had shared a room, lessons, meals with the family and, on many occasions, the rod of discipline. Finan had felt more at home in Valrek than he had with his own family and more of a brother to Rafe than to his blood brothers, excepting Evoric. To suddenly feel an interloper was confusing and unwelcome.

He glanced around the room again. Further down the hall a few of the younger soldiers were holding their fellow trapped against the table and pouring the contents of a tankard down his throat. Finan smiled a little in reminiscence. Once that had been him, Rafe, Evoric, Rand and Leofric.

His smile widened.

Rand had always said that he felt as if he were drowning, but then Rand had never had a head for alcohol. It had been a long running jest that Leofric, slight of form and small of stature, could drink the most. Evoric had sworn that it was some sort of witchcraft on Leofric's part, or that he was storing the mead in hollow legs.

Perhaps that was the reason for his melancholy. Maybe he was but missing Fricka's company now he was gone. Finan owned that there was something very comforting about Leofric's unending cheerfulness. He knew that had Leofric been present the awkward feeling of everything having changed would not be so strong.

Leofric would have taken much delight in making sport at Rafe's expense and would have claimed the attention of all with stories from their youth. Stories that carried so much embellishment as to make their heroic theme laughable. Leofric would have offered him some sense of familiarity in a suddenly off kilter world.

"You are very quiet tonight, Finan."

Lady Adele's voice broke upon his thoughts and he turned to find that Rafe was now in deep conversation with his father.

"It occurs to me that you are always very quiet and restful, are you not?"

She continued to gaze at him, her eyebrows slightly raised as if expecting some response. Finan was slightly irritated by the need to form some sort of answer. In the end he merely nodded and speared a well roasted piece of meat on the end of his dagger.

"Might I ask a favour of you, Finan?"

He just managed to stifle the groan that rose to his lips, he had no desire to dance to any of Adele's whims. In the short while he had known her, Finan had discovered that Lady Adele displayed, in general, a prosaic good sense unusual in womankind. Still, Finan had no wish to jump at her command, nor to have his well-ordered and peaceful existence disrupted by her requests for aid.

However, looking down at her, Finan couldn't quite manage to give voice to the words that would rid her of the idea that she could come to him for any other help than the sort his sword could provide. Adele's large blue eyes, filled with gentle wonder, pleaded softly with him. As much as he would have preferred it otherwise, he couldn't deny that he was affected by the gaze that rested upon him so sweetly.

Adele's eyes assured him that there was no other man in the whole of Wessex that could lend her the favour she desired. His innate chivalry, so carefully stamped down and ignored for so long, rose to her prompting.

"How may I be of service to you, my lady?"

Her expression flooded with relief and thankfulness and Finan was disgusted to find himself gratified by her obvious delight.

"'tis a very little thing, Finan, I must own that I am a little nervous of Lord Rafe's sisters."

"Lady Esme and Lady Aisly?" Finan's eyebrows rose and he glanced across to where the two women sat.

Aisly was delicately picking over her food with a slender blade, finely inlaid with gold and ornamented heavily with sapphires. Esme had finished eating and had both elbows on the table, her face cupped in her hands as she listened to her sister speaking.

"Why should you be nervous of them?"

"Perhaps nervous was too strong a word," conceded Adele, wrinkling her brow thoughtfully. "I know so little about them and it makes conversation somewhat... difficult."

She paused and Finan waited patiently for some clue as to the 'favour' she was to ask of him.

"I wondered if you might help."

"You have yet to tell me what you need help with, my lady."

"With Lady Esme and Lady Aisly."

Finan turned a blank expression upon her.

"I do not see how I can possibly be of help to you with that."

"I wish you to tell me about them."

Finan continued to look at her, confusion suffusing his features.

"Their likes and dislikes for instance?" prompted Adele.

Finan shook his head.

"What do I know of that?"

For the first time a slightly uncertain light entered Adele's eyes.

"But... I understood you grew up here?"

"I did, my lady, Valrek has been my home since my fifth year."

Although Finan could not discern what that fact had to do with the matter at hand. Lady Adele seemed at a loss and turned to look down at the wooden trencher before her, a sightless frown drawing her brows together.

"Finan, you once told me that Rafe was as a brother to you."

"I did."

"And are Lady Ebba and Lord Brogan as your family as well?"

"For a certainty."

"Then are not Lady Esme and Lady Aisly as sisters to you?"

"I have no sisters of my own to compare them with. You may be assured of one thing, that I will protect them from danger and harm with the same zeal that Rafe would feel himself."

"I see."

Adele nodded in understanding and Finan returned to the consumption of his evening meal. He was even more certain than ever that women were queer folk. He shook his head over Adele's strange questions and promptly set them from his mind. It came as a surprise when Adele turned to address him, as though their conversation had not ended.

"You see Rafe's sisters as something to protect, but you do not really know them?"

If there was a question to her words, Finan could not make it out. Adele seemed to realise that he had not understood her and spoke again.

"You can tell me nothing of either lady?"

He was about to confirm her words, thankful that she had at last grasped his meaning and now perhaps would leave him in peace. Yet it occurred to him that they were not precisely true. Although he had little to do with either lady, there were a great many small details he knew of them.

"Lady Esme likes to hunt."

"She does?"

"She is most accomplished at the task, all you see before you was provided by her hunting party."

"She must be very skilled, what is her weapon of choice?"

"A bow..." Finan broke off, dipping his head. "Evoric introduced her to the weapon."

Adele paused and watched the carefully neutral set of his face, an inflection of guilt creeping into her features.

Evoric had died fighting to protect her family, to protect her. Whenever she had thought of his death in the past it had been with regard to Rafe; how hurt he had been and the damage inflicted on his soul.

It had never occurred to her to think of Finan.

Evoric had been his younger brother after all. Adele could not even begin to comprehend his grief and felt that surely he must place the blame at her family's door?

"I am sorry, Finan. If it had not been for my family's quarrel you would not have needed to endure such loss. Allow me please to ask for forgiveness on behalf of my father and brothers."

All expression leached from Finan's features and Adele had the strangest feeling that, in that moment, he hated her.

"I did not ask for your apology, my lady."

"No, I offered it freely, now I see my mistake. I should never have asked for your

forgiveness, it was thoughtless of me. As Rafe's wife it is not permitted that you refuse me, is it? I am sorry for placing you into such an impossible position."

Some of the stiffness left his body and he nodded briefly in recognition of her words. The cheerful murmur of conversation in the hall muted suddenly and Adele turned to see Aisly standing and gesturing for silence.

"You promised us a story, Brother dear. I am sure all present are eager to hear of your adventures!"

A cheer rippled around the great hall and Aisly lifted one elegant hand to signal quiet. She waited until her low, husky voice could be heard without the need to raise it, before speaking again.

"I have a great desire to hear the story of Lady Adele's journey from the place of refuge." She turned to the crowd. "Would not you?"

Encouraging shouts filled the room and Rafe laughed.

"I promised you a tale of unparalleled adventure, did I not, Aisly?"

"One that exceeded my wildest imaginings," confirmed his sister. "Could it be that you now regret such boastfulness?"

"Not at all! Today I will tell a story that will challenge your position as the most accomplished story teller in Valrek."

Aisly raised a haughty eyebrow and seated herself back on the bench, carefully arranging her skirts about her and exchanging a knowing look with her sister.

"Speak, Brother, I am most keen to hear your grand tale."

And so Rafe began.

Adele watched as he detailed his arrival at the fort and their first long ride. His face flushed with excitement as he told of the attack to their camp and how they fled into the covering darkness of the forest to escape.

Gasps rose as he told of Adele shooting an arrow blindly into the darkness, in an attempt to protect herself and Eda from attack. She blushed rosily at this point in the telling, aware that the eyes of all were on her. Rafe managed to give the account a humorous edge, but Adele could still feel the horror and fear that had held her so firmly in its grip that night.

The story moved on to Rafe's meeting with Daegmund of Gradock and the people present booed and hissed the Gradock name. Rafe told of Daegmund's strange bargain and his journey on foot across Gradock lands.

Adele lent her elbow on the table and rested her chin in her hand. It was pleasant to study the ever changing expressions on Rafe's face as he spoke. His enthusiasm and excitement communicated itself to his audience and they became as unrestrainedly exuberant as Rafe was himself.

For the first time Adele understood what Finan and Leofric had meant when they told her that Rafe's men would have followed him in to hell. It was plain that his people loved and trusted him. He had the ability to lift others to greatness.

When Rafe told of the sword fight that lead to his capture on Gradock lands, he sprang from the bench, jewelled dagger in hand, and fought off imaginary foes. The hall erupted in to a roar of appreciation and Adele laughed so hard at his antics that she was obliged to wrap her arms around her stomach in an effort to stop it aching.

Often the ladies of the fort had told stories around the fire at night. However Adele could not remember them ever being as rowdy as the great hall that night.

The story moved on and Rafe told of finally coming face to face with his pursuers. He paused dramatically before voicing Rand of Targhe and an uneasy mummer rippled through the crowd. Adele chanced to catch sight of Esme and saw the young woman blanch, her large, brown eyes suddenly appearing huge in her face.

Adele remembered how Rafe had told her that Rand had been betrothed to Esme, before the battle of Calis. A secondary and most unwelcome thought occurred to her. Lady Esme had not married; was it possible that she had waited for Rand?

An unpleasant sensation of dread settled in her stomach. How would she react to the news that Rand was wed? What if she still held a hope that she would one day be Rand's bride? The idea was too horrible to contemplate.

Rafe's voice continued, detailing Lord Merrodon's treachery and Finan's wounding and subsequent illness. Gasps of sympathy filled the air and Adele felt the bench flex as Finan shifted, uncomfortable with the attention he was receiving.

His discomfort passed a moment later as Rafe's story flowed on and he was forgotten. Rafe told of his dealings with Daegmund of Gradock at Merrodon, and of how Lord Merrodon was pressured into revealing Lord Kyule as the true villain of the story.

Thunderous applause rang out as Rafe's narrative came to an end. He was flushed and his voice slightly hoarse, but Adele could see how much he'd enjoyed himself. His pleasure was shared by his audience and a cry rang out from one of the lower tables.

"Why did Lord Kyule wish to do you harm, Master Rafe?"

"It was that he coveted that which belongs to me."

"Your wealth, Master Rafe?"

"Your lands?" shouted another voice.

"Your victories in battle?" yelled a third.

Rafe grinned.

"No, his envy was for something far more precious!" He leant forward and captured Adele's hand in his own, pulling her to her feet. "His envy was for my bride and to be honest, I understand his greed!"

A fiery blush stained Adele's cheeks at his words.

"My lord is too kind."

"I am pleased you are aware of it, my lady."

His voice was pitched low, a murmur that only she could hear and Adele's heart began to hammer harder. His mischievous expression told her that some shocking idea had occurred to him. Adele could not wait to find out what he would do next.

"The brave warriors of Valrek soon showed that traitor, that which belongs to Valrek will not be taken by another!" Rafe slipped his harm around Adele's waist and drew her closer. "And that which belongs to me I share with no man!"

The noise from the hall was so loud Adele's ears rang. Rafe's face, filled with wicked amusement bent toward her.

"We must play for the crowd, my lady."

"I thought you had already done so, my lord."

Rafe's eyes twinkled.

"I think my people need a display of your loyalty to me."

Adele's large wondering eyes continued to regard him with the sweetest of innocence.

"Of course you do."

Rafe pretended to think.

"I believe a show of affection might be best."

"Naturally you would. Shall I allow you to press my hand fondly?"

"Alas, I fear those at the back would not see such an action. T'will need to be a kiss."

"I suppose if it cannot be avoided... very well, my lord, I will allow you the liberty of kissing my hand, just as you requested."

"But surely, my lady, that would only signal my loyalty to you?"

Firmly outmanoeuvred, Adele struggled to find the answer that would prolong this battle of theirs. There was something infinitely thrilling about engaging in verbal skirmish with Rafe. Her pulse quickened and her senses heightened, until she felt every sensation with a clarity she had never before experienced. The heat from the fire made her skin prickle and the encouraging roar of those present hummed against her skin.

"Then you wish me to kiss your hand, my lord?"

Rafe drew her a little nearer.

"I confess I had something else in mind."

"Really, my lord? I cannot think what you mean."

Rafe seemed to lose patience with their word play and with a swift jerk of his arms pulled her closer. Bending his head, he set his lips to hers.

Above the wild thump of her heart Adele heard the noisy approval of the crowd. After a moment or two she made to pull away, but Rafe's hand slowly slid up her back, leaving a trail of goose flesh in its wake and gently cupped her neck. For a second longer she thought of those watching and then Rafe's fingers began to play with the loose strands of hair at her nape.

Her mind obligingly blotted out her surroundings and she was only aware of Rafe's closeness and the warmth that he radiated.

It was a shock when he pulled away and it took Adele a few moments to regain some sense of equilibrium. She was glad to find that she was not the only one in difficulty, Rafe's expression held a dazed and slightly wary quality. He stared down at her as though she was some dangerous and unpredictable commodity that he had never come across before.

"Forgot."

The single word was raspy and Rafe frowned, eyeing her again.

"No, actually, now I think of it; I do not think I ever knew!"

"My lord?"

"Never play with fire." Rafe slowly eased her away from him, continuing to gaze at her from cautious eyes. "You, my lady, are fire in human form."

"If I might remind you, t'was you who violated the rules of engagement and used superior strength to win the battle."

"And if I might remind you, t'was not as though you put up that much of a fight, my lady."

Adele chose to ignore the truth of his statement and returned to her place on the bench with every semblance of calmness.

Rafe frowned again. His heart was beating hard, almost as if Leofric had been testing his mettle with the sword. It had taken more effort than he cared to admit to release her. If Lord Brogan hadn't tugged discreetly on his tunic, recalling him to his senses, he would even now be kissing Adele and making a fool of himself in front of his men. His father's voice broke in on his thoughts.

"It was indeed a most interesting tale, was it not, Aisly?"

Lady Aisly's clever blue eyes surveyed her brother with languid amusement and Rafe felt himself turn ruddy with embarrassment.

"A very fine tale, but so poorly told! I am sure that there is much Rafe neglected to acquaint us with. I should have told it much better, I think."

Rafe chose to ignore the taunt and the suggestion that he had been selective in his retelling.

"Perhaps we might appeal to Lady Adele for her side of the story?" continued Aisly, an imp of mischief lighting her eyes.

Rafe stared at his sister in open horror and glanced to Finan for aid. His friend only shook his head in sympathy. Poor Rafe was unlikely to survive his betrothal and marriage with his manly pride intact. Lady Aisly and Lady Esme would not quit until they had gleaned every embarrassing detail.

Finan grinned at his friend and shrugged his huge shoulders. If Rafe had not behaved like a besotted boy, then he would not have to endure such teasing now.

The more he thought on it, the more he could see that Rafe deserved every taunt. With that in mind, Finan raised his goblet of mead to his friend in silent toast and, for the first time in all the years that he had guarded him, left Rafe to face the battle alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.8K 2.9K 44
When you've been hurt, it's difficult to learn to love again. When you've felt pain, it's not so easy to be joyful. When your heart has been broken...
3.2M 154K 40
Just when she's decided to leave the Town, Lady Cressida Belverst is forced to marry Lord Calan Haverston, the man who coincidentally knows a way out...
1.3M 60.2K 41
It all began with a promise While his good friend lay in his arms dying, the last words that came from his lips were "Please find Brienna and take c...
15K 248 49
Although Allísa grew up in a Hobbit home but she wasn't a hobbit, in fact she was an elf. A royal elf for that matter. Though Allísa lived with Bilbo...