The Vow (Chapter Three)

Chapter Three

Finan carefully removed Brute's halter and eased it over the horses head. His side still ached but he was determined to push through the pain, it was all too easy to relax and lose stamina. The food he had consumed had given him a pleasant feeling of well being and he experienced, for perhaps the first time since leaving Valrek, the sensation of safety. Here within the protection of Valreks defences he could believe that there was nothing to threaten Rafe or Lady Adele.

Gently he went about making Brute comfortable, taking his time and deriving enjoyment from his work. He whistled softly, a light, cheerful tune that always seemed to calm his spirited horse.

"How did you receive you wound?"

The voice startled him and he turned swiftly, jarring his injured side.

"Lady Esme."

She moved away from the rough wooden fence and Finan frowned at her approach. It galled him that he hadn't heard her. Lady Esme was a very fine hunter and moved with assured, silent grace, it made it almost impossible to hear her advance.

Esme produced an apple from behind her back and Brute whinnied softly, nudging her arm. The horse was generally considered to be a mean spirited mount, only allowing a few people within touching distance. For some reason that Finan neither understood nor liked, Brute had a fondness for lady Esme. He had an uncomfortable suspicion that the horse might actually allow her to ride him.

"You will not tell me, Finan?"

"Pardon me, my lady, I do not recall the question."

Esme ran her fingers over Brute's chestnut coat and the horse pressed into her hand.

"You are hurt, I asked how it happened. Rafe did not tell me, if that is what you were wondering."

"Then how did you know?"

"Your movements are forced and you ate with your left hand instead of your right. I am not here to plague you over it, I merely wondered if you needed aught to make you more comfortable?"

"I am fine, my lady."

"As though you would tell me if you were ailing," muttered Esme.

"Lady Adele replaced the bandage this morning and assured me that all was well."

Esme spun to face him, her dark eyes fixing on him sharply.

"Lady Adele?"

The incredulous note in her voice was not lost on Finan.

"She is a gifted healer."

Esme seemed to have trouble swallowing and turned back to Brute, stroking a finger down the white blaze leading from his forehead to his nose.

"Indeed, she must be."

Finan grimaced. He knew Lady Esme resembled her brother in many things, their temperaments being very similar. He might have had less to do with his foster sisters than another, more social man, but he understood her well enough to know that just as silence portended ill in Rafe, the same was true of Lady Esme.

"Were you badly hurt?"

"No, my lady."

Esme grinned.

"As though I could believe that!"

"My lady?"

"You hate to be fussed over, Finan. Never once have you allowed me to treat your wounds or offer any help. It seems to me that you must have been completely out of your senses for Lady Adele to have had the chance to get near you. You are an extremely unpleasant patient."