Captain of the Guard. Legend...

By monkeybreath

Once upon a time in a Kingdom far away, lived Arthur; an Omega with a secret. His wolf was a girl. Because of... More

1. Intro
2. Welcome home
3. Meeting the enemy
4. Duality
5. Making due
6. Powerless
7. Casper has a booty call
8. The cat...eh...wolf is out of the bag.
9. Defiance
10. Say what?
11. Impossible answers
12. 'Damn Casper and his stupid chivalry!!!!'
13. Doubts
14. A costly mistake
15. Shit just got real.
16. Unleashing Hell.
17. A meeting in the woods.
18. A happy reunion
19. Origins
20. Taking a gamble.
21. Mated.
22. Stand by your man
23. Between a rock and a hard place.
24. Darren.
25. Afternoon tea.
26. The truth will set you free.
27. A Sticky Wicket.
28. Search and Rescue
29. A parting gift
31. Surprise
32. Another meeting in the woods
33. Drawing blood.
34. I do.
35. One, Two, Three.
36. Heaven and Hell

30. The price of love

2.3K 157 13
By monkeybreath

^ King Dimitri

Two months later everything finally seemed to come together. Princess Arianna was married off to the third Prince of Kildare and took with her the substantial dowry initially intended for King Dimitri. During their own negotiations King Dimitri assured Prince Rafael that he didn't need anything to 'sweeten the deal'. So after consulting with his future father-in-law Prince Rafael declined a dowry and requested his mother's freedom instead. Trying to save face after the awful things he said about his son, King Armando agreed and offered her a small estate with an annual income. All parties agreed, leaving only a wedding to make things official.

Art was settling into his new life as a mated werewolf and found comfort in the knowledge that Wren accepted his shifting between dominance and submission. He knew that a lot of the romantic feelings he had were heavily influenced by Charlotte's love for Casper, but he couldn't deny that his submission in the bedroom was of his own free will. Feeling Wren pin him down didn't make him feel week or oppressed anymore. Now that he had embraced his role he felt empowered by it.

Wren had felt happy and content in the development of his matingbond with Art, but there was still something they hadn't talked about. Now that he could no longer hide behind the crisis around Prince Alexi, the time had come to face his own demons.

"He, Ben", he greeted the trainer looking around the stables. "I'm here to pick up Art. I already searched the fields, but couldn't find him. Is he here?"

"No", the old man shook his head. "He wasn't feeling well so I send him home." He looked over his shoulder. "Finally time to have 'the talk'?" he asked with a grim expression on his weather worn face.

Wren sighed and nodded. Ben grabbed his hand.

"It's that snake Vincent. You know that he loves to spews out nonsense stories about the war so people buy him beer. All that trash talk about how you are responsible for Balthazar's death is total bull shit and you know it. Do you really think that Art would have accepted you as a mate if he thought you killed his father?"

Wren shrugged his shoulders.

"That doesn't mean I'm innocent. He should know the truth and make up his own mind."

Ben stared at the determined expression on the younger mans face. "Good luck."

Walking back home Wren thought of the best way to tell the events of that night.

"I'll help you", Casper said.

Wren snorted. "Isn't there supposed to be a 'I'm sure he'll understand' in that sentence?"

"Hell no", Casper retorted. "You know he's the type who won't take anything lying down. At least we know who'll he run to when things get too much."

"Yeah, maybe we should include Prince Alexi directly and safe ourselves the trip", Wren said wryly. It's not that he was jealous of the relationship between the boys. Actually because of that he had spent a fair amount of time with Prince Rafael and found that they shared many interests. He just hoped that Art would turn to him when he felt troubled or in doubt.

Despite not feeling well, Art still prepared dinner and Wren felt proud to see his mate fulfill his duties. After greeting him with a kiss he smiled at Art.

"Ben told me you were off early today. I hope it's not something serious?"

Art shook his head. "I was just a little tired. I feel fine now. Take a seat while I serve dinner."

Wren was pleased to find his mate in good spirits and listened to him rattle on. Feeling his determination slip, Casper stepped in and send a heads up to Charlotte. It was too clear and sudden for her to block this from Art, so with the echo still in his mind he stood so abruptly from his chair that it fell down.

"You're what?" All the color drained from his cheeks, staring at Wren as if he had seen the devil himself. He closed his eyes for a second as if replaying the message before they flew open again with a look of utter disbelieve. "Feeling guilty for your involvement in my father's death? What the fuck is that supposed to mean, Wren?"

Charlotte felt the mood shift in Art and froze. Oh, no! Before she could react he had put up a block.

"Casper", she cried out. "Please proceed with extreme caution."

Art wasn't the only one that froze. For some reason all the words that Wren wanted to say to his beloved mate weren't good enough. Couldn't explain enough why his father was taken away from him. All he could do was stare back with shame and guilt written all over his face.

It was more than understandable that Art cursed him out before storming out of the house.

Art couldn't even attempt to name his emotions at this moment. Alexi had put him in a warm bath, but he still felt as icy as he did when he arrived.

"Do you know what happened?" Aeyel asked his mate who seemed concerned for the wellbeing of his friend. And in all fairness, Art looked like crap.

"No, he hasn't said anything, but I can tell it's bad." He stood on his tiptoes and kissed Aeyel. "Maybe you should give us some privacy."

"Please stay", they heard behind them. "Perhaps Prince Rafael has the answers that I need."

Alexi took Art by the arm and lead him to a seating area where the all sat down.

"Tell me how I can help", Aeyel offered.

Art breathed in and tried to focus his jumbled thoughts. "I hear that you fought in the war and served under the same General as my father. I thought that maybe you could tell me if the rumors around town about the way he died are true?"

It was clear to see that the request came as a surprise to the Prince. "Well I certainly hope you don't believe that nonsense the local drunkard is spewing? Yes I have heard all about how he is tarnishing the good name of Wren. But what really surprises me is that you haven't talked to Wren about it. Your father died a hero, Art. Wren owes him his life."

Art just stared at him. The rage had left his body along with the adrenaline. He felt totally exhausted.

"So Vincent..."

"Is a big, fat liar, just like I always told you", Charlotte said giving him a mental hug.

Art relaxed a little and looked expectantly at Prince Rafael.

"I wasn't there so I might be light on the details, but this is what I heard", Aeyel warned him.

Art nodded. "I understand. Please continue."

"Times were chaotic. The death of the two Princes hit us all very hard and the soldiers of Doran took advantage of our weakened state. Instead of full out battles they changed their tactics to small coordinated attacks on our weapons and supplies. Captain Balthazar and his men protected one of the last remaining convoys to resupply and feed our men. The soldiers of Doran tried everything to stop the convoy because they delivered more than weapons and food. They spread the hope and believe that we could still win this war. Doran made it a priority to destroy that convoy and all it stood for." Aeyel looked at Art. "The battle were your father lost his life proofed to be a turning point in the war. Word was that he sacrificed his life for a Lieutenant that was about to be killed. His noble deed ignited a fire in all of us and pushed us beyond the grief and sorrow. Six month later we had won the war."

Art stared into the distance while Alexi hit his mate on the arm. "You weren't kidding about being light on the details. We still know nothing."

"It's not his fault, Alexi", said Art with a cracked voice. "I'm asking the wrong man."  He stood from his seat. "I'm going home."

Art didn't know what to expect when he got home, but finding Wren meditating in the courtyard certainly wasn't on his short list. Seeing the peaceful expression on his face fueled his anger.

"Don't be fooled by his face", Charlotte said. "Can't you sense the turmoil underneath?"

Art ignored her and barked out: "I want answers!"

Wren opened his eyes, raised himself from the ground and looked at Art. "So would I", he replied.

Art was taken aback by this response and frowned. "Start talking."

"Our convoy was under heavy attack. It was a fierce battle but we had the manpower to win until an archer began to pick off our best fighters. One of the deadliest I've ever seen. Single handedly he changed the balance into their favor. I could follow the path his arrows made and knew that soon my number would be up. Soldiers were cutting their way through his defenses, but I feared they would be too late."

"We could hear the arrow coming", Casper whispered. "And said a prayer to the Moon Goddess."
Both cringed when they remembered the sound and smell of the arrow hitting his target.
"I never saw your father move in front of me until it was too late. The arrow had killed him instantly leaving me with as many questions as you have."

Art looked at the ground. "Prince Rafael told me that his death was a turning point in the war. Is that true?"

"Aldair Balthazar, Captain of the Royal Guard gave his life for his subordinate. Every soldier could connect to such a noble deed and felt inspired to fight harder. Next time we went into battle we won and every battle after that", Wren nodded. "So yes, its true."

Art lost his temper and hit him on the back of the head. "Why can't you just be proud? Why the survivors guilt?"

"Because I know how much you love your father! If it weren't for me he would still be alive." Wren sank to his knees. "Don't you think that in all of this prophecy crap I'm the easiest to replace?"

Art looked at him with open mouth. "Orlando Wren, don't you dare utter such nonsense ever again", he cried falling to his knees in front of Wren. "I loved my father and I love my mate. No one could ever replace either of you in my heart."

In an unconscious move he rubbed his belly thinking of the conversation he had with his mother after Ben had send him home this afternoon.

"I'm still calling dibs on triplets", Charlotte chimed loud enough to echo through the bond.

"Snitch", Art scolded her when he felt the response Casper and next Wren.

"Your pregnant?"

Art sighed, a little pleased that Wren had picked up on the unusual fact that he was pregnant instead of Charlotte, and rewarded him with a searing kiss. "I love you, my irreplaceable mate", he murmured before putting words into actions.

King Dimitri sat in his study with a well-thumbed letter of Aldair in front of him.

'Dear Friend,

My deepest condolences on the loss of your two eldest boys. It puts a dark cloud on all our efforts to win this bloody war.
I want to thank you for sending me reinforcements. Cronos is especially taken with one of the junior Lieutenants and talks about how Charlotte would love him and how Art would hate his guts. I asked him why he felt this strong urge to keep this young man out of harms way, but he won't tell me. I wonder if he could possibly be Art's mate? If so, I can tell you one thing: My grandkids are going to be beautiful!
I'm looking forward to the time when we can see our loved ones and hold them save in our arms.

As always, your humble servant,

Aldair Balthazar.'

King Dimitri leaned in his chair. "Our role is almost played out, my old friend. Time to let the next generation take over."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

358 2 22
Once upon a time lived a little princess, she was loved greatly by the King and Queen, her doting parents. The little princess was once so happy. Unt...
98 48 12
Once upon a time, in the illustrious Emerald Kingdom, there lived a woman whose beauty rivaled the most enchanting of fairy tales. Born a princess, s...
330 15 14
Adellia has grown up surrounded by rules and regulations. She's been prepped from birth to eventually reside in the throne that has been in her famil...
82.2K 3.1K 36
One fine night you could hear the clanking of the armour and four knights draped in chain mail along with a sea green capes came into the castle to m...