Can we try again?

By SadetuAtiti

Samira, a final year student in the University of Lagos, gets carried away one night at a party and does what... More

Writer's Note
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight
Nine.
Ten
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen
Twenty.
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty- four
Twenty- five
Twenty-six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty- eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-four
Thirty-five
Thirty-six
Thirty-seven
Thirty- eight
Thirty-nine
Forty
Forty-one
(Questions/appreciation)
Forty-two
Forty-three
Fourty-four
Forty-five
Forty-six
Forty-seven
Forty-eight
Forty-nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-three
Fifty-four
Fifty-six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-eight
Fifty nine
Sixty
Sixty-one
Sixty-two
Sixty-three
Sixty-four
Sixty-five
Sixty-six
Sixty-seven
Sixty-eight
Sixty-nine
Seventy
Seventy-one
Seventy-two
Seventy- three
Seventy-four
Seventy-five
Seventy-six
Sixty-seven
Seventy-eight
Seventy-nine
Eighty
Eighty-one
Eighty-two
Eighty-three
Eighty-four
Eighty-five
Eighty-six
Eighty-seven
Eighty-eight
Eighty-nine
Ninety
Ninety-one
Ninety-two
Ninety-three
Ninety-four
Ninety-five
Ninety-six
Ninety-seven
Ninety-eight
Ninety-nine
Hundred
Hundred and one
Hundred and two

Fifty-five

2.4K 351 37
By SadetuAtiti

I tried to find Mrs Amadi as soon as I came out of Mr Attah's office but I was told she'd gone out for a meeting and wouldn't be back for the rest the day.

I owed her. I owed her big time.

It was amazing how she thought very highly of me to make such fantastic recommendations about me to the big boss. And the funny thing was, she never once mentioned anything about how good I was, or sang my praises to my face.
She never congratulated me for doing a project well, or even scolded me if I messed up any. In fact, I didn't even think she paid any attention to what I was doing.
But I was wrong. All along, she'd been silently observing my works.

I can see now that beneath all that strict face, and austerity, is someone who cares, someone who watches her employees and gives honour to whom honour is due to. My respect for her after this has skyrocketed to another level.

I was heading back to my office when I heard my name being called from behind. I turned around and it was Angel. She probably wants to get the full gist of things.

"What happened in there?" She said as she caught up with me.

When she saw my smile, her eyes shot up. "You weren't. . . He didn't. . .?"

I shook my head.

"Thank God." She sighed a breath of relief. It was like I didn't have to say a word to her and she understood.

"What did he say? What was the meeting all about?"

"It was just my 6 months appraisal," I told her, and she nodded slowly. "He was asking questions about how I've found working here so far, if I'm confident with the job and all that."

"Oh yeah, that's right, it has been 6 months since you've been with us. Thank God it wasn't about that stuff. I was so worried that he was going to fire you or something." She shook her head slightly. "You're one of the good ones here. One of the people that are actually nice to me, so I didn't want to lose you." She admitted. For a moment, a sad look crossed her face.

Every word she said was etched with honesty and sincerity that it surprised me. I didn't know I had this kind of effect on the people I work with.

"Thanks so much, Angel, it means a lot  that you think such way of me." I smiled and rubbed her shoulder slightly. "And yes thank God I'm not going anywhere because eh, I was shitting my pants in there o." I said and she giggled.

"Seriously, I thought I was a goner, and then he mentioned about appraisal and my mind just. . . I just calmed down."

"Oh boy," she said. "It must have been scary."

"You bet it was."

"So did he. . .uh, mention anything about the missing money?"

I knew she was going to bring this up. I weighed my words carefully before speaking.
"Well he didn't really go in depth, he just said they're working hard to find the culprit," I answered her.

"Okay."

"Yeah."

"Did he say anything else?"

"About what?" I looked at her suspiciously.
Did she know about the program?

"I dunno, like anything else."

I pretended to think about it, and then I said, "Not really. Apart from the appraisal, we didn't talk about anything else."

There was absolutely no need for her to know about the program or that I've been selected for it. Imagine the kind of jealousy that would erupt in the minds of everyone if they all knew.

She's only just started working here and now she gets to go abroad and we don't, they would probably say. 

I didn't want any sort of drama. And I wasn't 100 percent certain that I was definitely going to go. I've only been lucky to be part of the 50. I probably might not be among the final 20. So I'm going to lie low, at least for now.

"Okay," she said. "Well then, I'm glad everything's okay with you. But I'm going to head back now. I've got a lot of stuff to sort out."

"Thank you so much, Angel. I appreciate the support."

"No problem. Bye." She gave me a smile and then turned to leave. 

"Uhm . . .wait, Angel." She stopped in her tracks.

"Yeah?"

"You know, we should hang out sometime," I blurted out. 

"Really?" she stared at me, shocked. "Are you serious?" It was as though she was genuinely surprised that I would ask to hang out with her.

"Sure." I told her. "I mean, we could go out for a meal, or you could come to my house and we could just chill. You know, get to know each other."

"Wow." Her eyes lit up. "Yes. Sure. I would love that. You just let me know when. I mean, I don't really have much that I do anyway, apart from this job, so, I'll be available." 

"Brilliant," I said, giving her a wink. "I've got your number, so I'll text you and we can set a date?"

"Yes. Perfect." She said and before I knew it, she threw her arms around me, and hugged me so tightly, that it nearly threw me off balance. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Angel."

She walked off, and this time it was like there were springs in her steps as she skipped along in excitement. 

I wonder what her story is, I thought to myself as I watched her trot down the hallway and disappear out of my sight. Everyone's got a story.
I would love to get to know hers. In fact, it would be nice to have someone who I could call my friend in this place and I thought Angel was the perfect person.

I got to my office and carried on with my duties as usual. Filing documents, reading and replying to emails, making phone calls, setting tasks, making spreadsheets.

The only thing about the day that was different from other days was the good news I received. Even though I tried my hardest, I just couldn't contain myself. I couldn't contain the excitement bubbling inside of me. The excitement that wanted to erupt out of me. I just wanted some space so so could scream with joy.

But of course I couldn't do that. Not here at work. Not yet.

There was big grin plastered on my face. I was beaming like there was no tomorrow, singing, humming and whistling cheerfully to myself as I typed away.

"This one you're smiling and singing like this eh, hope all is well?" This was Nonso, a tall, lanky girl, whose office was opposite mine.

She was one of the busybodies in the office, always looking for who to get gossips from and whom to gossip about. and put into trouble. She was the type who thought she was a superior being and that the company . . .in fact . . . the whole earth revolves around her. If only she could pay more attention when she looks at herself in the mirror, and really see that no one cares about her or her squirrel-looking teeth.

She was stood at the door. I looked up from my computer screen and looked at her, a fake smile plastered on my face. "Yes Nonso, all is well, thank you." I went back to typing. I had no time to start up a conversation with her. 

Not today Satan. Ain't nobody gonna kill my joy!

"Ehen," She made a low sound. "So why are you looking so happy and smiling? It's not like it's Friday sef. What could you be so excited about?"

I looked at her again. "I'm just happy. Is there anything wrong with that?"

"No o, there isn't." Her words were full of sarcasm. She scrunched up her nose, sizing me up and down as if she was trying to detect the source of my happiness. I couldn't help but stare at  her, at her protruded upper incisors that were too big to fit in her mouth.
It wasn't because she cared that's why she was asking, she was just a nosy bitch.

"It's just," she continued and I groaned internally. "That you're smiling, and I can hear you singing. I just want to know why. You've not won the lottery, have you?"

I smiled, even though my patience was wearing out. "Nonso, I told you, I'm just in a good mood, that's it. I'm happily doing my job."

Please leave me alone let me continue.

"I don't believe you. No one is this happy at work. There must be a reason why you are like . . ."

". . . like what eh? Madam Aproko?" Agatha's voice came from her office.

The two of them are like chalk and cheese. Tom and Jerry. They never ever get along and are always at each others' throats.

Nonso rolled her eyes and produced a very long and loud hiss. "Look at who is calling who aproko."

Agatha ignored her comments and I heard her say. "Can you not leave the poor girl to be happy and sing in peace? Does she need a permit from you to be happy?"

"Agatha you need to start minding your business in this place o." Nonso warned. "Why are you always on my case? The person I'm talking to can talk for herself, can't she? Do you have to put your mouth in other people's business."

"See who's talking. How about you take your own advice and leave people alone to do their jobs happily and in peace. Just because you're miserable, it doesn't mean everyone else should be too, okay? Samira is happy, yes, let her be."

"You're a big fool!" Nonso spat at her. 

I looked Nonso as she exchanged words with Agatha who was still in her own cubicle.

Can you two please take your bickering somewhere else so I can work in peace? 

"Guys, it's enough. Please, you don't want anyone to hear the two of you and come here." They didn't seem to hear what I said, rather they carried on exchanging insults.

"You're the fool," Agatha retorted back from her office. "Since you always carry people's matter on your head."

"You know what, I don't have your time this afternoon. Goodbye." Nonso stormed angrily into her office, slamming the door shut.

"Yes. Go. And learn to mind your business," I heard Agatha mutter. 

I shook my head at the scene I'd just witnessed. A part of me was grateful that Agatha stood up for me and put Nonso in the place that she belonged.  With a loud sigh, I continued with the work I was doing before I got interrupted. 

  ***  

By the time I looked at the clock again, it was 5:35. Way past my finish time. But I carried on anyway, until I was finished the last bit of work I had. I cleared up my table and tidied up before I headed for the door.

One look at the sky and I knew I had at most 30 minutes before the dark clouds give way and the outpouring began. I increased my pace, in a bid to quickly get a taxi. Being stuck outside in the rain was not something I planned for, especially when I didn't have an umbrella. I waved my hands to hail a taxi but it didn't stop, and as it came closer, I could see why. It was already full of passengers. There was no luck with the second or third one I hailed. 

It was that time of the evening. Rush hour. The traffic was starting to build up. People raced along past me, all heading somewhere. Anywhere they could get a shelter before it starts to rain. Cars honked, Keke napep swerved, trying to get past the cars. I continued marching on, in hope that at least one taxi would be available.

I heard a car honk. And honked again. It was persistent. I turned around and saw a black Mercedes pulling over behind me. 

He/she probably wants to stop to buy something, I thought and carried on walking. And then I heard my name.

I turned back around again and I saw the door of the car open. As soon as he stepped out of the car, I stopped in my tracks. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Happy Sunday to all my wonderful people. Hope y'all are having a great day. I just thought to bless your day even more with this chapter. 😊😊😊I hope you enjoy it. ( I'm working on the next one already, so it shouldn't be long 😉😉)

Please don't forget to vote and leave your comments on how you're finding the story so far🙏🙏

And again, thank you all so so so much for your support. We're nearly at 40k reads and it's all because of you wonderful people.
Lots of love 😘😘😘💕💕💕💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.3K 12.8K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...
6.2K 1.8K 29
Ewww!" He spat. "Me? Like you? I'd rather date a horse than date an ugly thing like you!" He seethed before forcefully pushing her on the floor, she...
51.7K 5.9K 55
*** Why are you still here Mr Wellington?" I asked as I clutched my bathrobe to cover my body well. I don't want the scenario of my bathrobe falling...
36.7K 7.5K 45
Have you ever been madly in love with your childhood best friend, but they never loved you the same way? I mean, not like they didn't love you back...