Passions of the Heart - BOOK...

Per SheriChapman

Please see the next page for a full description - This is the sequel to Wild Passions. Kaitlin has just bee... Més

Passions of the Heart - BOOK 2 of the PASSION series
Chapter One - Betrothal
Chapter Two - Reminiscing...
Chapter Three - Freedom?
Chapter Four - Precautious Measures
Chapter Five - Lovers
Chapter Six - Tipi Construction
Chapter Eight - Pursuit

Chapter Seven - Wedding Guests

1.8K 97 22
Per SheriChapman

Chapter Seven

Wedding Guests

The first man they approached was about twenty-five years older than them.  He was powerfully built.  Gray strands worked themselves through the crisp blackness. He was attractive and commanded respect. 

“Chief Hawk Eyes, this is Mazaska Zi Ista.”  The war chief paused then said, "Mazaska Zi Ista, this is the chief of the Cheyenne band just to the southeast of us.”

The older man’s eyes studied her thoughtfully for a moment.  Then a smile broke his serious face.  He grasped her hand with his on top. 

“You have chosen splendidly, Woniya Mato.  She is a rare rose in the forest of trees.  Guard her well!”

Spirit Bear clasped the older man’s forearms in acknowledgement of such high praise.  Kaitlin blushed and looked down.  She had some difficulty understanding what the other man said.  He attempted to speak Lakota, the language of her band of the Sioux, but it was heavily accented as if he didn’t normally speak it.

For her benefit, all visitors spoke Lakota.  Kaitlin still didn’t fully understand the complex language, but because she knew many words, she could usually get the gist of the conversation.

The last group Spirit Bear introduced her to were members of the Yankton tribe, one of the seven distinctions of the mighty Sioux Nation.  The first man to stand introduced himself.

“I am Sunmanitu Wacitusni, Sly Coyote,” he began by clasping forearms with the chief.  “I share mothers with Eagle Talon, husband of Opossum Eyes.  He sends his regrets that he was not able to make your wedding.  Under current circumstances with his wife… he thought it best.”

Spirit Bear chuckled.  “Tell my friend that I understand and agree with his decision!”

Kaitlin recalled the unfriendly girl, Opossum Eyes.  She was an Oglala woman who desired Woniya Mato for herself and went out of her way to antagonize Kaitlin.  The chief had arranged for the girl’s marriage to Eagle Talon of the Yankton Sioux tribe to further unite their tribes as well as to take care of the problems she presented. Spirit Bear saw to it that she would no longer cause misery to his betrothed.

The chief, Wise Owl, wishes me to tell you he will arrive a few suns before the marriage.  There are some things in the village he needs to prepare for first.”

Tos, I understand,” he paused an appropriate moment of time and then introduced his winyan: “This is Mazaska Zi Ista, my promised.”

Kaitlin felt the power of the man’s intense stare.  She shifted uncomfortably under the weight of his look.  She felt like a prized horse being analyzed by a potential buyer. 

“She is gopeca, Woniya Mato.”

Tos.  I agree.  Thank you.”

He then took Kaitlin’s arm and introduced her to the rest of the group.  Because all the guests had now met his beautiful golden bird, they joined the last group to visit.  Kaitlin joined the three women in the group who sat a little apart from the men.  The chief remained to visit with the other important company. 

“Hopping Robin, I am pleased to meet you,” Kaitlin began.  “And you, Soft Touch, and you also, Little Foot.” 

The women smiled in welcome at her.  They began to speak of the skills they developed as they aged.  Little Foot got up and went to her guest tipi.  She returned with a bag. 

She poured its contents into her hand and held up each on to show Kaitlin.  Inside were fine jewelry items.  An amber necklace and bracelet gleamed in the lowering sun.  A leather band with more amber beads would circle her upper arm.  There were places for feathers of her husband’s to be attached to show who she belonged to.

There was also a pastel necklace of lightly colored crystals.  The subtle hints of color would make any woman breathe in pleasure.  Kaitlin wanted to show she understood about the work involved, but also the talent in making such eye-catching combinations.

“You are very skilled, Little Foot!  They are very gopeca!”

“I brought them for you,” she confided with a smile.

“Oh, thank you!” Kaitlin shyly smiled.  “They are truly magnificent!”

While she smiled in pleasure, she hugged the items to her chest.  She felt eyes upon her.  She looked up expecting Woniya Mato’s eye, but instead, it was the black weight of Sly Coyote.

His face was devoid of emotion.  His eyes lingered upon her and engulfed her even when she caught him looking.  Her face flushed, and she shifted uncomfortably.

He was slightly shorter than her betrothed and very muscular as well.  His obsidian eyes were sheltered under distinctive brows.  His nose was large, but not overly so.  His mouth was outlined by lips that were neither too thin nor full.  He was handsome, but not devastatingly so as her man. 

When Kaitlin sneaked a peak back at him, he was engaged in conversation with the other men.  The two remaining women went to retrieve their gifts for the promised couple.  Hopping Robin presented Kaitlin with a nearly black leather hide of moose.  She also placed a wooden box containing many dyed porcupine quills for decoration into the golden skinned woman’s lap.

Soft Touch also placed a wooden box onto Kaitlin’s lap.  It held many bone beads of different sizes and shapes.  Much work had gone into shaping the items.  She provided a core of tough rawhide used for the bottoms of moccasins to Kaitlin.

“Thank you so much, my new kolas!  These are lovely gifts!  I am much honored!” and she hugged each woman.

The women conversed for a time.  Finally, Woniya Mato stood and held his hand out to Golden Eyes.  She stood and approached him.  As they left, she saw Sly Coyote’s eyes upon her once more.  She shuddered slightly.

“What is it, Mazaska Zi Ista?” asked the muscular man softly.

“It is nothing, my chief.”

When they lay down on the sleeping mats, the leader could sense something was weighing on Golden Eye’s mind.  She seemed distracted and uneasy.

“Come, mita Wastelaka.  Tell me what troubles you,” his warm, masculine voice persuaded her.

“It is probably nothing, but I do not like the way Sly Coyote looks upon me.”

The chief chuckled and stated, “You are every man’s dream, mita gopeca winyan.  It is only natural for a male to stare upon you when seeing you for the first time.  You are the golden light of Wi taken shape.”

“Still, Woniya Mato.  I know I am not a warrior, but there is something about him that I cannot put my finger on.”

“He would not be so stupid to try something when you are the chosen one of the war chief of the Oglalas!” Spirit Bear exclaimed.  “Neither would it be wise of him to make an overture to you during our pre-ceremonial days.  I would claim his life for such a deed!”

Hiya, my chief.  I did not mean to imply he has less-than-honorable intentions, but I just feel… strange around him.”

“Put the matter from your mind, Wastelaka.  Istnma now,” he commanded.  He brought her feminine outline against his rock-hard one.  His strong arms circled her possessively.  “I will permit no harm to befall you, my love,” he whispered into her hair.

The next morning, Kaitlin and many women left to gather vegetables and fruit for the numerous people in the camp of the Bear Claw Clan.  Kaitlin provided various baskets; both of her own construction and some from the many gifts she’d received to carry the booty back to the camp. 

She was aware of the subtle eyes that followed her.  Sly Coyote allowed her to see that he watched her but would be obtrusive when others were around.  She didn’t like it at all.  Still, she didn’t verbalize any more unease to her beloved.

When Kaitlin filled her mniapahta at midday, she felt as if the unsettling gaze was still upon her.  She stood to look around but did not detect anyone near.  She shook her head and continued her chore.

When the water skins were full, she stooped to collect water cress and fill a basket she’d brought along for that purpose.  She loved water cress salad flavored with fat drippings from roasted meat mixed with onion and carrots; it was one of her preferred greens. 

Kaitlin waded into the water further, her bare feet delighting in the delicious coolness of the stream.  She picked and filled her basket as she wandered.   Just as she was reaching for more of the freshwater plant, a masculine hand swam into her vision.  The hand was full of rich green cress. 

“Oh!” she gasped in startled surprise.  “You scared me!” She looked up into the deeply probing eyes of Sly Coyote.

A slightly mocking smile lit up his face.  He raked her body with his eyes before he refocused on her face.  The heat radiated from him, making her very much aware of her femininity.  Slowly, he placed the greens into her basket.

“I-I must be getting back,” she stammered.

“Do you fear being alone with me?” his deep tone asked, slightly teasing her to rile her so that she would stay longer with him.

“N-no, but I…” she searched for a plausible excuse, “I just don’t think it’s appropriate.”

“Why?  Do you feel more for me than what a stranger should feel for another?”  He took a step closer to her.  “There is no reason to feel uncomfortable around me.”

Her foot chose that moment to slip on a slick stone.  She flailed slightly and tried to stabilize herself.  Sly Coyote reached out and grabbed her to support her, his arm in a half hug behind her.  She could feel his warm fingers on her waist through the cool fabric of her dress.  

“We are not on the well-used path…” she began. 

His fingers began to circle her side ever so slightly and he pulled her a little toward him so that she faced him in the water.  Only inches separated her chest from his.  She looked up and saw his breathing rate had increased.  Nervously, she looked hurriedly over her shoulder. 

To regain her attention, Sly Coyote took his free hand and gently touched her shoulder and traced her arm to her elbow.  She trembled under his touch but refused to show him how unsettled she was in his presence.

“I know,” he said huskily.

Kaitlin then heard Wawat’ecaka call for her.  Her timing couldn’t have been better!

“I must go,” she said and turned from him without a backward glance.  She could not help that her spine stiffened as she quickly retreated.   His eyes burned into her back until she disappeared from his line of vision.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

Red Thunder Per Suzanne Silvers

Literatura romàntica

173K 4.3K 21
A love spanning two cultures... I have lived on my family's homestead on the prairie all my nineteen years. It is all I have ever known, and it is I...
2.3K 96 49
BOOK ONE PART TWO- THE CLAN CELEBRATION Brandon and Ezekiel had a difficult meeting. Their interactions with each other hampered by personal demons...
8.4M 198K 22
*BOOK THREE* (Can be read as standalone) OFFICIAL PREVIEW FOR THE PUBLISHED NOVEL!! THIS INCLUDES THE PROLOGUE AND FIRST TWO CHAPTERS. Lexia has bee...
991K 8K 13
Book 3rd In Second Generation Series ~NEIL KHANNA, CO-CEO of the K.K corporation with Arjun Kashyap (The BEAST) is a 28 year old hottest business tyc...