Next Life (COMPLETED)

By xojjuliaxo

Charlotte O'Heir isn't your normal eighteen-year-old girl going off to college. She has a secret: This isn't... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 30

112 12 0
By xojjuliaxo

Chapter 30

"Well that looked intense," I turn around to see James following me into the classroom.

"You have geography with me?" I ask him, ignoring his statement.

"It appears so, maybe if we talked more we'd know this." I know he's joking, but I still feel bad.

I stop in front of a desk, putting my things down. I turn to James who raises an eyebrow at me. Without thinking I pull him into a hug. Maybe I just need some comfort after that conversation.

He seems slightly taken back, but wraps his arms around me. "What was that about out there?" He asks gently.

I pull back and take a seat. He sits besides me and regards me cautiously. "I think it's really over now James."

"Why do you say that?"

"He's seeing someone else." I thought I wanted to talk about this, but now I feel like I'm a dam barely holding on, threatening to break and free all my emotions.

"Oh Charlie, I'm sorry," James frowns and rubs my shoulder. I just nod my head and turn my attention to the front.

Throughout the class I could see James sneaking glances at me every so often. He walks beside me as we leave, but says nothing. Almost like he knows I need the company, but don't want to talk about it.

We stay like that, walking in comfortable silence as we walk to the café. I don't really want to go back in there after what happened yesterday, but I'll be damned if I let my emotions rule me.

There are only a few customers when we get there; it's still relatively early. Rita spots us as we walk in and looks at me in concern. "Oh Charlie honey, how are you? You didn't look so good yesterday."

"I'm okay, just felt lightheaded. I needed to go back to my dorm and rest," I lie and I can tell James sees right through me.

"Oh well I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Go take a seat I'll send someone over soon."

We go sit at our usual table before James questions me, "What really happened yesterday?"

"That's when I found out I saw him here with Ms. Bernard."

"Your photography professor?" He blanches. I nod. "That asshole." I just shrug. "Charlie I know the whole thing was fucked up, but from what you told me the two of you seemed very much in love. I just think that's a real dick move."

I look at him unsure, "Seeing someone else? It's not like we were together."

"That's besides the point. You told me you two talked on the phone over the break and seemed to still have feelings for you. What happened since then? He didn't even say anything to you," his voice is heavy with disapproval.

"It's whatever now. I talked to him today and we got the closure I think we both needed." He still doesn't look convinced. "I don't want to talk about it anymore, let's talk about something else."

"We can talk about how my younger cousin won't stop referring to me and Jesse as Team Rocket." James does a complete one eighty, now looking at me with a humored smile.

'Team Rocket?"

"Like in Pokémon. The bad guys are called Team Rocket. Their names are James and Jessie."

I burst out laughing as I remember the cartoon. Count on James to know exactly what to say to make me feel better.

"It's not funny O'Heir. I called Jesse one night and my cousin runs into my room asking me if we protect the world from devastation? I had no idea what the kid was talking about so he made me watch Pokémon with him the rest of the night." I laugh harder as I try picturing James sitting with a ten year old watching a cartoon about made up creatures that battle each other. "Oh stop laughing you my friend are our Meowth. You're in this too."

The talking cat? "What! How did I get that spot? That should be Kain."

"Nah we aren't talking to Kain, so Meowth is all you. Kain is more of a Pinsir."

"A pisser?"

"No a Pinsir. It's a mean looking bug Pokémon."

"Damn James you really know your Pokémon," I giggle.

"Oh you know it. I'm basically a trainer now."

We talk about our breaks for a while before I notice a familiar blonde walk in. Josh. I haven't seen him since the fight with Kain...

James follows my gaze and huffs in annoyance. Josh turns after ordering a drink, catching my stare. A smirk spreads across his face and he heads right to us.

"Why hello there Charlotte, long time no see," he says as he drags a chair to our table and sits at the end of the table.

"I'm sorry did I miss the part where we invited you to sit with us?" James scowls.

"Oh didn't even see you there, Jamie," Josh eyes James with amusement.

I break their stare-off. "What do you want Josh?"

"Well I haven't seen much of you, but I hear you finally decided to drop that rapist. Good idea, I'm glad you came to your senses."

My jaw clenches. "Don't you dare talk about him like that! We may not be as close anymore, but he is nothing like his family members. Kain is a good guy despite what you may think. Besides you're the one that threatened to rape me," I hiss at him.

He raises an eyebrow at my harsh tone. "Don't talk like you know anything that happened. And I would have never touched you, I was getting under Kain's skin." His calm demeanor turns dark.

"Kain told me everything. He had nothing to do with it. You have every right to be angry with his brother and uncle, but Kain did nothing and you fucking know it, Josh."

"I don't know what that asshole told you, but he lied."

"No Josh you just want to have someone to take your anger out on since your real targets are locked away." James watches our interaction like as tennis match, his head moving back and forth as we argue.

"He raped my girlfriend," he whispers bitterly.

I lean closer to him, my eyes narrowed. "He did not. Stop taking your anger out on someone who is innocent. I am sorry about what happened to your sister I really am Josh, but Kain had nothing to do with it."

As soon as I mention his sister his body tenses up and his face falls. "Don't you speak about my sister. You have no idea what his family put mine through."

I see an unfamiliar side of Josh that throws me off. He looks vulnerable? "You're right I don't have any idea Josh. But what I do know is Kain has had to hold on to a guilt that isn't his to hold on to for far too long. He had nothing to do with it, but he felt and still feels awful for what happened."

I don't know how this conversation got so deep so fast, but I feel kind of relieved to try and make things right for Kain. Even for Josh. He shouldn't hold on to this anger, it's not healthy.

Josh says nothing and James sits in stunned silence. "How is she Josh? How is your sister these days?"

He looks caught off guard by my sympathetic tone. His light blue eyes scan my face before he answers, "She went to a lot of therapy after it happened. She wouldn't talk to anyone, wouldn't really do anything for a while. She met a guy last year and he has slowly brought her back out of her shell. She's still scarred from what happened, but she seems almost like her old self again."

"She seems like a really strong girl Josh. I'm happy to hear she's doing better. You should talk about her more, you look less like an asshole when you talk about her," I joke lightly and to my pleasant surprise he chuckles.

"You're alright Charlotte O'Heir," he looks at me with a thoughtful expression. "I got to get to my class, but um thanks I guess." He stands and starts making his way out of the café, shooting one last perplexed look at me.

When he's gone I turn back to James who is starring at me like I just told him I'm a reincarnated soul. I fight back a smile at my own joke.

"What the fucking fuck was that?" He splutters.

I let out the laugh I was holding back. "I'm not actually sure James."

"Remember that time I joked that you had black magic. Well now I'm beginning to think you've been lying to me all this time. You've got to be some kind of witch or something."

"You caught me. Don't tell anyone," I smirk.

He shakes his head in bewilderment. "You should seriously become a shrink or something. Use your magic to make everyone spill their deepest darkest secrets to you. "

"Then what?"

"I don't know Charlie. You seem too good to use their secrets for evil... but if I'm by your side we could be some bad ass villains."

I laugh, "Well that works since you and Jesse are already Team Rocket."

"You're right! See it all comes back to that! You really were our Meowth all along!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 56 8
Charlotte Grey has not known kindness for many years. After losing her parents in an accident when she was seven, she was thrown in an orpahnage. Aft...
18 1 41
Welcome to the world A girl who wakes up from a coma starts to explore her new life around her. But can she get her old life back or live her new lif...
12.3K 601 29
Siri Walker is a 26 year old woman and a lawyer. She is an orphan and lives in New York. One day after winning a case she was returning home with her...
45 5 4
Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue, not with Matt's life on the line. Howev...