He Came From The Wild

By ellarose12

It is a common practice that when one Alpha challengers another, the defeated wolf can either be banished int... More

He Came From The Wild
Chapter One | Crash Landing
Chapter Two | A New World
Chapter Three | Canine Companion
Chapter Four | Making Friends
Chapter Five | Among Wolves
Chapter Six | Decisions, Decisions
Chapter Seven | Goodbyes
Chapter Eight | Meeting Monsters
Chapter Nine | Don't Let Go.
Chapter Ten | Game On
Chapter Eleven | Presents
Chapter Twelve | Fun Times
Chapter Thirteen | Her Story
Chapter Fourteen | Back to Work
Chapter Fifteen | Back to School
Chapter Sixteen | Girl Talk.
Chapter Seventeen | Competition
Chapter Eighteen | She's My Home.
Chapter Nineteen | House Guest.
Chapter TwentyOne | Perfume.
Chapter TwentyTwo | Suit Up.
Chapter TwentyThree | Nicholas.
Chapter TwentyFour | World Keeps Turning
Chapter TwentyFive | Falling To Pieces
Chapter TwentySix | Set It Free.
Chapter TwentySeven | She Runs With Wolves.
Chapter TwentyEight | Thinking. A Lot.
Chapter TwentyNine | Back Home.
Chapter Thirty | Four out of Five.
Chapter ThirtyOne | Recovery.
Chapter ThirtyTwo | Allies and Enemies
Chapter ThirtyThree | Number Five: Acceptance.
Chapter ThirtyFour | Closure.
He Came From The Wild | Epilogue.
Raised By Wolves

Chapter Twenty | Fate. Love. Mate?

16.9K 822 162
By ellarose12

Walking towards her office, Miranda was surprised Rory wasn't there, but didn't think much of it. She was half an hour early, mostly because leaving was the only way she could Braydon, well his wolf to calm down. Chad's presence had clearly set him into over protective mode and Braydon had only just shifted back when the teen woke up. In the five minutes she had to talk to him, she didn't get anything out of him other than he didn't trust other shifters to be around her.

The whole situation seemed even more exhausting thanks to getting in barely two hours of sleep and everything Braydon had off loaded was heavy on her mind. She had texted her dad to tell him Braydon wouldn't be going to work today and if not for the Chad situation, she would've stayed home too.

The mouthwatering aroma of coffee filled her office, greeting her like an old friend as she opened the door. Despite not seeing Rory, her coffee was waiting as it always was and turning on her computer, she jumped when Jason filled the doorway.

"Give me a heart attack next time why don't you?" She laughed awkwardly while her heart was pounding in her chest. It was then she realised her takeaway coffee cup was the same as his and not from the place Rory normally went to. "Was this you?"

"Sure was. Rory called and said he was stuck on the train, and I know how much you need your caffeine in the mornings." Jason smiled, taking the seat in front of her desk.

He looked Miranda over closely, noticing something wasn't right. While she had softened her appearance around the office lately, her hair was down and messy as if she hadn't brushed it, rather than put it that way on purpose. Gone was the typical kind of skirts or dresses she wore, the navy pants must looser fitting and the striped blouse was the kind he'd seen her wear on weekends, not work. In all, she looked exhausted and as she sat down in front of her computer, her brow was already creased with worry lines. This definetely wasn't the Miranda he was used to.

"Thanks Jace, I appreciate it!" Miranda eagerly took a sip of the heavenly liquid, for some strange reason glancing down at her shoes as a moment of panic hit her that she either wasn't wearing any, or they would be mismatching. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

The ding of an appointment reminder flashed up on her screen, reminding her of an appointment she made last year with a local designer. How could she have forgotten it was that time of the year already?

Looking at Jason, he sat frowning at her, clearly lost in thought until she snapped him out of it. "Ready for the ball?"

It took him a second to answer as he got his focus back.

"Yes, actually, I've been meaning to ask you something about that Andy."

"Oh?" Miranda sipped her coffee, impressed he got her order right as she tasted a hint of vanilla.

For years, Tyson Limited, a rival company, put on one of the most elaborate nights of the year. It was where the bulk of business deals were started from as all the big players in the industry were there. For as long as she could remember Miranda had been Jasons' date and she loved the chance to dress up in a gown that had been specifically made for her with jewels that were loaned from the more exclusive stores. It's amazing the doors that opened because you'd be seen on the arm of Jason Carpe on the red carpet.

It then occurred to her, maybe he wasn't going to take her this year. Did he have an actual date? He always claimed he'd never take anyone to it if she couldn't go, well aware of the gold diggers that prowled around after the wealthy. His trust was extremely limited and so maybe after she kept their friendship as just that, he had a change of heart. Miranda couldn't deny she'd be disappointed.

"Why don't you bring Braydon along?" Jason asked casually.

Unable to hide her shock, she literally sprayed her coffee all over her keyboard before coughing as if she was having a fit.

"Shit. You okay?" In seconds Jason was there, patting her back and throwing tissues over the mess.

"Sorry!" Miranda coughed again, wiping her eyes and mouth before focusing on the mess."Um, did you actually say bring Braydon?"

Jason laughed, before acting offended. "Yes. Why is that so hard to believe?"

"Well you two aren't exactly all buddy buddy and-"

"I want to change that. The P.I is getting no where in finding his family and with him at school now, he seems like he'll be around for a while. I may as well try to get to know him a little better!" He was impressed by how genuine he sounded. So was Miranda.

"Wow, Jason, that's really great to hear. You've been so generous already, and, wow. I'm sure he'll be excited about it." Miranda at least prayed he would be, even just a little bit. If they did masquerade again, she'd even see about finding him a Batman mask like she saw someone wear a couple of years ago.

"Tell you what, I'll even take him out to get a suit!" Jason sat back down in his chair, feeling rather pleased with himself.

"Really? I don't know, I'll ask him and if he agrees I'll make sure you take my card. You really have done a lot for him, well for us." Getting up Miranda hugged Jason, once again unable to feel anything other than hopeful for the future.

"It's what friends do!" Jason held her a little tighter than could be considered acceptable for a hug between friends and Miranda instantly let go and pulled away. Jason pretended not to notice."So how is school going for him?"

"Great!" There was no denying the strain in Miranda's voice then, just thinking about Carolina had her frowning. "He is really enjoying it."

"Great!" Jason mocked her enthusiasm, "everything okay Andy? You know I'm always here for you if you ever need to talk?"

"I know. I appreciate it Jason. It's just, well-" Miranda was going to wait until she saw Abby to get out some of her frustrations, but after the night before and knowing Braydon and Carolina were together now, in her apartment, and she wasn't there, Miranda took the chance to vent. "Someone there thinks they met Bradyon a couple of years ago and she seems fairly insistant on it."

"Oh really? So she could help find his family?" Now Jason was interested, thinking over the woman in the photos he had recieved that night. She was attractive, no denying that and in one of the pictures taken at the park she and Miranda looked to be having a rather serious conversation.

"Not quite. She doesn't actually know anything about him, they only met once, at night, if you get my drift." Miranda waited for him to catch on and the way his eyebrows arched up in surprise told her he got it. "Jason, I know I said nothing was going with Braydon and I, but honestly? I can't deny I'm not feeling something for him."

"That was kind of obvious Andy, anyone could see it." He answered calmly, sipping his coffee. "So now she's everywhere as a bad kind of reminder of his past?"

"Exactly. It's such a mess!" Miranda groaned, hanging her head in her hands.

"If it's meant to be, it'll work out. Isn't that what you used to tell me when I used to bring in mistake after mistake?" Jason moved around to hug her again, just as Rory came rushing through the door.

"I'm sorry Miranda, I missed the- Oh. Sorry!" He turned on his heel to avoid interrupting. Being out of breath and already in rush he nearly tripped over his chair as he staggered towards his desk.

"Thanks Jason, it was great to just talk. We haven't done that in a while." Miranda smiled up at him, hopeful that he was right. Now with Rory and some others arriving in the office, it was back to business.

"Any time!" He left her office and went straight to his, pulling out the envelope of photographs and found the picture of the teacher, reading the post it note stuck on the corner with her name on it. "Let's see what I can do with you, Carolina Corbani."

-x-

Chad sat beside Braydon, watching a re-run of The Simpsons while eating breakfast. Despite how tired he felt, Braydon was slightly annoyed his routine had been broken. He actually missed his chance to see Donald, since he had really been enjoying working. He had been given some money of his own for his efforts, and the acceptance he felt from the others at the workplace and Miranda's family in general made him feel like he belong in a way he had been craving for so long. Pack life wasn't for everyone and glancing over at the boy, clearly that included Chad too.

So far they had two arguments over him going back to the Corbani home, both of which had ended in them giving the other silent treatment. The knock on the door had Braydon getting up, anxious about letting Carolina into his territory; even if his wolf was hinting at wanting to see her again.

Chad only groaned and made no sign of moving from the sofa.

"She's here for you." Braydon didn't mean to sound so rough, but his wolf was fighting for control once more and there was no chance in hiding it.

"She is here for you, not me!" was all he got back in a rather snarky tone, followed by, "She is your mate."

With a huff, Braydon went to the front door taking deep breaths as he used Miranda's presence that still lingered in the apartment to keep himself calm. Opening the door ruined all of that.

"Chad?" Carolina called, pushing past Braydon she went straight to the living room and fell beside him, holding him tightly. "Don't, ever, ever, run off again! You had us all so worried!"

Braydon hovered in the doorway, watching the scene unfold. Carolina was clearly trying too hard and neither male bought the display. To save Chad from suffering any further, Braydon coughed to clear his throat and in doing so, got Carolina's attention.

"Can I, ah, talk to you for a sec?" He mumbled, and with a nod, Carolina followed him to the kitchen.

Not knowing what to say, he offered her a drink and even breakfast; all of which she declined. It was strange enough for her as it was and sitting in her rivals apartment playing nice wasn't high on her to do list.

"What happened last night?" Carolina demanded, glancing back in Chad's direction. Hearing him laugh at something on the TV told her he wasn't listening to them.

"When I left you I came home, there was something hiding in the bushes out the front and I found him. He had shifted, but was human again, hiding because he wasn't ah, he was naked." Braydon lied, regretting not talking to Chad about things before Carolina had got there. How could he make sure she didn't know Miranda had seen a wolf? Would Carolina believe the dog story?

"Then why didn't you call me then? How did this happen?"

"He didn't want me to. I snuck him down some clothes and told Miranda we went to school together and he was having a hard time at home. It's not far from the truth." Braydon added in bitterly.

"You don't know anything about what happens at home." She hissed.

"Maybe not, but the kid doesn't want to go back with you!" Something rather defensive flaired up in Braydon then, "I want to help you, with them. I know what they feel, how they think. You only see him a runt. I see someone who doesn't understand what is happening to him or why and has no one to talk to about it."

Carolina went quiet, thinking it over. If anything, it would give them a chance to spend more time together and that could only work in her favour.

"You're right, he's been through a lot and clearly he trusts you," Carolina sighed in defeat, "how about you come over tomorrow, just hang out - get to know everyone?"

"I'd like that." Braydon admitted, crossing his arms he felt the satisfaction from his victory take over.

"Just ah, leave the hu- Miranda here. If any of them shift, it might be difficult to explain!" she shrugged, and Braydon nodded.

"I know." He agreed. Besides, he wouldn't Oliver near Miranda so her going anywhere near that place wasn't happening.

"Chad! Come on, lets go home!" Carolina called, picking up her keys. Going back into the living room, Chad still looked like he wasn't going to be moving any time soon. "Chad, lets go kiddo!"

"No."

"Chad," The strain in Carolina's voice was obvious and embarrassment of being disobeyed in front of Braydon had her tempted to actually command him. "Now."

"No." Looking up at her, Chad didn't show the fear he should have. For now, the voice in his head was gone and he didn't feel weak like when the animal was present. Being human, her mood wasn't impacting him as much as it should. "I want to stay here."

"You can't. You-" Carolina didn't get to finish.

"He can stay, I will take him home later." Braydon offered, and instantly Chad sat up a little straighter.

"See Care, Braydon will bring me back later!"

"I don't think that's a good idea." She mumbled, not impressed.

"He doesn't want to go now, he'll be back by dinner." Braydon assured her.

Reluctantly, Carolina gave in. "Fine. You'll do your classes tomorrow instead."

"Classes?" Confused, Braydon looked between the pair.

"I home school them, its part of why I became a teacher. They can't go to school, not without the pack helping them through the start of their shifting and dealing with their wolf!" She said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world, "dinner time Braydon, if not before."

She left quickly, having spent enough time around the mix of Braydon and Miranda's scents. It was nauseating to her and once home, she was going to have to let her wolf out to get rid of the tension that had her muscles tight and her head hurting.

Leaving Chad, Braydon went and showered before deciding he had to talk to Chad about what he would say if asked about last night.

"Dude, you got a sick collection of games! This one is epic!" He held up one that Rory dropped off last week and Braydon only nodded. "You k?"

"About last night," Braydon started, before Chad stopped him.

"Don't worry. I was listening to you two talk out there. Miranda never saw me, got it." Braydon was speechless for a minute, but the teen didn't notice. If he did, he didn't care. "So whats the deal, if Care is your mate, shouldn't you be all over each other and all that stuff right?"

"Um, well, yeah, but. It's complicated." Rubbing the back of his neck, Braydon sat down as Chad set up the TV to display the playstation.

"I think it's stupid. Just one more thing this curse has to ruin in our lives." Chad spat out, holding up the second controller, Braydon nodded and Chad threw it over to him.

"You don't want to find your mate?"

"Maybe. I guess if she is like, really smoking or something you know? She's meant to be what you need, your perfect partner but if she is like the other shifters she'll probably reject me anyway." Again Braydon was left speechless. "I don't care. I'd want to find someone who loves me anyway. I don't care if they are a shifter or human or blind and deaf or missing an arm or a leg - what ever."

With the game started, the pair chatted like old friends and the morning flew by. Braydon actually enjoyed it more than when he played with Rory, only because he didn't have to watch what he said and could talk opening about shifter things too. Being around his own kind had its perks, especially one who didn't think less of humans.

-x-

"Braydon, I'm home!" Miranda called out, dumping her bag on the table by the door she had her shoes off instantly. "Do you care if we just have cheese on toast for dinner? I don't want to go out again!"

It was only three o'clock and after her first dress fitting, she had just gone home after rather than back to work. Her return had startled Braydon, thinking it was later than it actually was as he jumped up off the sofa where he had fallen asleep. On the floor surrounded by cushions, Chad hadn't even flinched at the activity around him.

"What time is it?" Braydon yawned, and as he stretched he took up the whole hallway.

"Just gone three, why?" Miranda instantly yawned in response.

"I got to get Chad back to Carolina's!"

"What? He's still here, what happened?" Miranda peeked into the living room as Braydon pulled her away. He quickly told her what happened with Carolina and Miranda had to give it to the she-wolf, she was smooth. Miranda just didn't understand why the other woman was so interested in Braydon, especially when it was obvious something was happening with them.

"Braydon, I don't know a lot about your kind, but you mean a lot to me and she seems to have her own, ah, thing for you. What she is doing for those, pups, is wonderful and I'm glad you're going to be helping with that, but I don't trust her."

'Now. Tell her now.'

The wolf was right, but he just couldn't bring himself to tell Miranda. His hesitation was enough to make her question it further, "Is there something going on?"

"No, no Miranda. It's not like that at all!" The look on her face told him she needed something more, "She knows I love you, that I only came here to stay with you!"

The declaration wasn't what Miranda had been expecting; just like the kiss that followed.

Before when he had said he loved her, she thought he didn't actually realise what he was saying. There was no denying it now, but the niggling feeling in the back of her mind wouldn't be so easily swayed. He had literally snuck out of the apartment to see Carolina before and now this? She couldn't help feel possessive over him, deepening the kiss in such a way, Braydon let instinct take over as Miranda was pushed against the wall. His hands slid from her neck down to her waist, before slipping back up under her shirt so smooth, warm skin had his tingling.

Despite the fact he had her pinned into place, Miranda was the one in control and as his hands reached the lace fabric of her bra, she gasped breathlessly against his mouth. Opening her eyes, the pair of them stopped for a second as their attraction gave way to something else, something more. The need to take it further grew between them, scaring yet exciting Braydon as he buried his head against her neck. Her scent was sweeter than it normally was now and the second he heard the footstep behind them, he moved with speed Miranda didn't think a person could possess and shifted just as Chad stepped into the corridor.

Braydon growled, loosing all sense of control as the wolf took over. Chad froze, his eyes not leaving the animal as Miranda felt her cheeks heating with embarrassment and quickly fixed up her shirt. Lost in the moment, she had forgotten about Chad, clearly Braydon had too and now neither of them dared to move as the wolf was snarling so furiously, it was almost foaming at the mouth. The creature was big enough as it was, the hackles only causing it to appear larger as his tail curled into a dominant plume. It wasn't until it took a step towards Chad, Miranda woke up and as she went to step around Braydon, he snapped at her as a warning to stay back.

"Braydon, Wolfy, calm down!" Miranda spoke calmly, yet firmly, the animal barely glancing her way.

"Y-you know, about, about us?" Chad stuttered, and it was probably the worst thing he could have said at that point as now Braydon had even more reason to get defensive.

"Yes, I know." She admitted, trying again to walk around Braydon. This time he shoved her back, pushing against her until she had to walk backwards otherwise she'd fall over. As Braydon stalked towards Chad, it was obvious the wolf was seeking an opponent, there wasn't much space for human logic now. "Don't shift Chad."

"B-but-"

"Don't." Miranda told him, positive that was the only thing holding Braydon back from attacking.

Coming closer, she dropped to her knees beside him and touching the wolf's side, was glad it didn't refuse her touch. Slowly her hands moved up and down the animals body. Getting higher towards its neck, Miranda found that one spot just behind the ear and the whine like growl that left the wolf made Miranda stop. He turned to look at her, and the second they made eye contact, Miranda glared at him.

"He isn't a threat you over grown lapdog!" Her hands went around his neck, to pinch his cheeks which then had the animal growling at her. "Enough!"

Miranda's word was final and the beast silenced. She boldly went closer and hugged him, not letting go until she felt the weight of his head bearing down on her shoulder and the short, sharp blasts of hot air from his nose evened out to deep and even breaths. Then Miranda let him go. "Can you turn back?"

With a final glance at Chad, the wolf moved down the hall and Miranda let her own breath out. "You okay?"

"Yeah." He answered, but Miranda saw the way the teens shoulders trembled and the way he was fidgeting with his hands. Without thinking Miranda hugged him, and ever so slowly, he dared to hug her back. It wasn't long until he let out a sob like gasp, still trembling against her as Braydon returned.

He only bothered to dress in a pair of sweatpants now, so what muscle definition he did have was shown off to Chad. It was a subtle display of dominance, an unspoken reminder of who was in charge - as if the boy needed one.

"I'm sorry. About. That." Braydon mumbled, the animal in him not sorry at all.

With the gentle care that a mother would possess, Miranda checked Chad over once more as he managed to pull himself together. He wasn't weak, he was scared and the show that he had just witnessed was meant to intimidate.

"She's your mate, I understand. I didn't mean to interrupt anything!" Chad quickly apologised, taking a step away from Miranda as Braydon continued to glare at him.

"Mate?" Miranda looked at Braydon, not understanding. She did remember Braydon calling his mother mate when telling her about his parents, but it wasn't something she focused on. Maybe it was the equivilant of girlfriend or something>

"Later," he answered simply, focusing on Chad. "You can't tell anyone Chad. No one can know about that!"

"I won't. I promise, I told you before! Your secret is safe with me." He promised, looking at Miranda as he silently begged her to believe him.

"Thats good to hear Chad." She smiled softly at him took Braydons hand in hers, "Why don't you watch TV and give us a minute?"

The teen nodded and was quick to flee, while Miranda took Braydon into her room and closed the door.

"That was really unnecassary, you nearly gave him a heart attack! He was terrified!" She scolded.

"I couldn't help it, he startled us, me- it took over before I even realised what was happening!" Braydon argued. "I really hope he keeps quiet about you knowing."

The truth of the matter was, he would do anything to keep her safe and he had no issues in doing what ever was necassary to do that.

"I think we can trust him Braydon. I don't know why, he just reminds me of you but what I would think you were like at his age." Miranda sat on the edge of her bed, eager to be lost in it as how tired she was caught up.

"Weak?" He growled.

"No, alone. Scared. Confused. I guess everything happens for a reason and I think you were meant to find him, well them. Fate works in mysterious ways!" She yawned.

Didn't Carolina say that too, that maybe he was meant to be with her to help them?

While Braydon got dressed, ready to take Chad home Miranda half watched him as her exhaustion won out and she spread out on her bed. Yet his mind was a whirlpool as the battle over what to tell Miranda about mates and Carolina. In the end, his wolf won and sitting on the bed beside her, now was the time to do it.

"Miranda, before you sleep, I have to tell you something." Braydon started, carefully reaching out to push back some of the hair that fallen over her face.

"I love you too." Miranda mumbled in response, letting out a content sigh before rolling more onto her side and falling completely asleep.

Braydon didn't have it in him to wake her so just sat there, looking at her as he had that first time out in the forest. Beautiful. A treasure he wanted for himself, to protect, to love. Never had he thought he would be where he was, with all he had and he couldn't have imagined anything better.

Leaving Miranda to sleep, it wasn't long until Braydon and Chad returned to Carolina's. Just like the first time he went there, the twins were in wolf form, in fact they all were except for Carolina and Amber. The pups welcomed him back like an old friend and just as Braydon went to leave, Carolina stopped him.

"Stay for dinner, the others are curious about you!" She begged.

Braydon hesitated, but Miranda was asleep and if he was going to spend time with them, what was wrong with staying for dinner? "Yeah, I guess I can."

"Great! My Dad is eager to meet you too, he will be back soon. He just went to get a few things and I hope you like pizza!" Carolina enthused, guiding him outside where the wolves now wrestled and played. Chad seemed to relax with Braydon sticking around, and after a bit of coaxing, the teen even shifted to join in the fun too.

It was nearly midnight when Miranda was woken by Braydon joining her in bed, and she kept quiet on the fact she had been up earlier to find him still gone. It did nothing to stop that paranoid feeling in the back of her mind and in the morning she was going to ask him all about the term mate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

573K 16.2K 34
I was never appreciated for who I was. I was tossed aside and left to rot for a mistake I made many years ago, a mistake that haunted me my entire li...
1.3M 14.9K 12
There was never a story of an alpha being rejected, it was unheard but he was the exception. Alpha Sean Dawson had everything in his life, a strong p...
286K 13K 44
Complete. Rootbridge Pack - Book one. She's on the run. He's living a normal life. She's being chased by shadows - haunted by memories. He's just ha...
5K 360 22
He knows his mate is dead. He never met her but he knows. No wolf wants to be without their mate but young Alpha Bane has lost his before he could ev...