The 14th Zodiac

By Ragnosk

Vincent thought he was a normal middle school student until a massive goat creature, called an Aspected, cras... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Epilogue

Chapter Seven

80 53 1
By Ragnosk

Vincent looked for Will in the dorm corridors. He knew dinner was going to be soon, and he had to get Theresa. He wanted to be sure to show them the picture he had and see if they get into observatory.

Will was found in the commons room for the boys. He was studying. Vincent hurried over to him. "Oh hey there you are, Vincent!"

"I just had a meeting with the Heads. They just wanted to tell me they study Aspected," Vincent explained.

"Well I could have told you that. Seems kind of a waste of time."

Vincent looked around to see if anyone was watching them. No one paid them any mind. Vincent slid the page out of his satchel. "Look at this, but be careful not to let anyone else see it." He passed it to Will, who was now confused.

Will took the page and unfolded it. His eyes widened as he took time to examine the picture displayed before him. "Is this...an Aspected?" he almost shouted.

"Shh, not so loud!" Vincent hushed his friend. "But yes, it is. Apparently people can become Aspected."

"This isn't in any textbooks. No one else has mentioned this before. Why has no one mentioned this?" Will whispered.

Vincent shrugged. "I don't really understand it myself. I just know that my Zodiac might be able to save these people."

Will leaned back in his chair. He folded the page and passed it back to Vincent. "How do expect to figure that out?"

"I was hoping there would be some lead in the observatory. If the Zodiacs can grant us these powers, wouldn't they have some sort of sentience?"

Will scratched his head. "You do have a point. None of the books I've read say that they aren't sentient beings of some sort. But where would they be? Outer space? I doubt our powers let's us breath out there."

"I don't know if anyone would be willing to give us more information, so that's why my mind went to the alleged observatory."

Will nodded. "That's reasonable. Students aren't allowed up there though."

Before Vincent could reply, a loud chime echoed through the room. It was dinner time. "Perhaps we can get Theresa's opinions on the matter," he told Will.

The Cancer Signed agreed. He packed up his books and papers. He began to lead Vincent out of the commons. All the other students had already begun heading downstairs to the food hall.

The two boys didn't see Theresa on their way to the food hall, so they assumed she was already inside. They both got food and began to look for their new friend. The room was filled with all the students talking to their tables which made it harder for Vincent to concentrate on pinpointing a possible voice.

Will spotted Theresa near the center of the room. He waved at Vincent and beckoned for him to follow. Vincent moved through the crowds of people to the table where Theresa sat. She was talking with several other Signed about their first days.

"So you were the only Pisces in all your classes, Tanner?" Theresa asked a boy across from her.

The boy nodded. "Matthew can attest to it. Though luckily for him there were plenty of Leo." The other boy named Matthew chuckled a bit as he took a drink of his water.

Vincent decided to enter the conversation as he sat down beside Theresa. "Is there any importance to have more of your sign in your classes?"

The Signed at the table all looked at him. Theresa shot him a smile and the others a nod, as to indicate it was alright to talk to him. Will sat on the other side of Theresa giving her a cheesy grin.

"Not exactly. Usually Signed of the same sign try to work together for an overall score of how each sign does every year," Tanner explained.

"They keep track of points or something?" Vincent asked.

All of the other Signed shook their heads. "Nothing like that," Matthew replied. "More like an overall rating on how well each Sign did in their classes, attendance, extra activities, and all that. Even how much those under a Sign get into trouble can attribute to it."

"That's interesting. I'm sure Ophiuchus hasn't been the top of that yet?" Vincent decided to state.

"Well when it's based on average and you are the only one for a Sign...I hear Ophiuchus has retained it for the last several years, and Cole wasn't even an official student yet," Tanner added.

Vincent sighed and shook his head. He thought it was crazy how seriously Cole's family seemed to take his sign.

"Hopefully this year it'll be Celestic," Theresa said.

"Well, we'll see," Will muttered.

Vincent knew he was thinking about having to sneak into the observatory. If they got caught, he could kiss that chance goodbye. The Libra girl looked back and forth between them. Vincent could tell she was trying to figure out what Will meant by that.

"What are you two hiding?" she questioned.

"Hiding? Nothing at *all*," Will said as he moved his arms in an exaggerated motion.

"We do want to talk to you after dinner, though," Vincent added, trying to be somewhat quiet. He didn't want to attract too much attention from Tanner or Matthew in case they wanted to join up with what ever they were going to do. He didn't want to risk getting anyone else in trouble. Plus more people meant more of a chance to get caught.

"Sure, where at?"

"Uh..." Vincent looked towards Will. Will shrugged and suggested the mixed commons. That was probably going to be the only place where they all could meet and not have as many eyes and ears on them.

"Sure, I'll see you guys in a few," Theresa said as she got up and left.

The other two boys looked at Will and Vincent. "It's a study for our combat class," Will quickly stated. Tanner and Matthew nodded. Vincent gave Will a thumbs up from below the other two's line of sight.

Vincent and Will said their goodbyes to the two that were at the table and headed out to meet Theresa. Most of the other students were still eating in the food hall so the hallways were relatively empty.

It only took a few minutes for both of them to reach the commons area. "Have your heard about Ophiuchus using darkness to get around?" Vincent decided to ask before they entered.

"I don't think so. It wouldn't surprise me. They are a more...magical...Zodiac."

"Magical huh?"

"Well Signed in general are sort of magical. Some more than others, I think."

Vincent nodded and pushed open the mixed commons. There were a few groups already sitting at several tables. The mixed commons had several bookshelves and computer areas. It reminded Vincent of a library. He made a mental note to email his parents about his first day.

"Hey guys, over here!" Theresa called out as quietly as possible.

She was sitting at a small table towards one of the corners of the room. A few of the non-head teachers sat throughout the room, probably just to make sure nothing would get damaged.

Vincent and Will both moved through the room until they got to Theresa. There they sat down facing her and the corner. "So what did you guys wanna talk about?"

Will looked to Vincent. Vincent nodded and pulled out the folded page from the textbook. "Before you look at this, I want you to keep an open mind on what we plan to do about it," Will explained, staying Vincent's hand a bit. Theresa gave them both strange looks but then nabbed the page from Vincent's hand. She quickly unfolded it and scanned over it.

"What is this even?" Her face looked disgusted.

"That's an Aspected," Vincent whispered.

Theresa shook her head. "Aspected are usually animals."

"Key term there is *usually*," Will replied. Theresa frowned.

"Apparently they have seen these Aspected, and they're shaken because they think Signed could have done something about it," Vincent added.

Theresa set the paper down. "That's horrible."

Vincent took the paper and explained what both Evans and the other heads had told him earlier. He then decided to tell them about his Zodiac. "I know we don't know much about Celestic or my powers, but I'm pretty sure I can see Aspected before they turn. The animals and creatures I've seen so far seem to glisten like stars. Even Signed give off a bit of a glimmer to them."

"Well that can come in handy," Will replied. "It is also really interesting. Have you told any teachers yet?"

Vincent shook his head. "Wasn't sure if they would believe me or not."

"Probably wouldn't without the 'proper research,'" Theresa mocked. "They have a brand new Signed right in front of them and no one seems to be willing to move passed the Ophiuchus train."

"Perhaps we can do something about that after we get more information on Celestic and Aspected," Vincent replied.

"So do you think the observatory would have more information on your Zodiac and these Aspected?" she asked.

Vincent nodded. "I don't know how to get up there though."

"Well I know this place sort of well already," Will chimed in. "I can probably get is to it. But when and hoping there wouldn't be anyone up there are completely different."

"The celebration!" Theresa almost exclaimed loudly. A few other students and teachers looked over their way but didn't pay too much mind.

"The celebration," she repeated but in a more whispered tone.

"What about it?" Vincent asked.

"All the students and teachers should be at it, leaving the observatory empty. Wouldn't that be the best time to go?"

Vincent and Will both smiled. "You're absolutely right!" Will said happily.

The three looked around to make sure no one else was listening. Vincent then said, "So we'll go up there when everyone is distracted with the celebration. But should be do anything before then?"

Will leaned in. "I think we should make sure what teachers go up there over the next few days. I think Vincent and I could do that with our schedule. What about yours?"

Theresa looked up in thought. She brushed blonde hair out of her face. "Probably not, but I'm sure I could be a lookout of some sort, perhaps."

"We can figure out who will do what later, because either of us could easily be the look out," Will explained, "You might be better than me looking for whatever lies up there."

Vincent nodded. He wasn't exactly sure what he needed to look for when they would get there, but he was hoping he would be drawn to it. If the school's research was all up there it was his best bet to find out more information.

"Well let's just see what each other can do in the meantime, and talk to each other here tomorrow night and Thursday night," Vincent said.

The other two nodded. They all exchanged phone numbers so they could text each other if possible. Luckily Will was in all of Vincent's classes, so they didn't have to worry too much about communication.

It wasn't too long after when the bell sounded for students to head to bed. Vincent knew it was going to be a long day tomorrow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 124 11
Lilian is a normal, high school senior. At least, until her eighteenth birthday. Then she gets a knock on her door by two big brutes who are here to...
101K 2.8K 34
The 'Signs in the Sky' are what keeps the world of Equatilia at peace. For many years, these signs had prevented for things going wrong in their wor...
2.2K 60 11
Fate. Secrets. Teenage angst. And of course the occasional life-threatening disaster. Welcome to the Three Realms. In the depths of space, there exi...
22 2 12
- After many months, Infected has finally been updated, and finished! I hope you enjoy reading this fully completed novel. - After their teacher leav...