His Future Is In The Past

Por Andremoi_88

Summary: With Ganon destroyed, the Champions gone, and Zelda crowned Queen, Link ponders his future and works... Mais

Chapter 1 - Remembering
Chapter 2 -Meeting with Dr. Purah
Chapter 3 -Sheikah Technology
Chapter 4 - Mipha
Chapter 6 - Zora's Domain
Chapter 7 - Time Travel Planning
Chapter 8 - Arrival in the Past
Chapter 9 - Victory and Celebration
Chapter 10 - Together

Chapter 5 - Hateno Village and Hyrule Castle

1.8K 29 11
Por Andremoi_88

Summary: Link returns to Hateno Village and reports to Purah on his Timeshift stone experience. He then pays a visit to Hyrule Castle to thank Zelda, stopping for a short visit with Impa on the way.

He awoke the next morning and began his journey back to Hateno Village. He was anxious to tell Purah what had happened in hopes it would further her research. So far, he hadn't noticed anything different in the present, except his sore shoulder, so with luck, the timeline was still intact, and no harm was done.

He returned to his house, freshened up, switched into the Zora armor, and headed toward the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab. Purah and Symin again received him warmly.

"So, Link, tell us how the Timeshift Stone worked out for you," said Purah.

"It worked perfectly as far as I can tell," said Link. "Mipha and I were alone the whole time we were together on East Reservoir Lake. There were no interruptions by anyone else. I had a little problem controlling my emotions at the outset, and Mipha sensed things were not quite right. But in the end, she accepted me, and we got along as well as we used to."

"Given your memory issues, how do you know she accepted you as well as she used to?" asked Purah.

At this question, Link blushed red and seemed at a loss for words. Purah noticed his embarrassment.

"Never mind, I think I understand," she said, laughing. "You don't need to elaborate. But this is encouraging news, and I think it means we are on the right track. Getting the Temple of Time to work is, in principle, like turning it into a giant Timeshift Stone that encompasses all of Hyrule in its range. Not to say that it is easy, but that's the concept at least."

"So, what happens next?" Link asked.

"For you, nothing," Purah answered. "For us, it means further work on understanding this technology. By the way, I have used the connection between the Sheikah Slate and the Sheikah Towers scattered around Hyrule to check for any timeline anomalies and am pleased to say I have not detected any. Thus, it appears your visit to the past did not have any significant effect on the present. We will let you know when we have something new to report."

He could tell they were eager to resume work, so he took his leave. He would have to wait again. But at least he had some new memories to enjoy. After sleeping overnight at his house, he awoke in an optimistic mood and felt he owed Zelda his thanks for her permission to use the Timeshift Stone. He hadn't visited her in almost a month anyway, so this seemed like as good a time as any. Epona was stabled right outside his house, and after feeding and watering her, he saddled up and began the ride to Hyrule Castle.

As usual on his rides from Hateno Village to Hyrule Castle, he would break his trip at Kakariko Village to rest Epona and get something to eat. He would usually check in on Impa as well if she weren't busy. He owed Impa so much for all her guidance and assistance when he first awoke memoryless from the shrine. It was only the awkwardness with Paya that made him uncomfortable.

The ride was pleasant enough as the weather was warm and sunny, with no hint of rain. The roads were safe now, and Link relaxed in the saddle, letting Epona steer her way along at a modest pace and giving her a gentle pat of approval and affection now and then. There was no need to hurry.

Overall he thought the visit with Mipha had gone very well, but he admonished himself again for not taking more time to think it through. He was all too eager and hadn't prepared himself well enough. As usual, he had rushed ahead, recklessly perhaps, his bias being toward action. But he had learned in dealing with enemies that planning was vitally important. It was important in dealing with friends as well.

He should have done a better job keeping his emotions to himself. He nearly ruined the visit. Thank Hylia Mipha had let it all pass in the interest of being together. But after all this time thinking about her, trying every day to remember more about her, and falling back in love with her, it was a lot to ask. He usually worked hard not to show them, but he did have feelings after all.

When he reached Kakariko Village, he dismounted and left Epona to graze while he continued into town. He strolled over to Impa's house first. There were still two guards on duty. Impa was a Yiga Clan target, though nothing much had been seen of any Yiga in quite some time. Both guards recognized him.

"Master Link, welcome! Lady Impa gave us instructions to admit you whenever you're here, so please go right on in."

"Thank you, Cado," said Link.

Link went up the steps and knocked on the door. He heard Impa's voice telling him to come in.

"Link, this is a nice surprise," said Impa. "Have you eaten yet? Paya and I were just about to have lunch. It's only some rice and fish, but you are most welcome. We have enough for three."

"Thank you, Impa. I would like that," said Link. "And hello, Paya. It's nice to see you."

"Hello, Master Link," said Paya. "It's nice to see you, too."

He noticed Paya had gotten over her stuttering in the past two years. Good for her! Paya handed Impa and him a bowl of rice and fish along with a set of chopsticks, and he thanked her. Then they sat down near Impa, and Paya served them both tea, then herself.

"What brings you here, Link," said Impa.

"Just stopping on the way to the castle," said Link. "How are both of you?"

"I'm getting ancient," said Impa. "If my sister Purah ever perfects that rune of hers, maybe I'll consider trying it."

"I am well as always, Master Link," said Paya. "Thank you for asking."

"Speaking of my sister, she told me some of what has been happening," said Impa. "So, you traveled back in time to see the Zora Champion Mipha."

"News certainly travels fast!" said Link. "Yes, I was able to see her by using a Timeshift Stone."

"You certainly are persistent," said Impa. "That's your nature, I know. But I worry about Purah and her work, and so should you! She can be a bit reckless sometimes. I warned her again about the danger of time travel, and she promised me she would be cautious. I gather you cannot yet find it in your heart to move on and accept all that happened?"

"I'm sorry, but no, I can't," said Link. "Not unless I know I've tried everything, and Dr. Purah says there is no hope. But it's not just for me. If our plan works, all of Hyrule will be better off."

"I pray your heart will find peace, Master Link," said Paya. "You have done so much for all of us. You deserve now to live your life in happiness. I pray you will find that happiness soon."

"Thank you, Paya," said Link. "I appreciate your prayers and always have. It is kind of you to care what happens to me. And I hope this prayer of yours is answered as well as were your prayers for our success."

They spoke some more of what had been happening. When the meal was finished, it was time to leave.

"Give my best wishes to Her Majesty," said Impa. "And, Link, I know I've said this before, but keep your hopes in check. It is fine to dream of wishes coming true, and we all do that. But it is wise also to consider that not all wishes do come true in life. Think of all you have and do not dream your life away."

"And be well Master Link," said Paya.

"Thank you both," said Link. "I understand, Impa. And I will say hello for you."

He found Epona, and they continued toward Hyrule Castle. Impa hadn't been too hard on him this time. She used to be much more forceful about the need to move on from his obsession with the past. Perhaps the fact Purah was making progress on time travel had tempered her outlook.

When he reached the castle, he was admitted at once and shown to a private room while Her Majesty was informed he had arrived. A few minutes later, Zelda entered the room. He dropped to one knee. He had a deep respect for the Hyrule Royal family, and he never wanted to presume upon their friendship to ignore that.

"Thank you, Link, for being so respectful, but please rise," said Zelda. "And now that you've shown the proper respect, come here and hug me. I missed you! And if you don't call me Zelda, I'm going to start collecting that fine I threatened you with!"

Link rose went over to her, and they hugged each other.

"It's good to see you, Zelda," said Link. "You're looking very well. Almost regal, I would say."

"Almost?" Zelda laughed. "Well, I'm still working on it. Come, let's sit down and talk. I have to thank you for arriving when you did. It was a good excuse to leave a rather boring meeting."

"I do know you're busy Your, uh, Zelda, and I appreciate you making time for me," said Link as they sat down. "I especially wanted to thank you for permitting me to use Purah's Timeshift Stone. And Impa says hello."

"I know how much Mipha meant, I mean means, to you, Link," said Zelda. "You have made that clear. And I don't know if Dr. Purah will ever accomplish what she's working on and convince us of its merits. I hoped your visit with Mipha would bring you some comfort and happiness and maybe even some closure. I still hope you can move on as the rest of us have. I'm only speaking to you as a friend now who cares for your well-being. Frankly, I had misgivings about allowing you to use the stone. I was afraid it would only serve to make matters worse, make it harder for you to move on. But in the end, I felt that no matter what, it would bring you happiness, and you deserve some happiness after all you've been through. We all owe you so much, Link. So, I could not deny you that."

"Thank you again," said Link. "It did bring me happiness. But it did also give me hope."

"Can you tell me what happened on your visit?" said Zelda. "Purah sent me a report that all had gone well, but no actual details."

"Well, um, I met Mipha at Ruta on East Reservoir Lake, and we talked and had lunch and swam around a bit," said Link.

"That's it?" said Zelda after waiting for Link to continue.

"Oh, Mipha also said to thank you for letting me visit," said Link. "So, technically, I'm doing that now, though she meant the 'you' of her time, of course."

"Yes, of course. Please go on," said Zelda after waiting some more.

Link started turning red.

"We did get a little personal, Zelda. I feel funny talking about it with you."

"A little personal?" said Zelda. "I would imagine you behaved like two people in love. You truly have a way with words sometimes! And what's wrong with your shoulder? You keep rubbing it. Are you hurt?"

"Oh, um, no, it's nothing, Zelda."

He had absentmindedly been rubbing where Mipha had given him her playful nip. It was something to remember her by, she said, the next time he returned to his Hylian Princess. And 103 years later, it was doing just that.

"It can't be nothing. It obviously bothers you," said Zelda. "Let me take a look. I insist."

Link pushed aside his tunic so Zelda could see the bruise. It wasn't bad, just a bit red. The skin wasn't broken. But the imprint on the skin looked like teeth marks.

"It's not too bad," said Zelda as she examined it. "But it looks like a bite. Did something attack you, a Keese perhaps? The size of the bite is quite large. I can't imagine you not realizing what happened."

"I wasn't attacked exactly. It's not important, Zelda. But yes, we behaved like two people in love," said Link.

"I see," said Zelda with a smile. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to embarrass you by prying. I know you've been spending a great deal of time trying to recover memories. I viewed your visit with her as a chance to learn more about you and her, and it succeeded in doing so."

"And I thank you for that," said Link. "No need to apologize. I just find it difficult to talk about."

"Then let's move on," said Zelda. "You're having dinner with me here and staying overnight in one of the guest rooms. I want to tell you about all the restoration work that's going on, and I want to learn all you've seen in your travels. Let's have a good time together, as we used to years ago. Pretend we're together at one of those stables we used to stay at, sitting around the fire, eating Hylia knows what, and talking late into the night. That's the 'you' I remember best and grew close to. I'm hoping the company and conversation will be like old times. But I promise the food will be better. And don't even think about turning me down!"

"I wouldn't dream of it," laughed Link. "I miss those days, too, though I think we both tend to remember the good times and not all our worries. But yes, your appointed knight could use some fun conversation with his other Princess. And since when have I ever turned down a good meal?"

The dinner was delicious. Zelda brought him up to date on all the construction going on, and he told her of his travels. People were pleased with Zelda as ruler, and he let her know that. Then, as it got later, they started to reminisce about their travels together, both before and after Ganon's defeat.

"I'm sorry you didn't see the stable owner's face, Lawdon, just after our victory when I got you a horse from Wetland Stable for our ride to Kakariko Village," laughed Link. "He noticed you weren't dressed for riding and asked who you were. I didn't know what else to say other than you were the Princess of Hyrule. His jaw dropped in amazement, and then he assumed I was joking and got angry. I wonder if he realized later, I was telling the truth? Do you remember that?"

"I remember you got me a nice white horse," said Zelda. "But it was fun sharing a horse with you until we reached the stable. It brought us closer after a hundred years apart. I didn't mind. Do you remember the time we stayed at Gerudo Canyon Stable, and the landlord thought you were my servant? I still feel bad about that. I was still a bit resentful of you back then."

"I remember, but I forgive you," laughed Link. "You gave me the hardest time near Gerudo Town, sneaking off. I was terrified something would happen to you."

"You cared for me that much?" said Zelda.

"No, I was just worried about all the trouble I would be in with your father back at the castle," teased Link, laughing.

"Very funny," laughed Zelda. "I know better. You were always there for me. I'll never forget that."

Finally, it was getting late. Link hugged Zelda and wished her goodnight. He wouldn't see her in the morning and would be heading home.

"Be well, Link," said Zelda. "And return soon. I always feel better after seeing you."

"I will," said Link. "You're an extraordinary person in my life, and I'll never forget that either."

Then he went to his room and slept. The next morning, he rode home but did not stop to see Impa on the way.   

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

136K 3.1K 59
Before the Great Calamity, Zelda and Link travel amongst Hyrule together. They must learn to tolerate each other on their journey. Zelda, having bare...
36.3K 340 5
(Breath of the Wild)(Strong Link x Mipha shipfic) After defeating Calamity Ganon, Link wishes to learn more about his past relationship with the late...
463K 15.2K 43
"You will aid the hero during his journey in defeating Calamity Ganon." That was the order that was given to you by goddess Hylia. Although the godde...
55.5K 659 46
《COMPLETE》 - Note: this series is under ongoing editing - Before the Calamity, there were no troubles to face, no hardships, and no sacrifices that...