A Thousand Encounters

Bởi LettingYouIn

He, Disciplined! She, a beautiful chaos! He, Stalwart! She, a wanderer! He, a soldier! Sh... Xem Thêm

Introduction
Chapter-1
Chapter-2
Chapter-3
Chapter-4
Chapter-5
Chapter-6
Chapter-7
Chapter-8
Chapter-9
Chapter-10
Chapter-11
Chapter-12
Chapter-13
Chapter-14
Chapter-15
Chapter-16
Chapter-17
Chapter-18
Chapter-19
Chapter-20
Chapter-21
Chapter-22
Chapter-23
Chapter-24
Chapter- 25
Chapter-26
Chapter-27
Chapter-28
Chapter-29
Chapter-30
Chapter-31
Chapter-32
Chapter-33
Chapter-34
Chapter-35
Chapter-36
Chapter-37
Chapter-38
Chapter-39
Chapter-40
Chapter-41
Chapter-42
Chapter-43
Chapter-44
Chapter-45
Chapter-46
Chapter-47
Chapter- 48
Chapter-49
Chapter-50
Chapter-51
Chapter-52
Chapter-53
Chapter-54
Chapter-55
Hola
Chapter-56
Hello there!!
Chapter-57
Chapter-58
Chapter - 60
Chapter- 61
Chapter-62
Chapter-63
Chapter-64
Chapter - 65
Chapter-66
Chapter-67
Author's Note

Chapter-59

4.5K 520 130
Bởi LettingYouIn

"When did you return?" 

Harshad asked as first thing as he took his head out of his warm quilt. Manik was standing in front of mirror setting his uniform. 

"It's hardly 4:30"

He said rubbing his eyes and then got up his bed. 

"Have you even slept at all?" He asked looking at a smiling Manik. Manik looked more than enliven while working on his wet hair. 

"Get ready, Harshad. It's Reveille time," Manik replied him calmly and just then bugle started to play. He simpered at Harshad as if flaunting his sense of time. 

"We've got an entire week in front of us and we, my friend, are gonna kill it," He said holding Harshad's shoulders. Harshad did try to understand what had gotten into Manik but then dropped the idea knowing it was almost impossible to read his moods. 

"Yeah, long week and no girlfriend at the weekend either," He murmured to himself as he started to take out his stuff from almirah! He kept mumbling to himself while Manik chuckled at his sullen friend. 

____________

Alarm went off for 4th time after snoozing and Nandini took her arm out of woolly quilt to cater the screeching monster. 

It was almost 7. She frowned and then kicked the quilt away. Lying uncovered for a minute or two, she stepped on the floor only to realize how she was somewhere new. Her eyes scanned her new room and a smile played on her lips. She rushed to undo the curtains and sunlight instantly kissed her skin as if was dying to be touch her. A glorious view of snowcapped mountains welcomed her and she felt like screaming in joy. She wasn't anywhere else but at her own darned home. She stretched her arms and walked towards living room which was a mess. She kicked the boxes in her way and made a way towards kitchen. 

___

"Well done today, Manik," Major Rubin patted Manik's back before leaving the ground. A content smile played on Manik's lips as he heard his officer. 

It was 7. 

"I am starving," Manik said after smiling to his content. He didn't know after how long he was feeling this calm and carefree. He knew , he just knew how everything was falling into place. He smiled thinking how she would be waking up and getting ready for her college now. He soaked into sunlight and it did feel like a fur ball after all the snowfall last night. 

"You back there killed it, Bro," Samit joined him with a smile. 

"Major Rubin was impressed, and  I must tell you it isn't easy to impress him," He added genuinely. Manik gave him a modest smile before setting his eyes on the snow-capped mountain range which was standing tall in sun. 

"Someone had a good night, I guess," He didn't forget to tease his goner friend. 

Manik's smile turned a bit controlled as he heard the coy in Samit's remark. 

"Hey, nothing like that happened, Okay! Don't get ideas just because I stayed back," He said trying to protect God knew what. 

 Samit laughed to his heart's content listening his shy friend trying to clear out things he needn't to. 

"You don't owe me an explanation, Manik. You are such an idiot," He said between his giggles. 

Manik glared him artificially and then looked away biting his lip. 

Last night was the best they had ever spent till date, he wouldn't deny it. But the reasons weren't somatic. 

She had asked him to dance her through the night and he did. They did laugh their hearts out at songs he tried to sing. He did steal a few brave kisses while she was blabbering about her vague future plan which started from raising horses and ended at rescuing dogs.

They had walked to each corner of their home just to bestow what they had. He prayed to unknown Gods who had recently made an entry in his life while she made sure they left an imprint of them everywhere. Their ways were always poles apart. 

  He was orderly and she a chaos!  

He cooked her noddles when she was famished after all the crazy dancing and she made sure she troubled him in every possible way. She slept in his arms when they sat in their room gazing the night-view through the big window. He didn't feel like closing his eyes knowing he wouldn't get to be like this for an entire week. He just kept kissing her hair time and again while she breathed sweet in her slumber. He got to know about her a lot in just two days which he couldn't in all these days when they were falling for each other. She was a terrible sleeper. Her legs worked a bit too much while sleeping. He was sure she hated sharing her bed. 

He laughed thinking about her amusing ways while entering into mess for his breakfast. Harshad smiled at him warmly and tapped the place next to him. 

____

Wearing the woolen slacks, she came running into kitchen to find something to eat. She found a plate covered with a lid near the microwave. She read the note stuck on it. 

"Heat it"

She kissed the note and found two sandwiches in the plate. She set the timer and ran to undo the curtains of living room. Last night, she didn't realise when she dozed off in his warmth. All she knew was she had never woken up to this beautiful morning. He did wake her up when he left for the academy in the morning. She was half awake when he kissed her lips tenderly at the door before disappearing in the grey of dawn promising that week won't be too long. She didn't even know if he had slept at all or not. All she knew that her kitten wasn't a mere kitten anymore. He was much more than she knew. He didn't dance like a headless chicken when she kissed him offhand. He didn't shy away when she tried to hold him close. He didn't leave a single chance kissing her hair when she talked about senseless things. 

Finishing her breakfast in peace, she locked the main door and gazed her truck in content. 

Life was good. 

_____________

Wednesday morning, well, days did fly. 

The vibe at Murthy mansion was nothing less than of war-zone. Daadu sat in chair at dining table while Madhav and Amisha walked there with some irrelevant talks. He looked at his sullen daughter in law who was literally trying to murder the toast with the fork. Daadu couldn't suppress his chuckle, after all Nandini hadn't got all her weird antics from nowhere. 

"Why don't you tell her off?" He asked her and she looked up at her father-in-law surprised. He didn't like her much and they hardly talked. 

"Why should I?" She answered and glared the so called best friend of her husband. 

"Your daughter would have," Daadu replied and her eyes instantly lost all the rage. She looked sad all of sudden. 

"See, if she would have been here, I am sure this creature...." He said looking at Amisha, "wouldn't have stayed this long in your house, Rishita."

Daadu was out of content these days, he had no drama left in his life and he needed some. He wasn't ashamed to create one if that could help him pass his days. 

"But she isn't here," Rishita uttered all lost in her thoughts. 

"You are her mother after all. Do live up to the reputation a little," He added and got up adding enough of spice at boring dining table. 

Rishita kept glaring Amisha while Madhav did steal some glances of his angry wife. 

"How's Rajan doing these days, Amisha?" Rishita asked out of sudden and vibe died a brutal death. Amisha gaped Rishita's face as if she had grown horns. 

Madhav cleared his throat trying to stop his wife. 

"I don't know," Amisha replied meekly. Rajan was her husband with whom she was on verge of a divorce. Everyone seemed to know but Rishita had chosen to pretend how she didn't know a thing. 

"Rishita," Madhav tried to cut the topic. 

"Nice joke, Amisha," Rishita quipped and then moved her gaze to meet his husband's. 

"Who else would know how her new husband is doing if not a wife," She stated the obvious, "You need to spend some time with him before he starts to drift away."

She was menacing. She had lived her entire life to please her thankless husband. Madhav had always taken credit of every good they made and had easily put the blame on her for everything untidy, for example their daughter. Rishita had no doubt left why Nandini was like this. She was sure she could never be enough for a man like Madhav. Their daughter was already gone and she guessed there's nothing she should be afraid to lose anymore. 

Daadu smiled under his mustache as if he heard his daughter in law spewing the required venom to shoo away the invader. 

"Would you shut up, Rishita?" Madhav said gritting his teeth as he saw his best friend turning pale. 

Amisha excused herself and ran to her room. Daadu looked the dramatic figure entering her room and shook his head. 

"Are you out of your mind?" Madhav yelled at Rishita and Daadu put the newspaper down listening that tone. 

"Didn't you know how things are between Amisha and Rajan?" He asked getting up. 

"She is already so hurt and here you are rubbing salt to her wounds," He added. 

"Hurt and she?" Rishita spoke and chuckled. 

"A person who is hurt because of her marriage doesn't sit in other's house and try to act like a wife," She murmured but loud enough.

"Grow up," Madhav said bitterly. 

"You grow up, Madhav," She yelled as she saw her husband going to Amisha's room. 

"You are a father of two grown up and instead of mending your family, you are busy in empathising the outsiders," She said menacingly. She had been quiet for too long. Earlier Nandini was the prey of all the frustration that family was capable to build but now when she was gone, ugliness couldn't be hidden. 

"It's been days your daughter is gone and you have no worry whatsoever. Sometimes I doubt if you ever loved our daughter," She added reaching him. 

"You are talking like mother of that brat," Madhav retorted knowing where it would hurt. 

"Maybe first time I ain't ashamed of the fact. If she was here, she would have..." Rishita started to say but got interrupted by Amisha's room opening. She came out looking as if she had cried. 

"Please don't fight because of me," She faked the innocence and Daadu gave her a stink eye. He was amused at the timing of drama queen. 

"But she isn't here and she won't ever be here," Madhav asserted and Rishita's eyes who had rage in them lost all the valour immediately. 

"And don't you dare talk to my friend like this again," He warned before walking away. 

Rishita's eyes got moist as she heard her husband. Daadu who was trying to get some got left with bitter in mouth. He tried to avert his mind onto newspaper again but failed. 

_________________

"Valour and Wisdom"

Colonel Singh quoted the motto of academy loud enough for every cadet. He was delivering a lecture before gentlemen cadets entered the toughest part of their training. GCs were in second semester of their training and now things were going to turn real serious. Colonel was addressing them before hand so that they knew whatever they went through till now was just the warm up. They were about to experience the most crucial phase of their training.  

"You have learnt team work, you are preparing to win wars. 'Service before self' isn't just another phrase you throw around to win applauds, it is a lifetime commitment. You don't belong to your families first, you belong to this nation and trust me when I say this, this service would require you to put everything behind at one or other point of time," He stated the truth. 

Manik took a deep breath taking in all the required air to fill his lungs with determination and strength. He had grown up with one dream and that was to become an army officer just like his martyr father. He hadn't learnt any other way of living. No one was there before to see if he was doing good or fumbling in his steps but now he had someone. He knew he got to make her proud. He would give each his bit to his service while his heart would be owned by the queen, always. 

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war," Colonel concluded his speech with  Norman Schwarzkopf's quote and hall got filled with clamour. Colonel smiled looking at motivated GCs and he knew that young lot was going to grow into some marvellous officers someday. 

______________

Nandini crashed on the messy couch as she got home. It was Friday and she couldn't tell how tired she already was. Life was not bed of roses, she got to know quite early. Entire week was nothing less than a reality so naked. She opened her eyes after few minutes to stare her untidy house. In all these days, she had seen face of her home for few hours only. Nothing was same. Her final exams were just around the corner and no one in college was helpful anymore. She wasn't the special case anymore. Her father had probably asked them all to trouble her in each way possible or maybe he didn't. Nandini was unsure and she guessed it didn't matter. She knew she didn't matter to her parents. 

The part-time job at Uncle Bernard's was relaxing yet tiresome. She could only work for few hours and she knew this wasn't going to bring her anything beyond bread and butter. She palmed her face and tried to hide herself from new responsibilities. 

It was day 5 without seeing him. She didn't break into academy anymore, he didn't break out either. They both didn't feel the need to be rebels anymore. They both owed a lot to Singhs and she was sure she wouldn't put Manik or Uncle Singh's academy at stake anymore.  

But what could she do about her feral heart who wanted to run to him every tiring day and seek some sleep. She sighed and gazed out of window to see her truck staring her. She knew what he was suggesting, she smiled wickedly. How could she deny its demand to drive towards academy!

____________

Manik looked at clear night sky and found so many stars gazing the earth. He was returning from mess after dinner. He sighed deep as he missed her more. This was tougher than he had thought. Not seeing her face everyday was like finding thorns on bed. He couldn't sleep without trying to sketch her chaotic face in his mind so that she visited him in dreams. But alas! She didn't feel like coming to his dreams anymore. Maybe because she was in his life now. 

"Just one day more, buddy," Harshad said putting his hand on Manik's shoulder. 

Manik smiled at his friend who knew him so well. 

"Imagine, you have got a home to go. At least show some excitement," Harshad tried to buck his friend up. 

"Yeah!" Manik uttered and sighed in peace, "A home for the first time in my life." 

"Sounds like a dream," Manik said and Harshad shook his head smiling. His friend had finally become vocal about what he felt.

"I never had a home. The day she came gatecrashing my life, I got one," He said dreamily. Manik sat on the step of staircase while Harshad's eyes found a figure in dark approaching them. 

"I think she has just gatecrashed again," He spoke unsure and Manik's eyes didn't waste a second to find a contour coming towards him. His lips parted a bit and eyes went a little wide as he tried to register the reality. 

His feet worked towards the approaching contour in the dark while his heart prayed that it was her. He could see that figure's steps fastening and a smile played on his lips. He ran across the pavement and there she was in her long sweater. Her lips formed a smile so new and he smiled more. Covering the distance, he grabbed her while she encircled his neck to sway down.

"Are you even real?" He asked as she tightened her grip around his neck. He could hear her desperate gasps. She didn't speak anything for a some time. 

"I missed you," She mumbled in his hair and he sighed aloud. He had missed her talking. He had missed walking. He had missed her gatecrashing his life every second night. 

"You've no idea," He confessed as well. 

Putting her down after a while, he looked at her chaotic face. She looked ached and relieved at the same time. He could gaze that face all night. 

But she had hardly practised patience. 

Stepping on his sport shoes, she pecked his lips and let her lips linger there.

"Five days and you have no idea," She uttered over his lips trying to stay at level of his face. His arm encircled her waist and lifted her up a bit so she could have what she wanted. 

"Five days and you have no idea, Murthy," He repeated and she hugged him tight. His lips kissed side of her head. 

"I wonder what stopped you for this long," He asked complaining. 

"You," She murmured over his lips as she parted. Manik narrowed his eyes as if condemning the notion. 

"I won't ever screw anything about you but you. You need to make it up to me for the pain, Malhotra," She was demanding. He giggled and groped her lips in his for a quick kiss. He swore in his mind as he tried to contain the anxiety. She was fire and he didn't think he could ever be capable enough to contain her. 

"I haven't eaten anything but instant noddles in dinner since you are gone," She spoke about food out of nowhere owing to her stomach which was growling audibly. She had no idea how not to lose it in front of him. She just knew she needed him to cosset her in every way possible. She needed instant love and care, and this time she couldn't wait. 

"You didn't have your dinner, right?" He asked sternly. 

She shook her head like a deprived kid and he tried not to scold her for being careless. 

"You are learning some basic cooking this Sunday, Nandini," He commanded before putting her down. 

Holding her hand, he grabbed her somewhere while she looked around. There were cadets around and they all gaped them with illegible expressions. 

"Nandiniiii," Samit squealed in glee seeing her there. He was standing at door of mess. 

"Wait," He said as Manik dragged her inside. 

"Manik," Samit reached him and tried to stop him. 

"You know na, commoners aren't allowed in academy at this hour," He whispered in his ear. 

Manik scowled at him and then proceeded towards the kitchen. 

Nandini felt like laughing as she read the jealous faces in the mess. She could do it daily if Manik promised how he won't freak out. It would be so much fun, she could bet. 

"Kaka," Manik called the cook. 

Kaka looked at the duo in disbelief before walking to them. 

"Manik, they will rusticate you," He was horrified. 

"They won't," Before Manik could answer, Nandini did. 

"Singh Uncle knows I am here," She revealed. 

 "Does he?" Manik asked somewhat taken aback. 

"You didn't trespass?" He asked and Nandini felt like laughing. His tone was somewhat disappointed. 

"No, I simply called him and he said I can come and see you," She divulged. 

"I thought you have trespassed," He spoke a bit lowly. 

"Do you miss the devil-me, cadet?" She asked coming dangerously close to him. He looked around to find Kaka returning to his chores. 

"Sadly, I do," He confessed and walked to Kaka. 

Nandini picked up a tomato to munch on it while trying to peek out of serving window. She could see boys lurking around to find out what was happening inside. She was sure Manik was going to be asked a lot once she was gone. 

"Here," Manik returned with a plate full of food. She could tell how he thought she was a horse looking at the flooded plate.

"Who is going to eat all of it?" She asked somewhat terrified. 

"Of course You," He answered gesturing her to take he chair. 

"You haven't eaten proper food in five days. You will fall sick, Nandini," He said taking the chair across the small table. 

"I will surely fall sick If I overeat. You cannot made me eat food of five days at once, Silly Malhotra," She stated in horror. 

"It's half of my diet for one meal. Stop nagging and eat it," He too stated the fact. 

"I am not a horse like you," She said trying to figure out what to eat first. 

Manik huffed and puffed while she made faces looking at the military diet. He waited while she tested his patience. 

"Fine," He said before pulling the plate towards him and making a bite for her. She leaned in her chair as if waiting for him to feed her. Shaking her head as if some triumph music was playing, she gazed her man who was mumbling something under breath. 

He succeeded at feeding her quarter of food and he had to finish the rest of it. He was sure he was going to have an upset stomach next morning. Having two meals at a time wasn't easy task, after all. 

____________________

Madhav Murthy stood in front of a property while a man revealed the details to him. His eyes kept scanning the cottage of Nandini while his ears registered the details. 

"So she doesn't have full ownership of it, yet," He asked the agent. 

"No Mr Murthy," He answered, "She has just made the down payment."

Madhav walked towards the cottage and opened the gate. It churned while he walked towards the door. He turned the knob and not to his surprise, Nandini had forgotten to lock it. He entered it and switched on the light. He could see the literal mess and his lips formed a simper. It was worst than a store room. He had come there to see what was keeping Nandini still away from home. He got to know through some links that his daughter has bought some property. 

In the name of food, he could see packets of instant noddles sprawled over the counter. 

She hadn't been eating well. 

His mind deduced it as first thing before his ego replaced the concern with a sadist satisfaction. He knew his daughter was good for nothing and now she was looking like someone who was going to lose miserably, he could feel his ego fattening. 

He walked to the only room in the house and saw her cloths spilled over her bed along with her course books. 

It was her last year of graduation

He registered the fact and before a father could worry over how his daughter was pulling it, an egoist retreated. He couldn't care less. All he knew that it was battle and he was the one who would win it when she would return to him accepting that she was wrong all this while. She would accept it how it was a mistake to leave her father for a silly cadet. 

He knew what he needed to do. He would make sure she never owned this house and he knew how to do it. He wouldn't let her ruin his reputation by living with that cadet. He was not going to retreat from this war. 

He took a last look at the shabby place before he walked out. Closing the door, he turned around and his feet couldn't move. 

Nandini stood at the gate looking at him with something which could make him lose this battle at the moment. He felt his throat going dry while his feet got jammed to his place. 

She didn't look like someone he knew. 

____________

______________________

Unedited*

Do leave your feedback. I love reading your comments and treasure them all.  💖💖💖💖

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

138 50 24
A sophisticated commander and the newest army recruit are the subjects of this tale, which follows them as they gradually travel the road to love. Bu...
916 0 22
this is from one of the long stories I wrote, but I have so much more to put in so here I am going to finish it.
45.4K 788 19
𝙰 𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚍𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚋𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚊 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚊𝚕 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝,𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚠𝚑𝚘...
273K 23.7K 62
Yash Purohit- 27 year old CA, Carefree, Bindass, Jolly, happy Go person. Once you meet him, he will ensure your comfort. He gives his time to family...