Write to Rank Entries

By Cal1018

A collection of Write to Rank entries. Dedicated to everyone who participated! More

White Belt Entry: 1
Yellow Belt Entry: 2
Orange Belt Entry: 3
Green Belt Entry: 4
Blue Belt Entry: 5
Purple Belt Entry: 6
Red Belt Entry: 8
Black Belt Entry: 9

Brown Belt Entry: 7

29 6 15
By Cal1018

Hank knocked on the shoulder of my bulletproof vest. "You ready, Ammon?"

I punched my chest. "More ready than you," I said, laughing.

He nodded. "Good. I hear this one's gonna be a tough one. Profilers have been trying to crack this case for 48 hours straight. In that time, the guy's kidnapped and killed 3 people. There's always random strands of hair on the victims too. Probably from the kidnapper."

"But they've figured out who it was?"

Hank held up a hand. "Kind of. They're still trying to find where he'll be and keeping his victims."

Hank, the other agents and I stepped out of the locker rooms. We meandered into the bullpen with all the profilers and local cops.

SSA Eiler strode out of the interrogation room, waving a piece of paper above his head.

"Frank Winslow has a farm that's under his grandpa's name. That's where he'll be keeping Stephanie Cooper."

I leaned over to Hank. "Stephanie Cooper?"

"The latest victim," he said, lips barely moving. "He's had her for five hours. They figure she's still alive."

I nodded and returned my attention to the profiler.

"Please, be careful with Winslow. He's already escaped law enforcement twice already but he will not get away this time. Here's a picture of him.

"He has a God complex, meaning he thinks he cannot fail. He believes also it is his job to decide who lives and who dies. All of you have been trained in interrogation. Use these skills to lure Winslow in. Thank you."

Ten minutes later, we were down a dirt road in the black SUVs. I was in the passenger seat of one with Hank driving.

"Hank, do you ever worry this will be your last case?" I asked in the quiet.

He breathed out hard. "Yeah, every time. Especially now. Kiera just had our first boy. I'm looking forward to watching him grow up. If I die, he'll never know me. What about you?"

"I am always worried. I prerecord a message every time we leave on a case. Just so my wife and kids have something if I die."

Hank glanced my way and then looked back at the dark road. "That's a good idea." He pulled his phone from his pocket. The screen lit up at his fingerprint. "Make a voice memo and hit record for me, would you?"

I took the phone and pushed the red record button. I nodded to Hank. He took a deep breath. "Hey, Kiera, Lily, Mylie, Johanna. And hey Teancum, my little man! Just want you to all know that you're the light of my world. I don't know what I'd without you. Always remember I love you."

He nodded at me to turn it off. I handed the phone back to him and he pocketed with a quiet, "Thank you."

We were silent the rest of the way.

Hank turned the lights off once we reached the long driveway. The of SUVs and police cars inched its way up to the old farmhouse. Hank cut the engine and climbed out. I followed suit and quietly closed my door.

I pulled my handgun from its holster and flipped the flashlight on it.

The FBI white lettering on everyone's vests glowed in the night. We carefully walked up to the porch. Hank signaled for me to go around back. I followed the house to the backyard. The whole house was dark but when I got to the back, light from the open barn door spilled out.

I pressed my radio. "There's a barn out back." I saw a dark figure move across the doorway of the barn. I crouched quickly and relayed, "There's someone in there."

"Got it," came the reply in my earpiece. I walked slowly to the barn and other FBI members appeared at my side. Hank took the lead. We carefully and silently surrounded the barn.

Hank came close to me and muttered. "There is no stopping this madness, eh?"

I grinned. "This job never gets boring."

Hank hollered, "Frank Winslow, we have you surrounded. Come out with your hands up."

No one did. Hank took another step forward. "Frank?" Only the sound of breathing from our men. I looked at Hank and he nodded. We walked into the barn. I held my gun in front of me.

We walked into the barn and were met with a surprising sight. Frank Winslow was tied up against a beam outside a horse stall. I walked forward. "Frank, is that you?"

He nodded fervently, a dirty gag in his mouth. Hank approached him. He nudged him with his boot. "Are you tied up?" Frank nodded again. Hank put away his gun and got out his handcuffs. He untied him, then cuffed him. He yanked Frank to his feet then pulled out the gag.

"Frank Winslow, you're under arrest for the murder of 13 people-"

"Hank, what are you doing?" I asked. Hank looked at me like I was insane. "I'm arresting him."

"Hank, he was tied up. It can't be him."

"I respect your opinion Ammon but did it occur to you he did this to throw us off?"

"Yeah, I know but-"

"Then step aside agent."

I threw up my hands and walked out of the barn. As soon as I stepped out, the thought came, "Where was Stephanie Cooper?"

I turned around, "Hank-" I was met with a face full of fire. I was knocked off my feet by an explosion. I went rolling in the dirt as the barn went up in flames. As soon as I stopped, I staggered to my feet, ears ringing. I've got to get Hank. I stumbled into the barn but another agent grabbed me. "Ammon, you can't go in there."

"But there's still..."

"We're getting them, don't worry." I looked into the agent's weathered face. He's one to talk. He's clearly worried. My legs buckled underneath me but the man lowered me carefully to the ground.

After a second I shook my head and stood. The ground quit rolling as I remembered my mission. I held myself in place as police and now firemen ran into the burning barn. My face began to itch and I reached up a hand to rub it. My hand came away warm and sticky. I tenderly felt my face, tracing the gash shrapnel must have created.

A fireman pulled someone out of the flames. I ran forward, hoping it was Hank and that he was okay.

I looked into my friend's blackened face. "Hank?" The fireman ignored and yelled, "Can we get a paramedic?"

I knelt down by Hank. I felt for a pulse. Nothing. My fingers left red stripes on his neck. I shook him. A paramedic came and began CPR. A second explosion rattled y existence and I collapsed beside my friend.

***

I walked with AS A Eiler down the hall to the interrogation room.

"I'm sorry you can't be with your friend right now," the agent said as we walked. "After last night, I'm surprised you made it out relatively unscathed."

I nodded. "It was a miracle only Frank Winslow died. And Hank... well, he's tough. He'll get better."

Agent Eiler smiled. "He a strong one. And thank you for being willing to join me. You're one of our best interrogators that we have. After we found Ms. Cooper in the farmhouse, we've been waiting until you could come help us get some detail through her."

I pushed open the door to the interrogation room. Several other people were standing at the one-way glass, watching Stephanie. Agent Eiler held open the door to the second room for me. I walked in a seated myself across the table from her and Eiler sat next to me.

"I hope you're feeling well?" Eiler said. Stephanie nodded and said, "Much better after some sleep, thank you."

I looked at her compassionately. "Ms. Cooper, I understand that what you went through was traumatic but we would like to ask you some questions about your ordeal."

She pursed her lips then bobbed her head.

I opened the folder that Eiler brought in. "Did Winslow ever mention kidnapping anyone else?" Stephanie scrunched her nose. "I don't think so."

"Do you ever participate in high-risk behavior?"

"What's that?"

"Anything that puts in contact with shady characters."

Stephanie looked taken aback. "So you're saying that this was my fault? Because I'll tell you now, I could never be kidnapped. This isn't my fault. It's Winslow's.

I looked at Eiler and gave me a confused look. Finally, he said, "We're not saying that it was your fault. We're just wondering if something you did put you in contact with Frank."

Stephanie took a deep breath and smiled. "Of course. Sorry."

"But you were kidnapped," I pointed out. She opened her mouth to argue then closed it. "I know," she said.

***

I closed the door behind me and gave Eiler a weird look. "That was the most interesting interview I have ever done," I said. He nodded. "She doesn't fit the profile of the other victims at all."

"Frank Winslow must have been devolving ad didn't go with his typical type," I said with a shrug. We walked back into the bullpen. "I going to finish the paperwork on this case," Eiler said. "Thanks for your help. You better go visit Hank."

"Yeah, I think I will." I grabbed my jacket on my desk and slipped it on. As I was getting my things together, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Stephanie Cooper slip out the doors. I looked up as the door shut quietly. I walked quickly to the door. Why was she leaving so soon? I didn't think they were done with her yet. I opened the door and looked around. Stephanie disappeared behind the corner.

I followed her but when I went around the corner, she was gone. I laughed to myself for being so concerned. I'm sure they let her go. I walked back to my car. I needed to go see Hank. I started the car and drove to the local hospital.

***

I knocked on the door quietly. Hank's wife opened the door. "Ammon! It's great to see you. Hank was just asking for you."

"How is he?"

She gave a strained smile. "He gave us a scare there for a little bit. But after surgery, he was doing much better. I'll let you talk to him now." She slipped past me into the hallway. I stepped into the room and carefully closed the door.

Hank was sitting back in bed, bandages, and stitches covering him.

"Do I really look that bad?" he joked. I breathed out a laugh. "Yeah, you're horrible."

Hank's face turned serious. "Did you get Stephanie Cooper?"

"Yeah, she's good. She was sitting in the house. Hardly even hurt."

"Is she still in custody?"

I blinked. "Custody... well we interviewed her and she just left the station."

Hank sat up, wincing. "Find her."

"Why?"

My cell phone buzzed. I pulled it out to silence it but a message from Agent Eiler caught my eye.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

514 97 9
Write to Rank 2
553 72 9
From the contest Write to Rank, a competition about action writing with challenges every week. This is my entry on the contest. Hope you enjoy it. Re...
577 77 14
"adomania": the sense that the future is coming too quickly random one-shots to make (or ruin) your day WRITE TO RANK 2021 CONTEST: Round winners - a...
282 55 10
A collection of entries for the Write to Rank 2 competition. Witness the bastion of Shadow City as its heroes attempt to protect their borders from e...