Where She Belongs

Av ellarose12

Looking at the motivational poster, I couldn't stop myself from snorting at the ridiculousness of it all. 'Wh... Mer

Authors Note.
Gone.
Back Home.
Sneaking Out.
An Offer.
Midnight Meetings.
Unexpected.
Feelings.
Keeps Getting Better
Stay.
A New Friend.
A Dance.
David.
Mine.
Merry Christmas.
The Truth About...
Forgiveness
Happy New Year
History Repeating
What Now?
A New Start
Greedy.
Hero.
Don't Look Back.
Antonino
City of Angels
Graveyard Meetings.
Little Hybrid.
Where She Belongs

A Warning.

7.3K 407 21
Av ellarose12

It was nearly midnight and sitting on my bed, I stared at my phone as if it held all of the answers. Perhaps it did. Perhaps fate or destiny or my guardian angel might now decide to call and tell me what to do; or at least hint at it. It hadn't happened yet and I didn't think it ever would although slowly, some things were becoming clearer now. 

I never fitted in among the wolves and pack because I wasn't like them. I was vampire. For years I had wished for a place to truly belong, to have people that just got me and I could be my true self with - if I ever worked out who Samara Franklin actually was. Even with my human friends I wasn't like them. We had enough things in common, they didn't judge me like the people from home did and so I found them easy to be around. But the feeling I always had, that something was different, that this wasn't where and who I supposed to be had never left. I drank too much to try and silence it. I kept myself separated from those in my life so it couldn't constantly remind me that everything was wrong. 

I ignored it. 

I fought it. 

Then I met Aiden and the walls that kept this feeling caged, fell apart releasing it out into the world. It had become a force of its own and tore apart everything I knew and trusted. The only part of my life untouched by it all was work and really, if not for having the boss I did and Hannah keeping the peace, would have also imploded on itself by now. She had submitted a leave application as me a few days ago which gave me two weeks off for personal reasons. I knew I'd have to give her some kind of explanation eventually, but not now. Not today.

Picking up my phone I created a message to send to David. Then cancelled it, before doing it again. I left the open screen in front of me, wondering again if my phone was actually some kind of secret magical device and it would just come up with the right words on its own. Maybe there was some kind, ghost summoning thing Brianna could do that to it so the stupid thing could work out my stupid complicated life. I looked after it well. There wasn't any chips or cracks on the screen and I generally kept it well charged. My phone owed me a lot.

While I had willed the words to appear, Aiden had come in and positioned himself behind me. Like a great big blanket he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in close, as I wished I could just melt into him and disappear to where it was safe, warm, familiar. Leaning back against him, my eyes closed.

"Tell me what to do." I sighed.

"I can't do that." He whispered by my ear.

"You were right about everything else so far, so just tell me."

"It doesn't matter what I think, because you will be the one to live with the decision you make. I've tried to stay neutral, failed, but tried, as I won't let this come between us. I am here for you, no matter the outcome, but that has to be of your own doing."

"So suddenly your Switzerland in all of this? You hate him and want him dead." I snap, unsure where the anger had come from. 

Aiden shrugged slightly. "I told you I tried to stay neutral. I still am."

"If he lives, you will be okay with that. You won't resent me or still have your own mission of revenge to take him down?"

"Yes, I'll be fine with it." He answered simply.

"I don't believe you." I huff, slipping out of his hold to turn and face him. 

His face was set like stone and as his eyes met mine, I had to look away as I knew that was the wrong phrase to say. I did believe him. He wasn't the kind of guy who would tell me what to do. He said his bit, told me his thoughts, but he never actively worked against or stopped me. Even when I came clean about my little visits with David, lied about the course - kind of, defended him after the werewolf attack; Aiden made sure I knew his thoughts and he left the rest to me. He trusted me to make my own decisions, even now, I knew without having to ask what he wanted to do, but he wasn't pushing them onto me. He wouldn't change my mind or make me do anything that wasn't of my own doing.

"If that was the case, after the drama the other night I wouldn't have just walked out of there with you Samara. Brianna was nearby, I would have called her and she would have taken you away. It would all be over now. Believe that." He stated so matter of factually, I nodded.

"I know. I'm sorry." How did I actually deserve him? "With your past, I have no right to-"

Aiden sighed, shuffling closer once more he tilted my chin up so I had to look at him only now our noses were nearly touching. Instead of kissing me as I had hoped he would, his forehead came down to rest on mine as he leaned forward. For a second I was confused as he reached behind me, until he sat up straight once more and my phone was now between us.

"Enough Sam. Don't think about it. I am going to put this over on the table, unless you're going to use it to make a call?" He waited.

I hesitated.

He raised an eyebrow questioningly before giving a tiny shrug and then went to stretch across to the nightstand. In seconds I had snatched it from his hand and holding my breath, I opened it up and hit call.

Don't think. Just do.

I breathed out slowly as it started to ring and nervously I looked over to the alarm clock I never bothered using as a stupid beep was never going to get me out of bed in the mornings. It kept ringing until suddenly it didn't and with no voicemail, the call disconnected.

"He didn't answer." I tell Aiden, knowing he already knew that.

"Maybe he'll call you back."

"Maybe." Once again I was left sitting and staring at my phone, and the second it lit up with David's name on the screen I dropped it. Aiden calmly picked it up and handed it over, and sliding my finger across the screen, I put it back to my ear. "Hello?"

Silence.

"Dad?" I coughed, the word feeling strange now for some reason. "David?"

"Yes Samara?" He finally spoke, sounding less than impressed than hearing from me.

"How, how are you?" I ask, nervously glancing at Aiden who simply took my free hand and kissed my knuckles.

"Why are you calling?"

A flicker of doubt bloomed in my stomach as well as being unable to stop myself from feeling annoyed that he wasn't happier or relieved to hear from me. I didn't think what happened would cause this coldness from him after everything else that had gone on. I wasn't in the wrong, he was.

"I wanted to talk to you." Thankfully my nerves leave me, and I sound more like myself.

"You did?" He sounds doubtful.

"I'm sorry how things ended."

"Me too. I didn't want to use you Samara, not like the others or do anything like what happened in the past." The charm was back. David spoke so smoothly, firm and steady, it was hard not to believe him. "I'm sorry that I came across that way."

"I've been in contact with Antonino. He wants me to get you to our family's mausoleum tomorrow night and promises to leave me and Aiden alone if I do it." I blurt out.

Instantly I can feel the sweat on my palms and I quickly stand up, pacing back at forth at the end of the bed as all I get in return is silence.

"Why didn't you tell me you didn't trap my brothers that night? You were really only at the house to scare my parents, weren't you?" I demand, remembering what the old vampire had said.

"Yes and no. I was aware something was happening so used it to my advantage." He admitted. Was that guilt I heard? "Where was he when this was happening?"

He was clearly Aiden and the growl to his words made me wonder if he really did care.

"He came to me in a dream. He made it clear he had used my brother to get some of his blood."

More silence.

"And your mother, she's alright?" David asked after a minute or so.

"Yes."

"Why are you telling me this? Why not just let me walk into a trap?"

"Because you're still my father. Despite everything, I couldn't do that to you." I admit. I stop pacing, and look at Aiden almost scared at what I'd find, but true to his word he appeared completely neutral to the whole thing yet his brows were dipped in concentration and not once did I feel his eyes off me.

I couldn't do it, I couldn't talk to David like this around him. It was as if I was rubbing their history in his face and that I owed him more loyalty regarding everything. Was I being selfish, caring for him this way when David was the reason Aiden had lost his family? Should I be seeking revenge on his behalf?

"I don't know what do." I say softly, unsure if the words were for Aiden or David.

"I have no doubt he will not honour your agreement, so for you, I will be there." He paused. "I promise."

David ends the call and I keep my back to Aiden.  "He said he is going to be there tomorrow."

"You warned him, he knows this was Antonino's plan and he has agreed to turn up. What ever happens now Sam is out of your hands." I nod, and let him pull me back down onto the bed. "I do not believe this is going to be as black and white as we'd like it to be, and Brianna is working on a few things with the coven."

 "And the chances of us just walking away unharmed are?"

"Possible if he does as Antonino wants, but I'm not relying on either of them to play by the rules." He had a point. It would be stupid to trust either of them.

Then I had an idea. "What about Charlie?"

"What about Charlie?" Aiden tensed.

"Maybe he could help us?"

"You don't ever make deals with the fae Sam." He warned.

"I wouldn't make a deal. Just, talk. He always seems to know everything so maybe he'll say something helpful?" I'm grasping at nothing and we both know it.

"Then he'll know what you're doing and end up tricking you into a deal of some kind wont he?"

"He seems to nice to do that." I shrug.

"He really isn't."

"We're going to go see two vampires, one of which is probably going to be loaded up with a bunch of black magic and who knows what else, as well as another that is super old and powerful. Why can't we try and give ourselves some better odds? Surely it won't hurt to just, see him?" Call it gut instinct, but the bartender had always been nice to me and Gwen when we'd sneak out underage or even when we'd been legally able to be in his bar. Even at Christmas he had been helpful-ish. What did we really have to lose?

Aiden pinched the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes as he muttered a few not so nice words under his breath which only made me smile as it meant he agreed with me.

"We go to LA. We might catch him in a good mood there, he has family who live in town that could keep softened up for us. Fae don't do mercy, but Charlie is also as unpredictable as they come. " He huffed, picking up his phone.

"How do we get there? Why not find one of his bars nearby? We wont be able to get flights and-" I wonder and the burst of light in the room shuts me up.

"No." Brianna declares as she steps into the room. "And by the way, I am not your personal travel attendant!"

"Come on Bri. Don't be like that." Aiden smiles at her as he puts on a tshirt.

She crosses her arms and shakes her head. "No."

"Sam's idea. Not mine."

Her eyes narrow in on me now. "Oh Sammy girl, no. Involve that old fae and who knows what trouble will follow. Last time Aiden got involved in any of their business, he nearly died, again."

"Which is why we have to go." Aiden mumbled. "If nothing else, he owes me one."

"Um, you have a  deal with the fae?" I ask, getting up to stand next to Brianna. "What happened to-"

"No. Not technically. I just, helped out once and if you're caught out and he takes advantage of this situation, I'll just remind him of our history which should get you off the hook." He says it all so easily, like it's just the most completely normal thing in the world to be discussing.

"What history?" I look between them.

"Never mind." Aiden grabs his jacket. "You going in your pj's?"

I look down and realise he's right, so quickly get up and go into the wardrobe to find something to wear.

"She's not going anywhere." Brianna snaps. "I'm busy working on your protection charms and the coven can't really spare anyone at the moment as it is!"

"Yeah, but it won't take long and you know you want to test yourself and break through one of his barriers to get us inside." Aiden winks at me as he passes, heading into the bathroom.

"I do not!" She threw her hands up in frustration. "I already know I can and don't think I don't know what you're doing Aiden!"

"Sam has a point. Look at what we're up against and as if they're going to be fair. If we can get a bit of extra help or be told something that will put things on our side, what's the harm in trying?"

I listen to them argue, noting Aiden doesn't quite sound himself and also, why the sudden change of heart when he too was against going to Charlie?

I come out as the pair go silent. Brianna has on her mean face as she stares him down and seemingly unaffected by the fury of the little witch in front him, Aiden just looks bored.

"You are up to something aren't you?" She finally says, looking uncomfortable as I stand beside Aiden.

"Will you take us to the bar?" Aiden asks, no longer sounding as playful as he had seconds before and I realise Brianna's right, he was up to something.

"Fine. Let it be known I am against this and will not be bailing you out of any trouble." She declared, turning away from us a portal opened with a few waves of her hand while mumbling under her breath. "Because there is always trouble when he goes to LA. City of angels my ass."

I didn't get a chance to ask her what she meant by that, because suddenly Aiden had my hand and I was being dragged through the portal, leaving Brianna behind.

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

7.1K 614 50
I've lived alone for eight and a half years, running from my past. That's a hell of a thing for a shifter to do. Eve Rutledge moves to a new town eve...
25 0 8
A conspiracy hidden in lies. A world being threatened to change. An Alpha who can't believe the rumors. David lives in a world that he hadn't known e...
2.6M 87.1K 46
"Shift." His voice hit me like a serrated blade as he stepped out of the crude semicircle of hardened wolves that had formed around me. I pushed mys...
302K 14.8K 30
Sarah Aspen was 18 when her tribe, the Amara Tribe, was attacked by Werewolves. Her tribe was right outside of Austin, Texas... Right where the West...