Lydia | ✔️

By tayxwriter

"Did you punch him in the face?" "No!" She laughed. "That's not the Lydia I know," Carter shook his head, st... More

Cast
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10)
(11)
(12)
(13)
(14)
(15)
(16)
(17)
(18)
(19)
(20)
(21)
(22)
(23)
(24)
(25)
Epilogue

Bonus chapter

62.3K 2.7K 527
By tayxwriter

Christmas for Lydia had been her favourite time of the year since she was a child. She spent it with her family. Sometimes in California, sometimes in Colorado. Wherever she was, it was filled with love, magic, memories that would stay with her forever.

Plus the food was always incredible.

But this year, she wasn't sure what to expect. She had been dating Carter for a year and a half and this was the first Christmas in their new shared home in the centre of Castle pines. The two of them had invited both of their families and while their house was spacious, she was sure it would soon feel claustrophobic.

The single story villa style home wasn't something that she had imagined herself living in. But she loved it. Hard wood floors were polished throughout the house, large Victorian windows allowed a constant stream of sunshine in— when it wasn't overcast with snow and clouds— thick deep burgundy curtains and light fixtures were the perfect contrast against the light cream coloured walls.

A tall faux Christmas tree stood in the corner of the living room, twinkling with fairy lights and presents scattered underneath its branches. The fireplace crackled, keeping the house warm and the vibe comfortable. Lydia loved the aesthetic of a blazing flame, the snow falling outside and hot food cooking in the kitchen. It made her want to curl up in a blanket with a hot chocolate and her man.

Carter came sauntering into the kitchen where Lydia stood at the oven, poking a thermometer into her roast lamb to check whether it was cooked or not. His stubble coated his sharp jaw, his hair fell in unkempt waves that tousled when he ran his fingers through the soft strands. He leaned against the countertop and pushed the sleeves of his fitted long sleeve up to his elbow as he crossed his legs at the ankles and smiled.

"How's it coming along, killer?" He questioned with a grin that still gave Lydia a flutter in her stomach. She pushed the oven door closed and huffed, blowing the strands of her hair that had come loose from her top knot.

"It's almost done. A few more minutes I think."

She slipped her bright red oven mitts off and threw them down on the pine countertop. She was expecting the guests to begin arriving at around two in the afternoon so the two of them still had an hour to make sure that it was all perfect. Lydia had never hosted Christmas before and it was stressing her out a little, as much as she didn't want to admit that to Carter.

She strolled towards him, the pager on his belt catching her attention for a brief moment. He was on call for the hospital and she hoped to the high heavens that it wouldn't go off this evening. She wanted him around for more reasons than just support. It wouldn't be the same if he wasn't with her on their first Christmas in their new home.

"Your Mom still coming?" She questioned with a small voice as she reached him, wrapping her arms around his waist and staring up at him.

One edge of his mouth curled up as he offered her a small smile, tucking her hair behind her ear before his hand came to rest on the nape of her neck. Even when his smile didn't reach his eyes, or his gaze was a little more sad than usual, he still managed to look at her with the utmost adoration and affection.

"She sent me a text message about ten minutes ago letting me know that she might not make it until late tonight," he flinched, as much as he attempted to look unaffected, she could see that it hurt him. "So I don't expect to see her tonight."

Carters relationship with his mother had never been stable. She had him in boarding school for most of his high school life. Although he managed to convince her to let him live at home for the last year and a half of school, she didn't have a lot to do with him even when he was around. He could never figure out what the problem was, he tried so hard to make her proud. Going to college, becoming a doctor, purchasing his own home and committing to a beautiful girl, none of it seemed to phase Mrs Mason and it stung Carter, a lot.

"I'm sorry," Lydia offered a sad smile, her squeeze tightening around his waist. He shrugged his shoulders and leaned down to press a kiss against her mouth.

He leaned back just enough to tell her that it didn't matter before his mouth was on hers once again. Both of his large hands found her nape, gripping her with a firm hold as his tongue slid inside of her mouth and ignited a familiar burst of desire in her stomach. She loved this man. She loved him more than she could explain or prove or adequately demonstrate. She had known him for almost her entire life and it still felt like these moments were fresh, new and as exciting as they were in the beginning. She had built a life with someone who she was certain was perfect for her.

"We still have an hour until our guests arrive," Carter mentioned with a shallow breath as he rested his forehead on hers, his jaw flinching as he exhaled. "Should we use the time to our advantage."

Lydia didn't get to offer a verbal response. She was slapped at the back of her thighs and hoisted into the air, her legs wrapped around Carters waist while her stomach turned into a frantic eruption of butterflies. She loved how he sucked his bottom lip in, biting down on it as he stared at her with desire. He walked her up the corridor and into their bedroom, intent on making the most of their private time.

That was until Lydia remembered that the roast would end up over cooked if she didn't get it out of the oven. She made a run back for the kitchen, switching the oven off and removing the food, placing it into the warmer drawer before she ran back to the bedroom. It was a little bit of a sobering interruption, but their passion soon picked up where it left off.

"Oh babe," Lydia paused before she opened the front door, a firm knock sounding for the second time. "You have—"

She wiped at the lipstick smudge on the corner of his mouth and zipped up his fly, giving him a careful once over to be sure that there were no more clues that would reveal their Christmas carnal. When she was satisfied that she was also presentable, she pulled the door open and smiled at Grayson who had his fist raised, his other hand intertwined with his wife's.

"Hey Dad," Lydia greeted, stepping aside to allow them to come in out of the snow. She gave her father a hug before he moved on to shake Carters hand. Isla handed her a dish of glazed carrots and pecked her cheek before she removed her coat.

Isla and Grayson had been together for little over a year but the two of them hadn't been slow to exchange vows. It was sweet. She worked in a little hipster boutique in Archwood which sold a variety of items from clothing to vape machines, healing crystals and jewellery. She always smelled like incense and wore patterned clothes that, along with her dark dreaded hair, gave the illusion of  a gifted palm reader.

Funnily enough, she didn't believe in such practices.

Isla bore similar semblance to Spencer, in the colour of her beautiful skin and dark eyes. But the two couldn't have been more different. However, they got along well and it meant a lot to Lydia that after such a long time, she could have a civilised gathering such as Christmas and there was no awkward tension.

Soon after their arrival, Nathan, Spencer, Liam, Camilla and Nicolás arrived with dessert dishes that Lydia had no doubt would be incredible considering her grandmother had created them. Despite her mothers best efforts, Spencer just couldn't seem to master the art of baking.

The meal was a success. The roast wasn't burned and Carter and Lydia shared a knowing grin over the near disaster that could have taken place had it not been for some quick thinking. The family fit around the table well, selfies were snapped, Christmas crackers were pulled and all throughout the meal, Carter kept finding ways to touch Lydia. A graze of her thigh, his arm around the back of her chair, sweeping her hair over her shoulder. She was pleased that he kept good spirits despite his mother being a no show. She knew that he must have been hurting. 

In between the first meal and dessert, it was decided that the gifts would be exchanged so that the food could settle before moving on to the next course. It was a miracle that Liam put his cellphone down long enough to open his presents. He had recently started dating a girl from school and the two seemed smitten. She was into all of the same things that he was, reading, politics and other things that seemed odd for a fifteen year old to be interested in.

"Could I have everyone's attention please," Carter stood beside the Christmas tree. The lounge suite was sufficiently full with the adults, Liam sat on the desk chair in the corner of the room and Lydia was on the floor beside the love seat, chatting with her grandfather about work of all things.

The room fell silent and their attention turned to Carter who looked gorgeous with the flames shadows licking at his profile, casting the most flattering ambient lighting against his skin. Lydia stared with some longing and a lot of confusion as he smiled down at her, his hand shifting in his pocket.

"It means a lot to have you all here tonight. I had been hoping that my mother would show up, but I'm aware the people that love us and are worth having in our lives, are right here," his gaze swept the room and he nodded with appreciation. "Thank you. All of you for accepting me and inviting me into this family that has been an incredible example of love."

Carters attention moved back to Lydia and he outstretched a hand, helping her to her feet. She lightly blushed and glanced around the room before her gaze fell back on his unwavering and piercing stare.

"Lydia, from the moment that I saw you. And I mean the moment that I first saw you in our classroom what feels like a lifetime ago. I knew that I'd never set sights on such a beautiful girl ever again. Sure, we were just kids and while I can't claim that I spent my entire life losing sleep over the fact that I didn't have you, I always knew you were more special, more beautiful and more outstanding than the rest."

He knelt down, his head arching up as he took one knee and revealed a black velvet box. Lydia felt her chest tighten, her gasp caught in her throat and she felt embarrassed for spluttering on her own saliva as she began to sob. She felt choked and breathless as he popped the box open with a glisten in his gaze. A beautiful diamond sat in the silk casing and she swiped at the tears on her cheeks as he spoke.

"I've been waiting for what feels like a damn long time to do this. When you set me free in high school, I thought that I would never get the chance to ask, but I'm so glad that we made it back to each other and I can tell you baby, that I want to make you my wife. Marry me Lydia? Please do me the greatest honour?"

"Yes of course," she covered her mouth as she answered to save from spitting everywhere because she was uncontrollably blubbering.

Carters grin stretched across his gorgeous face and he pulled the ring out of the box, pushing it on to his fiancées shaking finger before he stood up and pulled her in with his large hand spread out on her back. His other hand tucked around her nape and she clutched the collar of his shirt, their lips moving furiously as the sound of clapping and camera shutters surrounded their perfect moment.

Eventually they broke apart and accepted congratulations and hugs. Lydia couldn't stop marvelling over the diamond. She couldn't keep more than an arms length from her now fiancé and she felt her heart swell each time that she looked at him and saw that he was already watching her with intense love and a breathtaking smile.

She later discovered that he had asked for both Nathan and Grayson's permission before he proposed. It was just another piece of the evening that had her wishing that the two of them were alone.

Out of nowhere, her thoughts flittered back to the heartbreak that she had endured in high school. The betrayal of Riley, who she believed that she would spend forever with. She smiled when her mothers words echoed in her ears.

You need to treat this like it's the best thing that ever happened to you.

Her gaze connected with Carters and she knew that without a doubt, she was now grateful for the course of events that led her to this moment. She was happier than she had ever been before.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.4K 2.7K 29
"No! You don't walk away!" He stops me and turns me to face him. "Let go of me!" I snap back as I remove my wrist from his grasp. "What are you so...
18.4K 1.1K 19
#featured #216 in Romance #42 in ChikLit Faye rolled her eyes. "You're such a loser." "And you're so hot in that." She looked at him and found him st...
786K 17.4K 21
He leaned down to my ear and whispered. "That's my f***ing business, doll face!" I gasped when he said the 'f' word. I looked at him wide-eyed unable...
3.1M 76.9K 37
Jade Stone and Blaze Daniels used to be bestfriends from the age of 3 to 15. In Freshman year Blaze realised that he had the potential to become more...