A Starship Called Starsong

By CrystalScherer

Computer updates are simple, right? Apparently, that's not always the case when it involves a Spaceship's AI... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 21

12.5K 1.2K 198
By CrystalScherer

It was standard practice for a Captain to greet a new Overseer or Officer as they entered the ship for the first time. In Starsong's opinion, it should be a standard practice across the board with all newly-hired crew members. I agreed with his theory, but the part where I was the Captain who had this new responsibility had me internally muttering some unfortunate phrases.

Both of us knew it was just my dislike of how people reacted when they realized that I was claiming to be the Captain. It had been a long day of similar reactions from docking station staff, suppliers, and other people. This was going to be my first time meeting new crew members that Starsong had hired.

The seven current crew members walked behind me as I approached the main access door. The door opened, and I went outside. My eyes examined the small crowd waiting at the base of the ramp as I walked down it.

All 58 were already here and lined up in neat rows along the docking station retaining wall at the base of the door ramp. Most of them were old enough to be my father, and all of them had several decades in a space career under their belts. Their experience and knowledge meant that they should easily adapt to Starsong's systems.

I carried a box with communication devices and Guides while Logan carried a small folding table behind me. I reached the docking platform, and Logan set the table up before stepping back. I placed the box on the table before facing the ranks of waiting men and women who were watching me. A couple looked faintly surprised, but most were experienced enough to hide any emotion they may be feeling. All of them had been here early.

My palms sweated slightly at being the center of so much attention, but I figured it was no worse than a graduation ceremony. Once I called them up and they went inside, they would have plenty to distract them.

"Thank you all for coming. I am Captain Wanderer, although my crew is welcome to call me Rachel. The Starsong is a new Starship, and we are looking to build a strong foundation with an experienced crew, which is why we have approached you, as you have proven yourselves with your past work and dedication. There are currently only seven crew members, other than myself, so they will assist with a tour afterward. You are also free to explore the ship on your own."

Most Captains would never allow the crew to call them by their first name, but Starsong preferred a closer-knit group, so we were working towards that. To be honest, I preferred my first name over Captain Wanderer.

I reached down to pick up a communication device and a Guide. I called out, "Tanya Kisell, Navigations Officer."

One of the women came over. I passed her the communication device as I shook her hand. "Welcome aboard the Starsong."

"Thank you, Captain."

She pinned the device on her shirt, and I passed her the Guide before she moved to the side to make room for the next person I called up. Starsong provided the name and position of each person, so I didn't require a list - which would probably seem quite impressive to anyone watching.

Simply remembering the names and positions of so many new people would be a difficult task, never mind grabbing the devices that belonged to that person. That was probably the effect that Starsong had been after.

Soon, I handed the last of the items out. "The devices in your hands are called a Guide. They are similar to a rather user-friendly Analyzer that contains maps, tutorials, a system for work tickets, and more. Please keep them with you as this ship uses software and systems that are only found on Starships. I will take the Officers on a tour of the Bridge and ship. For the rest of you, please split yourselves amongst the original crew members for a tour."

Most of the group were Overseers, with eight Officers, and a handful of assistants. Two of the Officers had a permanent shift on the Bridge using one of the consoles. The other six were responsible for different areas of the ship and the Overseers within them. They had access to the Bridge, although it wasn't likely that they would show up there unless something big came up or we called them in.

I planned to maintain an open-door policy and ensure that they knew they were free to approach me. It would take them a bit to get accustomed to it though, since most Captains stood on protocol and preferred to be more aloof from the more mundane situations or questions.

The rows of people parted to let me pass as I walked back up the ramp. The Officers started to follow me at a respectful distance as I passed them. Once we were inside, I waved them closer, "We will be working hand-in-hand, and I will be more informal with you than you may expect. I am not going to demand that you or the crew dance on the level of protocol that most Captains expect. We just put on a show for the outside world when they see us. So, you don't have to leave so much space between us when we are on the Starsong."

They mostly closed the large gap between us, likely still testing the waters of what my expectations were. We got into an elevator as I continued to explain things.

"Your quarters are all on level two, so we can drop off your luggage on our way. There is no private dining area on this level. You are welcome to use the one on level five that the Overseers and experienced crew hands also have access to, or you can meet and visit with the newer assistants in the level eighteen dining area. If you require a private meeting with food, just speak with the Cook."

We detoured towards the crew quarter section of the level. Their names were already on their doors, and we paused while each person dropped their belongings in their new quarters. The rooms looked simple at first glance, but as I knew from experience, the furniture and bed were far more comfortable than they appeared.

We entered the Bridge and they took a quick glance at the consoles they would be using. I commented, "I will not always be in the Bridge, so you are free to contact me with whatever questions or reports you may have. If you have questions, please ask them. I can't help someone if I don't know there is a problem. Problems include confusion or misunderstandings. I have an open door policy, so feel free to use it."

They occasionally ventured a question during our tour as we visited the main areas on various levels. I answered them and also provided additional information.

"The map on your Guide is a useful tool. I suggest spending some time exploring the ship while using it. Once we leave this port tomorrow, we are heading to the Carrel System, so we will have three days to get our feet under us before we are in port once more. There should be twenty-two new crew members waiting there. One Officer, five Overseers, and the rest are assistants."

The Navigation Officer, Tanya, very politely spoke up. "My apologies, Captain, but that system is at least five days away, even with an express passenger shuttle. Most trade ships will take ten days to get to that destination."

Her words had been slightly tentative, nervous about correcting a Captain in front of other crew members, but she was likely thinking that this was a test since the only crew present were other Officers. I commented to Starsong, 'At least she isn't afraid to speak up.'

"That is the exact reason her past Captain let her go. He chose a route that was rather dangerous, and she suggested a safer one, even going as far as to point it out in front of other crew members in hopes of changing his mind if there were witnesses."

I smiled warmly at the somewhat-nervous Officer. "I am glad to hear that you aren't afraid to point out a potential miscalculation. But in this case, it isn't a miscalculation. Unless something like a rescue comes up, we will be docking in four days."

She nodded respectfully. "Thank you for the clarification, Captain."

Her face didn't show it, but I knew she didn't believe me. She had no way of knowing that Starsong's engines were as far ahead of an average spaceship as his AI was. It would take some of the faster spacejets to cross that distance in so little time. It simply wasn't conceivable for a trade ship to manage the same feat.

Then again, I was still trying to wrap my head around it. One thing was certain though, we would excel in trades of fresh produce to far-flung areas where they only received those particular vegetables and fruits in dried, frozen, or canned forms. The rare fresh treats would fetch high prices.

Starsong had already posted digital notices at our next stop about the perishable goods he was carrying, as well as his expected arrival date. He made no mention of his current location, which was typical of traders. I had been informed that there was already a bidding war ensuing, based on the quality and state of the listed fruits and vegetables.

We had bought a lot of supplies and cargo at this stop, using up most of our on-hand money, but we should make a startling profit when we sold it at the next planet. Starsong had carefully chosen things that were cheap here, but highly desirable at our upcoming destinations.

Most trader ships worked certain circuits and dealt with specific goods that they were familiar with, often setting up routine trades. But routine trades drove prices down unless they were widely spaced out. Starsong's particular abilities would enable us to always bring things that were high in demand. And in the case of the fresh produce from another star system, it was otherwise unobtainable, and if they didn't buy it this time, then there was no telling when we would be back with that cargo again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

398K 9.8K 51
[COMPLETED] #Ranks : #14 on 30/11/18 (category : Ex) #17 on 29/6/19 ( category : adultromance) #57 on 29/6/19 ( category: Suspense) Excerpt : "I can...
935 21 33
A world where Scott and Stiles have female versions of them selves that they don't know exist. What happens when the duos meet up? (Mature for violen...
2.9K 168 15
Life was dull, boring, and mechanical. I’ve always wondered if this would change. If something interesting will happen. I always hoped something inte...
178K 5.7K 41
I was screaming even louder thinking I was going to die. But then I landed in somebody's arms. I reacted quickly and punched the guy in the face. He...