A Starship Called Starsong

By CrystalScherer

Computer updates are simple, right? Apparently, that's not always the case when it involves a Spaceship's AI... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 19

12K 1.2K 326
By CrystalScherer

I sat at the dining table on the Tyndel as I ate breakfast. I was also waiting to see who was brave enough to change ships. I really did not expect many to come just due to the fact that Starsong was an aware AI - and had technically kidnapped them five days ago... At least half were staying on the old ship. I knew that Cynthia, Logan, and one other man were coming with me for sure, but the rest had been undecided.

My own suitcase was by my feet. I didn't have much, especially since clothing and uniforms were typically provided by the ship we served on. I heard footsteps and watched the open door expectantly.

Cynthia came into sight and looked relieved. "Thank goodness you're still here! I was worried I was going to have to walk over there by myself."

"Nah, I wouldn't do that to you. I figured most would show up here for breakfast, and it would only be polite to walk with those who want to come. The others still have until 8 to decide."

She nodded and went to go get some food. I watched the door as the meal continued. They had unanimously arranged their schedules so we all ate at the same time. Many coming in were wearing the Tyndel's ship uniform and had no baggage, which showed their choice.

It wasn't terribly long before I had my answer. Only eight of us were in civilian clothing and had our suitcases or bags. I was surprised to see that the cook was going with us. I waited until everyone had finished eating, including those who were staying; they had lingered to watch our departure.

I took a deep breath and stood up. Silence immediately fell as everyone watched me. I spoke clearly, "I am going to walk over. People are welcome to come with me if they want."

All of those wearing civilian clothing stood up and gathered their stuff. I looked towards those in uniform. "I wish you safe travels. The spaceship has been programmed to go straight back to Telbert and dock."

A few murmured goodbyes, but most started to scatter now that it was clear that we were, indeed, leaving. Our small group walked down the corridors one last time before we passed through the main access door.

A few seemed jittery and somewhat nervous as we walked down the docking ramp, while others kept glancing uneasily towards Starsong. Realization hit me - they were nervous, and possibly scared.

I had spent the better part of five days talking with Starsong, and that had slowly removed all of my uneasiness regarding the AI. Starsong had spoken once to them directly, but that was it. He was an unknown and scary enigma to them.

"I did not expect Rory to come."

That made two of us. 'Neither did I.' Rory had been an Overseer in the Accounting area and had always been striving for an Officer position. I was sure his over-ambitious nature would cause trouble in some fashion or another eventually. I dismissed his presence from my mind as I walked up the next ramp towards Starsong.

Once I reached the top, I paused and turned around. The seven others stopped and waited since it was clear I was going to speak.

"Welcome to the Starsong. Before we go in, you can decide if you want to retain your previous position or try a new one. Training will be offered in all areas, and Starsong has said that he can handle the entire ship by himself while we learn. The systems here will be different, so we will all have things to learn."

Cynthia was the first to respond. "I love plants, so I want to remain in agriculture."

Logan glanced at the ship nervously before speaking, "I would love to remain in the software field, but if Starsong objects, then I can probably shift my specialty into engineering, shields, or weapons."

Starsong's voice came from a hidden speaker somewhere above my head. "I have created all of the software on this ship, so it will be something completely outside of your experience. I did analyze your file, and you have promising potential with the types of shields I have. You are free to choose though."

Logan looked a bit shaken but replied, "Ah, thank you for the explanation. In that case, I will be happy to be trained in the shields area."

Starsong responded, "I will add you to the training list."

Logan bowed slightly in acceptance; he was well aware that the AI had numerous scanners around the access door that could 'see' him. That didn't even include the well-hidden video cameras.

Rory thought for a few moments. "I always wanted to go into procurement."

I was kind of surprised when he didn't bring up his rank to ensure he would get an Overseer, or even an Officer, position. One by one, the rest chose what area they wanted. Two others were trying new areas since they had the chance.

The cook inquired, "I assume we will be bringing in more crew shortly, but are there any plans to have a Bridge crew or a Captain?"

Oh boy, here we go... I took a breath to respond, but Starsong beat me to it. "Yes, we should have a full crew within four months. There will be a Bridge crew, and we already have a Captain."

The others looked surprised, and the cook gazed at the side of the Starship that towered over us. He said, "I wasn't aware that we had a Captain. May I ask who it is?"

"Rachel is the Captain."

I sighed heavily as I tried to deflect the title. "I prefer the term Liaison, but he and I are still having words about the exact name of what I am doing."

Starsong overrode my suggestion. "The original term was Captain, and so shall it remain."

They all stared at me in shock. I really didn't like having people stare at me in such a fashion. Rory shook his head in disbelief as he complained, "She isn't qualified to be Captain. She is barely out of University!"

I had known that this was coming, but my heart was picking up speed as my adrenaline started to flow in preparation for the upcoming quarrel. My expression was calm and collected, a look I had mastered in university while listening to a few rather boring professors.

Starsong's voice was flatter than normal, as if he was not impressed. "And who else here has so much as addressed me directly more than four times during the last five days? Any Captain will be constantly speaking with me. She may be just out of University, but her degree is not a fake, unlike yours."

Rory froze with wide eyes. I had not been aware that Rory's credentials were fake, and the hiring crew must have missed it considering he had been hired. The others were glancing between Rory and me with surprise.

I guess if I am supposed to be a Captain, I have to start acting the part... I addressed Rory in a level voice, "If you object to having me as Captain, you are free to return to the Tyndel. Your other option is to continue with your original choice of procurement, although you will not be eligible for an Overseer position until you have official training and an appropriate amount of experience."

Admitting that I was the Captain out loud made it really hit home, and saying it in front of others finally made it seem real, as if I had finally accepted that fact. Technically, this was my crew now. My responsibility – and I was not ready for such a thing. 'I will be relying on you since I have no idea what my responsibilities even are when it comes to a crew...'

"It isn't as much work as you think. With the crew, the Officers and Overseers do most of the work."

Small condolence, but I would take it. Rory hesitated for only a second before bowing deeply. "I will sail under your command, Captain."

He knew that he had been truly measured and found wanting. If knowledge of his fake credentials became known, almost no Captain out there would hire him – and he knew it. 'I am kind of surprised you are willing to accept him when he lied on his application.'

"He never did truly put it on his application. The hiring crew pulled the wrong file and made the assumption. He never corrected them since he was scared to lose his job. He has been in that area for over a decade, and his work has been nearly flawless. He actually does know what he is doing, he just lacks the fancy paper. The paper won't help him much with our systems either. I will keep close tabs on him in case he changes his mind."

I broke the silence. "All right. I will give all of you your new communication devices and a brief tour."

The door behind me opened, and I walked inside. There were two trays on a shelf just inside. I handed each person both a communication device and a 'Guide'. The Guide was essentially a simplified Analyzer that was very user-friendly and allowed them to easily access maps, training tutorials, work tickets, and more.

They pinned the silver communication devices onto their shirts, and the comet indentation looked quite striking in my mind. Theirs were a slightly darker shade than mine, but otherwise looked identical. "Okay, let's start our tour."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9K 1K 47
Book 1 of CANAISIS ∞ The Last Living Ship trilogy (Chronicles of Canaisis 1) Can a ship, born to sail the ocean of stars to ensure Humankind's surviv...
1.2M 4.2K 8
The aliens came here for one thing, and one thing only.... Females. ( This story is only available through inkitt or galatea!!!) (some read events ma...
4K 52 12
I thought being kidnapped by heartless scientists was the worst thing that could happen to me. I was wrong. Being rescued by a massive teal alien a...
4.7K 90 19
She still looks the same, sounds the same and loves the same but is she the same, only time can tell. A toxic love story between two ex lovers. The e...