Drop in the Ocean [Harmione]

Von LumosNox22

Alternate Universe-Following the defeat of Lord Voldemort, Harry Potter disappeared from sight. He keeps in c... Mehr

1. The Reluctant Traveler
2. La Isla Bonita
3. Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
4. Don't Get Me Wrong
5. My Life
6. Message in a Bottle
7. Under the Boardwalk
8. You Can't Hurry Love
9. Drop in the Ocean
10. Fire
11. Your Cheatin' Heart
12. Pass You By
13. To Make You Feel My Love
14. Broken Arrow
15. Crash
17. I Deserve It
18. If I Ain't Got You
19. Mr. Brightside
20. She's Got A Way
21. When I Fall in Love
22. Everything's Not Lost
23. Into the Mystic
24. You Set Me Free
25. Mad Season
26. Forever & For Always
27. All I Have
Angelica

16. Blame It On Your Heart

5.9K 201 151
Von LumosNox22

Blame It on Your Heart

You've got a thing or two to learn about me baby
'cause I ain't taking it no more and I don't mean maybe
You don't know right from wrong
Well the love we had is gone
So blame it on your lying, cheating, cold dead-beating,
Two-timing, double-dealing
Mean, mistreating, loving heart

(Patty Loveless, "Blame It On Your Heart")

"Hermione," Ron said brightly. "What...what are you doing here? I thought you weren't supposed to be back for a fortnight."

She wasn't looking at him, though. She was looking at the black, lacy bra in his hands. "Is that yours?"

"Is what mine?" Ron asked innocently.

"That," Hermione said, pointing to the bra.

"Oh, this!" Ron said with a laugh. "There's a good explanation for this actually."

Hermione folded her arms and looked at him expectantly. She couldn't wait to see what sort of excuse he came up with for this. She hoped that he gave her some credit.

Ron laughed nervously. He didn't speak for quite some time and Hermione could practically hear the wheels turning in his head as he tried to come up with a believable excuse. "This is a fan's. You know how they get, Hermione. They've taken to throwing their bras and knickers at us when we fly by."

"And you liked this one so much you decided to keep it?" Hermione asked challengingly.

"No," Ron said shaking his head. "Of course not! This must have stuck to my uniform or something. I was about to throw it in the rubbish bin when you knocked on the door."

A smug expression came over Ron's handsome features and Hermione could tell he was inwardly congratulating himself for coming up with what he believed was a convincing lie. Hermione resisted the urge to wipe that smirk off of his face.

"I see," she said instead, pushing past him into the flat. It was as messy and disorganized as ever. Magazines and newspapers were stacked in cluttered piles on the coffee table and on the floor. Empty pizza boxes and takeaway containers were stacked haphazardly on the piles. Hermione had always hated going to his flat mostly because she always had the overwhelming need to clean. She'd once thought it was an endearing trait of Ron's, but now she was just disgusted.

Hermione also noticed an empty bottle of wine and two glasses on the coffee table as well. She could hear Ron's sharp intake of breath behind her as he realized what she'd just spotted. Turning slowly around, she smiled sweetly at him. "Did you have company?"

"Just a few blokes from the team," Ron said quickly.

"I didn't figure them for wine drinkers," Hermione said raising an eyebrow at Ron. "They're more the fire whiskey and ale type."

Ron just shrugged and took Hermione in his arms. She flinched involuntarily, but he didn't seem to notice or care. "I missed you, Herms."

"You know I hate it when you call me that," she said coolly, rolling her eyes. Ron pulled her closer and nuzzled her neck. Hermione pulled away and forced a smile.

"I can't wait to hear about your trip," Ron said, cleaning away a space on the sofa for her to sit down. "It mustn't have been that great if you've come home early."

He inched closer to her on the sofa and was hugging her to him once again. The feel of his hands and lips on her skin made her physically ill. She swallowed hard before pressing a palm to his chest to push him away. With calmness she didn't feel inwardly, she spoke.

"My trip was...a real eye-opener," she said thoughtfully. "I learned a lot about myself whilst I was there. And I met some really wonderful people..."

"That's great sweetheart," Ron interjected.

Hermione nodded. She was about to read him the riot act, when he held up a hand.

"Ron..."

He got to his feet and gave her a winsome smile. "I know you have loads to tell me, but there's something that I need to tell you, too. While you were away, I had some time to think and I realized...well, hold that thought. I need to go and get something. Be right back, Hermione."

Hermione watched him go and she wondered what he was up to. As it was, she was finding it hard not to smack him upside the head. He was actually carrying on as if everything was fine.

In his bloody, self-centered world I'm sure things are.

When she'd arrived home a few hours ago, she'd been dismayed to find Lavender at work. If she'd ever needed to talk to her best friend, it was now. Of course, Lavender didn't know Hermione was coming home. So after Hermione dropped off her suitcases and freshened up a bit, she'd made her way to Ron's flat. The sooner she got this over with, she thought to herself, the better.

As she waited for Ron to come back, her thoughts drifted back to Harry. She missed him so much. One of the hardest things she'd ever had to do was leave.

Harry had still been asleep when she'd awoken. Hermione stared at him for quite some time, trying to memorize every line, every curve of his face. Her fingers lightly traced over his scar as she marveled again at all that he'd been through and all that he'd done. He could have turned out so much differently than he did based on how he'd been raised and with all the glory and fame that had been bestowed upon him. But he was kind, caring and loving. It wasn't a surprise to Hermione that she'd fallen so hard and so quick for him.

As she looked at him, she wondered if this was really the end. Would she ever see him again? She knew that they both had much to think about and they couldn't do that here in such a romantic setting. Hermione wasn't fooling herself though. This wasn't an easy situation for Harry. He would be forced to choose between the woman he loved, but had only known for less than two months, and the bloke he'd considered his best mate and looked at as a brother. The Weasley family had also practically adopted Harry as one of their own. And they'd always made Hermione feel like another member of the family. If she and Harry pursued any sort of romantic relationship, they could probably kiss their relationship with the Weasleys goodbye.

Tears sprung to Hermione's eyes as she thought of how unfair this was. She'd finally found the one thing she'd always wanted, but it was slipping through her hands and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

With a heavy heart, she dragged herself out of bed and quickly showered and changed clothes. She'd just finished latching her suitcase when she felt an arm on her shoulder. She didn't have to turn around to know who it was. He put his arms on her waist and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"Hi."

"Hi," she said softly.

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

"I didn't want to," Hermione said turning around to look at him properly.

"You were just going to leave without saying goodbye?"

She nodded. "I thought it would be easier this way."

"Nothing about this is easy," Harry remarked dryly. He kissed her softly. "What time is your portkey?"

She looked at her watch and frowned. "Five minutes."

"Doesn't leave us much time," Harry said holding her close. "What are you going to do?"

"Break things off with Ron," Hermione replied. "After that, I'm not so sure."

"If it weren't for me, would you---"

"It wasn't working out for him and me for quite some time," Hermione interjected. "We're too different."

Harry nodded, but still felt as if he was responsible for this somehow.

"Besides, I'm getting in the way of his extracurricular activities," Hermione deadpanned. "I feel like such an idiot for not seeing it sooner. Though, to tell you the truth, we haven't spent that much time together recently. Even before I came here, things were strained between us."

"I think he does really care about you, Hermione—"

"In his own way, I think so," Hermione said. "But if he's being honest with himself, I'm sure that he wouldn't have been able to put up with me too much longer. He always wanted to go out and I was more comfortable staying in. He wants to be the life of the party and I just prefer to blend in. We fought more than anything."

"He's a fool," Harry said sincerely. "No, he is, Hermione."

He cupped her face in his hands. "You're amazing. I don't know---I don't know what's going to happen, but I hope you know that I love you. I love you so much."

"I love you," Hermione whispered. "Will you, um, give my best to Sirius and Eva?"

Harry nodded. "I hate that you're going to miss the proposal."

"She's going to say yes," Hermione said with a grin. "It's a sure thing."

He kissed her once more.

"Go," she said quietly. "If you stay, I won't be able to leave."

"I love you," Harry said squeezing her hand.

Hermione blinked when she saw Ron had returned from his bedroom. He looked like the proverbial cat that ate the canary.

"Okay," he said smiling at her. "As I was saying, while you were gone, I had some time to think, too. I know we've only been dating a few months, but they'd been the best months of my life..."

Hermione's mouth dropped as Ron got down on one knee before her.

"You're the one," Ron said happily. "You're the one for me, Hermione. You always have been. You're pretty, you're smart. You're everything a bloke could want. And you'd make me the happiest man in the world if you'd agree to be my...to be my wife. Hermione Granger, will you marry me?"

He pulled a ring box out from behind his back and Hermione stared at it. She'd expected many things, but she certainly hadn't seen this coming. Ron opened up the ring box and revealed a simple, solitaire engagement ring

"You...you want me to m-marry you?"

Ron nodded. "I know it's sudden, but come on, Hermione. What are we waiting for really? When something is right, you know it. You don't have to think about it. That's the way I feel about you."

"It is?" Hermione asked incredulously. "You want to marry me?"

"Yes," Ron said enthusiastically. "I can hardly believe it myself, Herms—Hermione. But I just feel that it's right."

"You've got to be kidding me!"

Ron stared at her, a dubious expression on his face.

"Marry you?" Hermione said her nose scrunching up in disgust. "Why would you want to get married, Ron? You're having way too much fun as a swinging bachelor, aren't you?"

"I don't—"

"No, you don't understand," Hermione interrupted. "Lavender saw you, Ron. She saw you walking on the street the other day with some girl---snogging on the sidewalk. How very utterly romantic."

Ron paled, but quickly recovered. "That wasn't me, Hermione. Lavender's never liked me. You know I wouldn't put it past her to make up some story to make me look bad."

"The only person whose been making up stories has been you," Hermione said angrily. "She saw you, Ron. She knows what you look like. She didn't make any of this up or mistake you for someone else. So, cut the bull and tell me the truth for once in your life, please."

Ron's mouth was agape. "I..uh...well, I can explain."

"I'm sure you can," Hermione said, getting to her feet. "I'm sure you can explain it all away. You were weak, right? You had all these girls throwing themselves at you and hey, you're only human! And it wasn't anything serious, so why would it matter? But you know what, it does matter!"

"Hermione-"

"Don't say anything to me," Hermione interjected. "Don't you say anything to me! I'm through listening to your lies, Ron. For once, you're going to listen to what I have to say."

Ron weakly got to his feet and sat down on the sofa.

"You don't love me," Hermione continued. "If you did, you wouldn't have felt the need to cheat on me with anything that moved."

"That's not how it was," Ron argued. "Hermione, look. I did cheat on you, but I'm not proud of it. I felt like a bastard after doing it."

"But you didn't stop," Hermione retorted. "You wouldn't stop. You're not ready to get married, Ron. I don't even know if you ever will be ready for that."

Hermione was trying not to act superior to him. She had also cheated, but it had only been that one time and unlike in Ron's case, she was in love with Harry. It wasn't an excuse, Hermione thought to herself.

"I see what this is," Ron said standing up. "You met someone on your holiday and you—"

"This isn't about anyone else, Ron," Hermione said. "This is about you and me. If you're being honest with yourself, you know that we were never a good match. Even if you hadn't cheated---we'd still have these problems."

Ron frowned. "But we could work on it, Hermione. We could try. I think if we make this commitment, I'll try and be faithful."

"Try?" Hermione asked, shaking her head. "Oh, yes! That's exactly what a girl wants to hear, Ron. 'I want to marry you, but I can't promise that I'll be faithful, but I will try'."

In frustration, Ron ran a hand through his hair. "You met someone else, Hermione. I can tell. You wouldn't be thinking this if you hadn't. So you're trying to turn this around on me so you'll feel better about yourself!"

Hermione sighed and picked up her bag. "Tell yourself whatever you want, Ron. I don't care anymore. I do hope that someday you do meet that one girl that you can be faithful to. It obviously wasn't me."

"Hermione! I love you!"

Hermione laughed. "You don't have the first clue about love, Ron."

He took her hands in his. "I'm sorry, but we belong---"

"NO!" Hermione yelled, wrenching herself from his grip. "We don't belong together! You can't talk your way out of this, Ron. It's over. Finished."

Without looking back, Hermione walked out of the flat, slamming the door behind her.

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Later that evening, a few friends got together at Café Oceana to celebrate Sirius and Eva's engagement.

"To Ben and Eva," Maureen said raising her glass.

"I'll drink to that!" Sirius joked.

"You'll drink to anything," Eva joked.

"I'll drink to me drinking to anything," Sirius said with a mischievous grin at his fiancée.

Eva rolled her eyes. "I can't believe I said yes to you, you insane man. I don't know what I'm getting myself into."

"Yes you do," Sirius said putting an arm around her. "You know what you're getting into and you love every single moment of it."

"I wouldn't go that far," Eva said with a laugh. "Not every moment of it. I love you, my sweet, but you can drive me crazy sometimes."

"Rubbish," Sirius said dismissively. "It's all part of my charm."

"Charm?"

"Yes," Sirius said smugly. He kissed her soundly to the applause of all their friends. Everyone was happy and enjoying the great food and free drinks. Everyone save for the raven-haired man sitting at the end of the counter, nursing a beer and looking as if he'd just lost his best friend.

"Go and check on him," Eva said looking sympathetically at Harry.

Sirius nodded and walked over to his godson. Sirius sat down beside him and patted him on the back. "Cheer up, Harry. This is a party after all."

"I'm okay," Harry said quietly.

"Sure you are," Sirius said sarcastically. "And I'm Severus Snape's best mate."

Harry didn't crack a smile.

"You know what your problem is?" Sirius asked.

"No, why don't you tell me."

"I will, smartarse," Sirius retorted. "You miss her. You shouldn't have let her go, Harry."

"I didn't have a choice."

"Bollocks, you always have a choice," Sirius said angrily. "She's the best thing that's ever happened to you."

"You should never have done what you did—"

Sirius shook his head. "Maybe I shouldn't have. I should have just left well enough alone, but Harry even if I hadn't; I think the two of you would still be right where you are. I just gave you a push."

"Shoved—more like," Harry said dryly.

Sirius smiled. "Okay, that's a bit harsh. I prefer enthusiastic push or gentle prodding."

For the first time since Hermione left, Harry did laugh. "You're unbelievable."

"Thank you," Sirius said smugly.

Harry watched as Eva laughed at something some of her staff was saying. "I am happy for you, Sirius. Eva's great."

"That she is," Sirius agreed, looking adoringly at her. He turned his attention back to Harry. "You should go to Hermione, Harry."

"She chose to leave, Sirius."

"Maybe," Sirius said. "Maybe not. But you miss her, Harry. I know she misses you. The two of you belong together. Whether it's here in the Abacos or whether it's in Britain. She's what you've been looking for. I know you don't like admitting I'm right, but you've got to give me this one."

"You're right," Harry said reluctantly.

"I know I am," Sirius said with twinkling eyes. "So, go and get your girl."

"It's not that easy," Harry protested. "I've not been back home in years."

"No time like the present," Sirius argued. "And quit acting like a scared coward, Potter. You're a bloody Gryffindor! Show some courage!"

"But—"

"Go, Harry."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

"He has some nerve!" Lavender exclaimed hotly. "I've never liked him, Hermione. I knew he was a dog. Which just goes to show you; you should always listen to me."

Hermione smiled. When Lavender came home from work, Hermione had told her all about confronting Ron. Lavender had listened intently and chimed in with her dry comments throughout. Now the two girls were sitting on their sofa, eating chocolate ice cream.

"I'll keep that in mind," Hermione said with a laugh. "Thank you, Lav. For writing to me, I mean."

Lavender shrugged. "You needed to know what a lying, cheating bastard he is. You'd have done the same for me."

"Too right!"

"Do you know what we should do?" Lavender said, putting her ice cream bowl down on the sofa. "We should get dressed up in our sexiest clothes and go out to a club or something. As my mum says the best revenge is looking good. Come on, Hermione. It's time we got you back out there."

"Lavender—"

"What?" she asked. "Come on. We're going to find the perfect man for you. And if he's not Mr. Right, at least he'll be Mr. Right Now."

"You don't understand," Hermione said. "I don't need to find the perfect man for me..."

"Of course you do," Lavender argued. "Unless..."

Her voice trailed off and she looked sideways at her friend. "You met someone!"

Hermione blushed.

"HAHA!" Lavender said excitedly. "This is great! Spill, spill!"

Hermione looked uncomfortable at Lavender. She wasn't so sure she should tell Lavender about Harry.

"Come on, Hermione. Was it some tall, dark and handsome island bloke?" Lavender asked excitedly. "I can just see you lying on the beach and this gorgeous hunk rubbing suntan lotion on your back."

"You read too many of those silly romance novels," Hermione said dismissively.

"Oh, don't look so smug, Miss. You read them, too."

Hermione sighed. "Okay, okay. Yes, I did meet someone."

"Okay," Lavender grinned. "Now we're getting somewhere."

"If I tell you this, you have to promise you won't say anything to anyone," Hermione said in a hushed, serious tone. "I mean it, Lavender. No one can know this."

Lavender nodded. "I won't say anything."

So Hermione told her all about meeting "Jack" and "Ben". She told Lavender about how she'd figured out who he really was almost immediately, but she'd kept quiet out of respect to their privacy. She told Lavender all about how Sirius tried everything he could to throw them together. She told her all about how she and Harry had first kissed. She told her about the guilt they both felt afterward. She told her about how when the truth came out, they'd tried to stay away from each other. She told her about the storm.

When Hermione was finished, Lavender was speechless.

"Say something," Hermione said quietly.

"I can't believe it," Lavender finally said. "How could you leave him?"

"I didn't want to," Hermione answered. "I just thought we'd need space. And Ron is his best mate, Lavender. I don't want to break their friendship up."

"Oh, sod Ron!"

Hermione laughed. "Oh, if it were that easy..."

"It could be!" Lavender exclaimed. "Come on, Hermione. You love Harry and he loves you."

"I know."

"What are you going to do?" Lavender asked.

"I have no idea," Hermione said sinking into the sofa. "I have no bloody idea."

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

9.2K 1.2K 67
- Make You Mine - { HamLem } - A story about a boy named Song Hyeongjun having a crush on the second year College student named Ham Wonjin. - - Let...
2.2M 115K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
272K 6.6K 19
When Hermione Granger decides to give her life-long friend Harry Potter a check up since his line of work was rather dangerous, she discovers that th...
18.9K 910 20
Post the battle of Camlann, Morgana mourns the loss of Mordred. However, before she can pursue Merlin and Arthur, she is approached by a mysterious f...