Fragile Hearts

By ShonaLover

A short story revolving around lives of three central characters.Vivaan , Ramya and Varna gets connected in a... More

Cast ( Character Sketch )
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
FEW WORDS FROM AUTHOR
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Trailer and surprise
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61 A
Chapter 61 B
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70 A
Chapter 70 B
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Special Teaser - Milestone (100 Chapters)
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105

Chapter 34

1.5K 144 42
By ShonaLover

Time flies quickly.It feels like that day.When both came for workshop.In Sydney and it has been two weeks.Varna returned back to India.Shakthi was with her on her return.Something was a miss.From her side.After awkward proposal but he behaved normal.

Varna was sitting on her bed.With a book on her hand.She hardly read few pages.Felt her eyes in pain.When her mind was restless.She couldnt make it do any job.She took pillow.And covered her face.Checked her phone.No missed calls.Messages.She wet her lips.Got up to have some water.Find the jug empty.It was another hassle.Go down and get water.

She tied her long hair in messy bun.Went down stairs.Slowly.Seeing the big house engulfed in darkness.This place used to look.Chirpy and lively with her sister.Ramya was soul of house.Can she ever deny.She wished if she could become like her.But truth was she needed her too.To get away with dullness.From her already messed up life.

She peeped outside.Finding lights of garden still on.So late.She frowned and went to open main door.A bit distance she could see Prakash.Sitting on swing.Lost in some thoughts.She have already kept jug.On table.Played with her hands.Standing in spot in a fix.If would have been someone else.It was okay for her to go.But it was her father.With whom she had.Balanced relationship.Can she go and ask him.It was unlikely of him.To be up for this late.

Prakash took deep breath.Looked at his palms.Relaxing his mind with cool breeze.He felt someone's presence.His face had shock written.When he found person was.His daughter and this time.Varna.He knew.He smiled feeling nervous.He wished to be Varna's father.Not to fail her by any actions.

V-"Still awake.So late."

Varna stood acting nervous.After hesitating she spoke finally.

P-"Yeah.I was.

Not sleepy so thought to.It feels calm and relaxed here.This place is nice."

He smiled with something missing.Varna could sense what he had on mind.It was both her and his habit.To shake legs.Moving them.Without any stop.When they felt tensed.Something bothering from inside.She didnt knew when took steps closer to swing.Prakash was in thoughts again.He raised his eyes.To look at her.

V-"Can I sit.Here."

He was surprised.To see his own daughter.Asking for permission.From inside he was overjoyed.But couldnt express except.Giving her nod as yes.

Vivaan wrapped up his late night work.Feeling his neck and back giving up.From study he could heard chirpy.Voice of his wife.Who gave new light to his house.If his family wasnt dull before.Now just got.A bonus in form of Ramya.Reyansh and Nandini were off to their honeymoon.Lata had to go to her husband.For some work.For few days.

He was glad.Ramya was there.Giving active company to Shivani.Else his mother would have.Felt empty house.Eating her up.They were still talking.It looked busy with late night gossip.About who married whom.Neighbors and colleagues affairs.New branded shopping.

He shook his head.Making it to his room.On his way.Alarming his mother.It was too late.Should catch some sleep.He went inside room.Taking breath of relaxation.Work ended.He felt like hitting bed.Did just that.Moving his long legs.Tossing and flipping on empty bed.Waiting for his wife.

He was having headache.Thought to take precaution.Before it worsens.He went to get painkiller.When his eyes fell on something.He had closer look at it.Then frowned.He heard door.Ramya came telling him.What she and Shivani were discussing.In her usual tone.She was non stop blabbering.Till came to him.Ruffling his hair.

He glared at her.She was confused.When he showed her.What he had on hand.As soon as she discovered.What it was.She bit her lips.Feeling nervous.

R-"Vivaan.I."

Vivaan threw the pack of medicine.Which was untouched.On bed in anger.Running his hand through his hairs.Ramya chose to stand.With scared expression.He looked at her with disbelief.Coming closer to her.

V-"How can you Ramya.

Didnt I tell you to.You were fooling me.All this while."

She felt her eyes.Moistening.At his tone.He looked hurt too.She saw the pills.Then remembered his words.Every time.

V-"You missed taking.Them.Willingly?Did you."

He saw her nodding her head.Still keeping her head down.

V-"do you know.Consequences.Ramya look at me."

She face him.With pearl like tears.On her eyes.

V-"Answer me."

R-"yes.

I.I will get.Pregnant."

V-"Which I dont want.Thats why I asked you.To take them whenever we.

But you never.Take my words carefully.Always doing what.You want."

R-"Vivaan please.Hear me out."

V-"Why.

Do you hear me out.Understand me.No.Right."

He was sitting on bed.With his hands on head.She came to sit beside him.Slowly touching his shoulder.He looked other side.

R-"Sorry Vivaan.I hurt you."

V-"You did.

Alot."

R-"But.

I.I thought.We can.have baby.You said.You would love to be father."

V-"Is that how and what.You could make out.Of my words.

Not even half of it.Why.

Chose to make this big decision.Yourself.When it involves us both."

R-"You dont want.Baby."

He shut his eyes.Already in wreck.With pain on head.He didnt wanted to make her.More upset.Dragging the issue.he faced her with.Cold eyes.

V-"Who wouldnt want.Tell me.

But there is time.For everything.Im surprised how.You failed to understand me.Insult my words.And.Did this blunder.Which may cost your health.would be last thing.I would want to happen.hear me out."

He left her in pool.Of thoughts and tears.She didnt take those pills.She knew they wont let her conceive.Thats why she made decision.Did she knew.It may hamper her health if.She conceives baby.Was she perfectly fit for that.She can never lead normal life.Why it was her.She sobbed.Not knowing when she fell.On pillow.Passing for night.

Prakash and Varna both smiled.As they didnt knew.How to start and with what.It was rare of father daughter.To be nervous.For initiating a conversation.Prakash thought to break ice.They were sitting in same swing.Varna had her eyes down.Biting her lips.

P-"It must be weird night.No one feels sleepy."

He tried to laugh.Getting a small smile from her.All he wanted to do was.Let his daughter come out.Of her shell.Wanted to know her more.

P-"Do you sleep this late.Every night."

He used his one leg.To give a move to swing.Varna looked at him.Shaking her head as no.

P-"Thats why always punctual in office.All talk about you."

V-"Good bad or bad way."

She faintly smiled.Playing with her fingers.

P-"Ofcourse in good way.A father feels proud to hear.About his daughter Varna.You made me.One proud father.Its needless to say."

Varna chose to raise her eyes.Didnt she yearned to hear this from him.Did he mean it.Before she could speak.Heard him again.

P-"But you know what makes.Father more proud.Relaxed and relived from tension.When.He sees his daughter leading.Happy life.Settled.What more can he ask for."

V-"Im.Happy.Fine with life."

P-"I think you aren't.

Happiness is something.Which reflects on face and.Eyes.Dont let yourself be burdened.With work.You have a life to.Look forward to."

V-"Work is my life.I.

Enjoy this.I am happy with whatever.Im doing.Please dont take stress.for me."

She felt lump on her throat.Wanted to get up and move to her room.Why she had to come here.

P-"knew you would say.This.Have understood you this much.In years.You have stubborn nature like me.In life.It works.But.We all have to adjust.Accept whats coming our way at times.It helps us to grow.We need someone.To make our life.Better.Some point in life.When your mother came to my life.She made it more beautiful.Successful.When you and Ramya came.It blossomed.

When my wife left me.I.felt shattered."

Varna could see the loneliness.Shattered look in her father.For first time.Was true after thei rmother's death.He neevr chose to let his feelings.Out to them.Keeping himself strong.Raising them up.With love and affection.He forgot his own sorrows.She wanted to console him.Now but didnt knew how.Before a word could escape from her mouth.

P-"Shakthi.Is a very nice guy.

Did you talk with him."

Shakthis's mention made her.Hand stop back to herself.Mouth sealed.She wasnt ready to discuss him.Not that she felt uncomfortable.For she would have behaved normal.It was him after returning.Who didnt contact her.Calls or messages.He didnt turn up for official meetings.Sending someone else on behalf.She didnt give that.Much of importance.Deep inside she felt relived.Fear of facing him.To give an answer overtaken her.

P-"Varna?You there."

V-"yeah.

yes.Shakthi.No.He.

He doesnt come for meetings.Project is handled.By other person."

P-'Did you find out reason.For his absence?"

She looked at him with.Hollow eyes.Stealing glances.

V-"Was too busy with.Work.It must be.His decision.Its okay."

P-"Sometimes it is not ok.

You should have tried to find out.Why is he not coming.Did you contact him?"

He again frowned.Seeing negative response from her.He feared for her.The wall she was building around her.It was raising.With time .

P-"One who cares for us.Befriends us.We meet regularly in life.

We shouldnt keep ourselves away.From sharing good bad moments.With them."

Varna still played with her fingers.her palms sweating.

P-"You may think what Im talking about.That guy has been friend to you.Have hardly seen you interacting with anyone.Lately.It must have been your responsibility.To check on him.Like he did with you.Your family.

He.Is good human.Who ddint take much efforts.To win your family.Didnt he."

Varna remembered how Shakthi.has in this time.Bring some releif to Prakash.After Ramya's wedding he used to be upset.Same was for Karuna.Shakthi's visits and lively talks.Helped them.To recover and.Somewhat made life easy for her.Also.Did she gave it thought.They should thank him.Then didnt she knew why.He was at distance now.

P-"Your Aththai was telling me.He doesnt come now.I got to know.His father is critical.He.

Passed away last evening.From then I had.Weird feeling.For that boy.He is with his family.In this moment giving support.I thought.You must have been with him."

Prakash didnt fail to notice.turmoil on his daughter's face.What she was going on.He kept hand on her head.Which also couldnt bring him back from shock.She just got.

P-"its okay.

Still have time.Call him and.Meet him.Sharing pain can lessen it.he needs you."

That night Varna couldnt sleep.It wasnt because her own misery.Restless mind.She was tormented by.Grief Shakthi must be going through.Remembered times when he was there.Make her laugh.Crack jokes.Creating a place in her secluded life.he had importance in her life.She felt a drop of tear.Touch her cheek.It was for whom.For being coward to face him.Avoiding urge to call him once.Now that she got to know.Should be with him.

Next morning Vivaan was up.He was ready in office clothes.Wearing his watch.Checking his wife from mirror.Her eyes looked puffy.From deriving herself sleep last night.She was sad.He knew but he.Wanted her to realize he wasnt wrong.

He didnt talk to her.Giving her look.Made way out.Ramya stomped her feet.Making a face.

R-"Didnt talk with me.Wish me morning.

Bad husband huh."

She followed him.Downstairs in breakfast table.Seeing helper serving him coffee.Breakfast.Vivaan had hard time.Hiding smile.Watching his wife's antics.She could be funny to melt.Anyone's anger.She eyed helper.Looking at Vivaan while serving food.She burnt with jealousy.Tapped on her shoulder.Glaring at her.

R-"You go.Bring me milkshake.Right now."

The helper had to save herself.From Ramya's angry eyes.Vivaan saw all this.Faking hard.To read newspaper.When Ramya shoved it away.

V-"What is with this.Behavior Ramya."

She pulled chair.Close to him.Sitting and holding his hand.There was no one in house.Which made situation.Less awkward for them.

R-"Still angry with me.Why.

I cant bear your angry.Man mode.Please."

He found helper.Coming with milkshake.Saw Ramya's breakfast untouched.He glared at her.

V-"Why didnt you have breakfast.See time.So late.

Stop acting like kid.You are no longer.One."

He passed her plate.Taking his coffee.Drinking it.he choked on it.As felt her lips on his cheek.She came to sit on his lap.Making him widen his eyes.To see if anyone was around.

V-"Ramya.Mad or what.

What are you doing.Someone will see.Get up."

She tightened her hold.Around his shoulder.Resting her head there.Pouting her lips.

R-"This should be.My line.Leave me someone will come.Boring.Man Vivaan."

He smiled finally.No one was around.He had to lose.With this brat.He made her face him.She played with buttons of his shirt.

V-"Have your breakfast.Need to take medicines also."

R-"hate taking them.

How long do I have to."

He could see.Sadness on her face.She again hugged him.

V-"Drama queen.Stop this.

These are only vitamin tablets."

R-"Still angry with me.Say first."

She tried to have sip from his coffee.Till he finished it off.She smacked his shoulder.Lightly.

R-"vivaaan."

V-"yes,

Im angry with you.Happy?Why do you think.I shouldnt be."

She pursed her lips.Looking down.

R-"because.It was small issue.

No need to fight.You scolded me.I said sorry.Forget this."

V-"It wasnt.Ramya.

You think your health is.Small issue for me.You got me wrong then.You mean world to me.Dont you know.That.From time you came to my life.I feel I.Started living a dream.You made me believe.On dreams.Dont you want us.To see those dreams.Again and live them."

He cupped her face.She gave a nod to each of his word.He kissed her head.She hugged him.Tightly.Shedding tears.He felt bad.

V-"Hey.I m sorry.

I didnt wanted to.Make you cry.I cant help myself.Dont do anything which.Will harm you.I wont bear that.Ok."

She wiped her tears.Biting her lips.He made her.Have milkshake.She looked cute.With cat face beard.he pinched her red cheeks.

She released him.getting out of his hold.He stood up.Wiping his mouth.With napkin.She was standing.With uncertain look on face.He asked her through eyes.

R-"Vivaan.We cant have baby."

V-"who says that."

She sounded.Scared and her voice was bit shaky.

R-"My heart is weak.Will I be able to."

he pulled her hand.Made it touch near his heart.Ramya frowned.He faked expression.

V-"Did you hear it.

yes its beating.Sounds fine.Strong.How can you call.This weak."

R-"What are you saying."

He clutched her hand.Tightly near his heart.Spoke to her with intense eyes.

V-"This is your heart Ramya.Resides here.Such injustice.Calling this weak.Didnt I tell you before.Never ever.Do this mistake.Else I will.Bite you."

She giggled as he pulled her closer.Biting her cheek.He placed kiss on head.Brushing her hair.

R-"Anger gone?"

V-"For this time.Next time.You will bear brunt.

Beware.

Dont let these.Stupid thoughts.Invade your mind.I have suggestion for you.Why dont you shop.Go for movie have some fun."

R-"With whom.Trisha is busy with her.Marriage preparations.

Have no one else here.Nandi is not here.Mom is not home.Lata Aththai also not here."

V-"I know.Such big problem.

Do one thing.Manage for day.I will be home early.Then we can plan.Shopping.Dinner and.Dessert special time.In my style."

His wink made her blush.She hit him on chest.He finished it off with kiss.Ramya stood at entrance door.Waving at him.As he left for work.He was blessing for her in life.His words calmed her.But she wasnt fully satisfied.She thought to dial number.Taking appointment.For gynecologist.

Varna was standing.Outside gates of Shakthi's house.She could see place crowded with people.All visitors in white clothes.her heart thumped with fear.An uneasy feeling.She played with her chain.Thinking how to make her entry.

Breaking her nervous self.She made it to his house.Seeing what made her shock.The guy who made her laugh.Smile always was sitting.With pale face.Puffy eyes.Looking tired.With joined hands.Nodding his head.To visitors.Some keeping hand on his head.Some crying.His elder brother and his wife.Was also present.Attending to guests.

Wasnt soon when his eyes met hers.Among the grief his face.Gave faint smile.Eyes felt it got to see.What was waiting for.Shakthi's brother Sampath could recognize Varna.Nodding at his brother.To receive her.

Varna didnt knew.How to face him.She kept being herself.Till he stared at her.Taking her some different.Corner of house.With not much people around.They were walking in his garden.She could see him.Tired.But surprised with behavior.he was maintaining towards her.he rubbed his neck walking with her.

V-"Angry with me.?"

He frowned at her words.

Sh-"Why.Did you feel so."

V-"Im sorry.

For loss.I.Dont know what to.Say."

Shakthi smiled at girl he knew.Fumbling.She wasnt meeting his eyes.

Sh-"Varna Shetty fumbling.Trying to look for words.

First time."

V-"I wish I was.Not like this."

S-"Not like what?"

V-"Like how.I am."

He could see her.In tears.But she hid them.Being best at it.

Sh-"It would have been.Difficult for me.Then.

To fall for you."

Varna looked at his eyes.For a second she have forgotten.Her turned down life.Everything.Except last words of Priyam.When she was coming here.There is nothing wrong in taking chances.When life is giving you.One.Embrace it.Shakthi is one for you.

Their silence turned awkward soon.With Shakthi freezing at his spot.As they stopped walking.He turned to look at her.She rubbed her neck.Feeling thirsty for water.

Sh-"Why did you come.Varna."

V-"to.See you."

Sh-"I take that as.Formality.Thanks.

Then.What next."

V-"What."

Sh-"We anticipate with eagerness.What we wait for.

Without knowing consequence.I did something.Knowing result.Still battled with my heart.All these days.For impossible to happen.I fooled myself.Its okay.When one is in love.Bound to be.Blind."

At mention of love.She widened her eyes.Then instantly move from his gaze.

V-"I.

Should leave now.You have guests.Will meet you.Soon.

take care."

She went in hurry.To be stopped by his voice.As he walked her to her car.She bit her lips.

Sh-"Thanks for coming Varna.

Dont know.It meant. A lot to.Me.See you."

He closed door for her.Till her car left place.Missing his view standing there.With arms crossed.Varna felt disturbed.Her heart again caught up.In heated trouble.

A week later Ramya was sitting inside room.Of doctor's cabin.Doctor Sanaya Dixit was an expert in her field.As a doctor.She was suggested to Ramya by Trisha.She knew if had asked Vivaan to come with her.he would have blasted at her.If someone else from family.They would have worried.which she did not wanted.

It was nail biting moment for her.When Doctor came.Smiling at her with reports on hand.Ramya drank some water out of nervousness.She had her fingers crossed.This was blessing for any woman.If she fails to give this happiness.To husband her life becomes.Meaningless.Mother hood is something she.Wanted to feel every step.But her worries.would knew no stop.Knowing her medical condition.

R-"Doctor.

My reports.I.Can have baby.

Right?"

She crossed her fingers.Almost feeling her heart busting.With uneasy emotions.When doctor smiled at her.Keeping her glasses down.

" Ramya.Congratulations.You are already.Expecting."

.............................................................................................................

Touched and overwhelmed with comments.All what you had to say.For the issue with story.Its an honor for me.To see so much love pouring out.For this book and also.I would confess.Readers like you who.Never judge writer and support them.With faith are blessings.

Thank you.To each one of you.I respect your opinion.As much as you do mine.Glad to continue writing for you.Those who were upset and.Are still I can apologize and.Say if hurt anyone.No harsh feelings from my side.Nothing personal please.

This chapter I readied last night.So thought to update.

Do not forget to vote and comment please.

:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.6K 2.2K 25
Marry you pls me will ? - Huh ? Did I read it right ?? Yes you did ! Weird title but why is it so ?? Read to find out ! 😜😁 This is a short fanficti...
12.9K 1.2K 24
A short story A story of two brave military personnel from different armed forces. A Combat Medic and A Navy Officer. A regular love story with a p...
214K 10.1K 56
A simple love story of two childhood frnds, they depart from each other, and finally when they meet again... did they have their old feelings now...
10.6K 616 5
True Love has a habit of coming back!!! {Five Parts Story on Pranushka} Cover Design By: @DrabbleLove (Enchanted Graphics)