Bleeding Demons: The Dark Blo...

By Lady_Lucia

Demon World has a bloody past. It holds the initial tides of the demonic civil war, and it is what started th... More

Author's Note
Prelude
Chapter 1 - The Sangrar Legacy
Chapter 3 - The Naive Price and the Disowned Child
Chapter 4 - The Blades of Betrayal
Chapter 5 - A Fractured Vow
Chapter 6 - Apples and Flowers
Chapter 7 - Segments of a Smile
Chapter 8 - After Centuries Passed
Chapter 9 - Bathed in White
Chapter 10 - Upstart
Chapter 11 - Kiss and Trauma
Chapter 11 - R Rated Scene
Author's Note
Chapter 12 - Reason of Misfortune
Chapter 13 - Shielding Faith
Chapter 14 - False Faces
Chapter 15 - Harvest
Chapter 16 - The Broken Jade and Onyx World
Chapter 17 - The Brushstrokes of Memories
Chapter 18 - Talking to Flowers
Chapter 19 - Rebirth
After
Chapter 20 - The Yearn for Familiar Faces
Chapter 21 - Arrival
Epilogue
Art: Gahn, Erian, and Cerus
Art: Headshots
Extra: Smashed
Extra: What if? Gahn x Reyna

Chapter 2 - A King Above Burdens

2K 151 22
By Lady_Lucia

Dedicated to RaspyKae for all her support. She's a pretty cool chick that has an amazing talent for writing and was awesome enough to pick my stuff to read. :D

2.

A King Above Burdens

Auronmar was blind.

The whispering of his boots sweeping over grass was the only noise he heard, but it was a comforting sound, especially because it was accompanied by another set of sweeping feet. It was Blethinette that walked in front of him.

"Almost there," she said. "Are you nervous?"

He could hear the excitement in her voice and could picture the smile on her lips, but her own anxiety still pushed through. Auronmar shook his head though he wasn't sure if she saw it. "I think you are more nervous than I am."

She laughed. It was a sexy crescendo that ended on the same note it started with. Auronmar grinned at learning something new about her. Perhaps it wasn't so bad being unable to see. Or feel, or smell, or taste, or enjoy any other array of senses.

He knew the location of the Aqua Oscura was a secret only known to the Sangrar-born family, but he hadn't expected to be deprived as he was on his way to it. His Mahou had been sealed away as well. Auronmar was blind in more ways than one. The only sensory skills left to him were the ability to hear and, of course, talk.

It felt alien to be deprived of them. The only thing that kept his nerves at bay was the fact that Blethinette was standing by him. He didn't need to see to know she was there. He could feel it without having the ability to feel. Hand in hand, she guided him towards their destination; though it frustrated him he was unable to feel her skin on his.

He sighed.

"There is another reason why your ability to feel has been taken away," he heard Blethinette say.

"That sounds promising," he said.

"Mother is also as blinded as you, dear. Do not feel too distressed." Her tone offered comfort.

He smiled, feeling odd to not know when to stop pulling his lips.

"We are here," Blethinette said, her voice grim.

Auronmar frowned. This ceremony was what she had been waiting for for two and a half decades. A memory flooded his mind-if anything he was glad he still had the ability to reminisce. He remembered when a still budding Blethinette had bound up to him with a huge smile on her face.

"I'm bleeding," she had exclaimed.

At first he thought she was hurt and needed help. What she meant dawned on him seconds later, and he found himself at a loss for words.

"That means we can get married soon!"

Her cute face and shining eyes helped him find his voice. "Of course, princess."

After that, she was the one that arranged their meetings. It was amusing seeing the little princess fuss over her curtsies and speech in his presence, blushing when she realized her words were out of line or her manners were not up to par to what they should have been. She arranged to see him enough times that he had the pleasure to watch her grow.

He watched her bouncy and adorable etiquette evolve into a sophisticated and often intimidating poise. He watched as her awkward actions smoothed out into elegant movements that swayed him and at times left him aching. He watched as her smiles and gestures captured him. He watched as he found himself desiring to spend all his time with her.

It wasn't till the night before one of Blethinette's name days-staring at the gift he had for her, contemplating that it was not enough, nothing was enough-that he caught himself falling for the little princess. Only she wasn't a little princess anymore. She was a woman, and she was beautiful.

"This will not hurt, dear," Blethinette said, bringing Auronmar back from his memories.

He didn't know what she meant, but he heard the slick sound of flesh being penetrated followed by the flowing of blood. He wasn't sure, but he thought he swayed and Blethinette caught him.

"I am sorry, dear," her voice was heard, "but we need a great amount of blood to admit you to the fountain. Once inside, I shall heal you."

The sound of running water filled his ears, and he realized he was standing within a privileged and sacred place where only royalty were allowed entrance. If only he had possession of his other senses to appreciate it better...

Blethinette beckoned him to walk, and he did, relying on muscle memory to keep him balanced. As he did, he heard the king speak, but Auronmar ignored his words, striving to listen to what was around him. He caught the whisper of wind through foliage and the clomping of his boots on a hard surface. It wasn't till he heard his name that his attention was drawn towards the ceremony's speech.

"I, Sondin Sangrar accept you, Auronmar Rubio. Discard your lineage and accept the blood," the king said.

"I, Della Sangrar accept you, Auronmar Rubio. Discard your lineage and accept the blood," the queen echoed.

Auronmar turned towards the sound of the voices though he knew only the king was able to see him. The queen was blinded and senseless just like him, for she is also not a true Sangrar. Even now, the fountain's location would remain a secret to her as it would forever remain a secret to him.

He felt Blethinette let go of his hand without feeling it. It wasn't till a minute later of standing in silence that he sensed her with him again.

He heard her voice say, "I, Blethinette Sangrar accept you, Auronmar Rubio. Discard your lineage and accept my blood. Become my whole and become my king."

His ability to feel, and only feel, returned to him and brought along the world's touch. Wind kissed his skin. The sensation of being surrounded by grass, sky, and people dawned on him. A dull ache on his side reminiscent to a blade wound bothered him.

"Here, dear," Blethinette whispered to him as she brought something soft to his lips, "eat it."

He accepted the gift, consuming the thin texture that was given to him. It was tart but he forced it down.

"It is not so much the blood that binds you, but it is your sense of unity that now holds you together and will hold you together so long as you accept yourselves as one," King Sondin said, his voice like sandpaper. "Fuse your unity, Auronmar and Blethinette."

He hadn't finished his sentence when Blethinette's lips pressed onto his. A surge of power filled him, unlocking the Mahou seal that was earlier placed on him before entering the fountain. Pools of power manifested inside of him. He could feel each branch of Mahou flow through his body, raw and potent, and recognized each one as it poured into his existence.

The rush made his head swim; time was an unknown entity. It felt like days until he was able to see and touch and smell and taste and more again, but when normality settled upon him, he knew it was hours at most that had passed. He found himself back in the castle, alone with Blethinette.

They were in a room furnished by couches, tables, and other random ornaments Auronmar didn't care for. His attention was drawn towards his new wife before him. It was the first he had seen of her all day.

She was dressed in her usual ruffles, but this time they hardly hid anything. Her skirt was open in the front in an upside down "v" fashion, the curved hem falling behind her legs to pool on the ground. Her blouse hung on her like a second skin held together by a single buckle over her breasts. She stepped up to him, her bare feet silent on the cool floor.

"Mother and Father know they shall die tomorrow," Blethinette whispered as she caressed his cheek.

He knew his words were empty, for Blethinette held nothing for her parents, but Auronmar nonetheless said, "I am sorry, beloved."

As expected, she shook her head. "I do not care. It simply means we will be king and queen come morning, but first, dear..."

Auronmar felt her hand slide in his. He gripped it, ecstatic to be able to touch again. She pressed against him and he couldn't resist; his eyes dipped down to her chest. She giggled, making the view for him more spectacular.

"Come, dear," she said and pulled him across the room to the bed-another piece of furniture Auronmar had failed to notice.

Unlike their walk to the fountain, Blethinette's steps were slow, her body swaying. As much as Auronmar enjoyed the view, he was also impatient. He swept her up in his arms, closed the distance to the bed in a few quick strides, and was kissing her by the time they fell upon the sheets.

~*~*~

It was difficult to join Blethinette in the nursery, but Auronmar was glad he had found time to do so that morning. He had dismissed his Guard, Levin, as he usually did when visiting. Blethinette, who also dismisses her own Guard, Emery, when visiting, insisted their trips to the nursery were more sincere without the Guards escorting them.

When Auronmar arrived, his wife was already there, walking past towering shelves filled with blankets, pillows, and other comforting objects that were still unfamiliar to him. There was only one crib in the middle of the room. It was draped in varying hues of purple, the colors of the babe's family. The baby boy was the only one in the nursery for now, the mark of the new generation's start.

He and the other Superior babes would be taken care of in this room for about a year, which was how long it took for their Mahou to surface. When it does, the castle's Mahou trainer will step in to channel their raw Mahou and mentally and physically stabilize the children, instilling the power in the infants' body.

The first few years of life was a rotation between the nanny's nurturing and the trainer's channeling. When the child showed signs of advanced communication and a display of understanding his Mahou, he would be released to his parents where the rest of his Mahou training would be provided. It is a process that takes anywhere between three to five years, depending on the babe.

However, the child cradled in Blethinette's arms would have a different upbringing. As the first born male of his generation, he was destined to be a Guard which meant he would be given to Auronmar's own Guard, Levin, for training instead of to his parents.

Auronmar leaned on the doorframe, entertaining the idea if this babe would be a Guard to his son or to his daughter's husband. He smiled. Though Blethinette wanted a son, many sons, he hoped to have at least one daughter.

"Good morning, Neeri," Blethinette said as she came up to the fox-looking Upper that had her back towards her.

The nanny turned around and bowed. "Good morning, Your Grace. I apologize for not having noticed you. I was separating and preparing the milk Aessi left this morning for her child."

"Aessi was here? How unfortunate I did not catch her."

A soft cry caught Blethinette's attention. She turned around and locked sights with Auronmar. She gave him a smile that told him she was happy to have him there, but he knew her entire attention was now going to be given to the cooing baby in the crib.

"Your Grace." Neeri had an empty small bottle in her hands. "I shall prepare the milk."

Auronmar smiled. The nanny knew the queen always wanted to feed the baby whenever she could. Blethinette picked up the child wrapped in violet blankets. A blonde head peeked from them. She cupped it within her hand that was free of claws. One time she had accidently nicked his cheek. Blethinette cried to Auronmar that night, repeating how terrible she felt. It was one of the rare times her usual elegance was shattered.

Blethinette sat on one of the puffed up chairs, her skirts draping over the seat. "Good morning, Gahn," she spoke to the baby in her arms with a smile. "How are you today? Did you sleep well, my dear?"

He answered by raising his arms in the air, clutching at the finger Blethinette offered him.

"Yes, dear! You are so strong!" She giggled, smoothing the locks on his head.

Neeri appeared next to the queen, a bottle of warm milk in her hands. Blethinette accepted it and gave it to baby Gahn. She smiled as he fed.

Auronmar's mood soured when he realized he didn't have much time left before he had to meet with his council. He sighed.

Another portal had been discovered. It was not strange to come across them from time to time, but too many were appearing too fast. It was no secret what was on the other side of the gateway. The legend of Furiae and Tides creating the Earth was known to all demons, a tale told to put children to sleep, but it was also that same story that fueled curiosity and bloodlust: sparks that could lead to something darker.

He pushed those thoughts away and chose to enjoy his free time. Auronmar walked to his wife and leaned next to her. Gahn's yellow eyes flickered towards him. They were so light and clear they appeared like sun crystals. The king ran a thumb on the tiny hand that fumbled at the bottle in its grasp. Blethinette slapped Auronmar's hand away since his claws were not trimmed like hers.

"I do not want you to hurt him," she said and sighed. "Is he not adorable, dear? I do not know why Aessi does not come visit him every day."

"Perhaps because you do it for her," he teased.

She gave him a playful glare, but when her sight landed on Gahn her eyes softened and a glow fell over her face.

Sadness clenched at Auronmar's chest. They had been trying to conceive for three years but were only met with miscarriages. There had been an occasion when one of the pregnancies had held through, but when the babe had been delivered, it came into the world as a stillborn. Auronmar's hand gripped the edge of the chair as he recalled the countless nights he would cradle a silently crying Blethinette in his arms.

For almost a year, she withdrew into a shell of quiet malice. She was a Sangrar. She was power. She was beauty. These shameful things did not happen to her. They were not supposed to happen to her.

It wasn't till Gahn was born that her demeanor changed. It was not required, nor even heard of, for the king and queen to visit the babes brought up in the nursery. Though they both knew the reasons for their visits, neither voiced it. Blethinette was here because she wanted to be, and that's how it would be told.

It was of no matter to Auronmar anyway, especially because he had to admit even he felt a bond towards the blond boy in his wife's arms. His wife's love for this babe-for all the babies that would come-unlocked something within him: the realization that all those around him were lives. They were all individuals with beating hearts whether they were a Lower or a Dark Blood.

Gahn and his generation depended on Auronmar. It was his duty to leave them a world to live and grow up in. It was his obligation because, as Blethinette told him countless of times, they were his and her children.

~*~*~

"Good job, my dear! You rolled over!" Blethinette said to the newborn before her.

She was sitting on the carpeted floor, her skirts serving as blankets on which the baby to roam around. He had shifted from his back to his side, facing the excited Blethinette. She lifted him, cradled him to her chest, and filled his face with kisses.

Auronmar smiled from his seat next to her. It had been months since his last nursery visit, but since then another addition had been added to the room: his own son. The chubby boy with a head of black hair was currently nestled within his mother's arms, looking at her with grey-blue eyes that Auronmar was proud of.

"Auar!"

He looked down to the small boy sitting on his lap. "Yes, Gahn?"

The toddler pointed at a stack of bound papers a few feet away from them and looked back up at Auronmar.

"Go on and bring it," he told him, giving his small back a nudge.

Though Gahn's speech was still developing, he could understand well. He rose to his feet, his body swaying as he obtained his footing. His pacing was slow but confident. Each step was taken without hesitation but never followed by the next one until his balance was set. When Gahn picked up the picture book, he turned to Auronmar with a look of triumph in his golden eyes.

Blethinette laughed and sat her son on her lap. "Look, Verden, my dear. Soon you will be walking like Gahn there. Did he not do an excellent job?"

A bashful smile curled on Gahn's lips.

"Big and strong Gahn will be your Guard one day, my dear. You will be in good hands, right Gahn?"

The little boy nodded once, his smile widening.

"Your Grace, I am sorry to interrupt."

Auronmar turned to the voice behind him to see Suld, one of his council members, standing in the room. There was distress in his silver eyes and his hands were ringing around each other.

The king sighed. Another portal has appeared.

"The council has assembled. We have information of those involved," Suld said, over articulating his words.

Auronmar was on his feet, walking towards him. Information from corpses is difficult to obtain.

"Auar?"

The whispered voice froze his steps, but it was the soft thud that caused him to turn around. Auronmar saw Gahn had fallen on the ground, the picture book still in his grasp. Teary eyes pleaded for him to stay.

"Gahn," he said.

Blethinette kneeled next to the boy and lifted him with one arm while she held Verden in the other. "It is fine, Gahn. Auronmar shall come visit you another day."

He looked between the three adults in front of him before resting his head on Blethinette's shoulder.

"It is okay, dear," she told him.

"I will come again, Gahn, alright?" Auronmar said but the boy didn't face him.

He pushed the image of Gahn's teary face out of his mind as Auronmar joined Suld out in the hallway. The king led the way to the throne room. Though Suld was talking to him, he was not listening. It was all the same. The humans were opening portals but if by accident or on purpose was still to be defined. In fact, it was the main discussions of the meetings every time corpses would be found by a fresh gateway.

Was it war they wanted, tearing through their two worlds and killing the demons they came upon? Were they unintentionally stumbling through and merely defending themselves when attacked? The only evidence ever found were bloody bodies, and the dead do not speak.

Auronmar sighed as Suld scurried ahead of him to open the doors to the throne room. The king entered, silencing the room as the members stood from the oval table. Auronmar passed walls decorated with hanging tapestries. Vines entwined around them, granting the room light with their glowing, bloomed flowers.

Auronmar sat at the head of the table-where Levin was waiting for him next to his seat-and prepared himself for the usual debate. The hours crawled by, each one adding another sharp pain to his back and a spike of ache through his temple. He had kept his words to a minimum, observing and listening as the five council members spoke, yelled, and hissed among each other.

"The casualties have only been twelve. That is hardly the base for war," Tonad said, gazing at the demons around him with neon blue eyes. He was one of the two members within the council arguing to keep forces out of the human world.

Suld shook his head. "Twelve within the past few months. Such is too much. We need-"

"Has it not occurred to you that these humans have also suffered deaths as well? Twenty-six to our twelve," said another member named Quint.

Auronmar shot him a look. It always amazed him how much his son Gahn looked like him.

"You would think their high count of casualties would keep them at bay," another voice said across the table.

"It was us that initiated it. Why should we hold it against them if they insist-"

"That attack was not confirmed."

"Yes, he was a rogue demon."

"They are not aware of that. They see it-"

"Why should we care what they think?"

Auronmar sighed. This had gone on for long enough.

"The humans that have crossed over into our world have abilities capable of defeating Lower demons and even Upper demons that wield Mahou. Until I have more evidence that these humans have malicious intentions, I shall not mindlessly send lives up against them to die," Auronmar said.

"But sire, more shall die regardless. Is it not understood they are weak? An attack against them, perhaps a Superior-"

"Thank you for your time. This meeting has ended." Auronmar stood and walked out of the room, Levin following him.

The darkened windows showed night had come, but the flower lights hanging from the ceiling guided Auronmar back to his room. The only noise was the sound of his and Levin's footsteps.

"Levin, what did you see at the portal that appeared today?" Auronmar asked as they walked down one of the endless hallways in the castle.

The Seer was taller than Auronmar's already impressive stature. Coupled with his white and gold Guard uniform, he presented a proud and intimidating demeanor.

"Master Auronmar," he said, "why do you consistently ask such questions when the answer is known to you?"

"Because I trust you, Levin. I trust what you have seen over what my council claims to have seen."

Levin sighed. "There were bodies as there always are. The dead demons were sprawled on the ground, some limbless, but the main maiming of their bodies were the fatal wounds. The human corpses, however, were clawed open, entrails and meat eaten, bones cracked and gnawed upon, and heads smashed and broken."

Silence reigned for a few minutes.

Auronmar sighed. "Such details always seem to be left out in our meetings, are they not, Levin?"

~*~*~

They were arguing again.

Auronmar could still hear Blethinette's curses as he stepped out of their bedroom. He had hoped to have a night where they both went to sleep without yelling at each other, but this seemed to be their adopted routine that had persisted for over a month now.

"Auronmar!" Blethinette followed him and stood under the bedroom's doorway. The dim light hugged her hips and breasts through her negligee.

He raked his hair out of his face and sighed. "I do not want to go through this again."

She crossed her arms. "They are talking of this, Auronmar. The kingdom. Your subordinates. Your council members. Your people. I hear the whispers of what they say of you. Of us. Of the Sangrar name."

He sighed.

She came up to him. "They see us as weak rulers. Why have you not claimed war upon the humans that dare invade our land?"

Auronmar stared at her green eyes. There was malice brewing in them and for the past month that was all he saw in them. He walked away from her. "Return to bed, Blethinette."

"No," she uttered.

He heard her swift footsteps march towards him. Auronmar gripped the back of the chair in front of him so hard he felt every muscle in his arms flex. The chair broke with the combined sound of wood splintering and silk shredding.

Blethinette tsk'd. "You must stop breaking all of our furniture, dear."

"Perhaps I will if you cease your spewing. Every night it is the same, Blethinette. Why do you question what you have no control over?"

Her Mahou escaped its seal for a moment. "I should be the one with the control of this situation. I am the true Sangrar, not you, yet here you are, bringing shame upon the name. My name. You are allowing such an inferior race to infiltrate our world. It is an insult!"

"Blethinette-"

"Father would never have had allowed this to happen. He would not have allowed any humans to live," she hissed.

Auronmar balled his hands, pushing his growl down his throat.

"That is what it is, is it not?" Blethinette whispered after a few seconds of silence. "Your son is human. You will not claim war upon those of your son's kind."

"'Your son' you name him, but he is yours as well. Verden is our son, Blethinette."

She blinked and a small snarl passed her lips as if that fact was new to her. "His human roots no longer remain a secret."

Auronmar stiffened.

"He has the Dark Blood power in his veins. He is even marked, yet his secret has been revealed. I do not know how. Neeri is his only caregiver for that reason, but you cannot deny his appearance. He grows no fangs or claws. His development is slower. Gahn could understand our words at his first year of age yet Verden still babbles at us." Her voice was odd and monotone.

A wave of horror rolled over Auronmar. "What are you saying?"

"A human will not be accepted as king. He may as well die before we do. In fact, he probably will. Aessi and Kimir have begun to question his development when they drop off their milk for Gahn and Radi, Neeri tells me. If we lose the respect of the Superiors, what do you think will occur after that?

"It is the Sangrar name that rules! It is that name that bears the power of Mahou. It is that name that holds honor. We cannot show that if we refuse to attack weak humans that force their way into our world. We cannot show that if we have a human for a son!"

Blethinette looked up at Auronmar with a face he did not recognize. He trembled with his anger. With the nearest piece of furniture already broken, he had to release his frustration with a growl. It did not seem to faze Blethinette; her expression remained hard and stoic.

A knock came from the door. It was loud and urgent, followed by Neeri's voice. "Your Graces, I am sorry to intrude, but Verden-"

Auronmar didn't hear the rest. He rushed to the door and opened it. I remember a Blethinette that insisted on having Verden sleep with us instead of leaving him in the nursery with Neeri. When did that woman leave me?

"Your Grace!" the Upper said when she saw him.

Blethinette came up from behind him with a robe. "Dress yourself, dear. You are half naked," she spoke to Auronmar but glared at Neeri.

He rolled his eyes but put on the garment. "What about Verden?" he asked the Upper.

"He"-her eyes flickered to Blethinette-"he woke up covered in blood. I have already stabilized him with a Healer and he is out of any danger for now."

"For now?" Auronmar lost the ability to breathe for a moment.

Neeri's ears flopped to her skull. "It seems he is sick, Your Grace."

"Sick?"

"Yes, Your Grace. Healers cannot heal diseases, as you know, but it seems-"

Auronmar teleported to the nursery. The only light was from a single flower in the corner of the room. Three cribs were illuminated by it. He passed by Radi and Gahn's, giving each a glance of concern-his anger returned when he noticed the other nanny was still asleep in her bed-as he made his way to Verden's bunk. His chest coiled with anxiety.

When he saw Verden's sleeping face, he sighed in relief. His hesitation returned when he saw dried blood on his cheeks and bloody sheets piled on the floor next to the crib. Auronmar picked up Verden's tiny body and pressed him to his chest as if that would make his affliction disappear.

He has not even reached a year of age yet. He cannot be taken.

Auronmar turned around, feeling eyes upon him. Blethinette stood in the middle of the room. The dim light shadowed most of her body save for her face. It held an impassive expression, but Auronmar felt like there was something sinister under it, almost like she was satisfied with what she was seeing. Auronmar would remember that night when that same expression visited Blethinette's face during Verden's burial.

******************

Author's Note: So. Hi. *ahem* >_>

Yes, I know I took FOREVER to update. I am so sorry about that! Ugh! In my defense...I was sick with a pretty nasty infection, but after that I can only admit and chalk it up to laziness. I hope this lengthy chapter makes up for it...though there are probably a million typos in it.

Just so you know--'cause I had some of you ask--yes, this is taking place in the past, but nooooooo...it does not mean this entire book will take place in the past. It's only going to be for the next two chapters. It explains stuff that needs to be...explained, and, essentially, this is the story that Umbra is telling to Ram for him to show to Reyna and the others. You'll see. x3

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 1.9K 56
After a traumatic incident, Erina was never the same. She wasn't always an outcast. The Fae in New Mere just never looked at her the same since. The...
1.1K 152 33
They say time heals all wounds, but when you can live eons, how much time do you need? As the nine realms continue to slowly recover from the battle...
774 71 54
(Book 2 of the Dark Reincarnation series) On a journey to reunite with her mom and trying to survive in a world gone to war, Rose will stop at nothin...
501K 13.4K 42
The fate of a not so human king and a definitely human girl became entangled in a single meeting. A teenage girl from the 21st century somehow ended...